Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1979

7 posts in this topic

1979 opened on a chilly note (literally) with Paul Newman, Bibi Andersson, Vittorio Gassman, Fernando Rey, and Brigitte Fossey in a post-apocalyptic frozen tundra in Quintet, directed by Robert Altman.

MV5BY2E2YjM5YmEtMTU0Yy00NGU0LWI0YjQtMDQz

Sally Field scored an Oscar with Norma Rae, a stunning film,just a triumph. And the opening song always haunts me.....

MV5BYjk0NDRjMzctNjkwMS00ODYwLWFkZDEtYjFj

A Perfect Couple might have laid on the music a bit thickly (although the music was excellent) but this tale of a mismatched but ultimately ideal couple, directed by Robert Altman and starring Paul Dooley & Marta Heflin, was long on charm and sweetness.

MV5BYTYxZDMzNjAtNGExZi00ODZlLWJmYzctMDUy

Tim Matheson wanted to be a champion bowler in Dreamer.

Dreamer_(1979_film).jpg

Another summer, another game changer. Alien was one of the best horror films ever made and made a star out of Sigourney Weaver overnight.

MV5BMmQ2MmU3NzktZjAxOC00ZDZhLTk4YzEtMDMy

10 years on from a big hit came Butch and Sundance: The Early Years

Butch_and_Sundance-_The_Early_Days_FilmP

And Breaking Away is another personal favorite. Again, a film that is one of the best of its genre (teen films) , it perfectly captures the feel of growing up and rural midwest living. A joy.

MV5BNzg2NjA3N2YtMTNlNC00MDg5LWE4MWEtMzE4

Controversy bells rung with Luna, a tale of a far-too-close bond between a mother and son.....

MV5BZTc3ZGUzOWItMmQyMC00MWE3LTlkYWEtZjcz

Nosferatu the Vampyre was Werner Horzog's successful attempt to remake a horror classic, this time with Klaus Kinski and Isabelle Adjani.

MV5BNDYxYWY3ZTUtNzNiMi00ZmQyLTliMzAtNDdi

Avalanche Express was bound with troubles. Its director (Mark Robson) and one of its stars (Robert Shaw) died while it was still in production.

Avalancheexpress.jpg

The Rose ran hot and cold, but there is no denying how good Bette Midler and Frederick Forrest were in this film. Simply brilliant. Fine title song too.

MV5BZTk3Y2ZkMjAtMjFiMy00ZTU5LWFjOTEtYWY2

More controversy with the Runner Stumbles, a version of a notorious 20s murder case.

Runner_Stumbles_poster.jpg

Scavenger Hunt was a giant all-star comedy full of fortune hunters.

Scavenger_Hunt_movie_poster.jpg

And All That Jazz arrived, another Best Picture nominee, and a film that has been very influential since its release. (co-production with Columbia Pictures)

MV5BZWE4N2JkNDUtZDU4MC00ZjNhLTlkMjYtOTNk

• Like 4

Not a large number of movies, but a few that I really like a lot.

1. Alien
  2. All That Jazz
  3. Nosferatu the Vampyre
  4. A Perfect Couple
  5. Norma Rae

I've also seen Breaking AwayThe RoseScavenger Hunt, and Butch & Sundance: The Early Days.

Some great movies in this year. All That Jazz and Alien are two of my favorite films of all time. Both films have opening scenes that grab your attention and never let go. The opening credits alone in Alien prepare you to be scared for the next two hours. Breaking Away and Norma Rae are also excellent films.

We watched ALL THAT JAZZ in a USC film school course. I had to write something about it. I didn't care for it then and I don't care for it now. It's a very hyped up production, overdone in almost every single detail.

NORMA RAE is my favorite from this particular batch. 

I've never heard of DREAMER. Seems cheesy but perhaps is something that might be entertaining. LUNA certainly looks fascinating. 

My aunt and grandmother were fans of THE ROSE. It was something I watched with them. I was quite young, had no idea who Bette Midler was...thought she was playing herself on screen! It's a good film, and the song is a classic.

Before we head into the 80s, I wanted to tell CinemaInternational how much I appreciate his/her hard work on these threads. It takes a lot of time to go through the studio list of films and find the appropriate photos/posters.

Thanks!

giphy.gif

Oops, sorry. This guy works at RKO.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2019 at 4:06 PM, TopBilled said:

Before we head into the 80s, I wanted to tell CinemaInternational how much I appreciate his/her hard work on these threads. It takes a lot of time to go through the studio list of films and find the appropriate photos/posters.

Thanks!

giphy.gif

Oops, sorry. This guy works at RKO.

Thanks! It has been  a pleasure to work on this, and to hopefully dig up films that are in need of a second look. it has caused me to see some Fox films I had not seen before.The hardest thing of these projects has been to find good pictures for some films from the late 60s and the 70s, because I have tried to keep the photos as controversy-free as possible, and don't want them to be too wild, be it of gory images or suggestive ones. I try for a show appropriate for everyone. 

(PS, I'm a he, just for reference. I took a picture of myself last year and shared it in this thread. Aside from a few extra pounds now, I look about the same. 

• Like 1