Sign in to follow this  
Guest dredagain

Richard Barthelmess in JUST SUPPOSE and THE DROP KICK

55 posts in this topic

That list being from 2000, maybe these titles have already been added by whoever compiled the list, but if not, add:

DANGEROUS INNOCENCE (1925) - Laura LaPlante, Eugene O'Brien, Jean Hersholt.

THE FIGHTING AMERICAN (1924) - Mary Astor, Pat O'Malley, Warner Oland.

THE LONE EAGLE (1927) - Raymond Keane, Barbara Kent.

THE LOVE THRILL (1927) - Laura LaPlante, Tom Moore.

MODERN LOVE (1929) (part-talkie) - Charley Chase, Kathryn Crawford.

OH, BABY! (1926) - Madge Kennedy, Little Billy, Creighton Hale.

THE OLD SOAK (1926) - Jean Hersholt, June Marlowe, George Lewis.

PEACOCK FEATHERS (1927) - Jacqueline Logan, Cullen Landis.

PERCH OF THE DEVIL (1927) - Mae Busch, Pat O'Malley.

THE SMALL BACHELOR (1927) - Barbara Kent, Andre Beranger.

SKINNER STEPS OUT (1929) - Glenn Tryon, Merna Kennedy.

THANKS FOR THE BUGGY RIDE (1928) - Laura LaPlante, Glenn Tryon.

WATCH YOUR WIFE (1926) - Virginia Valli, Pat O'Malley.

Also silent versions of:

THE CLIMAX (1930) - Jean Hersholt, Kathryn Crawford.

THE COHENS AND KELLYS IN ATLANTIC CITY (1929) - George Sidney, Mack Swain.

THE COHENS AND KELLYS IN SCOTLAND (1930) - George Sidney, Charlie Murray.

DAMES AHOY! (1930) - Glenn Tryon, Helen Wright.

musicalnovelty,

That is good to know. I wish I could find a copy of BACK TO GOD'S COUNTRY. Not to mention THE LOVE THRILL. Among others. .

The list was compiled by Jon Mirsalis. Who has scored a few Silents for TCM in the past. You can reach him here.

> e-mail: Chaney...@aol.com

> Lon Chaney Home Page: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan

> Jon's Film Sites: http://members.aol.com/ChaneyFan/jonfilm.htm

Besides BACK TO GOD'S COUNTRY, I have discovered a few more surviving Renee Adoree films. Including...

THE ETERNAL STRUGGLE (Metro, 1923)

PARISIAN NIGHTS (MGM, 1926)

ON ZE BOULEVARD (MGM, 1927)

HEAVEN ON EARTH (MGM, 1927)

I had already confirmed the existence of the once lost FORBIDDEN HOURS (1928), Also MAN AND MAID (1925), AN EXCHANGE OF WIVES (1925), THE FLAMING FOREST (1926), and possibly Jose' Von Sternberg's THE EXQUISITE SINNER (1926). There is also a film with Renee and Norma Shearer, but I have forgotten what it was called?

While it quite a few Universal titles that survive, the percent ratio to those that were made is rather small compared to MGM, for instance.

Universal made a total of 950 silent features. There are only 180 that survive, which is 19%.

Of those 180 titles 145 of them are complete, which brings the number down to 15%.

MGM made 178 silent features. 122 survive, which is 69%. Of those 122 title, 107 are complete, which is 60%. All things considered, it's still better than no title surviving!

Hey Scottman! Where are you getting your information from? Can you tell me If BACK TO GOD'S COUNTRY is complete? Does it is exist in 35 Millimeter? Have you seen it? Aaron actually mentioned something about having a copy, but I have no details? Send me an E-mail.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> Hey Scottman! Where are you getting your information from? Can you tell me If BACK TO GOD'S COUNTRY is complete? Does it is exist in 35 Millimeter? Have you seen it? Aaron actually mentioned something about having a copy, but I have no details? Send me an E-mail.

Jeff, the info came from a Jon Mirsalis posting on the old alt.movies.silent newsgroup.

It was posted there about 9 or 10 years ago. I printed it at that time and kept the info as it was the most up to date (for the time). I figure a few more title have been found since then, but the numbers are still low. I have not seen the 1927 version of BACK TO GOD'S COUNTRY, on the 1919 version with Nell Shipman.

Yeah, that is where the Universal titles list came from. I do not have a complete MGM, listing, First National, Paramount Etc. You can add on the recent additions that musicalnovelty mentioned. Also have this list of quasi-MGM titles. What is *THE COVERED WAGON* doing on there?

