Kay

Truffaut's THE GREEN ROOM (1978) airs Friday

15 posts in this topic

I've been looking forward to seeing this one again. The last time this movie was on TCM, as I recall, was during their month-long tribute to Francois Truffaut maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and of all the films I saw for the first time during that month (and I watched a ton of 'em!) this is the one that I have thought about the most in the years since. I don't want get into it too much before it airs, tho I must say I've rarely seen a film whose central character (played by Truffaut himself) was so discomforting and difficult to understand. It's not too hard to see why this was one of Truffaut's least successful (monetarily speaking) films-- I've also heard that he considered it his most personal, (and this coming from the guy with the 5-film-long autobiography.)

Also known as "Altar of the Dead" (based on a Henry James story)

vlcsnap-6743009.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Yes, I'm glad TCM has decided to do an evening of Truffaut films. Looking forward to it very much.

• Like 2

One of Truffaut's later films, I think I have seen it before. It is a shame he died so relatively young.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this film is harbinger for his own death.

This was one of his last films and initially I would say it was influenced a great deal by the legacy of World War I in France, where they lost a generation of men.

But looking back on the " Green Room " today, it seems to be some sort of a Love Letter to death in general.  A way of becoming comfortable and intimate with death itself.

And, then there's the fact that he actually starred in this film himself.

It's truly a lovingly, beautifully photographed film.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Truffaut has always been hit-or-miss with me. I haven't seen The Green Room, though, so I'll add it to my to-see list.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Truffaut has always been hit-or-miss with me. I haven't seen The Green Room, though, so I'll add it to my to-see list.

I can understand your frustration in part because I don't think his movies have a lot of continuity.

They all seem so unique and some work and some don't. But the good news is he doesn't really repeat himself.

Also he has a quirky sense of humor.

I think the "Green Room" is more a sensual

( relating to the senses not necessarily sexual)

film rather than a plot or action oriented one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

I must say I really want to see it. He's a favorite director of mine, and thins is one that's pretty rare to find.

Do you have a favorite Truffaut movie?

I love " The Woman Next Door ". There's never a dull moment in that movie.

Just now, Princess of Tap said:

Do you have a favorite Truffaut movie?

I love " The Woman Next Door ". There's never a dull moment in that movie.

The last Metro for me. Completely fascinating.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

The last Metro for me. Completely fascinating.

The Last Metro was my favorite, as well. Followed by Jules and JimFahrenheit 451The Story of Adele H., and Shoot the Piano Player.

I know they're considered pinnacles of film achievement, but The 400 Blows and Day for Night left me cold. I'll see more of his work as I make my way through the Criterion Channel's offerings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

The Last Metro was my favorite, as well. Followed by Jules and JimFahrenheit 451The Story of Adele H., and Shoot the Piano Player.

I know they're considered pinnacles of film achievement, but The 400 Blows and Day for Night left me cold. I'll see more of his work as I make my way through the Criterion Channel's offerings.

It's the opposite with me. I like Jules and Jim and Shoot the Piano Player, but Day for Night and The 400 Blows are at the top of my list.

Besides The Green Room, I think I liked The Wild Child best. The kid's performance was astonishing.

• Like 1

Hopefully people will take the time to watch these films tonight on TCM.

I'm pretty sure TCM had a better print of this movie last time it ran. Tonight's showing was very blurry, in that youtube-y low bit-rate way. And while I'm glad that they showed it, it's a really rotten way to see a movie...