FItzMularkey

Films Which Are Considered Classics Which You Can't Stand.

165 posts in this topic

How about foreign classics? Stars of Eger is frequently listed as one of Hungary's best/ most important films and I thought it was one of the worst films I've ever seen.

MV5BYTA5YmMwYzMtZWU4Yi00MDVkLWE4NzMtODk5

Just now, LawrenceA said:

There's a lot of those that I could list. Marketa LazarovaUmbrellas of CherbourgThe Young Girls of Rochefort2 or 3 Things I Know About HerAndrei RublevMother India...

Absolutely agree about Umbrellas and most Demy films in general. Way too saccharine and cute. 🤮

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Okay. Now I'm "seriously wrong".:lol:

And to prove it, I like every movie you listed to some degree, although I haven't seen My Dinner with Andre.

I've seen hundreds of studio-era films that I didn't like, but they aren't generally considered classics, either.

I've seen 5153 movies released from 1929 to 1965, incidentally. 

Related image

I can usually figure out, when I know in general what a movie is about, whether

I want to see it or not. I'm about 90% certain I wouldn't want to see The Sound of Muzak,

The Unsinkable Molly Brown (the dumb title is enough of a clue), Gigi, etc. I also stay

away from those overlong Biblical epics like The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, etc. I've

never seen a Shirley Temple film and don't plan to. The same goes for Astaire and Rogers.

No doubt they're very talented hoofers, but I just ain't interested. I did watch Mister

Smith Goes to Washington when it was last on, only because I hadn't seen it in about

20 years. Pretty cornball, which does lead to some unintended comedy. 

2 hours ago, Peebs said:

Hmm, I wonder why?   The whole training Gigi to be a courtesean or "Thank Heavens for Little Girls"?  I've always liked "Gigi":  Leslie Caron is adorable, she and Louis Jordan have a nice chemistry, there's some catchy songs, and it has Hermione Gingold.   

I have the same reaction to Gigi that I have with the three Big Time comedies that Hepburn made with Tracy.  Love Leslie Caron, and love Katharine Hepburn, but Maurice Chevalier's act wears thin immediately, and AFAIC Hepburn should've stuck with Cary Grant.

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

Okay. Now I'm "seriously wrong".:lol:

And to prove it, I like every movie you listed to some degree, although I haven't seen My Dinner with Andre.

I've seen hundreds of studio-era films that I didn't like, but they aren't generally considered classics, either.

I've seen 5153 movies released from 1929 to 1965, incidentally. 

I think I stopped counting somewhere between 3000 and 4000, though I've recorded over 5000 and haven't stopped yet.   And if you've actually liked every "classic" you've seen, then you're a better man than I am.

But I kind of get where you're coming from, since I can't think of a single noir I genuinely loathe, unless Shadow of a Doubt or The Stranger fall into that category.  And if they all came with Eddie Muller's introductions and commentaries, I could watch them over and over again, whether they were considered "classics" or just "B" movie fillers.  Eddie Muller is TCM's genuine superstar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peebs said:

One of the TCM hosts said that the original ending had her going to a baseball game with Tracy and enjoying it but it didn't test well.

That would have been a good ending. I love the Baseball game scene in the earlier part of the film.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

That would have been a good ending. I love the Baseball game scene in the earlier part of the film.

Since the husband only wanted his wife to meet him halfway (I.e. he didn't wish for a traditional domesticated wife,  but he didn't want someone where their job was #1 (all consuming) either)  ending with a Baseball scene would have worked well, BUT,  it might have been too sophisticated for 40s audiences.

Having that over-the-top,  Kate-as-a-complete-failure-of-a-domesticated-wife and all that follows made the point like a sledge hammer.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2019 at 3:31 PM, NipkowDisc said:

2001 a space odyssey

Yes!!!  Makes me want to yell 'get on with it!' or at least pull some dialogue out of someone's mouth.  I get it--lots of pretty colors (but you can stop a silent like The Crowd, and find stills that look like perfectly composed art) and I hate that if you find it painfully slow and boring, you're told you just don't get the whole dawn of life to star child in -what may or may not be-- an infinite universe, blah blah blah.   And I can't stand the Blue Danube Waltz....

