spence

Your vites for the all-time greatrest performances by an actor and Actress?

58 posts in this topic

  I may have posed this question yrs ago, not certain, just in case ^ of course tastes change & of course again new motion pictures come out, so here goes again & to all my fellow TCMITES I post quite a number of items I truly thought would be interesting for you folks & much of the time nada even a response, let along your pix of some?

1st of I first got this one from one of my oldest movie books simply titled FILM FACTS out of NYC & all test-(out of print unfortunately now THOUGH A TIP FOR OLD BOOKS, FOR ME MOST WANTED ARE THE CITADEL FILMS OF SERIES  I already own about 6 to 7 but must get & the advertised it in the back of one  FILMS OF: NATALIE WOOD & MY VERY FIRST HERO & IDOL AGES 9 to 15 THE KING OF MOVIE COOL: STEVE McQUEEN  & ANOTHER ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE HOPEFULLY SOME DAY ALSO ADVERTISED: FILMS OF JOHN FORD.   TRY & THEY ARE STILL THERE I THINK IN PA  HARVEST BOOKS  don't right now to give you there # it's own the website & not FB though, matter of fact I've actually called them a couple times)

 

I'll star the ball rolling my top 5 candidates for the all-time greatest performances of the silver-screen are>-(*always denotes an ACADEMY AWAERD (AMPAS) winner)

ACTORS: It's just me I had my own rule like the OSCARS & only 1 nominee in each category, feel free to subject as many as you like though)>

1st place 0rson Welles in Citizen Kane (l94l-RKO radio)-(I know it's old, but everything in it is a revelation & still is  For the record Orson lost to *Gary Cooper in Sergeant York)

2nd Spencer Tracy in Inherit the Wind (l960-UA)=(NOTE: VERY TIGHT VOTEBETWEEN HIM HERE VS HIS EPIC WORK ALL BY HIMSELF IN 19589 WB's THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA)

3rd Charles Chaplin in City Lights (l931) (UA)=(Barely over him in the equally perfecto 1936 Modern Times)

4 th *Robert De Niro in  Raging Bull (l980)-(VERY CLOSE BETWEEN CHARLIE ABOVE & HIM THOUGH?)

& 5th nominee  Laurence 0livier in Richard III (l956)-(next time compare this to his role in his only acting statute 1948's Hamlet, which in My Alt OSCARS files, I voted for him in Hamlet-(disgustingly though defeated one of the all-time greats in The treasure of the Sierra Madre for BP Gold?)?)

(TRIVIA: & fact, for those like myself that saved their old & SUPER PREMIERE mags the once conducted a survey on the single greatest performance-(by anyone) in history & the winner was:

Peter 0'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia (l962-columbia)-(but los tto Peck (Atticus Finch) in To Kill a Mockingbird)

 

AND; THE LADIES:

1st lace for & close between her & runner-up: *Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice  (l982)-(EASY PREDICTION: She'll never hit this high note again)

& runner-up  *Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire (l95l WB's)=(all not are positive this role unhinged poor Vivien's mind trouble's. Jessica Tandy plated in on stage vs Brando)

3rd Greta Garbo in  Camille (l937 M-G-M-(many historians cite this 1 as all-timer by an actress. Not her finest feature like Queen Christina, *Grand Hotel or Ninotchka though)

4th  Maria Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc (l928 French) -(don't know what the deal with w/her * the film-(silent) was with the ACADEMY that year??? Who saw this? Because as I ve written a myriad of times in depth L.B. Mayer invented them to go against labor unions & pretty much controlled winners until the mid to late '30's, 36 always rumored it's most fixed yr between Mayer & Jack L. Warner & over the grave of Thalberg) In my books a few with question always say Falconetti still delivered all-time work as an actress

Ans 5th choice for me  *Katharine Hepburn in The Lion in Winter-(Now I like *Streisand & in Funny Girl, but they outrageously tied for the ACADEMY AWARD that year,  WHAT?) All insist due to *TRACY leaving in June of '67 *KATE & without 2nd thought, drove herself into this magnificent production (TRIVIA: To date only other tie in acting is 1931-32 *Fredric March in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde & *Wallace Beery in The Champ  but, under AMPAS rules of the day it was still a tie, despite *March being 1 vote ahead of *Wally)

 

THANK YOU & AS ALWAYS WANT YOUR INPUT

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never vited for anything in my life, and I don't plan to start now.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I've never vited for anything in my life, and I don't plan to start now.

