Sign in to follow this  
NipkowDisc

nipkowdisc review of audie murphy's Ride Clear of Diablo (1953)

5 posts in this topic

has alotta good reviews on IMDb but I'm sorry I think it stunk. murphy is good but everyone seems unimpressed by his youthful age for some reason. movie starts off with the local crooked lawyer who looks like Ray Danton rustling the de mara family cattle. both audie's dad and kid brother are gunned down by rifle by the crooked lawyer meredith...then the murderous lawyer himself sends a condolence telegram to audie! :huh: what the...? audie shows up in santiago and tries to get a deputy badge from the crooked sheriff played by paul birch and his associate meredith the murderous lawyer. birch is not really believable as the crooked sheriff who's niece becomes audie's love interest. and of course dan duryea as happy go lucky killer outlaw whitey kincade who laughs at just about everything occurring in this turkey.
the movie doesn't kinda add up to me. like why did the crooked lawyer and sheriff wait so long to rustle the de mara cattle? the movie suggests they've been operating for some time and audie wanders off and leaves his dad and kid brother at the mercy of such evil riff raff.
russell johnson is the local drunken lowlife jed ringer who gets testy when his gorgeous girl abbe lane gets noticed. so here's audie murphy quick on the draw but decides to pal around with duryea who is unpredictably murderous as he tries to prove to dauntless audie a number of times. I just couldn't get too impressed with susan cabot as the crooked sheriff's niece. pretty but even virginia mayo was more adept at coming across sweeter. she seems kinda petulant throughout. and it seems an oversight that the age of audie's kid brother who was only like 16 years old is never touched upon. gorgeous abbe lane says she'll kill the sheriff herself if anything happens to jed ringer but after that she completely disappears from the movie.  it has a lot of positive IMDb reviews but I think it's subpar. audie murphy is very amiable and heroic but they coulda made him a little smarter. anyway never mind riding clear of diablo I would ride clear of this film.

:D

Hey Nip,

I kind of like this film. I think Russell Johnson is particularly good in his role. And Audie is well cast. Then there's Dan Duryea who always makes things better.

• Like 1

well, it certainly has that gaudy oversaturated 1950s technicolor look which always makes watching more pleasant.

watched it a couple nites ago since it is a free on demand offering. nothing like watching an old 1950s oater before turning in.

:)

• Like 1

The thing about most Murphy westerns is that they are fairly routine. (No Name On The Bullet I would say being an exception.) I have always found them, and him, pleasant entertainment. He is certainly amiable and often does a good job. He, too often, doesn't have material that brings it above the routine. (A fate of most early 50's Randolph Scott films.)

They are a good way to spend 90 minutes. Just don't overthink them.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, movieman1957 said:

The thing about most Murphy westerns is that they are fairly routine. (No Name On The Bullet I would say being an exception.) I have always found them, and him, pleasant entertainment. He is certainly amiable and often does a good job. He, too often, doesn't have material that brings it above the routine. (A fate of most early 50's Randolph Scott films.)

They are a good way to spend 90 minutes. Just don't overthink them.

Exactly. I don't think Murphy's westerns or Scott's westerns from the 50s were intended to be sophisticated think pieces. The purpose of these films was to entertain and to uphold American values.