Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

Box Office: Disney Hits Record $7.67B in 2019 Global Revenue as 'Lion King' Nears $1B

34 posts in this topic

They're turning out a lot of remakes this year: DUMBO, ALADDIN and now THE LION KING.

Consider me not amazed that foreign countries went to see talking CGI animals.  😐

(After all the desperation of Warner/DC fans to say "But...Batman v. Superman was a hit if you count the German audience!", it's become a joke among movie fans to say "Only flops, fanboys and studio execs care about 'Worldwide box office'".
The China-mania for Transformers and Pirates 5--and Lion King--pretty much knocked the credibility out of that one for good.  And let's not even start on the "Ice Age" movies.)

57 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

They're turning out a lot of remakes this year: DUMBO, ALADDIN and now THE LION KING.

There's a reason for that--Okay, two, if you count Dumbo:

Originally, the whole "point" of their doing remakes for no immediately apparent reason was that these were originally going to be prestige "Artisan" remakes by famous directors--You know, like when Kenneth Branagh did the  Cinderella remake?  And Tim Burton counted as one of their "famous" directors after the Alice movies.  Of course, by the time he actually directed it, "Pete's Dragon" had taken the bloom off the rose, and now they just went with the quick title-fan money that "Beauty & the Beast" had brought in.  By that point, there was no need to get Sofia Coppola to direct a "Little Mermaid" remake, when their Mary Poppins Returns director could do the job in half the time.

As for why Aladdin, Lion King and Little Mermaid in direct succession?  First, A) it's because "It's all about FRANCHISES!" in 10's movies, and Disney doesn't actually have one.  Oh, they have Marvel, and Pixar, and Fox, but those all operate by themselves--They can't make a Mickey Mouse movie, and, thanks to new rules set in after those annoying direct-video sequels, they can't make a franchise "universe" of Cinderella prequels or "Legacy-quels" either.  At least (muahahaha)....not animated ones, anyway.  😈

Also, B ) the sad truth (at least as they see it) about the 90's Animated Renaissance is that there were really only four of them:  Mermaid, Beauty, Aladdin and Lion King, '89-'94, period.  The '95-'97 three-punch of Pocahontas, Hunchback and Hercules traumatized the studio for life, into believing they "never had another hit" after Lion King, until after Chicken Little and Michael Eisner's resignation...Or even, in fact, until "Tangled" came along in '10.   (As disgruntled fans of "Bolt", "Meet the Robinsons" and even "Princess & the Frog" well know.)  But wait, weren't Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, Tarzan and Emperor's New Groove fairly well-received with the audience?--Shh, not so loud, you'll spoil it.

So, wherever one of the Big Four gets a new market, the other three must follow:  Beauty gets a Broadway musical, give Lion King and Aladdin one.  (And how many even remember Mermaid getting one?)  Beauty gets a big-screen IMAX conversion after "Fantasia 2000", give Lion King and Aladdin--oops, sorry, LK didn't do so well.  Lion King gets a hit 3-D conversion, give Beauty and...well, Mermaid did get one, even if it went straight to disk.  If one of the movies ever goes to VR, you KNOW which three to expect next.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Mulan too.

• Thanks 1

Around $5 billion of that is superhero movies, too. And there's still another Star Wars movie at the end of the year...

After Mulan, there will be a live-action Little Mermaid. They've found yet another cash cow, remaking their old animated movies.

It's hard to grasp how successful Disney is, honestly. Beyond what even Uncle Walt could have dreamed of. Between super-heroes, Pixar and remakes, six of the 15 top-grossing movies so far this year are Disney releases, and the most successful non-Disney film, Spider-Man: Far from Home, is closely tied in thanks to a special shared intellectual property agreement between Disney and Sony.

