TopBilled

Extra daily programming (for fun)

93 posts in this topic

Extra Daily Programming

This will be like the Programming challenge threads, except that instead of creating a full week’s schedules, I invite participants to just create a simple daytime schedule or primetime schedule.

If you do a daytime schedule the hours are from 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., meaning you will be able to include 14 hours worth of films.  If you do a primetime schedule the hours are from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., meaning you are able to include 10 hours worth of films. You can do both, if you'd like to program a full 24-hour block of films, but that is not necessary.

What’s the purpose of this? First, it’s not a game. There will be no competition or voting. It’s a creative way to honor your favorite stars, directors, producers, etc., each day. Not every day will focus on a person, however. The theme may be broader like movies starring international actors from a specific country, or directors from a specific decade, or action movies from the 21st century. That sort of thing.

I will come up with the day’s theme(s). If there is more than one notable birthday, then there may be a chance to program films that focus on more than one person. If it’s a day where there are a lot of notable birthdays, then I will just pick two or three individuals, and we can program for the other stars one year later when their birthday comes around again. Make sense?

I expect the thread may take a while to catch on, but I hope others feel compelled to join in and share their classic movie ideas as we go forward. If you've done the Programming Challenges in the past, then you will enjoy doing this. And this can be a place where you work on and brainstorm ideas for future Programming Challenges, so it will be win-win. And hopefully lots of fun!

I don’t want to create a bunch of rules. The basic rule is that the films programmed fit the day’s theme(s) and fit within the allotted hours. Also, any feature film (45 minutes or longer) can be chosen up to yesterday, meaning that current releases can definitely be included if they fit the theme.

I will post the first theme, for tomorrow the 28th of May, in a little while. So anyone who wants to do this with me tomorrow will have time to think about which films they’d like to program. Thanks!

• Like 1

THEME 001: JOHN F. KENNEDY

The 29th of May 2019

Tomorrow would have been the late president’s 102nd birthday. 

Create a daytime, primetime or 24-hour schedule of films that feature Kennedy or mention Kennedy on screen. These can be fiction or non-fiction (documentary) films. Looking forward to everyone’s ideas.

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 12.23.01 PM.jpg

In the photo above, Kennedy is being served a piece of birthday cake in 1961, on his 44th birthday.

6 AM A Perfect World (1993) Kevin Costner & Clint Eastwood D: Clint Eastwood WB 138 min Premiere [Mentions Kennedy]

8:30 AM PT 109 (1963) Cliff Robertson & Ty Hardin D: Leslie Martinson & Lewis Milestone WB 140 min p/s [He's the lead character]

11 AM Love Field (1992) Michelle Pfeiffer & Dennis Haysbert D; Jonathan Kaplan Orion 102 min Premiere [Main character is obsessesd with the Kennedies; assassination referenced]

12:45 PM Executive Action (1973) Burt Lancaster & Robert Ryan D: David Miller National General 91 min p/s [assassination is main plot point]

2:30 PM When Harry Met Sally... (1989) Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan D: Rob Reiner Columbia/Castle Rock 95 min p/s [assassination is referenced with line : "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?"]

4:15 PM JFK (1991) Kevin Costner & Tommy Lee Jones D: Oliver Stone WB 206 min p/s [assassination is major backbone of the film]

Short to fill in until 8 PM

8 PM Jackie (2016) Natalie Portman & Greta Gerwig D: Pablo Larrain Fox Searchlight 100 min Premiere [film's about his grieving widow, and the planning for his funeral]

9:45 PM Nashville (1975) Ronee Blakely & Keith Carradine D: Robert Altman Paramount 166 min p/s [the Barbara Baxley character still deeply mourns the Kennedies]

12:45 AM Thirteen Days (2000) Bruce Greenwood & Kevin Costner D: Roger Donaldson New line Cinema 145 min Premiere [All about the Cuban Missile Crisis, with Kennedy as one of the main characters]

