FItzMularkey

Films Which Are Considered Classics Which You Can't Stand.

165 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Whoa. It took a few readings for me to realize you meant the ACTOR in THE FILM. (not the moniker changing poster on these boards) Whew!

I changed my name to be more clear about being a fan of Michael Rennie on TV. Another poster poked fun at me for using the Rennie name and not wanting to watch The Day The Earth Stood Still. Actually, two posters. I keep the Rennie name in my avatar. Added it myself. Not bad since I only use a tablet.

(Still recovering from skin cancer surgery and not using my computer)

I will not need to do a name change ever again and seldom change my avatar. Why is this such a big deal?

• Confused 2

49 minutes ago, AlbertInTucson said:

For me, it's GIANT.

James Dean is just chewing up scenery

Oh, god, yes.  There are some nice moments, but Dean doing his "angst ridden young man" is always horrible.  It's "the method" on steroids!  

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2019 at 5:17 PM, Nightbird311 said:

Hi.  I’m new around here—well, not new to reading all the interesting reviews and comments, but new to posting myself.  This seemed like a good topic to jump into, as I know we all like giving our opinions on things we think are overrated (a word I don’t like and try not to use, as it usually just means “a movie most people like but you happen not to”).

Anyway, a classic that I really dislike is “How Green was My Valley,” and believe me I’ve watched 3 or 4 times, hoping that this time I will finally understand what is supposed to be so great about it.  The funny thing is, it’s a type of movie I generally like very much.  I love period dramas and films about families, and I generally like most John Ford films.  But, this one just leaves me cold; it starts out OK, but after about 30 minutes my eyes gradually start to glaze over.

I should hate you for that Nightbird, as it was my Grandmother's favorite movie.  Which gets us into another aspect of why some of us like some of the movies we do...  for instance---

I like that movie because my Grandmother did, but SHE loved it because it was a sort of portrayal of her life.  She too, grew up in a mining town( Hermanie, PA) and had brothers and a Father who were coal miners too.  I watched it for my first time at her house one night, and she was helpful in explaining a lot of what the coal mining terms and activities were all about.  But too, I could do without all that business between Maureen O'Hara and Walter Pidgeon,  but then I have NO problem doing without Pidgeon anytime!  ;) 

And add me to the SOUND OF MUSIC haters club.  I couldn't stand it either.  But, my wife LOVED it, but knowing I didn't, she never minded that I put on the headphones( and music) or buried my face in a book whenever she watched it.   :)  But then, she'd do the same whenever I put in THE LONGEST DAY.  ;) 

Sepiatone

3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I would love to see PAT AND MIKE remade, but with lesbians.

(Dead serious.)

Well, it's golf so....

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

PAT AND MICHELLE??

I don't even know if you'd have to change the title of the film.  Remember Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis' characters named Roy and Stanley in In This Our Life ?

Nancy Drew's female friend is named George! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I don't even know if you'd have to change the title of the film.  Remember Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis' characters named Roy and Stanley in In This Our Life ?

Liz Scott's character in Dead Reckoning was called Mike.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

True.

Castings thoughts for the female Pat and Mike?

I'm thinking Charlize Theron in the Mike role.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RoyCronin said:

Castings thoughts for the female Pat and Mike?

I'm thinking Charlize Theron in the Mike role.

Cate Blanchett would be perfect for the Pat role.   In fact she already somewhat played the part in the film The Aviator.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

And for the record: I hated Roger Rabbit walking out of the theater. I couldn't believe everyone else loved it. Then they said, "It was great seeing all my favorite charactors again." to which I replied: hollow gimmick. Bob Hoskins great acting couldn't even save it.

Also, back in the late 80's, we were literally just discovering wacky MGM Tex Avery (I remember being in a college-town theater seeing some of Tex's cartoons for the first time when it had cartoon festivals in the early 80's, and you can imagine the audience's reaction), and attaching them to our Childhood Boomer Craze that was being celebrated with Mid-80's Classic Reruns.  

Zemeckis apparently believed that EVERY cartoon ever made was a shrieking, eye-bugging, anvil-dropping Tex Avery cartoon, and when he had to fit Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny into that view (we can believe that Bugs wouldn't help Hoskins as he was falling from a building, but Mickey??), the gimmick seemed even more hollow.  "Roger Rabbit" felt like the Space Jam of Disney characters.  😰

On 8/7/2019 at 4:29 PM, EricJ said:

and Robert Zemeckis's later disturbingly-unhinged fling with CGI has not since softened my sanity diagnoses of The Loudest Movie Ever Made--but at least that's an opinion formed from experience.  Like the Vietnam vets told the protestors, you weren't there, man.]

