22 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

Faye Dunaway

Faye Dunaway

Faye Dunaway

Network

Mommie Dearest

Chinatown

Bonnie and Clyde (1967 Debut )

I forgot such actresses like Liv Ullman, Valerie Perrine, Susan Sarandon, Veronica Cartwright, Bo Derek, Julie Andrews, Jenny Agutter, Linda Blair, Tatum O'Neal, Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields, Marguex Hemingway, Audrey Hepburn, Pam Grier, Diahann Carroll, Trish Van Devere, Sally Kellerman, Olivia Newton-John, Lily Tomlin, Jane Alexander and so many more.

17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Okay, I'm gonna go off the reservation here and say mine would probably be Catherine Deneuve here...

9c18bbdc31cbaa77a27194297cb27e4d.jpg

(...okay sure, could never really understand very much of what she was sayin' in her movies, but HEY, who CARES?!!!)

;)

You never told me you liked French girls  LOL

Vive La difference!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

So this is really a Madeline Kahn appreciation thread. :) 

No it's not a Madeline Kahn thread, lol.  But she rarely got bigger parts in the 80's and 90's but always stole she show.  But she did star in some of the best comedy films of the 70's.  

2 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Britt Ekland

MV5BNGQ2MDIxN2ItNDMzMS00YzEzLWIzMzItMzdj

I had her on my list originally but I think of Britt as more a 60s actress. Also had Stella Stevens but the same deal, more 60s than 70s.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Not sure why you had to be the first one to come along and make a negative comment in this thread and use my earlier post to do it. 

What did Sepiatone say that was bad? He didn't care much for Karen. Sheesh!

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Correct.   AND,  I was actually the first one to say something negative when I pointed out that many of the actresses on this list of 70s actresses are actually 60s actresses.    I.e.  made their first film in the early 60s and went on to make 10 or more films in the 60s.

But hey,  it doesn't matter since this (listing our favorites), is all just for fun.

PS:  As for Karen Black:  I'm with Sepia on that one.   I just never could make an emotional connection with her.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Isabelle Adjani - The Story of Adele H.The TenantThe Driver, and Nosferatu the Vampyre were all in the '70s.

5deebcdd7e24ab9c67ce73b24010003f.jpg

Meiko Kaji - Lady Snowblood, the Stray Cat series, the Female Prisoner Scorpion series, and Yakuza Graveyard.

MV5BMjIxMTM0MjAzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODI4

• Like 2

I was just watching Nosferatu again, a few nights ago. She was great in that film.

nosferatu-1979-620x351.jpg

"JONAZZZTAAAAN!!!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I didn't care for Sepiatone's quoting me to complain about Karen Black. I found it totally unnecessary. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Correct.   AND,  I was actually the first one to say something negative when I pointed out that many of the actresses on this list of 70s actresses are actually 60s actresses.    I.e.  made their first film in the early 60s and went on to make 10 or more films in the 60s.

But hey,  it doesn't matter since this (listing our favorites), is all just for fun.

PS:  As for Karen Black:  I'm with Sepia on that one.   I just never could make an emotional connection with her.   

I didn't see your comment as negative. I saw your comment as trying to clarify the parameters of the topic.

The thread is about favorite actresses. Not unfavorite actresses. That's how I am reading it and replying to the topic.

On 6/27/2019 at 7:52 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Nice list,  but Jane Fonda made her first film in 1960 and in the 60s was 17 films.    Similar with Ann-Margret;  first film in 1961 and also 17 films in the 60s.

Ann Bancroft made 15 films in the 50s.    

Anyhow,  from the list above of actress that started their career in the 70s I would select Diane Keaton.

I know some of these actresses made films in other eras, including the 30's, 40's and 50's and 60's but they still starred in some memorable film of the 70's.  Bette Davis, Joan Blondell, Elizabeth Taylor, Katharine Hepburn, Ruth Gordon, Helen Hayes, Maureen Stapleton, Janet Leigh, Shelly Winters, Lee Remick, Debbie Reynolds, Joan Bennett, Barbara Harris, Janet Margolin, Carol Lynley, Myrna Loy, Sylvia Sidney, Lee Grant, Elsa Lanchester, Mildred Natwick and so many more.  

10 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I didn't care for Sepiatone's quoting me to complain about Karen Black. I found it totally unnecessary. 

It was only a way to reference the lady, and no derogation to you, and really (and obviously) shouldn't be seen as a personal comment about you.  I don't believe anyone else saw it hat way either.  ;)  But I will apologize for any offense it may have inadvertently  caused.

As for Darg liking French girls....  

That might depend on how the term "French" was intended.....

As the woman's national origin, or....

Her specialty;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The thread is about favorite actresses. Not unfavorite actresses

Threads have a life of their own. I started a thread about the Universal backlot fire that destroyed a hundred years' worth of master music recordings. It's still around, but for two or three pages now that thread has been hijacked by people who decided they wanted to talk about their home audio equipment, and what ways they manipulate it for optimum sound quality, and it's become very techie and has nothing at all to do with my original intent anymore. I'm not going on there and telling everyone no, no, no, that's not what the thread is about! I'm just living with it.