WELL SLAYTON, HOW COME I WONDERR, I IKE TO VOTEMYSELF, TO EACH HIS OW  BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO VOTE, JUST SELECT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spence said:

  I may have posed this question yrs ago, not certain, just in case ^ of course tastes change & of course again new motion pictures come out, so here goes again & to all my fellow TCMITES I post quite a number of items I truly thought would be interesting for you folks & much of the time nada even a response, let along your pix of some?

1st of I first got this one from one of my oldest movie books simply titled FILM FACTS out of NYC & all test-(out of print unfortunately now THOUGH A TIP FOR OLD BOOKS, FOR ME MOST WANTED ARE THE CITADEL FILMS OF SERIES  I already own about 6 to 7 but must get & the advertised it in the back of one  FILMS OF: NATALIE WOOD & MY VERY FIRST HERO & IDOL AGES 9 to 15 THE KING OF MOVIE COOL: STEVE McQUEEN  & ANOTHER ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE HOPEFULLY SOME DAY ALSO ADVERTISED: FILMS OF JOHN FORD.   TRY & THEY ARE STILL THERE I THINK IN PA  HARVEST BOOKS  don't right now to give you there # it's own the website & not FB though, matter of fact I've actually called them a couple times)

 

I'll star the ball rolling my top 5 candidates for the all-time greatest performances of the silver-screen are>-(*always denotes an ACADEMY AWAERD (AMPAS) winner)

ACTORS: It's just me I had my own rule like the OSCARS & only 1 nominee in each category, feel free to subject as many as you like though)>

1st place 0rson Welles in Citizen Kane (l94l-RKO radio)-(I know it's old, but everything in it is a revelation & still is  For the record Orson lost to *Gary Cooper in Sergeant York)

2nd Spencer Tracy in Inherit the Wind (l960-UA)=(NOTE: VERY TIGHT VOTEBETWEEN HIM HERE VS HIS EPIC WORK ALL BY HIMSELF IN 19589 WB's THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA)

3rd Charles Chaplin in City Lights (l931) (UA)=(Barely over him in the equally perfecto 1936 Modern Times)

4 th *Robert De Niro in  Raging Bull (l980)-(VERY CLOSE BETWEEN CHARLIE ABOVE & HIM THOUGH?)

& 5th nominee  Laurence 0livier in Richard III (l956)-(next time compare this to his role in his only acting statute 1948's Hamlet, which in My Alt OSCARS files, I voted for him in Hamlet-(disgustingly though defeated one of the all-time greats in The treasure of the Sierra Madre for BP Gold?)?)

(TRIVIA: & fact, for those like myself that saved their old & SUPER PREMIERE mags the once conducted a survey on the single greatest performance-(by anyone) in history & the winner was:

Peter 0'Toole in Lawrence of Arabia (l962-columbia)-(but los tto Peck (Atticus Finch) in To Kill a Mockingbird)

 

AND; THE LADIES:

1st lace for & close between her & runner-up: *Meryl Streep in Sophie's Choice  (l982)-(EASY PREDICTION: She'll never hit this high note again)

& runner-up  *Vivien Leigh in A Streetcar Named Desire (l95l WB's)=(all not are positive this role unhinged poor Vivien's mind trouble's. Jessica Tandy plated in on stage vs Brando)

3rd Greta Garbo in  Camille (l937 M-G-M-(many historians cite this 1 as all-timer by an actress. Not her finest feature like Queen Christina, *Grand Hotel or Ninotchka though)

4th  Maria Falconetti in The Passion of Joan of Arc (l928 French) -(don't know what the deal with w/her * the film-(silent) was with the ACADEMY that year??? Who saw this? Because as I ve written a myriad of times in depth L.B. Mayer invented them to go against labor unions & pretty much controlled winners until the mid to late '30's, 36 always rumored it's most fixed yr between Mayer & Jack L. Warner & over the grave of Thalberg) In my books a few with question always say Falconetti still delivered all-time work as an actress

Ans 5th choice for me  *Katharine Hepburn in The Lion in Winter-(Now I like *Streisand & in Funny Girl, but they outrageously tied for the ACADEMY AWARD that year,  WHAT?) All insist due to *TRACY leaving in June of '67 *KATE & without 2nd thought, drove herself into this magnificent production (TRIVIA: To date only other tie in acting is 1931-32 *Fredric March in Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde & *Wallace Beery in The Champ  but, under AMPAS rules of the day it was still a tie, despite *March being 1 vote ahead of *Wally)

 

THANK YOU & AS ALWAYS WANT YOUR INPUT

 

 

 

 

If quite a few respond, I'll take another page of FILM FACTS BOOK from 1979 & do DUIRECTIORS  that is if people care?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

I've never vited for anything in my life, and I don't plan to start now.

