Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

A 20th Century Fox Retrospective Scrapbook: 2003

7 posts in this topic

2003 opened with Just Married, a comedy of errors involving a young couple who ran into all sorts of misadventures.

MV5BMTMwNzE5NzgzOV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDIy

Daredevil was a superhero film with Ben Affleck and Jennifer Garner.

MV5BMjExNDA5NjMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDA3

Bend it Like Beckham was a charmer from England, a sunny sports comedy involving female soccer players and best friends Parminder Nagra and Keira Knightley, their mutual crush on coach Jonathan Rhys Meyers, and their offbeat families. 

Bend_It_Like_Beckham_movie.jpg

L'Auberge Espagnole was a Spanish-French coproduction.

Aubergeespagnole.jpg

Director Neil Jordan returned with Nick Nolte in The Good Thief, a remake of Bob Le Flambeur.

The_Good_Thief_(film).jpg

phone Booth was a claustrophobic thriller involving a man trapped in just that while being menaced by the voice of a psychopath. Colin Farrell was the man in trouble, Keifer Sutherland voiced the psycho.

Phone_Booth_movie.jpg

Chasing Papi was a comedy involving three angry women all hoping to settle some score when they found out that the same boyfriend was dating all of them at the same time.

MV5BNjQ3NTY1MzA0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODYz

John Malkovich directed Javier Bardem in The Dancer Upstairs, a South-American set thriller.

MV5BNDYyMzEwMjM0Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjk1

The X-Men were back again in X2, more successful than the first one.

X2_poster.jpg

Now it was time for a comedy with appeal for classic film fans. Down with Love, was, almost naturally, more provocative and explicit than the films it was being a spoof and homage to, the Doris Day-Rock Hudson comedies of the late 50s-early 60s. But its to the filmakers' credits that it was just about as charming with two perfect leads, Renee Zelweger and Ewan McGregor, fine support from David Hyde Pierce and Sarah Paulson, and good cameos for Florence Stanley and Tony Randall (both of whom made their final appearances here) Capped with an appropriate 60s gloss and some delicious visual flourishes, it was a joy.

MV5BYjY0OTMyNmMtODEwZS00ZWJiLWI0ZjctNmNi

But joy is not the emotion found in the slasher film Wrong Turn. Terror is the one there.

MV5BMTU0MTU2ODgyNl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNjg0

From Justin to Kelly was at attempt to star two American Idol players in a Frankie and Annette style beach film.

From-justin-to-kelly.jpg

London was overrun by zombies in 28 Days Later, which spawned a sequel.

28_days_later.jpg

Sean Connery made his last live-action appearance to date in the action film The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

The_league_of_Extraordinary_Gentlemen_mo

Garage Days was an Australian film about a struggling amateur rock band.

Garage_Days_poster.jpg

Lucia Lucia was a thriller involving a woman who found that her husband had been kidnapped.

Lucialucia.PNG

Le Divorce was a brittle comedy of manners from the Merchant Ivory team, a tale of divorce, infidelity, and strained family ties, with Naomi Watts, Kate Hudson, Leslie Caron, Glenn Close, Sam Waterston, Matthew Modine, Bebe Neuwirth, Stephen Fry, and Stockard Channing.

LeDivorce.jpg

Thirteen was every mother's worst nightmare, a film where Holly Hunter, Oscar nominated here, found that 13-year-old daughter Evan Rachel Wood fell under a very bad peer influence.

Thirteen2003Poster.jpg

The Order was a horror film involving the supernatural.

TheOrderPoster.jpg

of which the same can be said for Hangman's Curse, only this one wasn't big budget.

Hangman's_Curse_FilmPoster.jpeg

John Cusack was top-billed in the John Grisham adaptation Runaway Jury, but most attention at the time was focused on the two main supports, Dustin Hoffman and Gene Hackman. Rachel Weisz, Bruce Davison, and Jennifer Beals were also featured.

Runaway_jury.jpg

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (done with Miramax, Universal, and the Samuel Goldwyn Company) was a major critical hit, a seafaring film with Russell Crowe and directed by Peter Weir. It was a Best Picture nominee.

