Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 1994

5 posts in this topic

This isn't good either......

Sugar Hill dealt with gritty urban living and such things as drug cartels. Wesley Snipes starred in the film that decried what it saw.

Sugar_hill_1994_movie_poster.jpg

Charlie Sheen and Kristy Swanson in The Chase, a throwback to all those car films in the 70s.

Thechaseposter.jpg

Madeleine Stowe, Andie McDowell, Mary Stuart Masterson, and Drew Barrymore were female outlaws in Bad Girls.

Bad_girls.jpg

PCU stood for Politically Correct University and the party animals tried to see to it that that was not the case. Audiences didn't care.

PCUposter.jpg

Things perked up with Speed, an exemplary 90s thriller with taut pacing and good work from Keanu Reeves, Sandra Bullock, Dennis Hopper, and Jeff Daniels.

Speed_movie_poster.jpg

A baby was up to Home Alone-like shenanigans in Baby's Day Out.

Babys_day_out_poster.jpg

True Lies was one of the earlier $100 million budgeted films, and was a sizable hit for the Arnold and Jaime Lee Curtis. Charlton Heston cameoed. It debuted Fox's first CGI logo.

True_Lies_poster.png

Airheads was a comedy about 3 of those: Adam Sandler, Brendan Fraser, and Steve Buscemi.

Airheads_film_poster.jpg

Street Fighter II was handled by Fox only overseas.

Street_Fighter_II_The_Animated_Movie_(Ja

Albert Brooks was The Scout who only had a hothead played by Brendan Fraser as an opportunity.

The_scout_movie_poster_(1994).jpg

Well, they remade Miracle on 34th Street. Not the best, but far better than it could have been thanks to Richard Attenbourough and Mara Wilson.

Miracle_on_34th_Street_poster.jpg

Macauley Culkin misfired again with The Pagemaster, a dire film for kids.

Pagemasterthe.jpg

Trapped in Paradise had Nicolas Cage, Jon Lovitz, and Dana Carvey as three criminals hoping to rob a bank.

Trapped_in_paradise_poster.jpg

1994 closed with a quality film, Nell, with Jodie Foster doing strong work and supported by Liam Neeson and Natasha Richardson as scientists. It had heart.

Nell_(1994_film_poster).jpg

• Like 3

Two very enjoyable action movies this year: Speed and True Lies. We went to the movies one evening and the line for True Lies was so long we ended up seeing The Lion King; we didn't find out the bridge was out until days later.

SPEED was DIE HARD on a bus. High concept. But fun. I think Dennis Hopper is the best thing in it. 

TRUE LIES is a favorite, especially if you're a fan of oxymorons. It's kind of nice to see Schwarzenegger and Cameron do something with more comedy in it. Jamie Lee Curtis slotted in perfectly.

THE PAGEMASTER was pants. I did like the remake of MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, though the original is better. I suspect they remade it because kids often don't like black and white films. Richard Attenborough was a fine choice to play Kris Kringle.

I'm a fan of BABY'S DAY OUT. I do like high concept comedies, and this one as improbable as it may be, is actually a lot of fun.

NELL was a bit too somber in spots for my liking, though I certainly appreciated the acting in it.

THE CHASE reminds us why Charlie Sheen was a movie star. He was just so darn good looking.

It's astonishing how many movies I haven't seen. These retrospectives are killing me. Or maybe it's not so astonishing not having seen, but just astonishing to realize it. I must be awfully busy in my life to have missed all these movies.

My top picks:

None. :( 

I've seen Sugar HillThe ChaseBad GirlsSpeedBaby's Day OutTrue LiesAirheadsThe ScoutTrapped in Paradise, and Nell.

• Thanks 1