But how can you give up this opportunity to vite for the greatrest?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, spence said:

4 th *Robert De Niro in  Raging Bull (l980)-(VERY CLOSE BETWEEN CHARLIE ABOVE & HIM THOUGH?)

& 5th nominee  Laurence 0livier in Richard III (l956)

I will never know who I think is the greatest, just can't do it. Why, because I'll never know. One of my fave De Niro though is KING OF COMEDY and I'm glad you mentioned Olivier in that superb movie. But coming up with top fives will always be impossible for me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vites, off the top of my head...

Actor:
Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver (1976)

Actress:
Bette Davis in Now, Voyager (1942)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, laffite said:

But how can you give up this opportunity to vite for the greatrest?

Good goin' lefitte!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viting is offensive.  It is most repubnant to me even to mention it, let alone practice it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spritz Nipper said:

My vites, off the top of my head...

Actor:
Robert De Niro in Taxi Driver (1976)

Actress:
Bette Davis in Now, Voyager (1942)

thanx for your input, have you seen James Woods tcm tribute to Davis in Now, Voyager yet?  You'll like it for sure  People always think of some ones idol as being of the same sex, apparently not al so, obviously Woods picks her & went so far as saying it was the greatest per in history by anyone as well (TRIVIA: Far as idols go Ellen Barkin & Carol Kane both always thought BRANDO was their idol)

 

& what can be said about De Niro's Travis Bickle in Scorsese's brilliant & more timely as yrs go by 1976 Taxi Driver  as most true cinephiles know he lost Best Actor Oscar to Finch in Network-(posthumous) as utterly brilliant, magnificent as Peter was, just look up total screen time total of approx. 22 minutes  Holden was the real anchor SEE Finch campaign for a leading actor nod & got, same goes for Anthony Hopkins in '91's Silence of the Lambs & obviously won for what AFI later voted as the No.1 all-time movie villain in another of it's 100yrs specials  100 Years 100 Heroes and Villians & just for fun Peck's Atticus Finch in To Kill a Mockingbird American Film Institute voted as all-time movie HERO.

Essentially, my personal Best actor winner in my Alternate oscars was the unnommed legendary John Wayne in The Shootist-(of course his swan song)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slaytonf said:

But you asked to vite, not select.  

Your correct &it's a fine/line very often   Just look at the Oscars, they consider it doing both

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, laffite said:

I will never know who I think is the greatest, just can't do it. Why, because I'll never know. One of my fave De Niro though is KING OF COMEDY and I'm glad you mentioned Olivier in that superb movie. But coming up with top fives will always be impossible for me.

I understand laffete, & I agree about RUPERT PUPKIN in THE KING OF COMEDY brilliant comedy on every single level, Jerry Lewis underplaying, Sandra Bernhard won a major critics award s. actress in my humble opinion was snubbed of an actual Oscar shot? (QUESTION: Anyone out there agree that THE GREAT ONE: JACKIE GLEASON would also be marvelous as Jerry Langford Jerry Lewis role & remember)      YOUR PRIDE & JOY

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actor:

Chuck Heston in The Ten Commandments

Actress:

Katharine Hepburn in The Lion in Winter

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, spence said:

nyone out there agree that THE GREAT ONE: JACKIE GLEASON would also be marvelous as Jerry Langford Jerry Lewis role & remember)

Always liked Jackie Gleason as a TV funny man, a man unexcelled in moving to traveling music, the Honeymooner par excellence, and truly the Great One in many respects ... but as a dramatic actor he was wanting. I am embarrassed to think of him as Jerry Langford. It would have never worked.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two faves, chez moi

,,,,,,

Ruth Chatterton in Dodsorth.

Conrad Veidt in A Woman's Face

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always thought the best female performance captured on film was by Kim Stanley in SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964). I still feel that way. It's powerful and she towers over every other actress.

I also like Luise Rainer's performance as O-lan in THE GOOD EARTH (1937) very much. 

