JakeHolman

How Disney's New Bundle Instantly Changes The Streaming Landscape For Everyone

100 posts in this topic

On 10/16/2019 at 9:25 PM, speedracer5 said:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

It is ridiculous that Disney refuses to release Song of the South (yes I know it's available elsewhere, I've seen a Canadian release of it), but they have an entire ride at Disneyland based on it.

On Karina Longworth's podcast "You Must Remember This" http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes

(all podcasters carry it. I highly recommend her podcast, its excellent. I use the Stitcher app)

She just posted the first episode on her series about Song of the South (1946),   She gives lots of background on how and why it Walt Disney produced it, background on the author of the book, some of the protests( or lack there of), and other details that can give a much better understanding of the film during its time.

I figure since this film seems to be such a hot button topic around here, some might be interested in it.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be a Smart TV app (I don't have Apple TV), but I do own the two gaming consoles that support Disney+, so I guess I'm taken care of there.  I am more annoyed that the Hulu that is packaged with the Disney/Hulu bundle is the Hulu with ads. That is a big n-o from me. 

Disney may add a smart TV app closer to launch. I also think there will be a fix for Hulu w/o ads in the combo.

I use to play Microsoft Flight for Windows. It is the version where I could fly the Icon A5 in Hawaii. It could land on water. Microsoft cancelled it.

Bringing it back on their console would get my attention.

proto1a3.jpg

17 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

On Karina Longworth's podcast "You Must Remember This" http://www.youmustrememberthispodcast.com/episodes

(all podcasters carry it. I highly recommend her podcast, its excellent. I use the Stitcher app)

She just posted the first episode on her series about Song of the South (1946),   She gives lots of background on how and why it Walt Disney produced it, background on the author of the book, some of the protests( or lack there of), and other details that can give a much better understanding of the film during its time.

I figure since this film seems to be such a hot button topic around here, some might be interested in it.

I just listened to that episode this morning! I didn't realize that there was so much to say about Song of the South that it warrants a full season (however many episodes that will entail), but it was interesting.  I am curious to hear what she says about the black minstrel shows. 

Just now, speedracer5 said:

I just listened to that episode this morning! I didn't realize that there was so much to say about it that it warrants a full season (however many episodes that will entail), but it was interesting.  I am curious to hear what she says about the black minstrel shows. 

She's calling it "Six degrees" so I figure there might be six episodes. The next might be about Hattie McDaniel.

Oh I don't doubt this at all. Look at how much interest it has gathered just on these boards. I would take a while to unravel all that was behind that production. And the aftermath.

I like it that way. Take the time to lay it all out.

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

She's calling it "Six degrees" so I figure there might be six episodes. The next might be about Hattie McDaniel.

Oh I don't doubt this at all. Look at how much interest it has gathered just on these boards. I would take a while to unravel all that was behind that production. And the aftermath.

I like it that way. Take the time to lay it all out.

I've seen the movie, so it's nice to be able to put some visuals behind the specific scenes she's discussing.  I do like Hattie, so I'll be interested to hear what she says about her.

I do think it's funny how Disney is so vehemently against releasing Song of the South from the vault, yet they have an entire ride, Splash Mountain, based on the characters from the film.  I was happy to hear Karina acknowledge that contradiction in her introduction. 

Right now I have her book about Howard Hughes sitting in my library pile.  I'm reading Tori Spelling's autobiography right now, so hopefully I'll be able to get to Karina's book before I have to return it. 

6 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

It's annoying that there doesn't seem to be a Smart TV app (I don't have Apple TV), but I do own the two gaming consoles that support Disney+, so I guess I'm taken care of there.  I am more annoyed that the Hulu that is packaged with the Disney/Hulu bundle is the Hulu with ads. That is a big n-o from me. 

Which two?  I haven't checked to see whether Playstation 4 has theirs yet.

26 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wait, book? I thought you were talking about a podcast. What's the title of the book?

The song of the south is an episode of “You Must Remember This” podcast. Karina Longworth, host of the podcast, wrote a book about Howard Hughes. 

• Thanks 1

I started reading a new(ish) book about Hughes and the old Hollywood casting couch system. Maybe one particular ingenue was being focused on. I wasn't sure where it was going, but I never finished it. Not sure if that would be the same book. I will have to dig around and see if I still have it.

32 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Wait, book? I thought you were talking about a podcast. What's the title of the book?

You really should listen to the podcast. She must have close to 100 episodes at this point. In an earlier year, she did a series of episodes on Howard Hughes on the podcast. Then she decided to write a full book about Howard Hughes.

Now, she is focusing on Song of the South. She pulls no punches. Its a good listen.

