sewhite2000

The Loss of 100 Years of Music History Secretly Covered Up 11 Years Ago, or Is the New York Times Full of ...?

24 posts in this topic

So, a story put out by New York Times Magazine says there was a systematic cover up of the utter destruction of the master tapes of some 500,000 songs owned by Universal Music Group in a fire in 2008. There's a vested interest in keeping such information quiet, as "remasters" are a big part of the music industry, and UMG certainly didn't want their consumers to know newly remastered material was being taken from secondhand sources:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/11/magazine/universal-fire-master-recordings.html

Fewer than 24 hours after this story, UMG fired back, saying NYT magazine is full of sh*t:

https://news.avclub.com/universal-music-group-disputes-new-york-times-claim-tha-1835423407

We report, you decide!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heartbreaking story.  Yup, I'd be inclined to believe the guy who moved a few hundred miles away and is now living in an RV, the guy who used to be in charge of it but is now working to help the underprivileged in the area.  Not that the shell corp at this point could only be trying to save face, no not a chance.

Remarkably similar to the the big film fires, where film was stored in inappropriate types of structures and bad locations.

I believe their story about how it happened.

I find it "fishy" though that this story was "resurrected" at this time by the NYT, perhaps as an attempt to shape public perception/opinion of the Notre Dame cathedral fire.  Another roof fire (the cathedral fire allegedly caused by workers in another building repair accident).  Never mind that the cathedral fire happened in the morning and the workers hadn't shown up to work yet that day.  Oh yeah, bad wiring.  Mmm-Hmm.  [hint: the power was temporarily disconnected and their work generators were not powered up] 

Yeah devastating roof fires like this can be expected with roof/superstructure repair, not out of the ordinary, all in a day's work.  There is a devastating roof fire happening somewhere at a structure near you.  Nothing to see here.

Just some initial thoughts anyway, though I sometimes like to be wrong and this would be one of those times.

This guy from the NYT obviously did a great writeup and I wouldn't pin the timing on him.  It sounds like they lost a bunch of alternate takes and interesting things by artists we have heard of, and entire works of artists we haven't heard of.  Entire catalogues gone forever.  So a huge loss.  Even though they probably would have allowed most of it to silently rot away anyhow, this was a sudden loss and no chance of recovery.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

I find it "fishy" though that this story was "resurrected" at this time by the NYT, perhaps as an attempt to shape public perception/opinion of the Notre Dame cathedral fire.  Another roof fire (the cathedral fire allegedly caused by workers in another building repair accident).  Never mind that the cathedral fire happened in the morning and the workers hadn't shown up to work yet that day.  Oh yeah, bad wiring.  Mmm-Hmm.  [hint: the power was temporarily disconnected and their work generators were not powered up] 

So, you suspect arson at Notre Dame?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

So, you suspect arson at Notre Dame?

I wouldn't count it out.

What's interesting to note is first responders and locals originally thought the same.  Then next thing you know, everyone on TV was insisting it wasn't arson, while it was still on fire.  Speedy investigation...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of a dumb conspiracy theory and the wingnuts will dig one up.

The Notre Dame fire occurred a little after 6 p.m. local time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Think of a dumb conspiracy theory and the wingnuts will dig one up.

The Notre Dame fire occurred a little after 6 p.m. local time.

That's off the top of my head.  I'll have to look into that one some more for myself.  But thanks for the kindly heads-up from the playground.

It was indeed confirmed though that the renovation crew hadn't been on site.

Also I forgot to mention above there was something about multiple fires being reported by early responders.

BTW that was Neil Cavuto from Fox News who shot down the early responder he was interviewing.  I have actually seen hard footage of that.  Very strange to see some establishment TV news guy in NY lecturing someone in France, on what will and won't be said on their network, when it happened.  Or is it...  That part is indisputable.  Media driving the narrative once again.  He should have shut up and let the guy speak.

