Take It Big (1944)

Unknown Pleasures (2002)

The World (2004)

Private Buckaroo (1942)

Godzilla vs. Megalon (1973)

Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)

Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)

War of the Gargantuas (1966)

BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS ?!?!?!?!?!?! (1970)

The Living Skeleton (1968)

Imbarko a Mizzanotte (1952)

The Red House (1947)

That's Life! (1986)

• Like 1

Also little note after typing out all those Godzilla titles How much rampaging giant fire breathing lizard can one take in a night without wanting something else for a bit of a change?

• Haha 1

Ha ha ha, why do I always see these for the first time at 1:30 in the morning! Okay, well, I've got to check out at least a couple of weeks before attempting to sleep again. I will check out the Muni lineup before passing judgment. My initial reaction to his selection is favorable!

Okay, some thoughts on the first week.

October 1 primetime is movies that are all about Eve! I have to give TCM props for stocking the entire lineup with non-library films: two from Fox, one from Paramount, one from Columbia.

Looks like the primetime theme of October 2 is films that are no more than 75 minutes. Generally, I love these '30s films that manage to pack so much plot into such a short running time.

October 5- Summertree, early Michael Douglas film, looks like it might be promising.

October 6 - Somehow I've never seen Rooster Cogburn, which certainly looks to be more or less a remake of The African Queen, except in the Old West, complete with Katharine Hepburn for good measure. From Universal. TCM doesn't show a '70s Universal film every day (or month).

October 7 - I'm delighted to see TCM is showing Paul Muni's debut film, The Valiant, from Fox Films in 1929, for only the second time ever, but why did they have to shove it off to the middle of the night after two "in library" Muni films they show all the time?

Second week:

October 8 - Honoring Denzel Washington. TCM seems to show Glory a lot, but I've never seen either Devil with a Blue Dress or The Mighty Quinn and am interested in both of them.

October 9 - Oh, "Short and Sweet" is a theme for the entire month, I see. More films 75 minutes or shorter (seems to be the criteria). Eagle and the Hawk, with Cary Grant and Frederic March, from Paramount in 1933 is one I've always wanted to see. Address Unknown, with Paul Lukas from Columbia in 1940, also looks intriguing.

October 10 - I love the cinematography and art direction of The Black Cat (Universal, 1934). I don't really remember the plot, but it's Karloff and Lugosi together, so it's got to be great! The Devil Rides Out (renamed The Devil's Bride in the US so people wouldn't think it was a Western), is good, campy horror fun with a rare heroic role for Christopher Lee.

October 12 - I wish TCM could have found some different movies to spotlight Russ Tamblyn than the two most predictable ones.

October 13 - Robert Osborne's favorite actress, Gene Tierney, gets a double feature of Fox noirs.

October 14 - Bordertown (Warner Bros., 1935) - I didn't know Muni and Bette Davis ever did a film together! (Edit: Oops, I forgot about Jaurez, which airs the follwing week). Will probably check this one out.

Third week:

October 15 - Reading the plot description, I don't know if It Grows on Trees with Irene Dunn, Dean Jagger and Richard Crenna will be whimsical or ridiculous, but it's a Universal film from 1952 and a TCM premiere, so I will be checking it ot.

October 16 - This week's "Short and Sweet" lineup appears to be all noirs. I've seen a couple of them, but most of them I haven't. Bring them on!

October 17 - Well, I love The Uninvited. And I've never seen The Fogbut the TV commercials for it creeped me out when I was a kid. Hey, Jamie Lee Curtis and Janet Leigh were in a film together long before Halloween H20! 

October 20 - A couple of TCM premieres featuring Ozzie and Harriet Nelson, didn't really know they ever did movies. One from Universal, one from Paramount. Can't say I'm super-excited, but I always appreciate TCM premieres.

Fourth week:

October 25 - Well, if you can make it through eight hours of Godzilla movies, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (20th Century Fox, 1970) makes its TCM premiere at 2:15 am!

October 26 - Ethel Waters is worth a spotlight. I just saw that Billy Graham movie from the '50s on YouTube, in which Waters is prominently featured. I don't know if TCM has ever shown that. It's called The Heart is a Rebel, possibly intentionally vague, so people wouldn't necessarily know it was evangelical propaganda movie! Whit Stillman is an acquired taste, but if you like films where smart people mostly just sit around and talk (think My Dinner with Andre with prep-school students), stay up for Metropolitan.

October 27 - Given her gargantuan stardom, TCM has an obligation to show Marilyn movies when they can, I think, so I appreciate the effort. I might have picked Niagra as the Essential rather than River of No Return, but I prefer noirs to Westerns.

October 28 - I never heard of Angel on My Shoulder, but sounds fun from the plot description.

• Like 1

Fifth Week:

October 29 - I never heard of That's Life!, a 1986 pairing of Jack Lemmon and Julie Andrews. I will probably check it out.

