TopBilled

Who would you like to see honored as Star of the Month in January..?

115 posts in this topic

On 6/6/2019 at 5:41 AM, Brrrcold said:

Seems like they could do a month of 'scream queens' ... Simone Simon, Evelyn Ankers, Barbara Shelley, Jamie Lee Curtis - others I'm sure.

The more I think about it, this is a really excellent idea.

It would be easy to promote/advertise.

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

The more I think about it, this is a really excellent idea.

It would be easy to promote/advertise.

Why have one when you can have four. Mix it up. Spread the fun.

• Like 1

One of the original scream queens, Fay Wray, has never been Star of the Month. It would be nice to see her honored...she has quite an extensive filmography. Plus as a Canadian-born actress, she'd make TCM's Canadian viewers happy.

Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 5.41.20 PM.jpeg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

there is more to Fay Ray than one movie.

Yeah, it'll be fun to show her in Queen Bee again.

4 hours ago, Fedya said:

Yeah, it'll be fun to show her in Queen Bee again.

From what I've read, Wray and Crawford were close friends.

I am so pleased to read and hear that you all are with me about having Danny Kaye as Star Of The Month.  I really hope it’s Danny Kaye.  I just love him a whole lot.  He was so talented and so wonderful.  Wasn’t he?  So let’s all keep our fingers crossed.  I also posted him on the Star Of The Month board a long time ago and I was also asking. Anyone remember when he hosted Kraft Salutes Disneyland’s 25th Anniversary in 1980?  He was so outstanding and so excellent when he did that.  I just really loved it a whole lot and I would just really love to see all of his movies.  It would just be so much fun and so cool.  Wouldn’t it?  It’s to bad that he died too.  Isn’t it?

My list of SOTM wishes is always growing:

Right now:

-Ann Sheridan

-Joan Blondell

-Ida Lupino

-Edmond O'Brien

-Joan Bennett

-Ann Blyth

-Dan Duryea

-Richard Widmark

-Dorothy McGuire

-Lizabeth Scott (I wasn't a fan of hers at first, but she's kind of growing on me)

And if they have to pick a Halloween-type person for October, I'd vote for Vincent Price, just because I love him. 

• Like 3

Great choice.  Vincent Price is another really wonderful one too.  Isn’t he?  I really love him a whole lot too and since he did all kinds of scary movies?  He is perfect for the month of October/Halloween.  Isn’t he?  I would love to see Vincent Price as Star Of The Month in October again.  You got my vote.  I vote yes.  But if it doesn’t happen to be Vincent Price in October again this year?  I’m really hoping for Danny Kaye.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Great choice.  Vincent Price is another really wonderful one too.  Isn’t he?  I really love him a whole lot too and since he did all kinds of scary movies?  He is perfect for the month of October/Halloween.  Isn’t he?  I would love to see Vincent Price as Star Of The Month in October again.  You got my vote.  I vote yes.  But if it doesn’t happen to be Vincent Price in October again this year?  I’m really hoping for Danny Kaye.

Vincent Price was SOTM in October 2013.      Also I don't wish for October to be too focused on Halloween\horror films.   I.e. TCM shows enough of this during October without the SOTM being a major part of that genre.

So I say another choice NOT associated with the horror genre. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Vincent Price was SOTM in October 2013.      Also I don't wish for October to be too focused on Halloween\horror films.   I.e. TCM shows enough of this during October without the SOTM being a major part of that genre.

So I say another choice NOT associated with the horror genre. 

I'm not fond of the all horror programming either, but at least if they have to play the horror films, Price's have enough camp in them to make them amusing to me.  Price also has a lot of non-horror films that I think could be used to break up the monotony of all horror movies. What would be great too is if TCM could acquire the rights to some more Johnny Carson programming and show some of Price's appearances.  There is one segment I've seen on You Tube where Price shows Carson how to cook a meal in the dishwasher! 

Along these lines, I'd also vote for Peter Lorre for SOTM too.

However, I would also agree with you that a non-horror movie type person would be great as well.

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm not fond of the all horror programming either, but at least if they have to play the horror films, Price's have enough camp in them to make them amusing to me.  Price also has a lot of non-horror films that I think could be used to break up the monotony of all horror movies. What would be great too is if TCM could acquire the rights to some more Johnny Carson programming and show some of Price's appearances.  There is one segment I've seen on You Tube where Price shows Carson how to cook a meal in the dishwasher! 

Along these lines, I'd also vote for Peter Lorre for SOTM too.

However, I would also agree with you that a non-horror movie type person would be great as well.

Peter Lorre would be a great SOTM for October;    TCM could set-aside one night for his horror films and the other evenings for all the other fine films Lorre was in.    That could be 5 separate days if between Tuesday and Saturday.    According to my records the last time was October 2004.

So great idea and time for a repeat!

• Like 3

If they do feature a star in October that is strongly associated with the horror genre, I think it's time to feature someone like Simone Simon or one of the scream queens. They do need to get away from this idea that horror is a genre dominated by men. Needs to be a bit of gender equality here.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, arpirose said:

Why not make PAULETTE GODDARD SOTM  for October. She deserves it as much as the others.  She was basically a PARAMOUNT STAR so she is irrelevant to the programers.

