Sign in to follow this  
TopBilled

Side profiles

33 posts in this topic

I was looking at a photo from the 1934 movie MANDALAY.

I noticed that Lyle Talbot (in his younger days) had a perfect side profile.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 5.44.01 PM.jpeg

I also think Grace Kelly's side profile is perfect.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 5.47.19 PM.jpeg

• Like 2

Claudette Colbert preferred to be photographed from her best side.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 3.07.56 PM.png

• Like 1

My favorite movie actor profile:

f5d1dcc10324a232d0207af2bf0e9651--ronald

What an expressive face Mr. Colman had!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

My favorite movie actor profile:

f5d1dcc10324a232d0207af2bf0e9651--ronald

What an expressive face Mr. Colman had!

Great one. Here's another:

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 2.58.36 PM.png

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Great one. Here's another:

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 2.58.36 PM.png

Saaay, and speakin' of whom. Ever noticed...???

42-68884062.jpg__1072x720_q85_crop.jpg

;)

• Haha 1

Kelly Garrett, I mean Jaclyn Smith. This angel still looks beautiful.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 3.03.32 PM.png

Hi guys you have the definition of the word profile all wrong.  Here is the Webster's Dictionaries definition of the word.

Definition of profile

(Entry 1 of 2)

1: a representation of something in outline especially : a human head or face represented or seen in a side view. A profile means an image shown on a side view.

• Like 1

Odd, how in a forum supposedly devoted to "classic" films and their enthusiasts, no pics of JOHN BARRYMORE, whose profile had always had a big deal made of it, wasn't offered!  :o

Way to go, FILM FANS!  :unsure:  :rolleyes:

Besides, I'll cast my vote for JIMMY DURANTE!  ;)

Sepiatone

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Odd, how in a forum supposedly devoted to "classic" films and their enthusiasts, no pics of JOHN BARRYMORE, whose profile had always had a big deal made of it, wasn't offered!  :o

I was actually going to post a photo of him first, but since Ronald Colman is one of my very favorites, I changed my mind! :)

316e31e989e42ef57eded0001d99541d--barrymore-family-john-barrymore.jpg

1 hour ago, Sepiatone said:

Besides, I'll cast my vote for JIMMY DURANTE!  ;)

😄

• Like 3

I love Vivien Leigh's dainty nose and mouth.

s-l300.jpg

I have problems posting pics on this site, so I'll just throw the name BASIL RATHBONE into the mix. 

Sepiatone

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Elizabeth Montgomery

Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 11.45.51 AM.png

Elizabeth kind of has that Grace Kelly look here.

• Like 1

Stunning Hedy Lamarr

globe-photo-agency-hedy-lamarr-glamour-profile-portrait-800x800.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The way Hedy's nose lifts her upper lip a little bit is one reason I put her at the top of my list. (The list I keep ready for when I get my three wishes.) 

Gene Tierney has  that, too.  I think it makes their faces a little softer and sexier than say Greta Garbo, who was famed for her great beauty, but that thin upper lip always looked too severe for my taste.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, TopBilled said:

Claudette Colbert preferred to be photographed from her best side.

Screen Shot 2019-07-11 at 3.07.56 PM.png

Colbert keeps that same three-quarter angle aimed at the camera so much I've found her movies  almost impossible to watch.  I get distracted waiting for a glimpse of the "bad" side.  I've seen it and it's perfectly fine, there was no reason for her to put her co-stars and directors to so much trouble over it.

11 minutes ago, AndreaDoria said:

Colbert keeps that same three-quarter angle aimed at the camera so much I've found her movies  almost impossible to watch.  I get distracted waiting for a glimpse of the "bad" side.  I've seen it and it's perfectly fine, there was no reason for her to put her co-stars and directors to so much trouble over it.

Yes, every now and then, she does get photographed from the other side and it never seems terrible. 

I read something where Sam Goldwyn had problems with Loretta Young and Cary Grant during the filming of THE BISHOP'S WIFE. Both, like Colbert, preferred to be shot from one side. But because their preferred side was the same side, that meant they could not be in a two-shot together. In one key scene, the director photographed their reflections in a window while they recited the dialogue to get around this problem. Goldwyn was upset and did not want a reflection in a window. He marched down to the set and told them both he was paying them good money and did not want half a performance, he wanted performances from both sides.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AndreaDoria said:

The way Hedy's nose lifts her upper lip a little bit is one reason I put her at the top of my list. (The list I keep ready for when I get my three wishes.) 

Jeanne Crain also had that look. In profile, she and Jean Simmons could be twins!

60299784_2155006801215885_1913069357308514933_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.cdninstagram.com

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Yes, every now and then, she does get photographed from the other side and it never seems terrible. 

I read something where Sam Goldwyn had problems with Loretta Young and Cary Grant during the filming of THE BISHOP'S WIFE. Both, like Colbert, preferred to be shot from one side. But because their preferred side was the same side, that meant they could not be in a two-shot together. In one key scene, the director photographed their reflections in a window while they recited the dialogue to get around this problem. Goldwyn was upset and did not want a reflection in a window. He marched down to the set and told them both he was paying them good money and did not want half a performance, he wanted performances from both sides.

Type in your computer's search engine "Jean Arthur images", and then afterward and when you see pictures of her that aren't straight forward shots of her face and that are more in profile, tell me from which side of her face the preponderance of these pictures had been taken. 

In other words, when it came to this sort of thing, word was Jean Arthur was or could be even more insistent.

(...and btw, and as you may have noticed after performing the above function, Jean considered the left side of her face much more attractive than her right side)

jean-arthur.jpg

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the following beauty might've thought she had a "good" or better side?...

natalie-wood_b599cdac.jpg

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Dargo said:

Type in your computer's search engine "Jean Arthur images", and then afterward and when you see pictures of her that aren't straight forward shots of her face and that are more in profile, tell me from which side of her face the preponderance of these pictures had been taken. 

In other words, when it came to this sort of thing, word was Jean Arthur was or could be even more insistent.

(...and btw, and as you may have noticed after performing the above function, Jean considered the left side of her face much more attractive than her right side)

jean-arthur.jpg

What film is this image from?