And Judy Holliday's superb comedic performance in IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU (1954) is worth mentioning.

So is Carole Lombard's scientific spoof of Garbo in THE PRINCESS COMES ACROSS (1937).

***

As for male actors, I guess I would go with Daniel Day-Lewis' work in MY LEFT FOOT (1989). What an extraordinary, moving performance he gave.

I also like Charlie Chaplin's performance in LIMELIGHT (1952). It's the right combination of pathos and humor.

As for pure comedy, I admire the job Guy Kibbee does in IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD (1939). I think people overlook what a skilled entertainer he was.

And I enjoy Chevy Chase's shtick in SPIES LIKE US (1985). There's no reason why comic performances can't be heralded as much as dramatic performances. Often comedic roles require much more work and precision on the part of the actor.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, laffite said:

Always liked Jackie Gleason as a TV funny man, a man unexcelled in moving to traveling music, the Honeymooner par excellence, and truly the Great One in many respects ... but as a dramatic actor he was wanting. I am embarrassed to think of him as Jerry Langford. It would have never worked.

thanx anyway, I ALWAYS THOUGHT 2ND TO JERRY THOUGH  SEE HIS ULTIMATE CREATION OF (RALPH KRAMDEN)-(YET ANOTHER IN OUR PATHETIC PC ERROR GIVEN THE SHAFT, NEVER AIRED ANYWHERE & ABOUT 98% IS DUE TO MILLENNIALS, DUE TO RALPH THREATING TO SEND ALICE TO THE MOON, BUT AS JACKIE ALWAYS DEFENDED & BACK IN THE 1980'S-(HE LEFT IN 87 AGE 71) EVEN ON 60 MINUTES LONG & SUPERB INTERVIEW HE GAVE I THINK WITH A TRUE NEWSMAN-(ALSO NOT AROUND NOW) (FOR FANS OF BOTH THE CLASSIC 39 1955-56   & THE LOST EPISODES OF THE HONEYMOONERS (1952-57) ALL AVAILABLE ION LINE & YOUTUBE HAS BETTER SOUND& QUALITU, THERES A SWONDERFUL ONLY COUPLE YRS AGO CLIP OF RALPH ACTUALLY THROWING TRUMP OUT OF HIS HOUSE  GO CHECK IT OUT, ONLY ABOUT 5 MINUTES) H0W RALPH W0ULD ALWAYS APOLOGIZE TO HER W/TENDERNESS & LOVE,ETC  ( FOR FELLOW HONEYMMONERS FANS AS I'VE BE BEEN SINCE ABOUT 1985, JOINED ANOTHER SHORT-LIVED FAN CLUB & WAS EVEN SENT AN OFFICIAL RACOON CAP WHICH I STILL HAVE OF COURSE & LOTS MORE MEMORABELIA. (ANOTHER TIP  JOHN (HERBERT) GLEASON he was black IRISH> like *GEORGE CLOONEY, DANIEL DAY LEWIS-(WORLD GREATEST LIVING ACTOR & NOW HE HAS THE RICHLY DESERVES ALL (30 BEST ACT0R OSCARS TO PROVE-IT, DEBIT, HE WAS ROBBED BIG-TIME IN SCORSESE'S EPIC 2002'S GANGS OF NEW YORK THE EPIC BASED MOSTLY ON FACT, D-DAY PORTRAYED & ARGUABLY HIS BEST WORK YET BILL "THE BUTCHER" CUTTING, BUT HOLLYWOOD FELT AS ASININE DESIRE TO VOTE FOR ADREIN BRODY IN POLANSKI'S GREAT FILM THE PIANIST INSTEAD THAT YR???!), VS LIKES OF TRACY, CAGNEY =(MOST CAN'T SEE IT BECAUSE OF THE MARVELOUS B & w IN THEIR EARLY PICTURES, BOTH ONCE HAD BRIGHT RED HAUR!)