Goddard had a Summer Under the Stars tribute a few years ago, so she is definitely on the programmers' radar.

3 hours ago, arpirose said:

Why not make PAULETTE GODDARD SOTM  for October. She deserves it as much as the others.  She was basically a PARAMOUNT STAR so she is irrelevant to the programers.

https://www.ultimatemovierankings.com/paulette-goddard-movies/

You appear to have no clue about how films are leased by the various networks from the content providers.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You appear to have no clue about how films are leased by the various networks from the content providers.

Me too. 😎

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Me too. 😎

TCM is a Ted Turner company.  He purchased the MGM film library which also included pre-1950 Warner Brothers films and RKO's library.  TCM already has the rights to show most MGM, RKO and WB movies.  If a star was under contract to one of those studios, their films are shown often (for the most part).  However, if a star was under contract to another studio e.g. Paramount or Universal, TCM has to make deals with these studios for the rights to air these films.  The "big" film that TCM wants may also come packaged with some lesser films.  Or perhaps, TCM will only be given the right to air the "big" film a limited number of times.  TCM will have to take the terms of the deal if they want the film.  These packaging deals I imagine cost TCM a lot more money than just airing films that they already own.  I would also imagine that TCM has a set budget for programming and have only so many programming packages that they can acquire throughout the year. 

December, to me, always seems like a hodgepodge of all the year's programming themes i.e. leftover movies, with Christmas sprinkled in. 

5 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Me too. 😎

In some ways it is like we are back in the studio-era where the studios (content creators),  owned theater chains (content providers) and where the studios would only supply their films to their theaters. 

In small towns this limited what films were shown since a small town couldn't support multiple theaters,  one for each major studio.   Also,  the NON-major studios could only market their films to independent studios.   Studios would lease their films to other studio theater chains in these small markets but at a higher cost.

The studio system ended in 1948 with the U.S. Supreme Court decision United States v. Paramount, which banned block booking and ordered the studios to divest themselves of all theater holdings.

Today studios own networks (e.g. Fox has the FX stations, and co-owns others).   Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is an American movie-oriented pay-TV network operated by Warner Bros. Entertainment, a subsidiary of AT&T's WarnerMedia.

Such arrangements explains why certain networks tend to focus on films from certain studios.

• Thanks 1

This information is always new to somebody, so let's not be too hard on these folks! I think it only slowly dawns on a newbie or casual viewer that certain films get shown over and over, while certain studios and stars get shown rarely or not at all. Someone started a thread recently asking why TCM barely shows any Richard Widmark movies, and I responded, "Well, because ... Fox".

I was certainly like that at one time when I first started watching TCM almost 20 years ago. I remember once thinking to myself, "Man, Tyrone Power was a big star, wasn't he? Why do we never see any of his films except for Witness for the Prosecution?"

Saying Goddard is "irrelevant" to the programmers is a weird way to phrase it, though. I'm sure TCM would LIKE to show more Goddard movies.

1 hour ago, sewhite2000 said:

Saying Goddard is "irrelevant" to the programmers is a weird way to phrase it, though. I'm sure TCM would LIKE to show more Goddard movies.

Yea,   my post was a reaction to the 'irrelevant' comment.    They knew Goddard was a Paramount star so they can't claim total lack of knowledge in this area.    We all should be understanding of those that lack knowledge (since we all do depending on the subject),  but lacking knowledge doesn't give one licence to imply the TCM programmers are involved in some type of conspiracy (ha ha).      

• Like 1

I do understand money gets in the way. Nobody focuses on classics the way TCM does. (I followed the link about Paulette Goddard). Is anyone else going to show these old movies? 30-40s and a few 50s. Is anyone going to look for these movies elsewhere?

Found some films listed on JustWatch. Not many titles and Criterion Channel had the most.

Excuse me but I know how things are done. Don't make such assumptions.  All I can say, that the programmers are so cheap that they will not rent Films from the magnificent CLASSIC PARAMOUNT library. By the way, PARAMOUNT was a better studio than MGM.  MGM made so many  garbage films that are unreal.  They may have had slick production values, but most of their films were idiotic, especially the Andy Hardy series.the silly Judy Garland films.meyer was proud making reactionary films.  MGM wasted talented actors on garbage.

Let's see if they may honor DOROTHY LAMOUR, BOB HOPE, CAROLE LOMBARD, BING CROSBY, BETTY HUTTON, ROBERT PRESTON, MADELEINE CARROLL FRED MAC MURRAY , GARY COOPER'S FREDRIC MARCH'S AND RONALD COLMAN'S PARAMOUNT FILMS.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, arpirose said:

All I can say, that the programmers are so cheap that they will not rent Films from the magnificent CLASSIC PARAMOUNT library.

They rent some, especially for use during 31 Days of Oscar. Things like THE HEIRESS (1949), THE LOST WEEKEND (1945) and SUNSET BOULEVARD (1950). And during the rest of the year, they rent Paramount films when they do spotlights on Billy Wilder, Preston Sturges, Mae West and W.C. Fields. Yes, this doesn't happen often...but they do air some of these films. Plus they are allocating budget for things from Disney/Fox and Universal.