Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1984

8 posts in this topic

1984 began with a burlesque, The Secret Diary of Sigmund Freud with Bud Cort, Carol Kane, Carroll Baker, Dick Shawn, Klaus Kinski, and Marisa Berenson. Could only find a VHS cover.

MV5BMTQ1MjE1MzIzMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTc4

Careful, He Might Hear You was an Australian drama involving two sisters in a custody battle for their orphaned nephew.

MV5BMDFkNjQwZjUtMTNlZC00ZDZlLTk5ZGQtN2Nj

Another comedy remake in early 1984. Hot on the heels of To Be or Not to Be, Dudley Moore and Nastassja Kinski in a remake of Preston Sturges' Unfaithfully Yours.

MV5BMTBlNmM2NDEtNmZjMC00M2JhLWFlZTAtMTI3

Blame It on Rio was a sex comedy where Michael Caine fell for and had a relationship with his best friend's daughter. yeah. Also with Joseph Bologna, Demi Moore, and Valerie Harper. The last big screen effort for Stanley Donen.

MV5BYTcxOWNlNmEtZTA0ZC00MDkxLTgwYWEtN2Y2

Antarctica was a Japanese tale of dogs surviving at the South Pole against all odds. It was a massive hit in its home country, and an American version turned up over 20 years later (Eight Below from 2006). Score by Vangelis.

MV5BNWFiMTFmN2EtYWI2OS00NjJmLWFjNTYtZjU0

next up,. a true audience pleaser, the lively Romancing the Stone, a surprise hit in 1984, and rightfully so thanks to Kathleen Turner's fine work.

MV5BMDAwNjljMzEtMTc3Yy00NDg2LThjNDAtNjc0

The Stone Boy was very solemn for a mid 1980s film, but fgor those who did see it, it was profoundly moving. It told the tale of a farm family's reaction after an accidental firing of a rifle claimed the life of one of the sons, and the guilt by the young boy who thought he was responsible for it. It was a quiet film, but the cast could not be bettered, and the script was insightful.

MV5BMDk5YWJjNDktMmFkYy00Mzk0LTg3YmItOWU3

After that, it was back to cinematic cotton candy in Kidco aimed at young children.

MV5BODMzZjc2NjgtYjA4NC00ZGViLTkwOTAtODg2

Wil Wheaton proved a young Cupid in getting mother Susan Sarandon involved with Richard Dreyfus in The Buddy System, a comedy that costarred Nancy Allen and Jean Stapleton.

MV5BMjM4YWExMDQtOGJiZi00OTFjLThmYTEtMTE1

City met the country in Rhinestone, with Syvester Stallone and Dolly Parton (!).

Rhinestone_(movie_poster).jpg

Everyone was in for a randy night in Bachelor Party, an early lead for Tom Hanks.

MV5BMjk5NTk0MWUtZmQ5Ni00ZmM1LTkxZjQtYzlk

the Gods Must be Crazy was an African film from 1980. 4 years later, Fox opened it in the US, and it proved to be a sleeper hit.

MV5BMWE0MThhNGQtZmFmNS00NTliLWFiZDgtNmE1

Another popular teen film arrived with Revenge of the Nerds.

Revengeofthenerdsposter.jpg

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension was not a hit at the time, but has developed a strong cult following. It was an offbeat sci-fi tale with Peter Weller, John Lithgow, Jeff Goldblum, Christopher Lloyd, and Ellen Barkin.

Adventures_of_buckaroo_banzai.jpg

More sci-fi followed with Dennis Quaid investigating terrifying nightmares in Dreamscape, also with Kate Capshaw, Max Von Sydow, Christopher Plummer, and Eddie Albert.

Dreamscapeposter.jpg

Impulse was a variation on Invasion of the Body Snatchers that sounded absolutely bonkers. In the film toxic waste invaded a town's dairy supply and before too long, the town was awash with senseless murders, intimacy in public, pyromanics, and other sundry oddities.

MV5BNjQ0NGE3MmYtYjAxYi00ZmQyLWEwZjgtODY2

Paul McCartney turned to film in Give My Regards to Broad Street.

Give_My_Regards_to_Broad_Street_(poster)

Then a masterpiece. Paris, Texas was long, intimate, but hypnotic, a vastly moving and touching film with career best work from Harry Dean Stanton and Nastassja Kinski. This was a real movie, deep and honest.

MV5BM2RjMmU3ZWItYzBlMy00ZmJkLWE5YzgtNTVk

Teenagers invaded twice in a row, first in Gimme an F

MV5BOWI2NmQxMTItNWVjMS00Yzg0LWE4NTAtYmQ2

And then in The Flamingo Kid, which was the first movie to be rated PG-13.

MV5BMGY5NjYyYmItYmJhYS00OGNhLWJlM2MtMjgw

The year then closed with Johnny Dangerously, another destined to become a cult hit, a spoof on 30s mob films.

Johnny_Dangerously_movie_poster.jpg

• Like 4

The only one I've seen is ROMANCING THE STONE, which I quite enjoyed.

THE STONE BOY looks like my kind of film. 

• Thanks 1

I have no memory of The Secret Diary of Sigmund Freud but it's a really intriguing cast. I adore Carol Kane, but teaming her with another quirky actor like Bud Cort may have been too much. I'd still like to see it though.

Paris, Texas, with a script by Sam Shepard and music by the great Ry Cooder, gets my vote for the best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My two favorites were Paris, Texas and Bachelor Party. Bachelor Party was a riot!

• Like 1

Can anyone fill us in on Give My Regards to Broad Street? Paul McCartney and his wife? Ringo Starr and his wife? What the hell was going on there?

My top choices:

1. Romancing the Stone*
  2. Dreamscape*
  3. Paris, Texas
  4. The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai*
  5. Johnny Dangerously*
  6. Revenge of the Nerds*

I've also seen Blame It On RioThe Stone BoyKidcoRhinestone*, Bachelor Party*The Gods Must Be CrazyImpulseGive My Regards to Broad Street, and The Flamingo Kid.

I saw all marked with a * in the theater. Yes, I saw Rhinestone in a theater!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I absolutely love The Gods Must Be Crazy, but I haven't seen in quite a while and I wish I could see it again. Jamie Uys also directed Dirkie, another favorte of mine.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2019 at 8:41 AM, DougieB said:

Can anyone fill us in on Give My Regards to Broad Street? Paul McCartney and his wife? Ringo Starr and his wife? What the hell was going on there?

Buy the album, forget the film.