TheCid

Another Memorial Day and NO movies about Vietnam War

65 posts in this topic

Geez, no wonder! Sad. Yes I'd heard about the Woody Allen film, but couldn't remember which one. I hadn't heard about Tanks.

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Hibi said:

Geez, no wonder! Sad. Yes I'd heard about the Woody Allen film, but couldn't remember which one. I hadn't heard about Tanks.

A stupid life after a comet strike movie.

81vFq+QURxL._RI_SX300_.jpg

On second thought stupid is too kind of a word. :wacko:

tank-girl-1995-booga-rippers-lori-petty-

Edited by hamradio
Typo

6 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It seems she may have gotten a rep for being "difficult" after being replaced on Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives, and then quitting/being fired from Tank Girl (1994), which was a big production, even if it's largely forgotten now.

I also read this, which may explain things a bit:

Stated in 2009 interview that she had also been diagnosed with mild schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder, Tourette's syndrome and chronic insomnia.

be7ed1c5e9aa319d4067d242ab53f659b5276fc6

14 hours ago, TheCid said:

Also, I can't find old threads using the TCM Forum search features.

The search features are so much poorer than they used to be.

Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my favorite movies. I find it tremendously moving. The scene with Billy and the dog, with the Andrews Sisters on the soundtrack, leading to Billy and the dog witnessing the star that is moving toward them, as Glenn Gould plays the Largo from J.S. Bach's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 5 in F minor, gets me every time.

The war scenes, like the bombing of Dresden, are of World War II. However, Vonnegut's book (1969)  mentions Vietnam specifically in a few chapters. The film (1972), made at the height of the Vietnam War, did not (as I recall) specifically mention Vietnam, but it was very clear that the depiction of the horrors of war were intended to have a very contemporary significance.

Has TCM ever shown the film? I have the DVD, but I think it would be a great film for TCM to show on Memorial Day.

• Like 1

Beyond PLATOON, CASUALTIES OF WAR, THE GREEN BERETS, HAMBURGER HILL and APOCALYPSE NOW, which might have some of those "rights" issues attached to them, there aren't that many 'Nam offerings to attain, are there? 

Sepiatone

9 hours ago, Swithin said:

Slaughterhouse-Five is one of my favorite movies. I find it tremendously moving. The scene with Billy and the dog, with the Andrews Sisters on the soundtrack, leading to Billy and the dog witnessing the star that is moving toward them, as Glenn Gould plays the Largo from J.S. Bach's Concerto for Piano and Orchestra No. 5 in F minor, gets me every time.

The war scenes, like the bombing of Dresden, are of World War II. However, Vonnegut's book (1969)  mentions Vietnam specifically in a few chapters. The film (1972), made at the height of the Vietnam War, did not (as I recall) specifically mention Vietnam, but it was very clear that the depiction of the horrors of war were intended to have a very contemporary significance.

Has TCM ever shown the film? I have the DVD, but I think it would be a great film for TCM to show on Memorial Day.

Agree a great film I thought it was Bach's Arioso in A-flat for solo piano
(Adagio from Harpsichord Concerto No.5 in F minor)

Also you got to consider that Valerie Perrine's boobies would offened some of the "make America white and evangelical" classical movie crowd. 😎 

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Agree a great film I thought it was Bach's Arioso in A-flat for solo piano
(Adagio from Harpsichord Concerto No.5 in F minor

Also you got to consider that Valerie Perrine's boobies would offened some of the "make America white and evangelical" classical movie crowd. 😎 

Very similar. Here's the piece. Btw, who knows what the Tralfamadorians were wearing!

32 minutes ago, Swithin said:

Very similar. Here's the piece. Btw, who knows what the Tralfamadorians were wearing!

Think you pasted the wrong link Swithin

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Think you pasted the wrong link Swithin

Trying again. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Swithin said:

I loved it too. Unsure if TCM has shown it. (Universal)

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Beyond PLATOON, CASUALTIES OF WAR, THE GREEN BERETS, HAMBURGER HILL and APOCALYPSE NOW, which might have some of those "rights" issues attached to them, there aren't that many 'Nam offerings to attain, are there? 

Sepiatone

I think there are well over 50 total movies, maybe far more than that.  I doubt there are that many rights issues for many of them.

Here's one list of over 70, but some are TV movies or series.  One of my favorites is Go Tell the Spartans (1978) with Burt Lancaster.  I find The Green Berets silly.

19 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It seems she may have gotten a rep for being "difficult" after being replaced on Woody Allen's Husbands and Wives, and then quitting/being fired from Tank Girl (1994), which was a big production, even if it's largely forgotten now.

I also read this, which may explain things a bit:

Stated in 2009 interview that she had also been diagnosed with mild schizophrenia, attention deficit disorder, Tourette's syndrome and chronic insomnia.

I've asked same question for ys now? Also A RIVER RUNS THROUGHT IT, COOKIE & IN COUNTRY???

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Sepiatone

The Boys in Company C, Full Metal Jacket, and We Were Soldiers come to mind.