I don't know, Roger Rabbit is loud even on TV, but the biggest ruckus I ever heard in a film was 2011's kiddie film Cars 2. All sound and fury, and no reason to sit through it all. It was like sitting before a sonic boom for almost 2 hours. my ears ached.

10 hours ago, AlbertInTucson said:

For me, it's GIANT.

James Dean is just chewing up scenery

I normally don't add to threads like this because I can find some good in almost any decent film. But, this one is a slog. I've never sat and watched it from beginning to end. I never complain about films being too long. But, it seems this one could be summed up in 30 mins or less.

There are the moments, like when Liz buts in on the "men talk", but, what about the looooong pauses in between when basically nothing is going on ? Probably works better as a travelogue.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I don't know, Roger Rabbit is loud even on TV, but the biggest ruckus I ever heard in a film was 2011's kiddie film Cars 2. All sound and fury, and no reason to sit through it all. It was like sitting before a sonic boom for almost 2 hours. my ears ached.

Cars 2 made me want to gouge out my eyes. The only reason I "watched" it was because I was babysitting my cousin at the time. 

"Cars" was enough for me.  I didn't feel the need to see the sequel.  But public interest has always been a curious thing to me.  I really couldn't understand the need for more than ONE "Transformers" movie.  Nor the "oversaturation" of X-Men  flicks.  And while in the thread( and so on the subject) of "Films which are considered "classics" etc.", one film( and it's sequels) which aren't "classics" in the TCM sense, but WILL be considered so if the public and some film critics get their way, and too, that I can't stand, is LORD OF THE RINGS.  

Now, many here will say, "The movie is NEVER as good as the book!", But I disagree.  I found the trilogy of these movies based on the novel by J. R. R. TOLKIEN to be every bit as boring as the book.  :rolleyes:

Sepiatone

15 hours ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Cars 2 made me want to gouge out my eyes. The only reason I "watched" it was because I was babysitting my cousin at the time. 

I sat through it in the theatre. sigh. The only things that really clicked for me were the vocal performances from Michael Caine and Emily Mortimer. The strange thing is I liked the first Cars, even if it was just a remake of Doc Hollywood (which was the better film).

Dr. Strangelove.  It has its moments here and there and perhaps it's Peter Sellers overload but I never got all the hype about it.

fbutthop7kn8ekfct9cx.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I sat through it in the theatre. sigh. The only things that really clicked for me were the vocal performances from Michael Caine and Emily Mortimer. The strange thing is I liked the first Cars, even if it was just a remake of Doc Hollywood (which was the better film).

There's a long, long story about why Cars 2 was made, what movie it was originally SUPPOSED to be, and why the one we got evokes such feelings of murderous frenzy, but--as I started to type it out then deleted it--that's for another time, or on request.

Cars 3 was an intentional "apology" for Cars 2, but I found that one...ehh.  (The new girl-car was just Dory With an Engine.)  FMM, Planes: Fire & Rescue (2014) was the enjoyable Cars sequel.  😃

14 hours ago, Joe Gillis said:

Dr. Strangelove.  It has its moment here and there and perhaps it's Peter Sellers overload but I never got all the hype about it.

See also Lolita (1962)--I don't hate it but when Sellers cuts loose he completely wrecks the mood and narrative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wouldn't call this one a "classic," but it's one a lot of people seem to love: The Matrix. I couldn't get into it at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/5/2019 at 12:37 PM, Joe Gillis said:

2001, A Space Odyssey.  Incredible art direction and SFX but the bad acting and silly, almost incomprehensible story line come together to create the most tedious, snooze-inducing film of all time. No wonder you had to be high to appreciate it!  Never got it and I had my opinion re-confirmed when it aired on TCM for what seems the millionth time in July.

Ground-breaking special effects, to be sure, but the producers' fascination with those effects results in the pace of the story being reduced to an absolute crawl. First saw it as a teen and was disappointed. Unlike many other films I saw, and didn't appreciate until I was older (Bridge On The River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia to name two), the ensuing years have only confirmed my initial reaction to 2001, A Space Odyssey.

• Like 1