Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Named after a character or named after a star

16 posts in this topic

I've been on a Tommy Roe kick lately, re-discovering all those wonderful bubble gum rock songs he recorded in the 60s and 70s.

One of them is called "Heather Honey" and in the comments section for this tune on YouTube, a bunch of women born around 1970 (and later) are saying they were named Heather because of this song.

My mother was named Cheryl (born in 1949) because my grandfather was a fan of Lana Turner, and Lana's daughter had that name.

My mom named me Jarrod because her favorite show (when I was born in 1971) was The Big Valley. And it sounded similar to my dad's name, Gerald...so I am named after Jarrod Barkley, played by Richard Long. As a kid I loved seeing my name spelled in the opening credits of the show...especially since the only other people I met with my name spelled it Jared. 

Anyone else around here named after a character or a star..?

48 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I use to have the hots for a Heather. Remember Heather Honey very well.

Here's the song:

• Thanks 1

My Mom was/is a huge classic movie fan: If my older brother was a girl he was going to be named Leslie Karen after Leslie Caron. I would have LOVED being named Leslie Karen, but a cousin had been named something similar in the meantime, so I was named for Susan Hayward.

Lots of movie fans name their pets movie star names like "Bogie", "Garbo" or "Gable". Since I don't care for people names for pets I went with generic "Bijou".

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

My Mom was/is a huge classic movie fan: If my older brother was a girl he was going to be named Leslie Karen after Leslie Caron. I would have LOVED being named Leslie Karen, but a cousin had been named something similar in the meantime, so I was named for Susan Hayward.

Lots of movie fans name their pets movie star names like "Bogie", "Garbo" or "Gable". Since I don't care for people names for pets I went with generic "Bijou".

I guess I should have asked about pets. Some posters might be reluctant to mention their own first names.

Some baby names are popular because of soap opera characters. In the late 80s and early 90s, Kayla became a popular girls name because of Mary Beth Evans' character on Days of Our Lives.

Yes, soap opera characters and baby names definitely have an effect. Amanda was an old-fashioned name when I was growing up, but after Rachel's baby on Another World was named Amanda, the name was back in fashion. My favorite cousin named her daughter Melissa, always called Missy, after the 1960s character of the same name on Another World, played by Carol Roux. There are many Missys in that age range.

One of my childhood friends was named Jennifer after Jennifer Jones. After Jennifer O'Neill and Summer of '42, Jennifer had a renewed surge of popularity and began one of the most popular baby names for girls for several years.

• Like 1

Well, my GRANDMOTHER did name my Mother(Gloria) as a nod to silent star( at the time, 1926) GLORIA SWANSON.  But my name origin has a bit of a story.....

My Mom, disappointed my older brother wasn't my sister, was hoping that I would finally fulfill her wish, but when this boy was born, she had no boy's name picked out just in case.  She used to tease me about it, always telling me that...

"All the nurses got together and put their favorite boy's name on a piece of paper and dropped them all into a BEDPAN and I picked it out of that!"  ;) 

Many years later she 'fessed up" and said the names on paper was true, but they were all put into a nurses cap.  :P

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2019 at 8:55 AM, TopBilled said:

I guess I should have asked about pets. Some posters might be reluctant to mention their own first names. ...

My wife and I have named our pets after show business figures or characters.  It's not so much that we meant the names as a tribute to those people, but that we just liked the names.  For example, the first two names below were suggested by (auto)biographies we had in our bookcase, which we noticed when we were trying to think of names for puppies.

We've had dogs named:

• Miles (after trumpeter Miles Davis)
  • Gracie (after comedienne Gracie Allen)
  • Parley (after character actor Parley Baer)
  • Asa (after a character on The Andy Griffith Show)
  • Megs (after British character actress Megs Jenkins)

Our parrot is named after main character Sheridan Whiteside in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, BingFan said:

My wife and I have named our pets after show business figures or characters.  It's not so much that we meant the names as a tribute to those people, but that we just liked the names.  For example, the first two names below were suggested by (auto)biographies we had in our bookcase, which we noticed when we were trying to think of names for puppies.

We've had dogs named:

• Parley (after character actor Parley Baer)
  • Asa (after a character on The Andy Griffith Show)
  • Megs (after British character actress Megs Jenkins)

Our parrot is named after main character Sheridan Whiteside in THE MAN WHO CAME TO DINNER.

I remember reading an article on actor Robert Mandan, which was published in TV Guide. This was in the mid-80s when he was featured on the John Ritter sitcom Three's a Crowd. He said he named his cat Chester, because of the role he had played previously on Soap.

We named our black & tan puppy Ashley, after Ashley Wilkes. It turned out  handy for whenever he had an accident on the carpet. I could do my Scarlet O'Hara impression and say, "Oh Ay-ashley."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But my name origin has a bit of a story.....

Gee, I hope you didn't arrive in the world a green brownish color.

18 hours ago, BingFan said:

We've had dogs named:

I've known a couple of black cats named Miles (after Davis) and several dogs named after Gracie Allen-animator John K's dog was named Gracie 20+ years ago.

I've also noticed popular dog names migrate to children, with Gracie, Gunner, Taylor more popular than ever for wee ones.

As a teacher, I can't imagine where parents come up with some of these crazy names: LaBraya, a beautiful girl named for a tar pit. My favorite is an adorable little girl named Ezmerelda-I keep waiting for her to fade & disappear!

191b7070-0a2f-4557-8b09-425b0741b55b.jpg

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

"All the nurses got together and put their favorite boy's name on a piece of paper and dropped them all into a BEDPAN and I picked it out of that!" 

So your first name is Bedpan? :P

I was named after my great-grandfather, but go by my middle name.  It's nice because nobody gets the name Ted wrong and it's reasonably traditional, but it's not very common.

After my Mom 'fessed up, I quipped that it was probably the reason I grew to have what we(in Jr. high) used to call a "potty mouth"!  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

My first name (Antonia) is named after my dad's side of the family (a lot of Anthony's/Tony's) but Carlotta, which was my middle name when I was born, is after the Laemmle side of my family! Carl, Carl Junior, Carolina, Carol, my Aunt Carla, and my grandmother Carlotta. And Carlotta was born the same year Universal's Phantom of the Opera came out, so it's likely the film's character was another inspiration for her name. 

• Like 2

In the mid 1980s, I had cat named Norman. He was a birthday kitty and I got to name him. Norman Thayer Jr. from On Golden Pond.

Not Norman Bates from Psycho II:D