3 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Threads have a life of their own. I started a thread about the Universal backlot fire that destroyed a hundred years' worth of master music recordings. It's still around, but for two or three pages now that thread has been hijacked by people who decided they wanted to talk about their home audio equipment, and what ways they manipulate it for optimum sound quality, and it's become very techie and has nothing at all to do with my original intent anymore. I'm not going on there and telling everyone no, no, no, that's not what the thread is about! I'm just living with it.

Yes, that does happen. But as the originator of the thread, I don't think it would be out of line for you to gently nudge everyone back on topic. If they are unwilling to cooperate, then you do have the option of re-titling the thread to what their (hijacked) topic is and starting a fresh new thread about the topic you wanted to discuss.

Sometimes I will tolerate off-topic humor, because people are still engaged and because it keeps the thread lively and active. But when things start going in an inappropriate direction, then the moderator must get involved.

There is also this balance of being too critical and causing people to stay away from the threads you create entirely! But I don't think it's horrible to nudge people back on topic. Otherwise the threads all blend into one another and there's no point labeling or categorizing the threads if there's a huge sameness to them. The thread topic tells a visitor to the forums what is being discussed in that area, not what isn't being discussed. My thoughts.

Now to get this back on topic, I would say that Karen Black is who I most associate with the 70s (for the women) and James Caan who is most associate with the 70s (for the men). But I have other favorites. Like I do think Candice Bergen's films in the 70s were quite interesting, especially SOLDIER BLUE and BITE THE BULLET. And another favorite of mine from that decade is Margot Kidder. Of course, Bergen and Kidder would have bigger successes in the 80s.

A couple of people that have grown on me were frequently in TV movies in the 1970's, even though they got their big-screen debuts in the 60's and those were Joanna Petit and Joan Hackett.  I thought both were good in the "The Group" when it aired on TCM a few weeks ago.  Particularly Hackett...there's just something about her voice.  It can be soothing and re-assuring when she delivers lines, and with the same tone she can be sinister and disturbing!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, midwestan said:

A couple of people that have grown on me were frequently in TV movies in the 1970's, even though they got their big-screen debuts in the 60's and those were Joanna Petit and Joan Hackett.  I thought both were good in the "The Group" when it aired on TCM a few weeks ago.  Particularly Hackett...there's just something about her voice.  It can be soothing and re-assuring when she delivers lines, and with the same tone she can be sinister and disturbing!

I agree about those two actresses and their performances in The Group. I first noticed Joan Hackett in an old TV series of the 1950's, The Defenders. She made an occasional appearance as Robert Reid's girl friend in that series.

• Thanks 1

Gee, those of us who hijacked sewhite2000's thread were simply expanding on the concept of master recordings. I do see an acceptable connection. One of my posts related to a 45 RPM single being used by Time-Life as the source material for a Christmas CD.

As for the Karen Black comments, I've already been deleted by the Mods. I don't think one should apologize, but not the other. Anyone with such a high volume of posts should plan on comments coming back.

I love Helen Hays in Airport. Back in 2003, I flew from San Francisco to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Return flight obviously. We traded planes in Minneapolis/St.Paul, the airport used in Airport.

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I didn't see your comment as negative. I saw your comment as trying to clarify the parameters of the topic.

The thread is about favorite actresses. Not unfavorite actresses. That's how I am reading it and replying to the topic.

There is a fine line between being critical and basically  fawning over the stars. Without a little constructive criticism, no discussion is ever fostered. And it becomes a contest of who can copy and paste photos.

I find this often on other boards I frequent. One is a music board. And all posters do is link to songs on YouTube. No discussion or explanation of why a song is good or why they like it. And it goes no where.

I personally welcome the positive and the negative comments. And people debate their own sides of the topic. As long as its done in a classy way, I think its healthy and I can end up learning more about the star.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

And it becomes a contest of who can copy and paste photos.

I'm guilty of posting pics.... I guess I should have added my peter meter for each to add to the discussion. :D

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I'm guilty of posting pics.... I guess I should have added my peter meter for each to add to the discussion. :D

I post as many pics as anyone. But, at least you have a very clear opinion. That's all I ask for. There is no actors that everyone loves. And if there were, that would make things very boring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I flew from San Francisco to Grand Rapids, Michigan. Return flight obviously. We traded planes in Minneapolis/St.Paul, the airport used in Airport.

To sidetrack( and diffuse a bit more) as a Michigander, I could feign sympathy for you in having to go to Grand Rapids.  :D  ;)  But really a nice place.  I had family there (until they all died off  :( )  And actually there's a thoroughfare called GRAND RIVER which at one end( or beginning, depending....) is Downtown Detroit, and it snakes it's way from there through several counties(it's not a straight line road) all the way to Grand Rapids.  Long before the freeway system was put in, it was how my Grandmother used to get there to visit family.  

Sepiatone

On 6/27/2019 at 11:58 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Seems like a good place to list the Oscar-winning females of the '70s! Glenda Jackson, barely remembered today, was an Academy darling, taking home Best Actress twice.

Barely remembered? She is a great stage actress, returning after a 23-year career as a Member of Parliament to play King Lear in London and on Broadway, and win a Tony last year for Three Tall Women. She is also remembered for her portrayal of Queen Elizabeth I in the BBC/Masterpiece Theatre series Elizabeth R.

I like Karen Black very much, particularly her performance in The Day of the Locust (1975), where she was the image on the poster. And though she was beautiful, I was never much of a fan of Julie Christie.

e976fc9b-bc0e-4a0e-8703-523b99a368f5_1.4