3:15 AM In the Line of Fire (1993) Clint Eastwood & John Malkovich D: Wolfgang Petersen Columbia/Castle Rock 138 min p/s [Assassination is referenced frequently]

Short to fill in to 6 AM

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

6 AM A Perfect World (1993) Kevin Costner & Clint Eastwood Dir: Clint Eastwood WB 138 min Premiere [Mentions Kennedy]

8:30 AM PT 109 (1963) Cliff Robertson & Ty Hardin Dir: Leslie Martinson & Lewis Milestone WB 140 min p/s [He's the lead character]

11 AM Love Field (1992) Michelle Pfeiffer & Dennis Haysbert Dir: Jonathan Kaplan Orion 102 min Premiere [Main character is obsessesd with the Kennedies; assassination referenced]

12:45 PM Executive Action (1973) Burt Lancaster & Robert Ryan Dir: David Miller National General 91 min p/s [assassination is main plot point]

2:30 PM When Harry Met Sally... (1989) Billy Crystal and Meg Ryan Dir: Rob Reiner Columbia/Castle Rock 95 min p/s [assassination is referenced with line : "Where were you when Kennedy was shot?"]

4:15 PM JFK (1991) Kevin Costner & Tommy Lee Jones Dir: Oliver Stone WB 206 min p/s [assassination is major backbone of the film]

Short to fill in until 8 PM

8 PM Jackie (2016) Natalie Portman & Greta Gerwig Dir: Pablo Larrain Fox Searchlight 100 min Premiere [film's about his grieving widow, and the planning for his funeral]

9:45 PM Nashville (1975) Ronee Blakely & Keith Carradine Dir: Robert Altman Paramount 166 min p/s [the Barbara Baxley character still deeply mourns the Kennedies]

12:45 AM Thirteen Days (2000) Bruce Greenwood & Kevin Costner Dir: Roger Donaldson New line Cinema 145 min Premiere [All about the Cuban Missile Crisis, with Kennedy as one of the main characters]

3:15 AM In the Line of Fire (1993) Clint Eastwood & John Malkovich Dir: Wolfgang Petersen Columbia/Castle Rock 138 min p/s [Assassination is referenced frequently]

Short to fill in to 6 AM

What an excellent lineup! I haven't seen JACKIE (2016). I like IN THE LINE OF THE FIRE very much.

• Like 1

Okay, I just did my schedule for tomorrow. I am glad CinemaInternational went first, since it helps having such a great example to make sure I've formatted mine correctly. 

I wanted my schedule to be a bit different so it wasn't repeating most of the same titles. So what I did was I looked at the lists of films released by each major American studio in 1963. And I put together a schedule that consists of titles that were in theaters around the time of Kennedy's assassination.

Daytime Schedule

6:00 a.m. Take Her She's Mine (1963); James Stewart & Sandra Dee; Dir: Henry Koster; FOX; 98 mins; p/s; [Fox's last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 13th of November].

7:45 a.m. Palm Springs Weekend (1963); Troy Donahue & Connie Stevens; Dir: Norman Taurog; WB; 100 mins; p/s; [Warners' last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 5th of November].

9:30 a.m. The Old Dark House (1963); Tom Poston & Robert Morley; Dir: William Castle; COL; 86 mins; p/s; [Columbia's last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 31st of October].

11:00 a.m. A New Kind of Love (1963); Paul Newman & Joanne Woodward; Dir: Melville Shavelson; PAR; 110 mins; Premiere; [Paramount's last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 30th of October].

1:00 p.m. Dementia 13 (1963); William Campbell & Luana Anders; Dir: Francis Coppola; AIP; 80 mins; p/s; [American International's last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 25th of September].

2:30 p.m. The Wheeler Dealers (1963); James Garner & Lee Remick; Dir: Arthur Hiller; MGM; 107 mins; p/s; [MGM's last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 14th of November].