Y SEE IT DUE TO b & w WHICH I PREFER OVER COLOR LIKE WOODY ALLEN, SCORSESE, OTHERS & OF COURSE> EBERT & SISKEL\ REMEMBER THAT NONSENSE LEAD BY TED TURNER-(1938-() LATE '80'S)(warning: Ted Turner our creator of tcm & myriad of others according to JANE FONDA (L937-) ARE FINALLY CERTAUIN tED IS SUFFERING FROM EITHER ALZHEIMERS OR DEMENTIA. DEMENTIA IS WIRSE, BECAYUSE ALZHEIMERS IS JUST AN OFFSHOOT OF THAT UTTERLY DAMAGING DUISEASE & ON THE NOTE ALL NOW SATY OSCAR WINNER & AWAYS NEWMAN'S LADY JOANNE WOODWARD-(L930-) IS AWFUL W/THE SAME DISEASE.NOW THEY WANT TO TEAR DOWN (FIONAL CAP ON> JACKIE AKA RALPH KRAMDEN MILLIENISALS MAY BE RUNNING OUT OF FINDING HISTORICAL THUNGS TO TEAR DOWN, BECAUSE EVEN TV'S BILL MAHER RECNTLY GAVE JUDOS TO TEAR DOWN HIS LIFESUZE STATUE IN FRT  OF NYC BUS TERMINAL??? THERE IS AN IDENTICAL ONE TJIS **** TRULY **** ME OFF & TOM 0'NRIL CREATURE OF THE ULTIMATRE OSCAR SITE GOLDDERBY.COM DID A FULL PG ARTICLE ABOUT THE EMMYS -)THE OSCARS OF TV, GRAMMYS OF MUSIC & SO ON) WHEN THEY FIRST ERECTED RALPH IN FRT OF IT'S HEADQUARTERS, REASON FOR THE MADNESS, THEY NEVER EVEN GAVE JACKIE AN HONRARY EMMY AWARD, LET ALONE WINNING AS RALPH-(ALSO FIRST PLAYED LIFE OF RILER BEFORE BENDIX) what a bunch of hypocrits  N0W FUTURE SCAR WINNING ART CARNEY-(L9L8-2003) WIN 3 IN A RIOW AS NORTON & AYDREY MEADOWS EVEN WON ONCE AS ALICE, NO JACKIE/ & A HILARIOUS CLIP ALL SHOULD GO PUNCH IN ON YIOUTUBE ORFB THE STAGGERING AWFUL 1967 FILM> SKIDOO (*-bomb-RATING) BUT 1 SCENE IS HILARIOUSLY OVER THE TOP, GLEASON IN JAIL TRUPPI' ON ACID/LSD ^ DIG THIS THER BIG STARS ARE N THIS MESS INCLUDING GROUCHO!

oops MORE TO LSFFETTE, EVER SEE GLEASONS

 TERRIFIC 1962 FEATURE GIGOT (***1/2 AT BEST)? wELP HE BASED THAT ROLE ON HIS FAMED  POOR SOUL IRONICALLY DIRECTED BY GENE KELLY TO

 

THANK YOU AGAION 7 IF THIS IS TO MUCH FOR ONE READ, TAKE YOUR TIME

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I've always thought the best female performance captured on film was by Kim Stanley in SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964). I still feel that way. It's powerful and she towers over every other actress.

I also like Luise Rainer's performance as O-lin in THE GOOD EARTH (1937) very much. 

And Judy Holliday's superb comedic performance in IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU (1954) is worth mentioning.

So is Carole Lombard's scientific spoof of Garbo in THE PRINCES COMES ACROSS (1937).

***

As for male actors, I guess I would go with Daniel Day-Lewis' work in MY LEFT FOOT (1989). What an extraordinary, moving performance he gave.

I also like Charlie Chaplin's performance in LIMELIGHT (1952). It's the right combination of pathos and humor.

As for pure comedy, I admire the job Guy Kibbee does in IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD (1939). I think people overlook what a skilled entertainer he was.

And I enjoy Chevy Chase's shtick in SPIES LIKE US (1985). There's no reason why comic performances can't be heralded as much as dramatic performances. Often comedic roles require much more work and precision on the part of the actor.

ALL RIGHT BUDDY, KNEW YOU'D SUBMIT SOME   ok, IF I GIVE ME COMMENTS ON THEM AT A LATER DATE?