Here's a whole page of other choices:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vietnam_War_in_film

• Thanks 3

On 5/22/2019 at 2:50 PM, TheCid said:

I know this is my annual complaint, but you would still think TCM could do better.  Apparently this year they are ignoring all wars except WW  II.

Apparently we are getting a reprieve from the annual nearly four days of war movies and having just regular weekend programming. That is probably because TCM is showing WWII movies every Thursday in May and June in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of D-Day.  I always complained about that weekend because 1. It is usually just one war - WWII 2. Almost all of them are films about combat, few on the homefront 3. They are the same old MGM/WB/RKO films about that war. It almost seemed like a cheap and easy way to program four days rather than a tribute IMHO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/25/2019 at 6:27 AM, calvinnme said:

Apparently we are getting a reprieve from the annual nearly four days of war movies and having just regular weekend programming. That is probably because TCM is showing WWII movies every Thursday in May and June in commemoration of the 75th anniversary of D-Day.  I always complained about that weekend because 1. It is usually just one war - WWII 2. Almost all of them are films about combat, few on the homefront 3. They are the same old MGM/WB/RKO films about that war. It almost seemed like a cheap and easy way to program four days rather than a tribute IMHO.

I do not call it a "reprieve" but a travesty. What...we let it slip from history because...well we do it the same thing every year? We are already forgetting....all we've lost and sacrificed. All it took to storm the beaches. Hardly "cheap and easy"...but a true tribute. NOBODY....did it like TCM. We could always count on them to honor our fallen heroes and have a true days-long memorial.  And this year running nothing? I suppose we should give up Christmas and Halloween....because well awe do the same sheet every year...boring. 

No...I say this is unacceptable. 

1 hour ago, tcmsteven said:

I do not call it a "reprieve" but a travesty. What...we let it slip from history because...well we do it the same thing every year? We are already forgetting....all we've lost and sacrificed. All it took to storm the beaches. Hardly "cheap and easy"...but a true tribute. NOBODY....did it like TCM. We could always count on them to honor our fallen heroes and have a true days-long memorial.  And this year running nothing? I suppose we should give up Christmas and Halloween....because well awe do the same sheet every year...boring. 

Except we are not doing the same thing every year. This year there is a weekly two month tribute to WWII during May and June. And during the long Memorial Day Weekend you are getting one day of programming on Memorial Day that emphasizes war. So you get a tribute, just not four days of it. You mention Christmas. TCM does not air continual Christmas movies for as many days as they program war movies on Memorial Day weekend - 2 days on 12/24 and 12/25 versus four days for Memorial Day weekend.  I do not see how this is unacceptable.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, calvinnme said:

Except we are not doing the same thing every year. This year there is a weekly two month tribute to WWII during May and June. And during the long Memorial Day Weekend you are getting one day of programming on Memorial Day that emphasizes war. So you get a tribute, just not four days of it. You mention Christmas. TCM does not air continual Christmas movies for as many days as they program war movies on Memorial Day weekend - 2 days on 12/24 and 12/25 versus four days for Memorial Day weekend.  I do not see how this is unacceptable.

Right. People are throwing a hissy fit because they can't/won't adapt to TCM changing it up a bit.

Anyone notice they aired Santa Claus Conquers The Martians the other day? :P

I caught the short "I Am An American" and my ears perked up when they played a different rendition of a song that I hadn't actually heard anywhere outside of my own 78RPM record collection.  "(Shout Wherever You May Be) I Am An American" (1940, Okeh records).  I'm just happy to know it is already out there and it wasn't some forgotten track, or by some weird circumstance a one-of-a-kind recording.  This is the version I have.  The exact same track having been misnamed on Youtube in several different ways, I had no idea it had been posted before.  Here is a more recent upload with the correct title.  Worthy of being played just before TV station sign-off, in my opinion.

17 hours ago, tcmsteven said:

They have just narrowed it down to one day and then the other days later in tribute to 75th anniversary of D Day.  Four days was too much to begin with, especially since most of them were WW II movies.

• Like 1

This thread is almost making me too tired to comment, but I feel compelled to echo what multiple posters have already said on here ... that TCM is actually showing MORE war movies this year because of the 75th anniversary of D-Day. They're just spread out over two whole months rather than crammed into one weekend. I can't fathom why this programming change should upset anyone so much.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, TheCid said:

They have just narrowed it down to one day and then the other days later in tribute to 75th anniversary of D Day.  Four days was too much to begin with, especially since most of them were WW II movies.

Totally agree. Many of us wanted them to cut down on the weekend long marathon. It was excessive and the films shown weren't very diverse. 

• Like 1

On 5/26/2019 at 6:31 PM, calvinnme said:

I didn;t mean YOU as in TCM Christmas programming. I mean LIFE in general. YEs...you had a few very weak war movies on Memorial Day...in "tribute". Yes.....this year has some special programming throughout said 2 months. But you're main reaosn seems to be people are "tired of it". "we do this every year so we decided to finally stop it". Well...some people approve and some don't. The not approvers get dismissed....no value in THEIR opinion, right?

• Confused 2