Master_and_Commander-The_Far_Side_of_the

In America was one of the most deeply affecting films of the decade. The story of a poor Irish family (Paddy Considine, Samantha Morton, and sisters Sarah and Emma Bolger) trying to start anew in New York and their fateful friendship with a man dying from a bad blood transfusion (Djimon Hounsou), the film was a soaring emotional triumph. The cast could not be bettered in any way, and the film never stepped a foot wrong in its moving journey. (well I do have one quibble, but its so tiny it doesn't matter)

MV5BOGY1YmUzN2MtNDQ3NC00Nzc4LWI5M2EtYzUw

Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear were Siamese twins in Stuck on You, a comedy co-starring Cher.

Stuck_on_you_ver2.jpg

The year closed with Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt in Cheaper by the Dozen, which despite the title and the number of children was no relation to the 1950 film.

Cheaper_by_the_Dozen_2003_film_poster.jp

• Like 2

I haven't seen any of these. But I have heard of a few.

LE DIVORCE seems like the one I'd probably watch first, since I enjoy many of Merchant-Ivory's other films and this one has an extraordinary cast. 

PHONE BOOTH looks silly but fun. 

I'm sure CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN is fun too...but no way could it be as good as the original, which was perfect in almost every detail.

I know I'm setting myself up, but I really enjoyed Down With Love, the Rock and Doris homage/knockoff. Its overall air of whimsy (such as the cloud of cigarette smoke when an elevator door opened) caught the right ironic tone for a look at those entertaining but essentially dumb-*** movies. David Hyde Pierce was the absolute perfect modern equivalent for Tony Randall and Sarah Paulson was a great sidekick for Renee Zellwegger. It took me a moment to warm up to Ewen McGregor as the would-be pillar of testosterone, but as I said the overall tone made the movie work (for me).

Further out on a limb, I'm going to confess to several viewings of From Justin to Kelly. It's part of a great tradition of useless but engaging "youth" musicals and features some energetic numbers in which nobody really disgraces themselves, which is about all you can ask of this kind of thing. I never got Justin, but Kelly is going stronger than ever these days and has matured into one of the vocal dynamos of our age. There are some good supporting players, especially Anika Noni Rose, mostly known for exceptional work in musical theater (and the movie Dreamgirls). If it's not for you, you already know it, but if you're curious you might enjoy it.

Master and Commander was the kind of movie which made me wish my Dad were still alive, because I know how much he would have liked it. A great classic tale of the sea.

• Like 2

L'auberge espagnole is one of my favorite films.  Romain Duris  and kelly Ruilly were really excellent together. It's very engaging and funny.

I also saw Le Divorce-mainly because it was a Merchant-Ivory film.  It was not up to par with some of their greater films ( A Room with a View and Howard's End), but I enjoyed it.

I also saw Javier Barden in the Dancer Upstairs. Not bad at all.

The only other film I saw was Down with Love on an airplane flight.  I had a hard time keeping awake.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, don96 said:

L'auberge espagnole is one of my favorite films.  Romain Duris  and kelly Ruilly were really excellent together. It's very engaging and funny.

I also saw Le Divorce-mainly because it was a Merchant-Ivory film.  It was not up to par with some of their greater films ( A Room with a View and Howard's End), but I enjoyed it.

I also saw Javier Barden in the Dancer Upstairs. Not bad at all.

The only other film I saw was Down with Love on an airplane flight.  I had a hard time keeping awake.

Must have been that airplane food making you drowsy. :) 

• Like 1

In America is easily the best film this year for me. The performances are first rate.

I am not a fan of zombie movies in general, but 28 Days Later was genuinely disturbing and scary.

There were moments when I thought 13 was a horror movie for parents. Good movie with fine performances by the leads.

A good year for Fox. My top picks:

1. 28 Days Later
  2. X2
  3. In America
  4. Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World
  5. Bend It Like Beckham
  6. Wrong Turn
  7. Thirteen

I've also seen DaredevilL'auberge espagnoleThe Good ThiefPhone BoothChasing PapiDown with LoveThe League of Extraordinary GentlemenThe OrderThe Runaway Jury, and Stuck on You.

• Thanks 1