Blind Husbands (1919, UNIV)

Confessions of a Queen (1925, ME-GL) incomplete

Conquering Power, The (1921, METRO)

Covered Wagon, The (1923, FPL)

Denial, The (1925, ME-GL) incomplete

Eternal Struggle, The (1923, MAYER)

Extravagance (1921, METRO)

False Faces, The (1919, INCE)

Famous Mrs. Fair, The (1923, MAYER)

Fine Feathers (1921, METRO)

Fourteenth Lover, The (1922, METRO)

Garden of Allah, The (1927, INGRM)

Garments of Truth (1921, SLPIC)

Greed (1925, ME-GL)

Half-a-Dollar Bill (1924, GRAFM)

Happiness (1924, METRO)

Her Fatal Millions (1923, METRO)

Idle Rich, The (1921, METRO)

Lady of the Night (1925, ME-GL)

Last Card, The (1921, METRO)

Lovelorn, The (1927, COSMO)

Monster, The (1925, ME-GL)

Old Clothes (1925, COOGN)

One Clear Call (1922, MAYER)

Our Dancing Daughters (1928, COSMO)

Penalty, The (1920, EMAUP)

Pretty Ladies (1925, ME-GL) incomplete

Prisoner of Zenda, The (1922, METRO)

Proud Flesh (1925, ME-GL)

Rag Man, The (1925, ME-GL)

Red Lights (1923, GLDPC)

Red Lily, The (1924, ME-GL)

Red Mill, The (1926, COSMO)

Regeneration (1915, FOX)

Revelation (1924, ME-GL)

Scaramouche (1923, METRO)

Shooting of Dan McGrew, The (1924, SLPIC)

Sporting Venus, The (1925, ME-GL)

Tide of Empire (1929, COSMO)

Torrent, The (1925, COSMO)

Understanding Heart, The (1926, COSMO)

Whirl of Life, The (1915, CORTF)

White Desert, The (1925, ME-GL)

White Sister, The (1923, INSPR)

Wine of Youth (1924, ME-GL)

Thy Name Is Woman (1924, MAYER)

Turn to the Right (1922, METRO)

Haunted Pajamas, The (1917, YORKE)

Seeing's Believing (1922, METRO)

Temptress, The (1926, COSMO)

Tillie the Toiler (1927, COSMO)

Wild Oranges (1924, GLDPC)

Lights of Old Broadway (1925, COSMO)

Better 'Ole, The (1927, WARNR)

Flaming Forest, The (1926, COSMO)

Quality Street (1927, COSMO)

Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, The (1921, METRO)

Peg o' My Heart (1922, METRO)

Quincy Adams Sawyer (1912, PURSF)

Show Boat (1929, UNIV) incomplete

Way of a Girl, The (1925, ME-GL)

Jeff,

When I posted here the surviving First Nationals and MGMs, a while ago they were from alt.movies.silent too. I think I have a surviving Paramounts list i could post....

Scottman,

I remember the list of First National titles. I do not recall seeing the full list of MGM's though? I only had the list of MGM's that up until that time in 1997, had not yet been featured at festivals.

*The Patent Leather Kid*..... I had an old VHS of this (so-so print quality, grainy, etc.) and transferred it to DVD a few years ago. The trouble was at 127 minutes it would fit on one DVD. My DVD recorder only records at standard speed, not EP.

Anyway I recently had a request for a copy of this terrific film (Richard Barthelmess' first Oscar nomination) so I started tinkering with it and finally found a program that allowed me to combine the video files from two folders and get the film all on one DVD.

Emboldened by this success (Im' not a tekkie), I reloaded MAGIX Movie Edit Pro 12, which I bought 2 years ago and couldn't figure out. Again with the tinkering I finally figured out how to edit the first video file and append the other four. I turned the b&w to sepia (a much softer look that mellows out a lot of scratches etc) and added a soft iris.

The burn process for project last an incredible 22 hours! I have no idea if that's a standard time for something like this. But when I got up this morning I had a new, tinted version of this film.

I am very pleased.

Message was edited by: drednm

If you don't want to compromise quality even further consider putting the film that won't fit on a typical DVD-R disc onto a double layer DVD+R disc. They are available off Amazon. I buy in bulk and I'd say 7 times out of 10 I use double layer discs now, so I don't have to squeeze movies onto one DVD-R that only carries about 4.3 gig of film. Double layer discs hold over 8 gig of space.

http://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Double-Layer-Bundle-Discs/dp/B000F0ELOG/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1249226173&sr=8-6

DVD Shrink can burn these double layer discs if you choose No Compression option on the right hand side panel. They cost a little more but if you are tired of watching films that look like soup from compression then give them a try.

> {quote:title=gagman66 wrote:}{quote}

> Scottman,

>

>

> I remember the list of First National titles. I do not recall seeing the full list of MGM's though? I only had the list of MGM's that up until that time in 1997, had not yet been featured at festivals.

