Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1982

4 posts in this topic

1982 opened with a look at prehistoric living in Quest for Fire....

Quest_for_Fire_(movie_poster).jpg

Glynnis O'Connor played a woman dealing with illiteracy, a custody battle, and a new romance in Melanie.

Melanie-movie-poster-1982.jpg

Making Love was the tale of a man who came out of the closet, which came as quite a shock to his wife. Michael Ontkean, Harry Hamlin, and Kate Jackson starred as the central triangle, while Nancy Olson and Wendy Hiller were in the supporting cast.

Postermakinglove.jpg

Critics despised the Canadian teen raunch tale Porky's , but it didn't prevent the film from grossing over $100 million.

MV5BNDlhMzYxMjctMjBiYS00NTE5LTlkZjYtOGRi

Subversive comedy was on the menu with the potent Eating Raoul, perhaps the first big cult film of the 80s

MV5BYzU2YjQxNGItZDNjMy00MDgyLWEyMTUtZmQ5

Dinah Manoff wanted to get into Hollywood in I Ought to Be In Pictures, much to the consternation of father Walter Matthau

I_ought_to_be_in_pictures.jpg

Lee Grant and William Shatner went to Canada to make the horror film Visiting Hours

Visiting_hours.jpg

Al Pacino was caught between ex-wife Tuesday Weld, new romance Dyan Cannon, and children in the comedy Author! Author!

MV5BNWFmOTRjYTctMTFjYy00YTcxLWJhZWYtM2Jh

Megaforce was Fox's biggest headache of 1982.

Megaforceposter.jpg

Garry Marashall directed his first film with the comedy Young Doctors in love.

MV5BMTAxNjgzZTQtYzMxMC00ZDFjLTg4YWYtZGY2

Kenny Rogers took on several children (including Diane Lane and Anthony Michael Hall) in Six Pack

Six-pack-movie-poster-1982.jpg

The Pirate Movie was a youth take off with rock music on The Pirate of Penzance....

MV5BMmEzYmQ1YjgtNmMyZS00MTY2LWJlNmQtMjc0

Armand Assante was Mike Hammer in I the Jury....

ItheJury1982.jpg

Christopher Reeve transgressed many times as he used all the underhanded tricks in the world to climb up the religious ladder in Monseigneur

MV5BNjAyNjNjZDctMTc2MC00ODg4LTljZDMtNGUx

national Lampoon's Class Reuynion was a flop in both ways, but it did mark the first script credit for John Hughes who would leave a big impact on youth films in the very near future.

National_Lampoons_Class_Reunion_movie_po

Kirk Douglas went to Australia for the audience-pleasing western The Man from Snowy River

MV5BNGMxZTA5YTgtMzU1NS00YjNiLTkzMmQtNGEy

Curtains for another veteran. The Hot Touch, a Roger Vadim film,  was 1981 in Europe and co-starred Melvin Douglas who passed away that very year

MV5BZjlhZmY1MTUtMDk2NS00ZWM2LWE1NzAtNjdh

Paul Newman had one of his very best performances in the gripping courtroom saga, The Verdict, the big Fox critical hit of 1982. Excellent script and good supporting work from James Mason, Charlotte Rampling, Jack Warden, Milo O'Shea, Julie Bovasso, and Lindsay Crouse sealed the deal. Bruce Willis was an extra in the final courtroom scene.

MV5BMTU5MzMwMzAzM15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjYy

And Kiss Me Goodbye, was a witty comic fantasy. It wasn't profound or groundbreaking cinema, but it had charm and a fine cast Sally Field, Jeff Bridges, James Caan, Claire Trevor (her final film), Paul Dooley, and Mildred Natwick.

MV5BMmU3OGFiZmUtMTZlMi00OTI2LTg2MzItOTFl

• Like 3

Some good stuff from '82.

My Top 5:

1. MAKING LOVE...features Wendy Hiller in a supporting role.
2. MONSIGNOR...I think it's Christopher Reeve's best performance.
3. I OUGHT TO BE IN PICTURES...a good Neil Simon offering.
4. THE VERDICT...Newman's great in it.
5. KISS ME GOODBYE...Caan took a five year break from movies after this one.

• Thanks 1

I loved hearing that Melvin Douglas worked up until the year of his death. I don't know The Hot Touch and I'm not a huge Vadim fan, but I'll definitely watch if I get the opportunity. Douglas was luminous in Hud, nearly a decade earlier.

• Like 1