And then about 26 hours straight of horror movies for Halloween, most of which I can only muster a polite yawn for. I have to say all those Godzilla movies strike me as pretty exhausting, too, although kudos to TCM for trying something different with their Monster of the Month this year.

• Like 1

It's nice to see an evening devoted to Ozzie and Harriet Nelson. Their Universal flick costars Rock Hudson and was used to help launch the TV version of their radio program. The Paramount B-musical that rounds out this tribute is called TAKE IT BIG (1944). Harriet plays a character named Jerry Clinton, while Ozzie appears as himself in the musical scenes.

IT GROWS ON TREES (1952) is Irene Dunne's last feature film, though she would continue to do roles on television into the 1960s. It's whimsical and the scenario gives Dunne a chance to do some comedy. Richard Crenna has a supporting role.

SUMMERTREE was directed by Anthony Newley, which I think is interesting.

The Short and Sweet series seems like a good way for TCM to recognize studio "B" films.

Glad to see the rare Blake Edwards-Julie Andrews film THAT'S LIFE! on the schedule. This was pretty much an independent production, with many of the scenes filmed inside the couple's home. Edwards' daughter Jennifer has a role; Andrews' daughter Emma has a role; and costar Jack Lemmon's son Chris has a role. Also, there's an appearance by Jack Lemmon's wife Felicia Farr.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On October 17th, THERE IS A SMALL TRIBUTE TO JEAN ARTHUR, who is one of my favorite actresses.  They will be showing the rarely seen EASY LIVING 1937, SCREWBALL COMEDY.   It was Directed by MITCHELL LEISEN, who was barely heralded as oner the best directors of the 1930s and forties. It was scripted by the future, the legendary director PRESTON STURGES.

I am posting a movie clip from the TCM ARCHIVE.  You will.notice the most fabulous set decorationS from the great HANS DRIER.  The sets are a pure ART DECO fantasy.  It is so lavish and fantastic.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/903889/Easy-Living-1937------Movie-Clip--Nice-Place-To-Flop.html

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Fourth week:

October 25 - Well, if you can make it through eight hours of Godzilla movies, Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (20th Century Fox, 1970) makes its TCM premiere at 2:15 am!

I love it that the final Godzilla night leads right into Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and The Legend of Lylah Clare. It seems so appropriate, considering what horror shows both are. Some the Godzillas have been around lately, both on Starz and IFC, but there are also some you don't see too often. One that I was only dimly aware of until recently is Godzilla Raids Again, which is from the 1950's, black and white, and can rightly be considered the sequel to the original. Destroy All Monsters (1969) is an all-star vehicle for the top Japanese monsters and features the destruction of major world capitals by the rampaging critters, all under the control of those aliens with the cool sunglasses.

Also in the category of rampaging monsters would be Diana Ross' vanity project, Mahogany (1975). It is what it is and I actually enjoy watching it, but it's all pretty shameless. Pairing it with Lady Sings the Blues makes no sense. It's not even a matter of apples and oranges; it's a matter of apples and rotten apples.

• Haha 1

Haunted Hotel is listed as the Silent Sunday Night and given a two hour slot on October 27th even though it is only five minutes long. :huh: 

• Confused 1

Normally I'm all over these schedules.  I came down with a pretty horrendous sore throat yesterday and today, and I just couldn't focus on reading the schedule.

I'm still not feeling well, left work early... all my extra time is perfect for catching up on movies! I just finished watching Where the Boys Are off On-Demand... I love that movie.  I actually own it, but watched the condensed SD version just so I didn't have to get up.  Now I am watching Tom, Dick and Harry, which leads me into my first thoughts on October's schedule...

10/1

The Girl Most Likely. A musical remake of Tom, Dick and Harry.  It features Jane Powell and Cliff Robertson. It sounds interesting.

One Sunday Afternoon. A Dennis Morgan musical also featuring Dorothy Malone.

10/2

The Girl From 10th Avenue. I feel like I've seen this Bette Davis movie before, but I don't remember.

10/5

The 39 Steps. I borrowed this Hitchcock movie from the library and had to return it before I could watch it.

10/13

Gene Tierney.  I've seen both Laura and Night in the City and enjoyed both. 

10/16

Racket Busters. A Bogart film I've never heard of.

Kid Glove Killer. A noir I haven't heard of. 

10/17

Jean Arthur birthday tribute. Arthur's one of my favorites.  I'm interested in Party Wire and If You Could Only Cook

The Uninvited. I've always wanted to see this film

10/21

The Devil and Daniel Webster. I always see this movie around, but I've never seen it.

10/22

Lady Sings the Blues sounds like it could be interesting.

10/23

Private Buckaroo. This musical featuring The Andrews Sisters sounds like it could be entertaining.

10/25

Beyond the Valley of the Dolls The Legend of Lylah Clare.  I am all-in for this double feature.

10/29

The Red House. This Edward G Robinson film sounds like it could be good.