4:30 p.m. Gunfight at Comanche Creek (1963); Audie Murphy & Colleen Miller; Dir: Frank McDonald; AA; 90 mins; p/s; [Allied Artists' last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 6th of November].

6:30 p.m. The Kiss of the Vampire (1963); Clifford Evans & Noel Willman; Dir: Don Sharp; RANK/UNIV; 88 mins; Premiere; [Universal's last release prior to Kennedy's death, released on the 11th of September].

• Like 1

Fun idea for an ongoing thread. Here's my crack at this for your May 29 theme.

Primetime Schedule

8:00PM Primary (1960). Director: Robert Drew. Criterion Collection, 60 minutes. P/S

9:15PM PT 109 (1963) Cliff Robertson & Robert Culp. Director: Leslie H. Martinsen. Warner Bros., 140 minutes. P/S

11:45PM The Fog of War (2003) Robert McNamara. Director: Errol Morris. Sony Pictures Classics, 110 minutes. Premiere

1:45AM John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums (1965) Narrated by Gregory Peck. Director: Bruce Herschenschon. Embassy Pictures, 85 minutes. Premiere

3:30AM Four Days in November (1964) Narrated by Richard Basehart. Director: Mel Stuart. MGM/UA, 122 minutes. P/S

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Barton_Keyes said:

Fun idea for an ongoing thread. Here's my crack at this for your May 29 theme.

Primetime Schedule

8:00PM Primary (1960). Director: Robert Drew. Criterion Collection, 60 minutes. P/S

9:15PM PT 109 (1963) Cliff Robertson & Robert Culp. Director: Leslie H. Martinsen. Warner Bros., 140 minutes. P/S

11:45PM The Fog of War (2003) Robert McNamara. Director: Errol Morris. Sony Pictures Classics, 110 minutes. Premiere

1:45AM John F. Kennedy: Years of Lightning, Day of Drums (1965) Narrated by Gregory Peck. Director: Bruce Herschenschon. Embassy Pictures, 85 minutes. Premiere

3:30AM Four Days in November (1964) Narrated by Richard Basehart. Director: Mel Stuart. MGM/UA, 122 minutes. P/S

Nice schedule Barton. I like how you included some documentaries.

I like the idea behind this thread, but it was too hard for me to think enough films to fill up a day's programming with this theme! I will throw out one that I don't think anybody's mentioned yet: The In-Laws (Warner Bros., 1979), in which Peter Falk has a framed autographed picture of JFK on his wall that says, "At least we tried". When Alan Arkin asks him what that's all about, Falk replies, "The Bay of Pigs ... it was my idea". 😀

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I like the idea behind this thread, but it was too hard for me to think enough films to fill up a day's programming with this theme! I will throw out one that I don't think anybody's mentioned yet: The In-Laws (Warner Bros., 1979), in which Peter Falk has a framed autographed picture of JFK on his wall that says, "At least we tried". When Alan Arkin asks him what that's all about, Falk replies, "The Bay of Pigs ... it was my idea". 😀

Well, some themes will probably be easier than others. And thank you for mentioning THE IN-LAWS. Great film.

Hope to see you contribute more as we go along! 

I will be posting tomorrow's theme after lunch. I'm in Arizona, on Arizona Time. We don't observe daylight savings here.

THEME 002: EMERGENCY!

The 30th of May 2019

Create a daytime, primetime or 24-hour schedule of films that feature doctors, nurses or other emergency personnel dealing with a medical crisis.

Screen Shot 2019-05-29 at 8.38.39 AM.jpg

I have a theme of my own in mind. Can't use it until next year. Randy Travis has a birthday on May 4. My theme has nothing to do with Randy. Instead, his song "1982." My schedule would be movies from 1982.

TB, would you be interested in giving others poetic license?

I can't do anything now. Still in post surgery mode. Only using my tablet. I am the slowest typist on the planet.

