the ice follies of 1939 (1939) with joan crawford
at the circus (1939) with marx brothers
the women (1939) with norma shearer
wuthering heights (1939) with laurence olivier
love affair (1939) with irene dunne

Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 7.36.16 AM.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done. I know 1939 is pretty legendary, and that this is a big anniversary year - but this is a good organizing principle for other programming.

10 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

Well done. I know 1939 is pretty legendary, and that this is a big anniversary year - but this is a good organizing principle for other programming.

Thanks. I agree. There's no reason why they can't do other yearly themes. 

They did put some lesser known B films into the daytime slots, like THE GIRL FROM MEXICO and PRIVATE DETECTIVE. So these aren't exactly going to be some of the films people think of when they think of 1939.

Also I find their inclusion of JAMAICA INN to be a bit strange. This is supposed to be a look at films made in Hollywood during the year 1939. But JAMAICA INN is a British picture. It's like they were eager to include Alfred Hitchcock, but this was the only film Hitch made in '39, before he came to America. And it's not exactly one of his better efforts.

I think they should have gone outside the Turner library for other selections. For example, I would have added DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK a fine Technicolor drama from Fox starring Henry Fonda; JESSE JAMES, a great Technicolor western from Fox with Tyrone Power; MIDNIGHT, a delightful screwball comedy from Paramount with Claudette Colbert; and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, a classic Universal western with James Stewart.

• Like 2

THE FOUR FEATHERS also is not a Hollywood product ...and even Hitchcock fans dislike JAMAICA INN, so I cannot guess what those two entries are meant to suggest.

The others you suggest are all very worthy of inclusion. DRUMS never gets much attention (and the programmers probably would say they've got John Ford and Fonda covered by YOUNG MR. LINCOLN); JESSE JAMES and other early Tyrone Power films are given very little exposure on TCM; DESTRY RIDES AGAIN used to be considered a classic, but rarely is shown; and MIDNIGHT is outstanding - mentioning it here is a reminder that Mitchell Leisen is deserving of a career retrospective.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

THE FOUR FEATHERS also is not a Hollywood product ...and even Hitchcock fans dislike JAMAICA INN, so I cannot guess what those two entries are meant to suggest.

The others you suggest are all very worthy of inclusion. DRUMS never gets much attention (and the programmers probably would say they've got John Ford and Fonda covered by YOUNG MR. LINCOLN); JESSE JAMES and other early Tyrone Power films are given very little exposure on TCM; DESTRY RIDES AGAIN used to be considered a classic, but rarely is shown; and MIDNIGHT is outstanding - mentioning it here is a reminder that Mitchell Leisen is deserving of a career retrospective.

Thanks for drawing our attention to THE FOUR FEATHERS. Yes, it's a British production. They certainly could have expanded their focus and included more international films from 1939. But I think they're promoting this retrospective as 1939: Hollywood's Golden Year. Meaning THE FOUR FEATHERS and JAMAICA INN technically do not qualify.

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I think they should have gone outside the Turner library for other selections. For example, I would have added DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK a fine Technicolor drama from Fox starring Henry Fonda; JESSE JAMES, a great Technicolor western from Fox with Tyrone Power; MIDNIGHT, a delightful screwball comedy from Paramount with Claudette Colbert; and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN, a classic Universal western with James Stewart.

Yes! Sadly, these are all very good films that get lost in 1939 discussions most of the times.

54 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

Yes! Sadly, these are all very good films that get lost in 1939 discussions most of the times.

They never used to "get lost." If DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK, JESSE JAMES, MIDNIGHT and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN were MGM films in the Turner library, TCM would be playing the heck out of them. The programmers know these are good classic films from 1939.

I still think they could remove JAMAICA INN from this lineup and substitute it with something better.

• Like 1

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (the first Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce teaming of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson) is another 1939 release that was not shown. It was followed later that year by THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES. After that, 20th Century Fox could not agree with the Conan Doyle estate on future adaptations. Universal Studios picked up the series in 1942.

• Thanks 1