Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Representation on British soaps

17 posts in this topic

The British soaps are miles ahead of the American soaps in this area. 

There is plenty of representation and the characters are well integrated with their straight counterparts.

I thought maybe I would start sharing clips of scenes from British soaps to create discussion.

• Like 1

This clip is from yesterday's episode of EastEnders:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I prefer the loving, caring relationship between Sonny Kiriakis and Will Horton on "Days Of Our Lives".

7 minutes ago, rayban said:

I prefer the loving, caring relationship between Sonny Kiriakis and Will Horton on "Days Of Our Lives".

Interesting, Ray.

I tend to prefer edgier stuff, where there is a bit of love-hate involved. On a soap, a super couple's storyline needs drama. And I think it's better if the drama comes from within the relationship, instead of contrived outside obstacles getting in the way. 

I don't find the relationship between Sonny and Will to be very realistic. Also I think the show's producers are playing it too safe, by making them so likable (so they don't offend straight middle America) they are almost bland. 

Don't get me wrong, I can see why they've lasted and I can see they have lots of fans. But it's not the kind of stuff I find very interesting or realistic.

Ben and Callum on EastEnders are a shocking couple. There's excitement, misery, hatred, love, passion-- a lot of different emotions going on. And they've only just started.

• Like 1

It's an interesting article - and I do not object to the edgier stuff.

But to see a gay couple on "Days Of Our Lives" every week who are obviously devoted to each other is "revolutionary" to me.

They touch each other, they embrace each other, they kiss each other - and they often do it in close-ups, too.

They live for one another.

What you might be objecting to is that their romance embraces the very soul of soap opera.

They are usually the victims of outside forces, like the successful attempt by a gay young man to blackmail Sonny into marrying him.

Or the most recent one in which Will is suffering from a brain tumor.

Perhaps there is too much of the essence of soap opera.

But their love for each other is so persistent.

And visible, in the best possible way.

JPI_Episode13481_0001785956-1014x570.jpg

wilson-make-out-reunite-days-jj.jpg?fit=

23 minutes ago, rayban said:

It's an interesting article - and I do not object to the edgier stuff.

But to see a gay couple on "Days Of Our Lives" every week who are obviously devoted to each other is "revolutionary" to me.

They touch each other, they embrace each other, they kiss each other - and they often do it in close-ups, too.

They live for one another.

What you might be objecting to is that their romance embraces the very soul of soap opera.

They are usually the victims of outside forces, like the successful attempt by a gay young man to blackmail Sonny into marrying him.

Or the most recent one in which Will is suffering from a brain tumor.

Perhaps there is too much of the essence of soap opera.

But their love for each other is so persistent.

And visible, in the best possible way.

Ray,

I don't care for them. I'm sorry. I respect your being a fan, and I am not objecting to their "love" story. I am objecting to their blandness and the contrived scenarios the writers come up with to breathe some life into them and make them "interesting."

Anyway, I created this thread to talk about representation on British soaps, since I feel the British soaps do a better job with LGBT representation. 

If you want, I can rename this thread Sonny & Will and let you take over. But I'd like to create a thread that just focuses on representation of LGBT issues on British soaps since it's more interesting to me. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Since I am not acquained with British soaps, I will let you take over.

45 minutes ago, rayban said:

Since I am not acquained with British soaps, I will let you take over.

Thanks. Well, hopefully the articles and the clips I post will cause readers to check out the British soaps. That was the main purpose behind my creating the thread. I wanted to encourage people to look at shows that have a lot more progressive LGBT representation. In my view the American shows are weak. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.41.24 PM.jpeg

Tomorrow night's episode of Holby City continues an important arc about two gay doctors named Dominic and Isaac. Isaac (pictured, right) lost his license to practice and he's come back to the hospital with his father, because his father is dying. The scenes between Isaac and and his ex-lover Dom (pictured, left), a doctor still on staff, have been brilliant.

They broke up on the show back in 2017 due to an incident of domestic violence. So they are revisiting all of that, while Isaac's father is dying.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.41.38 PM.jpeg
What I love about this couple is that their story is about control and letting go. They have so much history, but their relationship is very broken at this point. An episode two weeks ago was called "Unredeemed." These two actors are hitting it out of the park. Truly excellent. I think we're going to find out that Isaac's been poisoning his father, causing him to die, so that Isaac would have an excuse to come back to the hospital to see Dom again. He's that dangerous.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.59.32 PM.jpeg

The British soaps are not afraid to make gay characters flawed, and in this case, one is quite villainous. This couple has a huge fanbase, and that's why the writers decided to revisit them as a couple, because two years after they broke up, the audience wanted them to interact again. The writers are making it seem like Isaac is unredeemable, and that his love for Dom is deadly. But I have a feeling they won't take Isaac all the way across the line and turn him into an actual murderer. They will keep the door open for him to have more story with Dom later on. It's a brilliantly written and acted scenario. 

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 4.56.28 PM.png

• Like 1

Actor Marc Elliott talks about playing a gay domestic abuse story, and his recent return to the role of Isaac on Holby City:

On 6/1/2019 at 10:30 PM, TopBilled said:

This clip is from yesterday's episode of EastEnders:

Max Bowden as Ben Mitchell is cute I hope these two end in bed

7 minutes ago, jaragon said:

Ben Mitchell is cute I hope these two end in bed

They had some good scenes in today's episode. Callum and his girlfriend Whitney recently moved into a new flat. So they were having a housewarming party. Ben showed up with another mutual friend and got very drunk. He wandered off and someone asked Callum to find Ben. Callum found him in a spare bedroom. Ben was on the bed, crying about an ex-lover who had died. Callum started to feel sorry for him. Ben then said he wouldn't tell Callum's girlfriend Whitney or the other people at the party about his secret (that he was gay too).

Later when Ben was on his way home, he seemed to look at Callum longingly.

A lot more is supposed to be happening between these two in future episodes. Spoilers suggest they might kiss on Thursday's two-part episode.

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 3.46.38 PM.png

• Like 1

Ben & Callum (being shipped as Ballum) did kiss in today's two-part episode.

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 11:49 PM, TopBilled said:

Ben & Callum (being shipped as Ballum) did kiss in today's two-part episode:

32v6qk.gif

And that was one hot kiss😍

• Like 1

I'm watching the new episode of Holby City on Britbox at the moment. Isaac is up to more shenanigans.

Screen Shot 2019-06-11 at 8.34.23 PM.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1