7 hours ago, EricJ said:

Consider me not amazed that foreign countries went to see talking CGI animals.  😐

(After all the desperation of Warner/DC fans to say "But...Batman v. Superman was a hit if you count the German audience!", it's become a joke among movie fans to say "Only flops, fanboys and studio execs care about 'Worldwide box office'".
The China-mania for Transformers and Pirates 5--and Lion King--pretty much knocked the credibility out of that one for good.  And let's not even start on the "Ice Age" movies.)

There's a reason for that--Okay, two, if you count Dumbo:

The foreign markets (especially China) are guaranteed to eat up whatever Disney churns out. Even the mediocre movies that don't do as well as expected in the US, make it up through the foreign market. The Columbia Ghostbusters remake not getting a proper China release is a major reason that it bombed. China alone is bound to keep Disney happy for a long time.

tumblr_mhw5agLAjY1qm6sfao1_r1_500.gif

As for the future of Disney, I'm sure they'll find even more of their older films to remake in the future. Maybe they'll even do a remake of the 1001 Dalmatians remake. :blink: I wouldn't be surprised.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

The foreign markets (especially China) are guaranteed to eat up whatever Disney churns out. Even the mediocre movies that don't do as well as expected in the US, make it up through the foreign market. The

It's amazing how much revenue you can generate with complete mediocrity if you do everything in a big CGI way and target overseas markets. This seems to be Disney's business model.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

The foreign markets (especially China) are guaranteed to eat up whatever Disney churns out.

So Americans aren't the only chumps?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

It's definitely a great business move, it's certainly paying off. Artistic? Well, that's up for debate...

i have some problems with disney ... who cares ... setting all the in depth analysis to the side ... disney is laughing all the way to the bank ... money has always moved hollywood ...   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

It's definitely a great business move, it's certainly paying off. Artistic? Well, that's up for debate...

Although it's also the same problem for why Pixar and Marvel movies do well as the reliable "default" movies to go see in a summer where the "blockbusters" turn out to be high-profile duds--

Usually the first week in May is the big summer movie! everyone has to rush to, but this year, Marvel Endgame came along in the last week of April, and stole the thunder.  This year's Big May Summer consisted of "Ugly Dolls", "Detective Pikachu" and "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" (which didn't turn out to be the audience doorbuster Warner was convinced it was going to be), and for all the people saying "what's the point?" about Aladdin, by that Memorial Day, it looked like, well...an oasis in the desert.

As for Lion King...I've loathed and despised the movie for twenty-five years--for artistic reasons, mind you, not just because they stole Japanese anime red-handed in the loopiest and most Linda-Woolverton wrong way possible, and then Jeffrey Katzenberg filed off the serial numbers by convincing a lot of gullible anime-illiterate dopes that he liked Shakespeare--so I've never quite UNDERSTOOD the hypnotic obsession the words conjure up in its fans.  Yes, you were kids in the 90's, and/or it was the first Disney movie your parents showed you on disk, and now you want to show your own trophy-kids (all the parents going to the 3-D version a few years ago acted like they were Mufasa showing their young Simbas the kingdom they would inherit), but seriously...a meerkat in a **** hula skirt singing "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"?--THIS was "better" than Robin Williams?? 😮 Or was it just "okay" by '94 to finally admit that you liked Disney films, since it was hit and trendy and getting Oscars, and you didn't have to worry that anyone would call the cops?

9 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

The foreign markets (especially China) are guaranteed to eat up whatever Disney churns out. Even the mediocre movies that don't do as well as expected in the US, make it up through the foreign market.

Remember back when we didn't even care about the Chinese market outside of Hong Kong, and were too busy trying to court the Japanese market, with "47 Ronin"?  

And then..."Warcraft".  (Which, TBF, was just being discovered as an online game in China at the time, so they at least remembered it.)

The Columbia Ghostbusters remake not getting a proper China release is a major reason that it bombed. China alone is bound to keep Disney happy for a long time.

Even though the State decried "Zootopia" as "Western propaganda", for its dangerous and unscientific metaphor that lowly working-class rabbits and sheep could outwit their predators...