I stand corrected, the MGM list I had was of those that were considered lost.

UGH I spoke too soon.... When I actually tried a playback of *The Patent Leather Kid* I noted I've lost the sound track! Not that it was any good anyway, but I guess there's still more to learn on this editing stuff..... OH WELL. Maybe I can get Jeff to add a snappy score for this important film. At least the visual part is ok.....

BUT then I tried to work on *The Sporting Venus,* which I watched Saturday, and I couldn't even get the video files to open in the MAGIX software..... GRRRRRR.

Ed,

I have the same trouble with the new version of Super. It is supposed to join VOB, MPEG 2 and 4, or AVI files together. Once they are joined together, I can no longer hear the audio during playback anymore, even though it is still there? So I don't get it at all? This has prevented me from making creative fan videos and such, or even scoring a movie from start to finish. Really frustrating.

Jeff.... the music score on *The Patent Leather Kid* was nothing great in any case, but this software is so hard to use.... WHY? I worked like a demon to get all the video files linked (from two folders) and I guess I assumer the sound would follow. With a better copy and a decent score this could rank among the great silents. A truly great film.

But at least I have it all on one DVD now and am happy with the visual effects I could add.....

Just tried out *Upstage* and it's mute....

The soundtrack might still be there, you're just not hearing it for some reason. Some old players for instance won't play MP2 files, only AC3 files, or vice versa. Some won't play full MPEG audio.

Can you tell what format your sound file is for your film?

I put a music soundtrack to Upstage a few weeks ago.

Jill,

Yes, but I have to score several individual files. Then I have to send them to Jorge to join them up. After that He has to send them back to me. Which is a imposition and not fair to him because it takes away from his own free time. Sure happy to have a good friend like Jorge. He is one in a Million!

Ed, Jill,

Your one both in a Million too. Please don't misunderstand. Would like to hear your score to UPSTAGE Jill if possible. I was planning to add one. Just have not gotten around to that yet.

Have had almost Zero luck with Dual-Layer media. My main DVD recorder won't even write to those type of disc's. I have a burner that is supposed to, but U-Lead compresses the file anyway, so only half, often less than half the disc is even burned to. Crazy deal.

well it just occurred to me that since I somehow compressed the original 127 minutes onto a DVD, 120 DVD the music got lost..... that at least makes sense....

Why the stupid software doesn't open a film as a complete file or string of video files I have no idea... that would be too easy

Message was edited by: drednm

Ed,

That shouldn't make any difference. What audio format you are using encoding to though can make a difference because, some file types are much larger than others. Use MP-3, to conserve space.

I didn't pay any attention to the audio. I assumed it went along where the video files went since I opened the film as a whole

Ed,

Every program is different. With Super it not only asks you what audio format you want to use, but also the bit-rate and the sampling frequency. Obviously the higher the numbers the less space that you will have. Same with video. You at least have been able to tint a movie now. I have never done that before.

Yes but I got nowhere with my next try.... why are the programs so complicated? Every other DVD ripper thing I use is quite easy. But these movie "editors" are counter intuitive and seem not to use any logic. They also don't tell you WHY something isn't working.

Ed,

I have never really used any Fancy editors. I have experimented with stuff like Photo-shop Elements before for Video and got know where with it.

The good news about THE PATENT LEATHER KID is we know that it has already been restored, because I have confirmation of that from people on Nitrateville. They just need to record a music score.

It would be nice if one program did everything but I've never found that to be the case, whether for films, music, graphics, writing, etc. I've always used multiple programs and had to tweak things through trial and error. I know it's frustrating. Even now I sometimes experience setbacks.

I would recommend AC3 audio (that's also called Dolby Digital) or MP2 audio for DVD encoding and multiplexing. Full MPEG audio has the best sound but with a 4 gig movie already most MPEG music files are an extra gig and then they don't fit on a standard DVD-R. In the few cases where I have used it however I definitely notice a quality difference. The sound is fuller and richer.

Well Jeff that's good news about restoration but who is doing it? and will it ever be released on DVD?

Richard Barthelmess seems to be another of those major stars of his time who is practically forgotten now, despite two Oscar nominations. When TCM runs his talkies now, they run *The Cabin in the Cotton* for Bette Davis or *Heroes for Sale* for Loretta Young.

As for his silent films, aside from the Griffith films and *Tol'able David,* not much ever surfaces.

I've never seen them play Tol'able David, not since I got TCM around 2003 or so. It's public domain and has a nice Robert Israel soundtrack that I'm sure he'd let them use so I don't understand what the problem is there. I agree: TCM has a real blind spot when it comes to Richard Barthelmess.