And One Was Beautiful. I like the title.  The film also features Laraine Day, whom I also like.

Noir Alley

10/5 Trapped

10/12 Clash By Night

10/19 This Gun For Hire

10/26 Force of Evil

With the proliferation of horror fare, there isn't a ton that immediately piques my interest.  I'm indifferent to SOTM Paul Muni.  I will need to read more about him and figure out some films of his to see.  I'm not sure I've ever seen Muni in a film before.

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Kid Glove Killer. A noir I haven't heard of. 

Not a noir.  I like to call it "CSI: 1942" because that's basically what it is.  Even though we know fairly early on who the killer is, the movie is a heck of a lot of fun.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

One Sunday Afternoon. A Dennis Morgan musical also featuring Dorothy Malone.

Third version of a movie which was done in the early 30s as a Gary Cooper version called One Sunday Afternoon, and in the early 40s as one of James Cagney's personal favorites IIRC, titled The Strawberry Blonde.

I created a Paul Muni thread in the Star of the Month forum:

27 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The Red House. This Edward G Robinson film sounds like it could be good.

I believe I first saw The Red House on TCM, but I've since watched it again on YouTube. Robinson is alternately sympathetic and chilling!

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:01 AM, TopBilled said:

Glad to see the rare Blake Edwards-Julie Andrews film THAT'S LIFE! on the schedule. This was pretty much an independent production, with many of the scenes filmed inside the couple's home. Edwards' daughter Jennifer has a role; Andrews' daughter Emma has a role; and costar Jack Lemmon's son Chris has a role. Also, there's an appearance by Jack Lemmon's wife Felicia Farr.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:35 AM, sewhite2000 said:

Fifth Week:

October 29 - I never heard of That's Life!, a 1986 pairing of Jack Lemmon and Julie Andrews. I will probably check it out.

That's Life is indeed rare, and along with Julie's other film of 1986 (Duet for One), its one of the hardest films of hers to find. I have an 80s videotape copy, and have seen it. Top Billed is correct; it was an independent production and filmed in the Edwards' mansion; post-filming it was sold to Columbia for distribution only. Lemmon plays an extremely neurotic, womanizing middle aged architect who is having some form of mid-life crisis, complaining all the way. Julie Andrews is his wife, quietly waiting out Lemmon's birthday weekend, to see the results of her cancer biopsy test, which she has kept secret from everyone. Andrews comes off as the best thing in the film, underplaying nicely, and making the one scene where she finally speaks up about her husband's self-centeredness all the more effective.

Lemmon has more screentime, and there are a few scenes he has that are very funny in that comedy of embarassment type of way. (He contracts.... shall we say.... a certain disease from a conquest [played by Lemmon's real-life wife, Felicia Farr] and two scenes, one in a church, one in a hospital have a good low down effectiveness] 

Sally Kellerman adds some dizzy support as a spacey neighbor. And Robert Loggia is a priest who was an old college friend of Lemmon.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

That's Life is indeed rare, and along with Julie's other film of 1986 (Duet for One), its one of the hardest films of hers to find.

That's Life was being shown in heavy rotation (a couple of times per week for several months) on one of those MeTV-type stations in the last few years. It may have been THIS, which showed a lot of Columbia films.

• Thanks 1

Just now, LawrenceA said:

That's Life was being shown in heavy rotation (a couple of times per week for several months) on one of those MeTV-type stations in the last few years. It may have been THIS, which showed a lot of Columbia films.

So, kind of like FXM Retro (heavy rotation for a few months)? I didn't know it had been making the rounds again. The DVD has been out of print for years (ever since Artisan Entertainment went out in the early 2000s), and also I don't think those channels are available in this neck of the woods, so that's probably how I hadn't heard.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:51 PM, CinemaInternational said:

Paul Muni is SOTM.

Godzilla is the monster of the month.

Paul Muni & Godzilla, Together at Last . . .

I'm looking forward to the Julie Andrews/Jack Lemmon film.  I didn't even know she even did a film with him.

On 7/12/2019 at 4:16 PM, speedracer5 said:

Normally I'm all over these schedules.  I came down with a pretty horrendous sore throat yesterday and today, and I just couldn't focus on reading the schedule.

I do hope you are better. Cognac is good for sore throat and/or cough. Honest.

This sequence from Victor/Victoria comes to mind:

Victoria:
I know this is going to sound crazy, but I don't know if I'm even gonna be able to *sleep*, I'm so tired.

Toddy:
I'll get you a cognac.

Victoria:
That'll help me sleep?

Toddy:
No, but it makes staying awake a hell of a lot more fun.

Take Good Care!

2 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

So, kind of like FXM Retro (heavy rotation for a few months)? I didn't know it had been making the rounds again. The DVD has been out of print for years (ever since Artisan Entertainment went out in the early 2000s), and also I don't think those channels are available in this neck of the woods, so that's probably how I hadn't heard.

You out in the boonies. are ya?  :P

Not a bad place to be.