I'm sure you understand why Arizona does not want the sun to shine for an extra hour.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I have a theme of my own in mind. Can't use it until next year. Randy Travis has a birthday on May 4. My theme has nothing to do with Randy. Instead, his song "1982." My schedule would be movies from 1982.

TB, would you be interested in giving others poetic license?

I can't do anything now. Still in post surgery mode. Only using my tablet. I am the slowest typist on the planet.

I'm sure you understand why Arizona does not want the sun to shine for an extra hour.

I'm creating a file of themes for the next year. I will put 'MOVIES FROM 1982' down as the theme for May 4, 2020. How does that work for you? :) 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I'm creating a file of themes for the next year. I will put 'MOVIES FROM 1982' down as the theme for May 4, 2020. How does that work for you? :) 

I could change my mind by then. 😃 

This site could be helpful:

https://www.onthisday.com/

• Thanks 1

Here's what I came up with for tomorrow's theme.

EMERGENCY!

Primetime Schedule

8:00 p.m. Young Dr. Kildare (1938); Lionel Barrymore & Lew Ayres; Dir: Harold S. Bucquet; MGM; 82 mins; p/s; [Kildare is new on the job, when a man dies in the ambulance on the way to Blair General].

9:30 p.m. Battle Circus (1953); Humphrey Bogart & June Allyson; Dir: Richard Brooks; MGM; 90 mins; p/s; [Allyson plays a nurse who deals with enemy attacks, death and injury as part of a MASH unit in Korea].

11:15 p.m. MASH (1970); Donald Sutherland & Elliott Gould; Dir: Robert Altman; FOX; 116 mins; p/s; [New surgeons join a unit of medical personnel stationed in Korea and deal with assorted emergencies].

1:15 a.m. The Hospital (1971); George C. Scott & Diana Rigg; Dir: Arthur Hiller; UA; 103 mins; p/s; [Scott plays a doctor who learns about the deaths of two other doctors and a nurse].

3:00 a.m. Coma (1978); Genevieve Bujold & Michael Douglas; Dir: Michael Crichton; MGM; 113 mins; p/s; [A surgical resident at a Boston hospital learns that healthy patients are falling into comas].

• Like 1

I Like how the movies flow from older to newer. Also enjoy the connection with Battle Circus/MASH. Um, what happens between 5 & 6 AM?

14 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I Like how the movies flow from older to newer. Also enjoy the connection with Battle Circus/MASH. Um, what happens between 5 & 6 AM?

I figured a few short films could go in there. 

Originally I was going to include a comedy-- Jerry Lewis' THE DISORDERLY ORDERLY.

7 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I figured a few short films could go in there. 

Originally I was going to include a comedy-- Jerry Lewis' THE DISORDERLY ORDERLY.

Jerry Lewis gets my vote.

Thanks for doing this. You are helping me recoup. When I can use my PC again, I will want to jump in.

• Like 1

6 AM Life Begins (1932) Aline MacMahon & Loretta Young D: James Flood, Elliott Nugent First National 71 min

7:15 AM Green Light (1937) Errol Flynn & Anita Louise D: Frank Borzage WB 85 min

8:45 AM The Rains Came (1939) Tyrone Power & Myrna Loy D: Clarence Brown Fox 103 min p/s

10:30 AM Vigil in the Night (1940) Carole Lombard & Anne Shirley D; George Stevens RKO 96 min

12:15 PM The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944) Gary Cooper & Laraine Day D: Cecil B Demille Paramount 140 min p/s

2:45 PM Magnificent Obsession (1954) Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson D: Douglas Sirk UI 108 min

4:45 PM Night Nurse (1931) Barbara Stanwyck & Joan blondell D: William Wellman First National 72 min

6 PM The Citadel (1938) Robert Donat & Rosalind Russell D: King Vidor MGM 110 min

8 PM A Matter of life and Death (1946)David Niven & Kim Hunter D: The Archers (Powell and Pressburger) Columbia 104 min p/s

