Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Roger Corman and those Edgar Allan Poe stories

20 posts in this topic

Anyone a fan of these? Some are better than others. There were eight of them.

1. HOUSE OF USHER (1960). Based on the short story The Fall of the House of Usher.
  2. THE PIT AND THE PENDULUM (1961). Based on the short story of the same name.
  3. THE PREMATURE BURIAL (1962). Based on the short story of the same name.
  4. TALES OF TERROR (1962). Based on Morella, The Black Cat, The Cask of Amontillado and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.
  5. THE RAVEN (1963). Based on the poem of the same name.
  6. THE HAUNTED PALACE (1963). Based on an H.P. Lovecraft novella but takes its title from a poem by Poe.
  7. THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964). Based on the short story of the same name, plus Poe's short story Hop-Frog.
  8. THE TOMB OF LIGEIA (1965). Based on the short story Ligeia.
  • Like 1

Yes, I like them, to varying degrees. My favorites are The Haunted Palace (I love Lovecraft stuff) and House of UsherThe Masque of the Red Death is the critical darling, but I wasn't as fond of it. I have all of them on disc, but haven't watched most of them in a long time.

• Like 1

Thanks Larry. 

For some reason I like THE TOMB OF LIGEIA the best...probably because it's the first one I ever watched.

Another one I liked was THE TERROR (1963). It is not officially part of this canon but seems to be related.

13 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks Larry. 

For some reason I like THE TOMB OF LIGEIA the best...probably because it's the first one I ever watched.

Another one I liked was THE TERROR (1963). It is not officially part of this canon but seems to be related.

Yeah, The Terror was shot very quickly on leftover sets from The Raven, and Corman used Karloff and Jack Nicholson who were still around after filming that prior movie. It's impressive for something shot on the fly.

• Like 1

My favorite is "Pit and the Pendulum" (1961) followed by "Masque of the Red Death" (1964) and "Tomb of Ligeia" (1965)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I'd forgotten John Kerr was in this one. The trailer gives away the plot!

• Like 1

Just now, TopBilled said:

I'd forgotten John Kerr was in this one. The trailer gives away the plot!

"And John Kerr in challenging role!" Love the trailer- "You harlot"

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jaragon said:

"And John Kerr in challenging role!" Love the trailer- "You harlot"

I have a feeling TEA AND SYMPATHY was probably more challenging.

But whatever it takes for Roger Corman to sell this movie!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I have a feeling TEA AND SYMPATHY was probably more challenging.

But whatever it takes for Roger Corman to sell this movie!

I'm sure Vincent Price could think of other things he would do to a tied up John Kerr😉

• Haha 1

I was rereading some of the Poe stories which are not only very different than the Corman films but are shockinlgy gruesome in some of the details

26 minutes ago, jaragon said:

I was rereading some of the Poe stories which are not only very different than the Corman films but are shockinlgy gruesome in some of the details

Which ones did you read?

• Like 1

I'm a big classic horror lit fan so I've read Poe before; but I had forgotten some of the details - like "The Black Cat" which ended up as the subplot in "Tomb of Ligeia".   The stories do stand up well not just all that florid writing but they are really well plotted- Poe was a genius.

• Like 1

I've seen all of them, but my favorites are "The Haunted Palace" and "The Masque of the Red Death" as I have both on DVD.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MaryGH said:

I've seen all of them, but my favorites are "The Haunted Palace" and "The Masque of the Red Death" as I have both on DVD.

What do you enjoy about them?

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 7:32 PM, TopBilled said:

What do you enjoy about them?

For "The Haunted Palace" it was the Lovecraft element plus the sets, for "The Masque of the Red Death", the sets, story, and the distinct use of candle color. Watched "The Tomb of Ligeia" last night on Youtube and noticed the candle colors were used in the same manner. 

While on the topic of Vincent Price movies, after Ligeia I watched "Diary of a Madman" which I saw a very long time ago - long before I actually read Guy de Maupassant. I have a book which is a collection of his stories called "The Dark Side", and of course "The Horla" is in it.

So its fair to say I enjoy both Poe and de Maupassant.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MaryGH said:

For "The Haunted Palace" it was the Lovecraft element plus the sets, for "The Masque of the Red Death", the sets, story, and the distinct use of candle color. Watched "The Tomb of Ligeia" last night on Youtube and noticed the candle colors were used in the same manner. 

While on the topic of Vincent Price movies, after Ligeia I watched "Diary of a Madman" which I saw a very long time ago - long before I actually read Guy de Maupassant. I have a book which is a collection of his stories called "The Dark Side", and of course "The Horla" is in it.

So its fair to say I enjoy both Poe and de Maupassant.

Interesting. Yes, I like Corman's use of candles...and as you suggest, the sets have a specific feel to them. The sets are often as memorable as the characters.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 1:00 PM, TopBilled said:

Interesting. Yes, I like Corman's use of candles...and as you suggest, the sets have a specific feel to them. The sets are often as memorable as the characters.

Corman really had to fight with cheap AIP for those atmospheric sets - which he he then used over and over again

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jaragon said:

Corman really had to fight with cheap AIP for those atmospheric sets - which he he then used over and over again

Yes, he had to justify the expense.