TopBilled

Who would you like to see honored as Star of the Month in January..?

115 posts in this topic

The TCM programmers use Paramount classics the least. By the way, Classic UNIVERSAL AND PARAMOUNT ARE THE SAME.  THIS IS A POOR EXCUSE. Since there is no other way to expose the Classic film fan to PARAMOUNT, Tcm should make a better effort to use their films in their rotation.

By the way, The whole Jane Powell SOTM  was a total joke.  She was never known as good actress or even a competent one.

3 hours ago, arpirose said:

Excuse me but I know how things are done. Don't make such assumptions.  All I can say, that the programmers are so cheap that they will not rent Films from the magnificent CLASSIC PARAMOUNT library.

Uh, it is you that continues to make bogus assumptions.   TCM does show films from what you are calling the 'classic Paramount library'.   E.g. When Lombard was SOTM they showed most of her best Paramount films.   TB has listed others.

Then you go on to say 'the programmers are so cheap';  you don't know what the reasons are why TCM doesn't lease these films.   Granted,  the lease cost is highly likely to be a factor but there could be other reasons;  Lease would require the films be shown a certain number of times, or only a very limited number of times,  or that the lease would require TCM to participate in marketing Box Set packages (something TB and I suspect may have occurred with the increase in Fox films being shown that are part of recent Box Set packs Fox released for sale).

Note I say 'MAY HAVE' (so I don't assume something I have no direct knowledge of,  like you're doing).

I do agree that Paramount produced more high-quality films that I enjoy over MGM.   I rate MGM as my 5th favorite 'major' studio of the studio-era.   Too many of their films were too polished and too refined and that made them sometimes look unrealistic or phony.  

I enjoy Warner Bros, RKO,  Paramount,  and 20th Century Fox over MGM (and sometimes even Columbia ranks higher,  but Columbia didn't produce close to as many films as these others).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up on Paramount films through the maga showings  These films were shown during the day, early morning showings and THE WONDERFUL FAMILY FILM FESTIVAL with the late Tom Hatten. It was such a joy to see these films.  I feel the classic films fans are being deprived not seeing PARAMOUNT CLASSICS.  They played a wonderful film with Ronald Colman called THE LIGHT THAT FAILED 1939. it introduced us to a very young IDA LUPINO, WHO GAVE BRAVURA PERFORMANCE as a woman going mad.I can go on and on about this studio. I was even was lucky enough to get a tour of the studio in the late 1980s.  I was lucky enough to see the  CHEERS set . That was terrific adventure.

Has Lee Marvin ever been Star of the Month? ("Lee Marvin? He's always drunk and surly!" Bart Simpson once said). Below are 14 films I think TCM would be likely to include, though sure a SOTM turn would have more films than that. I'm including studios so we can kind of consider how easy it would be for TCM to obtain all these films in one month. Marvin had to put in some years as a character actor, very often as a villain, before getting leading roles, so I think a lineup would probably have to include at least some of those earlier, supporting roles:

1953 The Big Heat (Columbia)
1953 The Wild One (Columbia)
1954 The Caine Mutiny (Columbia)
1955 Bad Day at Black Rock (MGM)
1955 Pete Kelly's Blues (Warner Bros.)
1957 Raintree County (MGM)
1962 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence (Paramount)
1965 Cat Ballou (Columbia)
1965 Ship of Fools (Columbia)
1966 The Professionals (Columbia)
1967 The Dirty Dozen (MGM)
1967 Point Blank (MGM)
1969 Paint Your Wagon (Paramount)
1980 The Big Red One (United Artists)

8 hours ago, arpirose said:

By the way, Classic UNIVERSAL AND PARAMOUNT ARE THE SAME.

So, MCA bought virtually every film Paramount made between 1929 and 1949, and then MCA was bought by Universal, which in turn was bought by Comcast. Interestingly, I feel like we see considerably more Paramount films that are owned by Universal on TCM then we do Paramount films that are owned by Paramount (i.e., 1950-on). Even though for whatever reason seeing any Universal films on TCM seems very rare.

I would certainly like more diversity of Paramount product on TCM, but the programmers at TCM seem really hung up with certain directors, albeit some of the most famous directors of all time. Just as TCM is infinitely more likely to show a Frank Capra film than every other film Columbia put out in the '30s combined, if they're gonna show something from Paramount, it's infinitely more likely to be an Ernst Lubitsch, Billy Wilder, Preston Sturges or Alfred Hitchcock (oh yeah, and I should probably put Von Sternberg in there too) film than every other film Paramount ever put out from any other director. So, it's a LOT of same-old same-old when it comes to TCM and Paramount. I would frankly like to see some less-famous films from less-famous directors because I've seen pretty much all those others many, many times.

Of the stars Arpirose mentions, I would say Hope/Crosby/Lamour get some TCM love on occasion (though Martin and Lewis very rarely). Gary Cooper's '30s Paramounts show up on occasion. 

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

So, MCA bought virtually every film Paramount made between 1929 and 1949, and then MCA was bought by Universal, which in turn was bought by Comcast. Interestingly, I feel like we see considerably more Paramount films that are owned by Universal on TCM then we do Paramount films that are owned by Paramount (i.e., 1950-on). Even though for whatever reason seeing any Universal films on TCM seems very rare.

I think this is because Universal is connected with Starz/Encore. So many of the Universal horror films and westerns are on Starz and the Encore Channels. Also, Universal seems to lease some of its classic TV series to Hulu. Therefore, Universal has other deals and probably doesn't feel the need to partner with TCM. When TCM comes to them to lease something, of course, they will welcome the extra business.

As for Paramount, it controls its own library from 1950 forward, plus the entire Republic library. Republic had been bought by Aaron Spelling in the 80s, but when Spelling died, his estate sold his TV productions and the Republic library to Viacom, which was absorbed by Paramount. Paramount has done an excellent job restoring about 800 Republic films, making them available in digital formats for streaming (typically on Amazon and Amazon Prime).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, GodzillaDukeSefton17 said:

I would like to see the following:

William Holden

Lon Chaney Jr.

Neville Brand

Roland Young

Glenn Ford 

Nice list. Roland Young would make a good candidate for a 24-hour Summer Under the Stars tribute.

As you know, Glenn Ford is currently TCM's Star of the Month (July 2019).

I imagine we'll be getting the schedule info soon for January 2020...

The fact that she was a Backlot choice for Dec. is a good sign. Maybe not in Jan., but soon.

Just now, Hibi said:

The fact that she was a Backlot choice for Dec. is a good sign. Maybe not in Jan., but soon.

Unless they wait to give her a day in August.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I think they did that once (SUTS)

Are there any specific Joan Bennett films you'd like to see premiere on TCM?

The two with Cary Grant for starters. (Big Brown Eyes and Wedding Present).

• Like 1

I know that they've been featured previously, but I'd love to see either Ida Lupino or Ann Sheridan featured. I'd also welcome John Garfield.

• Like 1

Nobody as I disagree with the whole Star of the Month process.

I would also like a SOTM feature on Eve Arden or Edmond O'Brien.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Me too. Took me a while to remember this is the same thread renamed. For me, just play the movies. TCM won't do this. I still see no evidence of a FilmStruck replacement.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Why don't you like it?

42 minutes ago, TheCid said:

LOL!

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

The two with Cary Grant for starters. (Big Brown Eyes and Wedding Present).

Nice choices but two 30s Paramount films.  But hey,  I'll keep my fingers crossed until they turn blue!

• Haha 1

Yeah, I'm not holding my breath........