10 PM Green for Danger (1946) Alistair Sim & Trevor Howard D: Sidney Gillat Rank 91 min p/s

11:45 PM Fantastic Voyage (1966) Stephen Boyd & Donald Pleasance D: Richard Fleisher 20th Century Fox 100 min p/s

1:30 AM Not as a Stranger (1955) Robert Mitchum & Olivia De Havilland D: Stanley Kramer UA 135 min p/s

3:45 AM The Doctor (1991) William Hurt & Elizabeth Perkins D: Randa Haines Touchstone 122 min Premiere

• Like 2

14 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

6 AM Life Begins (1932) Aline MacMahon & Loretta Young Dir: James Flood, Elliott Nugent First National 71 min

7:15 AM Green Light (1937) Errol Flynn & Anita Louise Dir: Frank Borzage WB 85 min

8:45 AM The Rains Came (1939) Tyrone Power & Myrna Loy Dir: Clarence Brown Fox 103 min p/s

10:30 AM Vigil in the Night (1940) Carole Lombard & Anne Shirley D; George Stevens RKO 96 min

12:15 PM The Story of Dr. Wassell (1944) Gary Cooper & Laraine Day Dir: Cecil B Demille Paramount 140 min p/s

2:45 PM Magnificent Obsession (1954) Jane Wyman & Rock Hudson Dir: Douglas Sirk UI 108 min

4:45 PM Night Nurse (1931) Barbara Stanwyck & Joan blondell Dir: William Wellman First National 72 min

6 PM The Citadel (1938) Robert Donat & Rosalind Russell Dir: King Vidor MGM 110 min

8 PM A Matter of life and Death (1946)David Niven & Kim Hunter Dir: The Archers (Powell and Pressburger) Columbia 104 min p/s

10 PM Green for Danger (1946) Alistair Sim & Trevor Howard Dir: Sidney Gillat Rank 91 min p/s

11:45 PM Fantastic Voyage (1966) Stephen Boyd & Donald Pleasance Dir: Richard Fleisher 20th Century Fox 100 min p/s

1:30 AM Not as a Stranger (1955) Robert Mitchum & Olivia De Havilland Dir: Stanley Kramer UA 135 min p/s

3:45 AM The Doctor (1991) William Hurt & Elizabeth Perkins Dir: Randa Haines Touchstone 122 min Premiere

Nice variety of titles. The William Hurt movie did cross my mind, and it's one I haven't seen.

MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION really fits this theme, since the emergency sequence at the lake sets up the rest of the story.

• Like 1

THEME 003: CLINT EASTWOOD / JIM HUTTON

The 31st of May 2019

Screen Shot 2019-05-30 at 9.32.56 AM.jpg

Tomorrow is Clint Eastwood’s 89th birthday. It also would have been Jim Hutton’s 85th birthday. 

Create a daytime, primetime or 24-hour schedule of films that feature Eastwood or Hutton. In the case of Eastwood, you can include films where he did not appear on screen but served as director or producer. 

JIM HUTTON

6 a.m. - 7:45 a.m.

Ten Seconds To Hell. Robert Aldrich - writter/director. 93 minutes. United Artists. 1959. Role: Workman at Bomb Site (uncredited).

7:45 a.m. - 9:45 a.m.

Sunday In New York. Peter Tewkesbury - director. 105 minutes. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. 1963. Role: Man in Rowboat with Radio (uncredited)

9:45 a.m. - 11:45 a.m.

The Trouble With Angels. Ida Lapino - director. 112 minutes. Columbia Pictures. 1966. Role: Mr. Petrie (uncredited)

11:45 a.m.- 12 Noon - fill.

12 Noon - 2 p.m.

Where The Boys Are. Henry Levin - director. 99 minutes. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. 1960. Role: "TV" Thompson.