 

LIMELIGHT (1952) (***1/2) IS AMONG YOURS THAT STANDS OUT MOST TO ME, WE SPLIT ON CHARLIE'S THOUGH 4 STAR WORK HERE VS. OTHERS HE GAVE, BUT IT HAS SUCH & DISPICABLE HISTORY AS YOU KNOW  COURTESY OF THE US GOVT & THE HUAC  YOU IN THE FORUMS KNOW THE ENTIRE STORY YOP, BUT JUST FOR OTHERS IN CASE THEY DON;T YET  ABOUT THEN THE ACADEMY (AMPAS) TREATEST HIM -(LIKE A COMMIE, WHICH CHARLIE PRETTY MUCH WAS, BUT IN THE '50'S IT WAS VERBOETEN. IN SHORT FOR OTHERS HE COMPOSED THE SCORE FOR> LIMELIGHT INCLUDING A SONG HE CREATED & IT WAS  I'LL REMEMBER YOU ETERNALLY GOT YJOD IDY DRR [BEST SCENE:   SCENE WITH BOTH CHARLIE & BUSTER KEATON IN THE DRESSING RM & THEN IT KICKS IT UP A NOTCH W/THESE 2 GIANTS ON STAGE TOGETHER DOING THEIR THING!) ANYWAY. HIS SCIRE WAS 0FFICIALLY UP FOR AN OSCAR, BUT THE ACADEMY PULLED IT FROM COMPETITION-(HIGH NOON WON THAT RACE INSTEAD & I MUST AGREE EASILY AMONG THE TEN BEST IN HOLLYWOOD HISTOTY) SO WHEN HOLLYWOOD WELCOMED THE LITTLE TAMP HOME AROUND 1971 HIS 20YR OLD SCORE FINALLY WON  NICE HUH, HE WAS 83 BY THEN! SP OFFICIALLY IS ONLY COMPETITIVE OSCAR VICTORIES WERE FOR IT? & WAS WWA4EDE (NON-COMPETITIVE - SPECIAL STATUETTES) FOR 1927-28'S VERY GOOD ( 3 & 1/2) THE CIRCUS-(IN MY ALTERNATE OSCARS I agree WITH IT'S AUTHOR  DANNY PEARY SOMETIMES FROM IT & Charlie-(THEN STILL THE LITTLE TRAMP UNTIL MODERN TIMES ENDED & THAT WAS THE END OF THAT LEGENDARY CATEGORY IN '36m. REALITY IS HE DESERVED THAT VERY FRST BEST ACTOR ACADEMY AWARD AGAIN, L.B. MAYER RULED, ESPECIALLY VERY FIRST ONES  JOERBRT & AGAIN IT TOOK HIS PEERS UNTILHE WAS 83 TO BE AWARDED LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT OSCAR IN 1972 CEREMONIES

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

I've always thought the best female performance captured on film was by Kim Stanley in SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON (1964). I still feel that way. It's powerful and she towers over every other actress.

I also like Luise Rainer's performance as O-lin in THE GOOD EARTH (1937) very much. 

And Judy Holliday's superb comedic performance in IT SHOULD HAPPEN TO YOU (1954) is worth mentioning.

So is Carole Lombard's scientific spoof of Garbo in THE PRINCES COMES ACROSS (1937).

***

As for male actors, I guess I would go with Daniel Day-Lewis' work in MY LEFT FOOT (1989). What an extraordinary, moving performance he gave.

I also like Charlie Chaplin's performance in LIMELIGHT (1952). It's the right combination of pathos and humor.

As for pure comedy, I admire the job Guy Kibbee does in IT'S A WONDERFUL WORLD (1939). I think people overlook what a skilled entertainer he was.

And I enjoy Chevy Chase's shtick in SPIES LIKE US (1985). There's no reason why comic performances can't be heralded as much as dramatic performances. Often comedic roles require much more work and precision on the part of the actor.

WOW BUDDY, YOU SCOOPED ME ON judy HOLLIDAY IN THAT SPOOF OF GARBO FLICK  I NEVER EVEN HEARD OF T TOO?  SOORY TO THOSE WHO THINK I;M YELLING WITH CAPITALS, VERY TRED & IN AGONY

 

