Dargo

Gosh! And here I was havin' SO much fun with that "Ben Must Go" thread!

84 posts in this topic

Why do the moderators always do this to me???

(...what a bunch of spoilsports!) 

;)

LOL

• Haha 3

Aww dang, and I was going to read that! :(

16 minutes ago, Dargo said:

;)

LOL

Gosh, Dargo, you reacted to a post I made. I was rudely denied permission to view content. Little did I know at the time that this was my way of learning that the thread had ceased to exist. And now I will live in everlasting ignorance. But don't bother to inform me what it was. It won't help. I am living in everlasting ignorance with just about everything else anyway.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Kay said:

Aww dang, and I was going to read that! :(

In all seriousness here Kay, I have NO idea why the mods would have felt the need to delete that thread which was started by (most likely) another "one post wonder", as there was no, and I repeat NO interpersonal "firestorm" even smoldering within it at all.

Well okay, I DO have ONE "idea" here, and that would be that just as the mods have previously deleted threads started by someone, usually a newbie, who's dissatisfied with one or more of the TCM hosts, the mods seem to feel the need to "defend" the hosts by use of this "power" they wield, and that THIS was probably another case of this.

(...yep, that's the IMPRESSION they seem to give to ME whenever they resort to this, anyway)   

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Well okay, I DO have ONE "idea" here, and that would be that just as the mods have previously deleted threads started by someone, usually a newbie, who's dissatisfied with one or more of the TCM hosts, the mods seem to feel the need to "defend" the hosts by use of this "power" they wield, and that THIS was probably another case of this.

Talk about the movies, not about each other is a great rule and I think that's what they were thinking. "Each other" would include other forum members as well as the television crews, moderators, and others of the local community.  I'm probably stuffy as all get out but I would have zapped the thread after the opening post.

18 minutes ago, laffite said:

Talk about the movies, not about each other is a great rule and I think that's what they were thinking.

That was part of my response to the original post.  I was commenting on how Ben veers off point and stops talking about the movies he's introducing and decides to make jokes that are far afield from, what I have long assumed was, the point of the Presenters job to offer insight to the film airing.

• Like 1

Personally, I don't object to commentary on whomever the present moderators may be. There were endless threads on here not so long ago bashing Tiffany Vazquez (I think her name was? Not making the effort to look it up) as a teenybopper who had really terrible fashion sense, and I don't recall the mods seeing fit to ever delete those. And her departure from hosting duties was celebrated as one of the greatest moments in the history of humankind on these boards, and those didn't get deleted, either. And also a lot of attacks on Ben having some marginal, occasional presence on some liberal podcasts. But possibly there's a new, more aggressive mod assigned to tcm.com message board duty recently, which I assume is extremely low-importance, garbage duty, as we are probably some dusty relic of the past, and talking about TCM on Facebook or Twitter is what's important to TCM. Certainly Eddie Mueller is never in his entire life going to say thanks to the people who support Noir Alley on the tcm.com message boards, because nobody gives a crap about us other than to censor us. I do vehemently dislike the idea of a thread being deleted because someone said "I don't like this host". That, to my knowledge has never previously been the case in the history of these message boards, and even though I thought the OP was an idiot and/or a troll, I would defend his/her right to be able to express that opinion.

I was gonna go into a lengthy harangue about the OP's assertion that classic movies promoted a wholesome, conservative viewpoint, which he/she believed was what drew most viewers into TCM. I was gonna say, okay, sure, maybe the Andy Hardy movies and most John Wayne Westerns, but the movies have always had some thankfully screwed-up, off-kilter presentations of life, from all those steamy pre-Codes to noirs, in which, because of the Code, crime had to pay, but all those criminals sure looked glamorous and like life was pretty fun while they were getting away with it. Also, plenty of classic movies tackled any number of social issues from what I would say was usually a liberal viewpoint. I thought the OP had an extremely limited concept of what defined a classic film and was anxious to tell him/her so, although as has been pointed out, he/she may well have been a Russian bot trying to make sure Trump gets re-elected.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

That was part of my response to the original post.  I was commenting on how Ben veers off point and stops talking about the movies he's introducing and decides to make jokes that are far afield from, what I have long assumed was, the point of the Presenters job to offer insight to the film airing.

Yeah, I agree with you. His "humor" really just falls flat to me. I don't particularly care for him and usually just mute him when he introduces. I'm glad that Malone hosts the Imports now. I much prefer her to Ben.

• Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, laffite said:

Talk about the movies, not about each other is a great rule and I think that's what they were thinking. "Each other" would include other forum members as well as the television crews, moderators, and others of the local community.  I'm probably stuffy as all get out but I would have zapped the thread after the opening post.

Not a bad point here I suppose laffite, however while I would and did in fact disagree with the OP's "complaint" about Ben, let us also remember here that Ben IS and as jakeem mentioned in that thread "the new face of TCM", and thus IS an "integral part" of viewing this channel.

And so I ask: where would or should all those (clueless Right-Wing nut case) viewers who don't like Ben (because he's not one of them) voice their concerns about this at this website?  ;)

(...and besides, PERSONALLY, I usually have a WHOLE lot of fun at the expense of those kinds of clueless Right-Wing nut case viewers who come on here and want their complaint registered...and so there's that TOO!!!)

LOL

19 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Certainly Eddie Mueller is never in his entire life going to say thanks to the people who support Noir Alley on the tcm.com message boards...

As much as I like Eddie and his intros I have to agree with your point here. I often think the message board will eventually become a thing of the past.