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

There's something seriously wrong if you've watched several thousand movies and you can't find plenty of high-rated classics you don't like.  Here are a few of my all time fingernails on a blackboard:

Seven Brides For Seven Brothers (Post-1933 musicals in general are godawful, but this is the worst of the worst. Howard Keel's singing is almost as unnerving as Donald Trump's tweeting.)

The Graduate (generational pandering on steroids)

Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (Right, this is just how things work in Washington!)

Shadow of a Doubt (How dense can all those relatives be?  Does Uncle Charlie have to wear a sign around his neck saying "I AM A PSYCHOPATH WHO DOESN'T LIKE ANSWERING QUESTIONS" for them to figure him out?)

The Stranger (see comment for Shadow of a Doubt)

Bonnie and Clyde (Oh, those poor, misunderstood fashionista gangsters!)

Easy Rider (Oh, those poor, misunderstood drug dealers!)

Touch of Evil (Charlton Heston should have stuck to his six hour Bible movies)

Woman of the Year (A more appropriate title would be Masochist of the Year, meaning in this case Tess.)

My Dinner With Andre (It's like eavesdropping on Marianne Williamson having dinner with David Brooks.)

I guess ten is enough.  I could've just listed pretty much every Hollywood biopic, every sappy musical, and any movie featuring Mickey Rooney where he didn't wind up either dead or in jail, but my momma always told me it's not nice to pick the wings off flies. 😎

Your list was a riot and I totally agree with it. But, my favorite part was: "Every Hollywood biopic, every sappy musical and any movie featuring Mickey Rooney where he doesn't end up dead or in jail." As the years go by and TCM drags in ONE MORE PERSON to say:  "Mickey Rooney was the most talented person in Hollywood" I find myself wanting to scream  --  Are you kidding??? Mickey Rooney = Obnoxious Narcissistic Ham.

• Thanks 2

2001 A Space Odyssey leaves me as cold as the characters in it. When a computer has the closest thing to a personality in a film you know you have a problem.

As I said to a friend when we exited a theatre having just seen the film, "They should have stuck with the monkeys."

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just meant this in the sense that this film has been around for so long, parodied countless times, it's cemented in pop culture.  "My Favorite Things" is a Christmas song for whatever reason. 

Uh, because it mentions "snowflakes" and "packages".  That's IT.  (Ohh, I feel your pain.  😡 )

10 hours ago, AndyM108 said:

Easy Rider (Oh, those poor, misunderstood drug dealers!)

Ohh, that painful 60's-film-school "trip" sequence!

On a lighter note--Breakfast at Tiffany's (the Mickey Rooney discussion reminded me):  Yes, Audrey looks lovely in opera gloves, but are we supposed to see her as "Free-spirited", "Tragic", or as just plain nutty as a rabid mongoose?

(A complaint I've similarly had about Katherine Hepburn in Bringing Up Baby, but that one was funnier.)

36 minutes ago, TomJH said:

2001 A Space Odyssey leaves me as cold as the characters in it. When a computer has the closest thing to a personality in a film you know you have a problem.

As I said to a friend when we exited a theatre having just seen the film, "They should have stuck with the monkeys."

*Nods sympathetically* Art direction and sound design to die for, but colder than Antarctica.

• Like 2

Dang - I can find something to like about just any movie; but if I had to throw out something, it would be 2001.  I remember seeing it the first time on a summer day at the Warner Cinerama theatre in Hollywood with my uncle.  He wanted to see the flick so bad and my Aunt wasn't interested so he asked me.  I was like 10 years old and was so excited to be on the outing with him - he was a really great guy.  We sat thru the first half and at intermission, we talked about it and we were both excited to be watching it.  Then the movie was over and we left with the other 2000 people and we walked back towards the car down Hollywood Blvd and we got to the corner and he turns to be and says "Do you have ANY idea what happened in that second half???"  I just laughed because he looked as confused as I did.  And to this day -- 51 years later -- I still can't watch that movie without laughing about the first time I saw it and my favorite uncle who took me to see it.  So see - even movies that you don't necessarily like, can create great memories.  Here's to you Uncle Gene!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I want to see it or not. I'm about 90% certain I wouldn't want to see The Sound of Muzak,

The Unsinkable Molly Brown (the dumb title is enough of a clue), Gigi, etc. I also stay

away from those overlong Biblical epics like The Ten Commandments, Ben-Hur, etc. I've

never seen a Shirley Temple film and don't plan to. The same goes for Astaire and Rogers.