It is hard for me to be anything but cynical, but again thanks for the kind thoughts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

BTW that was Neil Cavuto from Fox News who shot down the early responder he was interviewing.  I have actually seen hard footage of that.  Very strange to see some establishment TV news guy in NY lecturing someone in France, on what will and won't be said on their network, when it happened.  Or is it...  That part is indisputable.  Media driving the narrative once again.  He should have shut up and let the guy speak

I don't want to turn this into an Off-Topic forum, but Fox News is well known for shouting down all guests who don't agree with the viewpoints of the hosts. I always pity the poor token liberal who comes on for a panel discussion. Inevitably, the host and all the other guests will yell at this poor person so much that he or she will barely get to say a hundred words the entire segment, if that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I don't want to turn this into an Off-Topic forum, but Fox News is well known for shouting down all guests who don't agree with the viewpoints of the hosts. I always pity the poor token liberal who comes on for a panel discussion. Inevitably, the host and all the other guests will yell at this poor person so much that he or she will barely get to say a hundred words the entire segment, if that.

I don't watch them either.  I didn't get the impression it had anything to do with US politics, but rather an investigative matter and news coming out of a different country.  It does however reek of corporate policy.  Now if corporate policy = US politics, then we are all screwed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

if corporate policy = US politics, then we are all screwed.

Ah, Grasshopper, you have now reached true enlightenment.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

That's off the top of my head.  I'll have to look into that one some more for myself.  But thanks for the kindly heads-up from the playground.

It was indeed confirmed though that the renovation crew hadn't been on site.

Also I forgot to mention above there was something about multiple fires being reported by early responders.

BTW that was Neil Cavuto from Fox News who shot down the early responder he was interviewing.  I have actually seen hard footage of that.  Very strange to see some establishment TV news guy in NY lecturing someone in France, on what will and won't be said on their network, when it happened.  Or is it...  That part is indisputable.  Media driving the narrative once again.  He should have shut up and let the guy speak.

It is hard for me to be anything but cynical, but again thanks for the kind thoughts.

At least the playground knows the difference between morning and afternoon. And

there was one company doing work on the cathedral that day. So first it happened

in the morning before the workers arrived. Never mind, there were no workers

there that day. Oops. Multiple fires would in no way contradict an accidental start

to the fire. There is often much confusion at the beginning of these kinds of events

that can be sorted out later when more information is available. I don't know why folks

don't take that into account and wait a while to see what happened. As of now there is

no evidence that the ND fire was an act of arson. Did they ever find out who was really

responsible for the Las Vegas shootings? The media story was just too uncomplicated 

and dull to be true. No fun at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, slaytonf said:

We all have the good fortune at times to lurch into wisdom.

One of the majesties of the English language is that there is a big difference between a wise man and a wiseguy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do sometimes lurch into wisdom, though I prefer a more organicized approach.

A wise man can be a wiseguy and vice versa. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard the news story too, very sad no matter who's fault it may be.

Several important artifacts/buildings have been lost due to a spark blowing to a far portion of the roof and igniting later. All of a sudden, the building's on fire! Especially when "tarring" a roof, but even a discarded cigarette butt can be disaster in the right circumstances.

I know of a carousel that started a fire from a broken mirror in the upper panels. It caught the sunlight just right and started burning a wooden horse. Luckily, the carousel was opened & they spotted smoke! Could have been a disaster! Who would have thought about those odd conditions being just right to ignite a fire?

You can't be too careful, especially during renovations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/12/2019 at 10:12 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I believe it was Noam Chomsky who once said there are two political parties in America: the Big Business Party and the Other Big Business Party.

I've always contended that there were two political parties during the campaign period, but only ONE once it's all over....

First, while campaigning, there are the republican and democrat parties, and after the election there's only one---

POLITICIANS!  

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, slaytonf said:

For me, the wisdom I have has come by accident, and in many cases despite my efforts to attain it.

I think that's part of learning, something along the lines of the lessons that life teaches us along

the way, lessons we weren't really looking for but can learn by. Something separate from "book

learning."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both of those statements reminded me of what our High School principal said at my graduating class's commencement----

"All your schooling taught you what it might help you to know.  But LIFE will teach you all you NEED to know."  

Now, as to all this "lost" music history-----

Is it all music that had NO other recordings made of it that are still available, or what?  And WHAT music was among the losses?

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us