Just like IMDB did away with theirs feeling that there were other places for people to comment on movies and actors.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

As much as I like Eddie and his intros I have to agree with your point here. I often think the message board will eventually become a thing of the past.

Just like IMDB did away with theirs feeling that there were other places for people to comment on movies and actors.

I would NOT bet against your "prediction" here, yancey ol' boy.

Nope, in fact and because various venues of electronic communication have risen and fallen in popularity these past few decades, and with "message boards" of this kind already being sensed my many as something from the "Mesozoic era of the internet", I might even place a sizable bet on you being proven correct within, say, another decade or less.

(...of course by then I'll probably have run out of these questionable little "bon mots" of mine, and so won't give a damn anyway) ;)

35 minutes ago, Dargo said:

(...of course by then I'll probably have run out of these questionable little "bon mots" of mine, and so won't give a damn anyway) ;)

I enjoy a good bon mot just as much as the next guy!

I guess you can call it the circle of life!

If the forum here should suddenly and catastrophically dissolve overnight we should all agree to gravitate to Yahoo Groups or somewhere like that for the first sign of one of us starting a new group "formally of TCM". Even if the TCM Channel didn't exist any more we could always argue about politics or something (or revel to the bon mots of our jesters).

16 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

The old IMDB forum was based around a much more primitive system that created a new text file for each message.  Each time a thread was opened, it was dynamically assembled by the program by searching for and opening multiple text files.  Then there was also an index file, which had an entry for each new thread.  The server had to "reconstruct" each thread by scanning the index file(s), then the rest of the file system just to read all the relevant files for each thread opened.  After a while, there were gigantic amounts of text files and large index files, all of which slowed down the server.  I can only imagine how slow this became for IMDB.

This was very similar to "WWWBoard" found here in Matt's Scripts, if not the initially the same thing, which was used for many early forums.
http://www.scriptarchive.com/

A database, on the other hand, usually has just a single large main file with everything, or most of what it needs.  Much quicker to run, and more possible for entry-level IT technician types to maintain or upgrade along a standardized workflow.

That is some of the nuts and bolts of it, but forget all that.  My take on it was IMDB didn't have the stomach to start moderating their comments, so they just scrapped it.

The public expectations may be such that the next logical step would be to discontinue message boards like this, in favor of external "services" - such as Twitter or Facebook.  Not at all a lateral move though.  Not even close.  A complete nosedive.  You lose the entire user base, customizations, and forum structure, and of course all the user-generated content for instance.  None of these other sites are actually as useful as forums or come close.

In fact, in this case, this forum is already hosted on an external service - Invision Community.  It is a paid service, so the client can customize it significantly.
https://invisioncommunity.com/

It uses a database:
https://invisioncommunity.com/developers/docs/fundamentals/accessing-the-database-r166/

They even have built-in moderation tools, to deal with those posters who just can't help themselves and should really get out more:
https://invisioncommunity.com/features/moderation/

Anything like Facebook or Twitter would offer much less, other than for the most simple advertising and Google Analytics types of tasks.  Some corporations are "okay" with just this, as it relates to monitoring public response to high volume ad campaigns, so it is really up to them on what direction they would want to go.  For companies selling breakfast cereal or clothing, that would be fine.  Not so much for a product so nuanced as TCM.

Also, due to Social Media's recent ugly track record of ethics violations, I doubt some of those companies will be relevant with the public-at-large a whole lot longer.  Think MySpace.  So corporations that lean on them will eventually need to retool the way they observe public feedback over the long term anyhow.

• Thanks 3

6 hours ago, laffite said:

Even if the TCM Channel didn't exist any more we could always argue about politics or something (or revel to the bon mots of our jesters).

"Primetimer" forums would be a good place to land.

They even use this message board format.

Start a TCM thread and voila..

They have some strict rules..however

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

;)

LOL

Aw, shucks.  Does this mean I can't trash Dave Karger aka "Mr. No Personality??" 

9 hours ago, laffite said:

I think this is correct. Also, it explains why the threads about Tiffany Vasquez are usually pulled.

I'm still tickled by the visual of Ben hopping up and down frantically on one leg tho.

Bet he really regrets having all that coffee and watermelon and asparagus now.

22 minutes ago, TopBilled said:
9 hours ago, laffite said:

I think this is correct. Also, it explains why the threads about Tiffany Vasquez are usually pulled.

Hmm. I wrote that they were NOT pulled, but I don't guess I actually know that. I haven't looked to see if any of those threads still exist. They certainly used to hang around a lot longer than the thread Dargo is referencing did, anyway.

1 hour ago, Arteesto said:

They have some strict rules..however

Even worse than Otto?

1 minute ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hmm. I wrote that they were NOT pulled, but I don't guess I actually know that. I haven't looked to see if any of those threads still exist. They certainly used to hang around a lot longer than the thread Dargo is referencing did, anyway.

I think they were all pulled.

• Thanks 1

I'll say one area where Ben (who I like) can't compete - that Alicia Malone is one gracious, fine looking lady.

5725452ab703d__groucho-marx-22.jpg

"Sorry, girls, sorry, it's Alicia Malone who tickles my fancy. But if any of you girls care to tickle something else of mine I might be persuaded to hang around here a while."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I kept wanting to correct everybody, because I was sure it was AlEcia Malone, but I did a Google search, and you folks are spelling it correctly. I'm trying to scan my memory banks if I know someone else who spells it that way and am just getting confused.

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

They were definitely pulled almost immediately.  I used to speculate that T.V. (don't get me started) was related to one of the higher ups at TCM because you could trash Ben at will back then and nobody pulled those threads.

• Haha 1