I mean ... wow. You're gonna do what you're gonna do, but I feel like you're depriving yourself. If you really want to have a broad base appreciation of some of the big themes and threads of movie history, I feel like you ought to take in some of this material. You could suffer some of these movies just once, surely!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'm not sure of the age here, but it's a good way to tell other Millennial movie-phobes when they have symbolic ideas of movies in their imaginations just from a decade or a genre.  They're always "90% certain", but a great movie gets you with that 10% of uncertainty, and looking for that is how we grow up.  😁

For example, you may think you know what "Astaire & Rogers" is about, until you sit down for "Shall We Dance?" and find out just what a snarky overconfident wiseguy Fred could be in his movies, and how much Ginger could be a romcom-sparring-partner for him...Or are we just going to quote that feminist t-shirt/coffee-cup/bumper-sticker again?

Now, when I was a kid, the very idea of watching Shirley Temple was insulting (an idea mostly formed by Cindy Brady, when Jan & Marsha told him dad's client was really a Hollywood agent)...But, sitting down one night with an old movie channel, they were showing "Heidi", and--well, yes, her movies were corny, but little Shirl was such a trouper, she's in complete command of every movie she's in.  Later on, I found out that EVERY movie she made was a clone of "Heidi", so I felt I'd gotten the essential cross-section, but it didn't kill me to get that basic ground information.

• Like 1

Wow! Like Sewhite said, everyone should give some movies outside your bubble a try once in a while. I may not like a certain genre, but try watching the best example of that genre. It wouldn't be popular if it had no redeeming qualities. 

No Astaire, no Temple? I've seen their movies enrapture hard core goth boys - their eyes were glued to the screen.

My movie buddy has said "every movie is worth watching ONCE" and doing so has changed my opinion-especially when seeing them in a theater. Also some movies get better as you age....while some movies diminish. The movies don't change, you do.

19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

The same thing is true with Gone With the Wind.  I've never seen the film in its entirety, but I know all the famous scenes, I know how it ends, I know what happens, I feel like I've seen it.  Some day though, as God is my witness, I will sit and watch this film

That's how I felt about THE EXORCIST. When I finally saw it about 15 years ago, all the shock scenes just turned into another aspect of the story. And it turned out to be a pretty good story with tolerable gore effects.

Like 2001, when you put all the "parts" of GWTW together, it makes a pretty epic story. One guy I knew refused to see it because of the preconceived notion of Scarlett being a silly spoiled girl. He was sobbing by the intermission.

I find myself wanting to scream  --  Are you kidding??? Mickey Rooney = Obnoxious Narcissistic Ham.

Remember-those are the qualities needed to perform on stage in front of people. Maybe Mickey didn't know how to tone it down as well as others for the intimacy of the camera.

Well, the classic movies I'll never watch again already have been mentioned-

STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE- I loathe Brando in this especially. 

MR SMITH GOES TO WASHINGTON- dull, unbelievable & too corny for even me!

DR ZHIVAGO- an entire film that celebrates adultery

CASABLANCA, VERTIGO, THE THIRD MAN- I never "got" what was so great about these meh.

GODFATHER- terrible stereotype, terrible violence, terrible Brando

• Like 1

Several people have mentioned David Lean films in this thread.  Thank the Lord!  I cannot stand his bloated epics, "Dr. Zhivago" being a particular nightmare.  "Gee, can I pull my fingernails out one by one or watch "Dr. Zhivago? Either way, it's torture . . . "

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lydecker said:

Several people have mentioned David Lean films in this thread.  Thank the Lord!  I cannot stand his bloated epics, "Dr. Zhivago" being a particular nightmare.  "Gee, can I pull my fingernails out one by one or watch "Dr. Zhivago? Either way, it's torture . . . "

I have no idea why, but I don't mind ZHIVAGO. Keep in mind though, I very often keep 10 hour youtube videos of thunderstorms or rain on a tin roof going for just for funsies.

it is on TCM too much though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Peebs said:

That ending of "Woman of the Year"...oof.  I really enjoyed the movie up until Katherine Hepburn is stumbling around the kitchen. Painful.  One of the TCM hosts said that the original ending had her going to a baseball game with Tracy and enjoying it but it didn't test well.   