• Thanks 1

You really should listen to the podcast. She must have close to 100 episodes at this point. In an earlier year, she did a series of episodes on Howard Hughes on the podcast. Then she decided to write a full book about Howard Hughes.

Now, she is focusing on Song of the South. She pulls no punches. Its a good listen.

I liked her series on dead Hollywood blondes. The Barbara Payton episode is one of my favorites. 

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I liked her series on dead Hollywood blondes. The Barbara Payton episode is one of my favorites. 

That was when I first found her podcast, I listened to that one first. Then I went and listened to them all except the Manson series. I did like star wars and the one on the black list. But, then I like them all.

That was when I first found her podcast, I listened to that one first. Then I went and listened to them all except the Manson series. I did like star wars and the one on the black list. But, then I like them all.

I’ve listened to half of the Manson series. I’m glad she stopped with the impressions of celebrities. That really took something away from the podcast. The only impression I liked was the John Huston one. The Errol Flynn one was terrible. 

34 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I’ve listened to half of the Manson series. I’m glad she stopped with the impressions of celebrities. That really took something away from the podcast. The only impression I liked was the John Huston one. The Errol Flynn one was terrible. 

I can imagine you would be a bit picky about that one. I didn't mind, its the stories I care about. At least the voices let me know who is supposed to be talking. I don't ask much from podcasts since there's not too much money in them.

On 10/22/2019 at 1:32 PM, Dr. Somnambula said:

Disney may add a smart TV app closer to launch. I also think there will be a fix for Hulu w/o ads in the combo.

I use to play Microsoft Flight for Windows. It is the version where I could fly the Icon A5 in Hawaii. It could land on water. Microsoft cancelled it.

Bringing it back on their console would get my attention.

proto1a3.jpg

Okay, quoting myself is a wee bit odd, but here is the new flight simulator coming from Microsoft for Xbox. Maybe TCM will create a game some day.

10 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

Okay, quoting myself is a wee bit odd, but here is the new flight simulator coming from Microsoft for Xbox. Maybe TCM will create a game some day.

TCM has a Scene-It branded board game.  There are two Scene-It games on XBox 360 and another Scene-It game available in the XBox store.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

I found a DVD version of this game on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Scene-DVD-Game-Classic-Channel/dp/B000XW7HF6

That’s the board game. You put the dvd in to answer questions while you move around the board. Frankly, I’d just do away with the board part and just answer the questions. 

58 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

That’s the board game. You put the dvd in to answer questions while you move around the board. Frankly, I’d just do away with the board part and just answer the questions. 

It sounds like fun. I hope it isn't too easy. I do have family members too young to be experts. Oh wait. Maybe me too.

On 10/22/2019 at 7:13 PM, speedracer5 said:

The song of the south is an episode of “You Must Remember This” podcast. Karina Longworth, host of the podcast, wrote a book about Howard Hughes. 

‘You Must Remember This’ Host Talks ‘Song of the South,’ the Disney Movie That Won’t Be Released on Disney Plus

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/song-of-the-south-disney-plus-you-must-remember-this-podcast-karina-longworth-1203379940/

:)

55 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

‘You Must Remember This’ Host Talks ‘Song of the South,’ the Disney Movie That Won’t Be Released on Disney Plus

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/song-of-the-south-disney-plus-you-must-remember-this-podcast-karina-longworth-1203379940/

:)

I know people want to see it because it's Disney and has been in the "Vault" for so long that there's probably a curiosity about it.  I've seen it, I didn't think it was that great? The best part about it is the "Zip a Dee Doo Dah" song and the animated parts.  I don't even like the ride based on it. I always try to avoid it if I can.

I've seen it once, I don't really need to see it again. I thought it was kind of boring.

The real travesty is that "Donald Duck in Math Magic Land" is missing from streaming.

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

What's noticeable about this new streaming service is that Fox is barely represented.

They have the Fox family films (for those, thank you, who spent the 90's thinking Ferngully was a, quote, "Disney" film because it had songs and Robin Williams was in it), and Star Wars Ep. IV has now rejoined the rest of the Disney Lucasfilm canon.

18 hours ago, EricJ said:

They have the Fox family films (for those, thank you, who spent the 90's thinking Ferngully was a, quote, "Disney" film because it had songs and Robin Williams was in it), and Star Wars Ep. IV has now rejoined the rest of the Disney Lucasfilm canon.

Mmm., Anastasia was also often mistaken for a Disney film as well. I don't know, I have this sort of perverse longing for Disney to accidentally drop something like 1989's The War of the Roses on this service just for a little jolt of controversy.