Sign in to follow this  
hamradio

Was it really necessary to remove the Wizard of Oz thread.

19 posts in this topic

Thread not argumentive, it was civil, fun and informative.

:(

Hope some killjoy here didn't ask the mods to send it to the thread graveyard. :angry:

• Confused 1

Yeah, that seems weird. Any idea why it was pulled? Was it due to implying that the OP may have been trolling, which has been interpreted as abusive in the past? Was it due to the YouTube clips? That would be unusual but not unheard of, due to copyright concerns. Maybe the Op himself asked for the deletion. 

1 minute ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, that seems weird. Any idea why it was pulled? Was it due to implying that the OP may have been trolling, which has been interpreted as abusive in the past? Was it due to the YouTube clips? That would be unusual but not unheard of, due to copyright concerns. Maybe the Op himself asked for the deletion. 

Generally some Youtube videos are deleted because of copyright issues, not taking the entire thread with it.

There was a movie thread taken down because it had nothing but movies.

6 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

If the OP asked for the thread to be removed (due to embarrassment),  that makes sense but any other reason doesn't.

• Like 2

If there was a strong reason to delete the thread, and the moderators don't tell us why, guess what, it will happen again.

It would be nice if the moderators would provide a reason for the thread's deletion, especially since nothing out of the norm appeared to be happening on it. How are we to learn what is or isn't permissible on these boards if the mods pull a thread without explaining the reason why.

• Like 2

Latest update on the reliving of my youth to follo...umm...WAIT!

Saaaay, where am I here? I'm not in Kansas..ahem..I mean I'm not in that original Oz thread, anymore???

(...well, in THAT case, just never mind then!)

• Haha 4

XMex.gif

"You mean they deleted the original thread?"

tenor.gif?itemid=3565347

tumblr_oxrl7nTyz71wzvt9qo1_400.gif

"Someone stop me before I rust."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Maybe the Op himself asked for the deletion. 

Bingo (probably). I suspect that the competition in the thread about whose parents were the most parsimonious with respect to buying a color TV did not loom large in the decision.

• Haha 4

I don't recall the OP ever returning to the thread. We are quick to jump on others' mistakes around here. I'm guilty of it, too, but I've also been called out for something I posted that was erroneous on numerous occasions. You gotta be a little thick skinned around here! I've noticed in "real life", I'm far and away more knowledgeable about classic film than anyone I know personally, but typically on here, unless it's an area in which I really have a lot of knowledge, I'm just another dude. I suspect it's like that for a lot of us. And while I've occasionally felt foolish after posting something obviously wrong, in the end, I tend to appreciate having my knowledge increased.

But yeah, the OP's mistake in that thread was one of the all-time whoppers, and my first thought, too, was that he personally requested the thread be taken down. I don't even know how one does that, but I presume there's a way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

But yeah, the OP's mistake in that thread was one of the all-time whoppers, and my first thought, too, was that he personally requested the thread be taken down. I don't even know how one does that, but I presume there's a way.

I think in order to do that, you have to private message the moderator.

• Thanks 1

Some assumptions by some, I see, that the OP asked for the thread to be taken down.

It would be nice if the moderators would simply tell us the reason why rather than leaving an explanation void filled in by speculation.

4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

You gotta be a little thick skinned around here! I've noticed in "real life", I'm far and away more knowledgeable about classic film than anyone I know personally, but typically on here, unless it's an area in which I really have a lot of knowledge, I'm just another dude. I suspect it's like that for a lot of us. And while I've occasionally felt foolish after posting something obviously wrong, in the end, I tend to appreciate having my knowledge increased.

Thank you for expressing my feelings exactly. 

Signed: Just Another Dude

sam-elliot-and-jeff-bridges-the-big-lebo

• Haha 1

Years ago, I remember reading one of Roger Ebert's Q&A columns that featured a question similar to the one that got this thread started.  A disgruntled theater-goer wrote in to complain that they had just watched The Wizard of Oz on the big screen and were furious that it was not shown in its original widescreen aspect ratio.  They complained to the manager, and when told the film was supposed to be in Academy ratio, they said "Bull!" (that's literally what they wrote to Ebert).  Ebert, of course, set them straight, but in a very polite manner.

On a similar note, I once read about Shirley Temple renting a copy of her own The Little Princess on VHS.  The clerk, who clearly did not recognize her, warned her that the tape was colorized and not the original black-and-white.  She politely informed him that the movie was indeed filmed in color.  He said no it wasn't, they didn't make color movies back then.  I believe she just said ok and let it go at that, secure in her knowledge of the truth.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Feego said:

Years ago, I remember reading one of Roger Ebert's Q&A columns that featured a question similar to the one that got this thread started.  A disgruntled theater-goer wrote in to complain that they had just watched The Wizard of Oz on the big screen and were furious that it was not shown in its original widescreen aspect ratio.  They complained to the manager, and when told the film was supposed to be in Academy ratio, they said "Bull!" (that's literally what they wrote to Ebert).  Ebert, of course, set them straight, but in a very polite manner.

On a similar note, I once read about Shirley Temple renting a copy of her own The Little Princess on VHS.  The clerk, who clearly did not recognize her, warned her that the tape was colorized and not the original black-and-white.  She politely informed him that the movie was indeed filmed in color.  He said no it wasn't, they didn't make color movies back then.  I believe she just said ok and let it go at that, secure in her knowledge of the truth.

Clerk needs to watch the movie, and pay attention to the MAIN TITLE! :lol:

little-princess-color.png

4 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But........

"Yours is NOT to reason why-------- "  :rolleyes:

Just...  SEIG HEIL!  :D

Sepiatone

It is all the inconsistencies and hypocrisies around here that keep me coming back.  Like slowing down to look at the carnage from an accident.  http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/forum-twisted.gif

• Haha 1