AS I SAID HOPE YOU POST SOME MORE!? & WILL IN AWHILE, NOT TONIGHT GET BACK TO YOURS & AS USUAL I PRACTICALLY BEG FOLKS TO GO OVER & COMMENT ON MY CHOICES, MOST DON'T SEEM TO, BUT RESPECT YOUROPINION VERY HIGHLY & PLEASE DO SO WHEN YOU CAN  (P.S. NOT EXACTLT, BUT APPEROX HOW MANY MOVIE BOOKS DO YOU THINK YOU'VE ACQUIRED BY NOW I OWN APPROX 135-160 TD &DO YOU ALSO COLLECT MEMORABELIA & HAVE WALLS-OF-FAME, YOU KNOW PIX,PSTERS,ETC   A PAL O;MINE FIR 37YRSFIXES MY COMUTER MOSTLT NC TOO & EVEN BROUGHT ME BRAND NEW SPEAKERS, BRAND NEW STATE OF THEART COMPUTER &ALL AGAIN NO CHARGE  WELL & REALLY WANTEDYOUR OPINION ON THIS NONSE HE SAID A COUPLE TIMES(HENRY IS HIS NAME) & SADLY NOW HAS PRIOSTATE CABCER!!! BUT WITH MY LIBRARY OF MOVIE BOOKS, HE SAID TO MY MUM WHY DOESN'T HE JUST THROW THEM OUT AFTER READING? SHE TRIEDE REMINDED HIM THEY AREN'T MAGS & NEWS-PAPERS, A COLLECTION??? MATTER OF FACT MOST MOST VALIED POSESIONS ARE 1ST MY FILES ON CINEMA, 2ND BOOKS, 3RD TAPES,DVD'S-(JUST AS I GOT Madonna's 3RD GREATEST CINCERT FROM 93 IN Australia GIRLIE SHOW MY DVD PLAYER BROKE W/HER TAPE STUCK INSIDE! STRANGELY-(IT'S A COMBO0 VERY RARE THESE DAYS, BOUGHT IT IN THE MID 1990'S I THINK THE VHS SIDE STILL WORKS  GO FIGURE RIGHT  DID YOU KNOW AMAZON HAS NEW DVD PLAYERS FOR ONLY $3O?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a whole favorite performances year by year in the Favorites section here: 

All time favorites by various contributors can be found on pages 218 and 219 of the thread.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, spence said:

thanx anyway, I ALWAYS THOUGHT 2ND TO JERRY THOUGH  SEE HIS ULTIMATE CREATION OF (RALPH KRAMDEN)-(YET ANOTHER IN OUR PATHETIC PC ERROR GIVEN THE SHAFT, NEVER AIRED ANYWHERE & ABOUT 98% IS DUE TO MILLENNIALS, DUE TO RALPH THREATING TO SEND ALICE TO THE MOON, BUT AS JACKIE ALWAYS DEFENDED & BACK IN THE 1980'S-(HE LEFT IN 87 AGE 71) EVEN ON 60 MINUTES LONG & SUPERB INTERVIEW HE GAVE I THINK WITH A TRUE NEWSMAN-(ALSO NOT AROUND NOW) (FOR FANS OF BOTH THE CLASSIC 39 1955-56   & THE LOST EPISODES OF THE HONEYMOONERS (1952-57) ALL AVAILABLE ION LINE & YOUTUBE HAS BETTER SOUND& QUALITU, THERES A SWONDERFUL ONLY COUPLE YRS AGO CLIP OF RALPH ACTUALLY THROWING TRUMP OUT OF HIS HOUSE  GO CHECK IT OUT, ONLY ABOUT 5 MINUTES) H0W RALPH W0ULD ALWAYS APOLOGIZE TO HER W/TENDERNESS & LOVE,ETC  ( FOR FELLOW HONEYMMONERS FANS AS I'VE BE BEEN SINCE ABOUT 1985, JOINED ANOTHER SHORT-LIVED FAN CLUB & WAS EVEN SENT AN OFFICIAL RACOON CAP WHICH I STILL HAVE OF COURSE & LOTS MORE MEMORABELIA. (ANOTHER TIP  JOHN (HERBERT) GLEASON he was black IRISH> like *GEORGE CLOONEY, DANIEL DAY LEWIS-(WORLD GREATEST LIVING ACTOR & NOW HE HAS THE RICHLY DESERVES ALL (30 BEST ACT0R OSCARS TO PROVE-IT, DEBIT, HE WAS ROBBED BIG-TIME IN SCORSESE'S EPIC 2002'S GANGS OF NEW YORK THE EPIC BASED MOSTLY ON FACT, D-DAY PORTRAYED & ARGUABLY HIS BEST WORK YET BILL "THE BUTCHER" CUTTING, BUT HOLLYWOOD FELT AS ASININE DESIRE TO VOTE FOR ADREIN BRODY IN POLANSKI'S GREAT FILM THE PIANIST INSTEAD THAT YR???!), VS LIKES OF TRACY, CAGNEY =(MOST CAN'T SEE IT BECAUSE OF THE MARVELOUS B & w IN THEIR EARLY PICTURES, BOTH ONCE HAD BRIGHT RED HAUR!)

