Sign in to follow this  
Guest dredagain

Richard Barthelmess in JUST SUPPOSE and THE DROP KICK

55 posts in this topic

Well I think *Tol'able David* is a superb film, one of the great silents, filled with all kinds of humor, solid performances, and as exciting as any old melodrama was meant to be. The location shooting is just perfect as as Richard Barthelmess as David and Ernest Torrence as the filthy villain. This film is everything a silent film should be: great actors, great music, visually interesting, and with a bang-up ending that would have anyone on the edge of his/her seat. Beautiful direction by Henry King.

It's a shame TCM doesn't air it. It would bring in a lot of new fans for Richard, that's for sure.

On another topic, I sure am glad tomorrow's star of the day is James Coburn, whom I have no interest in! I need a break from recording! I've been going practically non-stop since yesterday at 6am with the start of the James Mason tribute. I AM EXHAUSTED! lol

For once I'm NOT going to complain that "TCM shows too many modern films". Tomorrow I'm glad they are, so I can get some sleep! :)

Richard Barthelmess was truly talented and so underappreciated, I do wish his films were shown more often to hopefully attract new fans. The first time I watched Way Down East (1920), it was to see Lillian Gish, but Richard's performance was so good, I started watching as many of his films as I could find. I would love to see him with Dorothy Gish, but as far as I know their only surviving film is The Bright Shawl (1923) and it sounds so interesting!

• Like 2

Richard Barthelmess was truly talented and so underappreciated, I do wish his films were shown more often to hopefully attract new fans. The first time I watched Way Down East (1920), it was to see Lillian Gish, but Richard's performance was so good, I started watching as many of his films as I could find. I would love to see him with Dorothy Gish, but as far as I know their only surviving film is The Bright Shawl (1923) and it sounds so interesting!

Yeah, it's a real shame TCM removed The Patent Leather Kid from the schedule. I got to see it last year and was very impressed by Barthelmess. He isn't the kind of guy you think of when you think of a boxer, but he played the role very well. I hope more people get to see it in the future.

• Like 2

Yeah, it's a real shame TCM removed The Patent Leather Kid from the schedule. I got to see it last year and was very impressed by Barthelmess. He isn't the kind of guy you think of when you think of a boxer, but he played the role very well. I hope more people get to see it in the future

I wonder why they removed it, I would love to see it. Yes, boxer is not what I'd normally think of him as, but I can definitely see where he could pull it off, he could play such a variety of characters. He could be very intense, but he did it subtly which is very difficult to do.