Sign in to follow this  
sineast

"Yes we can can!" said Little Nicola.

3,939 posts in this topic

Nothing from nothing is nothing. Billy Preston.

I wish I had gotten to see the Clash live, even if it was after all the uproar.

Compared to a lot of groups, they didn't stay around too long after their prime.

That tagline "the only band that matters" was over the top, and it probably

applied as much to their politics as to their music. And thirty years later,

it really sounds dumb. But yes, they were a terrific group.

I've posted a few Hank Snow videos, but it's always good to see another one.

Things did get rather dark in that video, and the spangles usually look better

in color anyway. It's always funny how basic the old TV shows look.

mfgckskg. Sounds good to me, at least the parts I can take a guess at. This is

the ultimate in esoterica, known not to a few, but to just one.

From the wayback machine. Ricky was a couple notches above most of

the other teen idols, and more successful too. Of course he did have the

advantage of Pa and Ma's TV show. Ricky Nelson and the Flannelteers

with Hello Mary Lou. (Hey, what did they do with Mr. Ed?).

Didn't Ricky Nelson and Dean Martin sing some kind of duet in Rio Bravo? I think it's only in some prints, though - edited out of others. I believe I've seen both versions, but I can't remember the song. It was kind of good, though, I remember that.

Redriver--I've must have been jipped because the Woolworth where I bought--(Hot town) "Summer in the City" charged me $.90 for the 45. What I loved most about that song was the city noise-- drilling and horns honking that John Sebastian used.

Purple eyes in the canyon.

That's where I long to be.

With my sweet good companion.

Just my rifle, my pony and me.

That was mostly Dean, with Ricky on harmony. Rick's number was "Get Along Home, Cindy," accompanied by Dean and Mr. Brennan. The "Purple Eyes" melody was also the theme for RED RIVER.

I've never seen a print that didn't include the famous "Singing In the Jail" scene. Not even on commercial TV. It's an awkward break. Clearly, a selling point to fans of the singers. It slows down an already too long movie. But there it is, and there it should stay. I'll take my classic movies as released, thank you.

Thanks, red, I couldn't remember the name of the song. Maybe I just imagined that the singing scene was cut from a print of *Rio Bravo* that I saw, I've seen the film so many times ( including in a film class when we were doing a segment on Westerns) it's possible I mixed something up or heaven forbid fell asleep at some point.

"Oh sweet nothing...she ain't got nothin' at all." Lou Reed

Oh, wait a minute, I already posted that song a few weeks ago. I think. This place is all a blur to me sometimes.

k d lang, like Hank Snow, is a country singer. Well, an alt-country singer. Or maybe just someone who sings well - labels always get in the way, anyway. Perhaps she should be filed under the "cross-dressing" label (although that fortunately is not a music genre) , as most of the time she looks and dresses more like a man than a woman ( if we're speaking in traditional terms.)

In any case, here is the country-singing, cross-dressing, gendre-bending k d lang with Miss Chatelaine. However you want to categorize her, she has a fantastic voice.

ps- I have to say that whatever label you care to apply to her music, she is a far cry from Hank Snow. I'm not sure people would regard Miss Chatelaine as "country", although that is the genre where k d began.

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 27, 2011 10:02 AM

I thought the Flannelteers might be a possible name for the backup band,

or maybe the Flannel County Boys, something along those lines.

Maybe she could record an album k d Sings Hank Snow. In all the clips I've

seen of Hank, it looks like he colors his hair with shoe polish, or maybe it's

a rug. I've never been very good at spotting those.

They always cut the scene in Rio Bravo where a very young Jimi Hendrix

enters, plays a few licks of Purple Haze, throws his guitar into the wood stove

and exits. Uncut my rear.

The scene does have an "inserted" look to it. It comes from out of nowhere. There may well be prints that don't have it. In fact, I'm only assuming it was released that way because that's the way I've always see it.

As Charles Barkley said, "I may be wrong. But I doubt it!"

I like Hank Snow, but I'm not familiar with the song you cited as his most famous. I know "I've Been Everywhere," "Golden Rocket," "Hello, Love." "I'm Moving On" just never made it into my world.

Hank did the best, maybe first, rendition of the classic "Now and Then, There's a Fool Such As I." To this day, one of my favorite tunes.

C. Bogle--

Ricky Nelson was a great rock/country artist. Before he died--all the Yellow Sun Original artists made a recording with him--as an equal.

I don't know if I'm going to invite you to my next garden party.

Edited by: cujas on Jul 27, 2011 7:01 PM

What would you do if you had a million dollars? Cliche question, and with inflation and all perhaps we should re-adjust the question to a billion dollars. I'm tempted to make a joke about how the U.S. Treasury could use a zillion dollars right about now, but I"ll leave it.

Maybe the Barenaked Ladies have the answer. This is somebody's home-made video, something I usually try to stay away from, but the youtube videos for the original of this song were lean pickings, so I settled .

If I Had a Million Dollars: by The Barenaked Ladies:

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 28, 2011 9:44 AM

I don't know if I'd call Ricky great, but he eventually would have achieved success even without the nepotism, and he was much better than many of the other teen idols.......He didn't do any song writing that I know of. I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

Edited by: finance on Jul 28, 2011 9:36 AM

I like Ricky's songs, but I'm more of a casual fan. Back in the day I think he was

classified as a teen idol, however much he rose above the genre. And artistic

reputations do change over time. Of course it's your garden party and if you can't

please everyone, you've got to please yourself. :D

Gene Pitney co-wrote Hello Mary Lou with another person, but not Ricky.

Kind of a whimsical, upbeat tune. That's not bad for an amateur video, there

are some really ghastly ones out there.

Fi--Ricky wrote "Garden Party", it was an autobiographical account of an appearance at the Madison Sq Gardens.

I like the Jam, but they always remind me of a shameful incident in my younger days. I borrowed one of their records ( records ! vinyl ! ) from my friend's boyfriend, and then just kept it and sort of forgot about it and never returned it. My friend and her boyfriend broke up, the boyfriend moved to another city...About three years later he called me out of the blue to retrieve his Jam record. Fortunately I still had it and I did return it to him. But I'm a little embarrassed to this day to think how cavalier I was about this guy's record, and how he had to look up my new address etc. just to get it back.

No...now that I think about it, it was a Style Council record, I was interested in them because of their connection to the Jam (Paul Weller).

Ah yes, I'm just a treasure trove of fascinating anecdotes.