Y SEE IT DUE TO b & w WHICH I PREFER OVER COLOR LIKE WOODY ALLEN, SCORSESE, OTHERS & OF COURSE> EBERT & SISKEL\ REMEMBER THAT NONSENSE LEAD BY TED TURNER-(1938-() LATE '80'S)(warning: Ted Turner our creator of tcm & myriad of others according to JANE FONDA (L937-) ARE FINALLY CERTAUIN tED IS SUFFERING FROM EITHER ALZHEIMERS OR DEMENTIA. DEMENTIA IS WIRSE, BECAYUSE ALZHEIMERS IS JUST AN OFFSHOOT OF THAT UTTERLY DAMAGING DUISEASE & ON THE NOTE ALL NOW SATY OSCAR WINNER & AWAYS NEWMAN'S LADY JOANNE WOODWARD-(L930-) IS AWFUL W/THE SAME DISEASE.NOW THEY WANT TO TEAR DOWN (FIONAL CAP ON> JACKIE AKA RALPH KRAMDEN MILLIENISALS MAY BE RUNNING OUT OF FINDING HISTORICAL THUNGS TO TEAR DOWN, BECAUSE EVEN TV'S BILL MAHER RECNTLY GAVE JUDOS TO TEAR DOWN HIS LIFESUZE STATUE IN FRT  OF NYC BUS TERMINAL??? THERE IS AN IDENTICAL ONE TJIS **** TRULY **** ME OFF & TOM 0'NRIL CREATURE OF THE ULTIMATRE OSCAR SITE GOLDDERBY.COM DID A FULL PG ARTICLE ABOUT THE EMMYS -)THE OSCARS OF TV, GRAMMYS OF MUSIC & SO ON) WHEN THEY FIRST ERECTED RALPH IN FRT OF IT'S HEADQUARTERS, REASON FOR THE MADNESS, THEY NEVER EVEN GAVE JACKIE AN HONRARY EMMY AWARD, LET ALONE WINNING AS RALPH-(ALSO FIRST PLAYED LIFE OF RILER BEFORE BENDIX) what a bunch of hypocrits  N0W FUTURE SCAR WINNING ART CARNEY-(L9L8-2003) WIN 3 IN A RIOW AS NORTON & AYDREY MEADOWS EVEN WON ONCE AS ALICE, NO JACKIE/ & A HILARIOUS CLIP ALL SHOULD GO PUNCH IN ON YIOUTUBE ORFB THE STAGGERING AWFUL 1967 FILM> SKIDOO (*-bomb-RATING) BUT 1 SCENE IS HILARIOUSLY OVER THE TOP, GLEASON IN JAIL TRUPPI' ON ACID/LSD ^ DIG THIS THER BIG STARS ARE N THIS MESS INCLUDING GROUCHO!

oops MORE TO LSFFETTE, EVER SEE GLEASONS

 TERRIFIC 1962 FEATURE GIGOT (***1/2 AT BEST)? wELP HE BASED THAT ROLE ON HIS FAMED  POOR SOUL IRONICALLY DIRECTED BY GENE KELLY TO

 

THANK YOU AGAION 7 IF THIS IS TO MUCH FOR ONE READ, TAKE YOUR TIME

No, I never saw Gigot and I regret trashing gleason as an actor since there is too much I haven't seen. So, the millenials wanted to trash the statue due to a few BAM-zooms and Bill Maher was okay with that? I remember vividly the awful You're In The Picture game show. He came back the next week, sat in a chair, and just started talking. The next week he invited Floyd Patterson and Ingemar Johannson to discuss their three fightss "Don't laugh, Ingemar, you're going to get yours." It was a 13-week run that wasn't renewed and I don't remember the weeks that followed but I watched every one. And laughed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My vite would be for Conrad Vote in Casablanca.

Ahem, sorry, I meant my VOTE for be for Conrad VEIDT in Casablanca.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

(...naaah, not really...just couldn't resist, that's all)

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

My vite would be for Conrad Vote in Casablanca.

Ahem, sorry, I meant my VOTE for be for Conrad VEIDT in Casablanca.

You do know that translated into English the phrase casa blanca means vite house...white house.

Conrad lives in the Veidt house.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ever received an invite to visit? You'll need a physical, where they take your vitals. You may be diagnosed with St. Vitus' Dance. If so, don't get angry or vituperative.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us