I think WOMAN OF THE YEAR is considered a successful film ONLY because of our parallel knowledge of the Hepburn/Tracy affair. Both main characters are egotists unworthy of the audience's sympathy.Nor can I see anything in the screenplay that suggests these two are worthy of each other's affection.

The handling of the orphan is appalling, by the characters and by the writers and director.  This is the point that should have turned the story, reformed the characters, etc. Instead, their problem is resolved by the woman's envy of her aunt's late-in-life fulfillment, and this makes her free to be submissive to a fairly oafish pseudo-intellectual. They seal their bliss by laughing at her domestic ineptitude.

On 8/5/2019 at 10:56 PM, EricJ said:

I'm not the one who hijacked the thread, and I only wanted to wrap up the point--But only recently, I found out that "Grease" is now considered a, quote, "gay icon" movie, because the community sees it as a "hetero fantasy" of Greaser and T-Birds doin' it in the back seats at drive-in's...So, now, movies are, quote, "gay" for being "TOO straight"?  The rest of us will "mind our own danged business" when someone else learns how to first.

(And if I was on YouTube, I'd be in tears shouting "Leave 'Xanadu' alone!!! 😰"  😃 )

Y'know, there are some who would consider ANY movie made from a Broadway musical as a "gay icon" movie.  ;)

As for XANADU, I have NO problem leaving it alone.  To the point of ignoring it completely:D 

But as for GREASE, I know plenty straight guys who liked the movie.  And I thought it was OK too, but not the "great" movie a lot of others did. 

Sepiatone

On 8/5/2019 at 11:49 AM, Sepiatone said:

All who know me here also know BRINGING UP BABY churns my guts.   

NINOTCHKA too. 

And I thought  THE PHILADELPHIA STORY and the remake HIGH SOCIETY were quite the bore too.  

And I think I'm the only member here that doesn't care for VERTIGO.

Sepiatone

I'm not a fan of Vertigo either. I'm with you on your other choices as well. I can't stand Kathryn Hepburn.

• Thanks 1

But Janet....

I don't mind Hepburn all that much,  but there's few films of her's I like.  I won't bother trying to list them, I'll just say they can be counted on one hand, with a finger or two left over.  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brrrcold said:

I think WOMAN OF THE YEAR is considered a successful film ONLY because of our parallel knowledge of the Hepburn/Tracy affair. Both main characters are egotists unworthy of the audience's sympathy.Nor can I see anything in the screenplay that suggests these two are worthy of each other's affection.

The handling of the orphan is appalling,

Wouldn't that translate into other Tracy/Hepburn movies being as successful?  ("Sea of Grass", "Keeper of the Flame", and "Without Love" aren't as well-loved T/H vehicles).  I think Hepburn and Tracy have great chemistry on screen in "Woman of the Year."  Hepburn's haughty demeanor fits her famous, globe-trotting, worldly character who is out of touch with more normal aspects of life. Tracy is perfectly cast as a the sports writer who falls for her.  While the orphan storyline may seem odd it underscores how much influence her character had and how clueless she was to the immense responsibility she had to that child.  It was a wake-up call to Tracy's character that she didn't have the emotional capacity or room in her life for the child or for him. It's not a perfect movie but it's more than just gliding by on the lore of their real-life affair.  That ending though...yikes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind Dr. Zhivago at all, and in fact, almost like it.  Lawrence of Arabia, however, is another story, so I'll agree on that one.  Maybe I sit through Zhivago because I find Julie Christie and Geraldine Chaplin pleasant to watch.

I recall seeing it for the first time in college during Sunday Movie Night in the student union.  For some reason, the scene of Geraldine scurrying from the train in that pink confection drew roars of laughter.  Not sure why.  It was maybe 1975 or 1976