The complaint was laughed off by all the gushing Chinese Disney fangirls, but does sort of emphasize that just because a Communist country wants to sell things to the West, that still doesn't make them free Capitalists.

(And of course, that's why Pirates, Ice Age and Transformers do so well--The Chinese state-controlled theater market doesn't allow political films or specific depiction of life in Western countries, so whizzing robot gears, CGI-laden fantasy films, and wisecracking cartoon characters make a nice change from the historical epics, squeaky-clean working-couple romances and Monkey King sagas.  Although recent news says that even those Franchises are starting to Fatigue with rising ticket prices...)

Speaking of The Lion King:

It was bound to be a hit anyway. The original was regarded as one of Disney's best and biggest, and it only makes sense that the remake would follow in its tracks. 

Can you feel the hate tonight? ;)

8 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Disney the greedsters plagiarized the lion king from....

Well, it's not like they stole hip street-bully hyenas, or anything:  

As the official legend has it:
Disney execs were in Tokyo for a 1987 meeting, back when nobody in the US had literally HEARD of Japanese anime since the '60's (oh, any early-90's anime fans remember the days of "Speed Racer" and "Astro Boy" jokes? 😓 ) and were surprised to see, gasp, someone else did popular animation too.  The old-fogey execs obviously didn't recognize Doraemon, Gundam or Totoro, but they did recognize a certain 60's-boomer-TV Osamu Tezuka character from "Jungle Emperor" who was celebrating his 20th-anniversary nostalgia marketing.  This was back when Disney was on a craze for Americanizing French comedies with Martin Short, so they had the neat idea for their animation division to Americanize a popular Japanese movie that US audiences knew.

But that was back in 1987, why did it take so long?  Well, see, rights fell through, and it wasn't until after Tezuka died in 1989 that Jeffrey Katzenberg announced Disney's FIRST ORIGINAL story ever, "King of the Jungle", loosely inspired by Hamlet!

(...This guy got a freakin' Humanitarian Oscar???) 😡

I don't think you could technically call a live action version of an earlier animated feature a "remake".  To me, it begs for a better word.  "Restructuring" maybe.....

But it does get tiring having long admired and beloved animated features having a musical "do-over".  I mean.....

Look at the STAGE PRESENTATION of THE LION KING with all those dancers parading around with all those weird looking puppets.  Well....c'MON now!  :rolleyes:

This struck me as so silly I couldn't imagine people actually spending money to sit and watch it.  

I wish they'd learn to leave well enough alone and spend money on new IDEAS instead.  

Sepiatone

29 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Look at the STAGE PRESENTATION of THE LION KING with all those dancers parading around with all those weird looking puppets.  Well....c'MON now!  

This struck me as so silly I couldn't imagine people actually spending money to sit and watch it.  

I wish they'd learn to leave well enough alone and spend money on new IDEAS instead.  

Maybe they'll "learn" whenever they stop making enormous amounts of money. Until then...

Blame the patrons. Disney wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't profitable. 

3 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Yeah, they never should have cast Judy Garland in A Star is Born.  Or The Wizard of Oz, come to think of it, since it had been done in the silent era.

5 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

Look at the STAGE PRESENTATION of THE LION KING with all those dancers parading around with all those weird looking puppets.  Well....c'MON now!  :rolleyes:

Hey, I'm from Boston, don't knock Julie Taymor.  😡 (Who went on to direct Titus (1999) and The Tempest (2010))

See, at the time, Disney was jumping into their new Broadway career after "Beauty & the Beast", and had originally hired Taymor and her giant artsy puppets to do a "Pinocchio" musical--But then, like the remakes, the need to promote the Big 90's Four took over...

maybe Disney could try their luck with 50 foot women.

(Yes, I know, "trademarks", but what does that even mean???  😕 )

37 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Hey, I'm from Boston, don't knock Julie Taymor.  😡 (Who went on to direct Titus (1999) and The Tempest (2010))

I haven't seen Titus, but her version of The Tempest was terrible.