2 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

The Green Berets. John Wayne/Day Kellogg/Mervyn LeRoy (uncredited) - directors. 141 minutes. Warner Brothers-Seven Arts. 1968. Role: Sgt. Petersen.

4:30 p.m. - 6 p.m.

The Horizontal Lieutenant. Richard Thorpe - director. 90 minutes. Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer. 1962. Role: Second Lt. Merle Wye.

6 p.m. - 8 p.m.

Walk, Don't Run. Charles Walters - director. 114 minutes. Columbia Pictures. 1966. Role: Steve Davis.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The William Hurt movie did cross my mind, and it's one I haven't seen.

It's very good. In a way, I included it because it puts a different spin on the whole emergency plot, because in this case, its Hurt's character who is a rather aloof doctor who finds out he has cancer and ends up seeing things from the patient's point of view and becomes a better person because of it. I also picked it because not only is it a fine film, but there is one extraordinary scene with Hurt and Elizabeth Perkins (as a terminal cancer patient who knows her time is limited; its her best work, and it was very brave of her to appear without hair in a long,extended scene). He plans on driving her to a concert, but they break down in the desert, and he asks how she can remain so calm in dire circumstances. She answers that one thing she does sometimes is dance, and there suddenly in the middle of the desert, he asks her to dance, and the way the scene unfolds is just so deeply touching and life-affirming.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

It's very good. In a way, I included it because it puts a different spin on the whole emergency plot, because in this case, its Hurt's character who is a rather aloof doctor who finds out he has cancer and ends up seeing things from the patient's point of view and becomes a better person because of it. I also picked it because not only is it a fine film, but there is one extraordinary scene with Hurt and Elizabeth Perkins (as a terminal cancer patient who knows her time is limited; its her best work, and it was very brave of her to appear without hair in a long,extended scene). He plans on driving her to a concert, but they break down in the desert, and he asks how she can remain so calm in dire circumstances. She answers that one thing she does sometimes is dance, and there suddenly in the middle of the desert, he asks her to dance, and the way the scene unfolds is just so deeply touching and life-affirming.

Sounds wonderful. I am going to have to track down a copy and see this film. Thank you for mentioning it.

• Like 1

6 AM A Time to Love and a Time to Die (1958) John Gavin & Lislolette Pulver D: Douglas Sirk UI 132 min Premiere

8:15 AM The Trouble with Angels (1966) Rosalind Russell & Hayley Mills D: Ida Lupino Columbia 112 min p/s

10:15 AM Bachelor in Paradise (1961)  Bob Hope & Lana Turner D: Jack Arnold MGM 109 min

12:15 PM Walk Don't Run (1966) Samantha Eggar & Cary Grant D: Charles Walters Columbia 114 min p/s

2:15 PM The Subterraneans (1960) Leslie Caron & George Peppard D: Ranald MacDougal MGM 89 min

-----------------------------------------------------------

3:45 PM The Bridges of Madison County (1995) Meryl Streep & Clint Eastwood D: Clint Eastwood WB 135 min p/s

6 PM White Hunter Black Heart (1990) Clint Eastwood & Jeff Fahey D: Clint Eastwood WB 112 min p/s

8 PM Two Mules for Sister Sara (1970) Clint Eastwood & Shirley MacLaine D: Don Siegel Universal 116 min p/s

10 PM Bronco Billy (1980) Clint Eastwood & Sondra Locke D: Clint Eastwood WB 116 min Premiere

12 AM Never Say Goodbye (1956) Rock Hudson & Cornel Borchers D: Jerry Hopper UI 96 min premiere

1:45 AM Joe Kidd (1972) Clint Eastwood & Robert Duvall D: John Sturges Universal 87 min Premiere

3:15 AM Paint Your Wagon (1969) Lee Marvin & Clint Eastwood D: Joshua Logan Paramount 164 min p/s

• Like 1