TopBilled

Who would you like to see honored as Star of the Month in January..?

115 posts in this topic

I'd like to see one of these people honored:

Tony Curtis
Joan Bennett
Edna May Oliver
Ricardo Montalban
Peter Lawford
Marion Davies
George Sanders
Mae Clarke
Robert Preston
Simone Simon

What about you..?

• Like 3

My most recent programming challenge entry suggested Glynis Johns. I think she would be a fine pick because she had a very long film career (from 1941 to 1999) appeared in many different types of films, always enlivened everything she was in, and had great range.

• Like 3

Based on the amount of requests I've read over the years, I would have to say Joan Bennett, George Sanders, Marlon Brando, Ricardo Montalban, Robert Preston, and Tony Curtis.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CinemaInternational said:

My most recent programming challenge entry suggested Glynis Johns. I think she would be a fine pick because she had a very long film career (from 1941 to 1999) appeared in many different types of films, always enlivened everything she was in, and had great range.

Good suggestion. And even in her earliest film appearances, she was doing excellent work. I don't think I've ever seen a poor performance from her. Some of the movies she made were sub-standard, but usually she would be the best thing in them. She managed to make them watchable by sheer virtue of her involvement in them.

• Like 1

On 6/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, LawrenceA said:

Based on the amount of requests I've read over the years, I would have to say Joan Bennett, George Sanders, Marlon Brando, Ricardo Montalban, Robert Preston, and Tony Curtis.

Yeah, I'm surprised Tony Curtis hasn't been honored yet, since he's a crowd pleaser and was in so many hit films. His career lasted several decades and there's a lot to choose from.

Screen Shot 2019-06-02 at 3.51.10 PM.jpeg

Another one who had a long career that deserves more recognition is Cliff Robertson. He earned an Oscar and seems to be unfairly overlooked.

I would like to see Betty Grable, Danny Kaye and John Mills honored.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

I would like to see Betty Grable, Danny Kaye and John Mills honored.

I've watched a lot of John Mills movies in the past several months, and my estimation of him has grown immeasurably. I second his nomination.

• Like 3

I would like to see the following:

Joan Blondell

Joan Bennett

Anne Baxter

Cliff Robertson

Danny Kaye

Don Ameche

Betty Grable

Gene Tierney

Tony Curtis

Ann-Margret

Eve Arden

Gloria Grahame

• Like 2

5 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Brando is getting a Summer Under the Stars day, so I would assume a SOTM is slot is completely out of the question this year. But good gosh, TCM, one of these years ...!

2 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Spencer Tracy...IF TCM can license the early Fox films that have been showing up recently on the festival circuit.

Tracy got a massive SOTM run in October, 2012. Guess this was before TCM decided the SOTM for October has to have worked largely in horror movies. As I recall, they showed 50 Tracy films. A tiny handful of them were from his Fox days.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yeah, I'm surprised Tony Curtis hasn't been honored yet, since he's a crowd pleaser and was in so many hit films. His career lasted several decades and there's a lot to choose from.

TCM shows the same handful of Curtis films over and over and over. The Sweet Smell of SuccessThe Defiant Ones and Some Like It Hot are on an endless loop. And after that ...? Once in a while, there's Sex and the Single GirlThe Great Race, Trapeze or Spartacus. And that's seriously just about it. They used to show Operation Petticoat a LOT, but according to MCOH's database, it hasn't aired in seven years.

There are all sorts of Curtis Universal pictures that I've never seen. I watched one called Forbidden from 1953 with Curtis and Joanne Dru on YouTube about a year ago. It's sort of a poor imitation of Gilda with an exotic setting, but it's good noirish fun improved by Curtis' performance. I'd love to see Eddie Mueller talk about it.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

TCM shows the same handful of Curtis films over and over and over. The Sweet Smell of SuccessThe Defiant Ones and Some Like It Hot are on an endless loop. And after that ...? Once in a while, there's Sex and the Single GirlThe Great Race, Trapeze or Spartacus. And that's seriously just about it. They used to show Operation Petticoat a LOT, but according to MCOH's database, it hasn't aired in seven years.

There are all sorts of Curtis Universal pictures that I've never seen. I watched one called Forbidden from 1953 with Curtis and Joanne Dru on YouTube about a year ago. It's sort of a poor imitation of Gilda with an exotic setting, but it's good noirish fun improved by Curtis' performance. I'd love to see Eddie Mueller talk about it.

I’d be interested in seeing Curtis’ turn as The Boston Strangler. 

• Like 3

That one has aired on TCM twice, and I saw it one of those times. It was pretty intense, as I recall. Worth watching, though maybe hard to watch multiple times!

If they repeat anyone, I'd prefer it be someone who hasn't been Star of the Month in a long time.

Robert Young and Ann Sheridan were last honored in 1996, and it was the only time they've been honored. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, garovick said:

Tony Curtis if they show his early universal movies.

This way we'd get to see more of Piper Laurie's film work too.

Screen Shot 2019-06-03 at 10.21.07 AM.jpg

• Like 1

I’d like to see Ann Sheridan as SOTM or Ida Lupino. Another person I’d like to see is Laraine Day. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I've watched a lot of John Mills movies in the past several months, and my estimation of him has grown immeasurably. I second his nomination.

Count me in, too. John Mills was in a remarkable run of films from In Which We Serve to Tunes of Glory and beyond.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, skimpole said:

Is there a convenient list of SOTMs?

Here:

• Thanks 2

Well if we've had Sean Connery, we can have Julie Andrews and Julie Christie.

• Like 1

Well, I hate to get my hopes up but . . . 

Joan Blondell

Eve Arden

Edna May Oliver

Joan Bennett

George Sanders

Roland Young 

Robert Preston 

Ann Sheridan (Repeater but it was a while ago)

Una Merkel

Charles Coburn

Lew Ayres

Robert Young (Another repeater but it was a while ago)

Paul Douglas (I know his filmography is short but heck, they've done Grace Kelly and she has even less films!)

• Like 2