Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Danny Kaye

44 posts in this topic

Tiki, Tom also likes The Court Jester a lot. I hope you enjoy it, if not, he can take some of the blame too LOL.

If you remember dear Kyle from years ago, The Court Jester was one of his favorite films. Kyle use to post about the Court Jester and always gave it rave reviews.

All I can say is, to each his own. For me, it's a very funny film and the cast is great.

• Like 2

The Bogart film All Thru The Night is considered a comedy, mystery. There are lots of comedic moments throughout the film. There's a scene with Bogart and William Demerest, they go back and forth talking very fast in jiberish that's suppose to be german. Bogart certainly was capable of doing comedy and Kaye was more than capable doing drama.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

The Bogart film All Thru The Night is considered a comedy, mystery. There are lots of comedic moments throughout the film. There's a scene with Bogart and William Demerest, they go back and forth talking very fast in jiberish that's suppose to be german. Bogart certainly was capable of doing comedy and Kaye was more than capable doing drama.

I don't think I've seen this Bogart film.  Now I'm trying to think if I have it or not. It may have been part of a collection that I own...

EDIT:  I do have this film! It's part of a Bogart Gangster Film collection that I have.  I always get this film confused with They Drive By Night. Thanks for the recommendation. I will need to watch this film.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Tiki, Tom also likes The Court Jester a lot. I hope you enjoy it, if not, he can take some of the blame too LOL.

If you remember dear Kyle from years ago, The Court Jester was one of his favorite films. Kyle use to post about the Court Jester and always gave it rave reviews.

All I can say is, to each his own. For me, it's a very funny film and the cast is great.

I know this was directed at Tiki, but I responded to this anyway, re: The Court Jester. I have The Inspector General recorded. 

Apparently there's a big run on Danny Kaye movies at my library.  Every single Kaye film has a million holds on it. Maybe I'll look through Amazon for The Court Jester

With all this discussion about Kaye, I've been wanting to watch White Christmas. Too early? I think I watched it like 5 times last holiday season, but I waited at least until after Halloween. 

Thanks to you, Speed, and LAVENDER for reminding me of that movie(All Thru The Night).  Been too long since I saw it last.  Now, I gotta find a copy.  ;) 

Sepiatone

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

Thanks to you, Speed, and LAVENDER for reminding me of that movie(All Thru The Night).  Been too long since I saw it last.  Now, I gotta find a copy.  ;) 

Sepiatone

You're Welcome Sepia, wish I had known you wanted to see All Thru The Night. It was just on TCM this past Sunday morning and Speedy, They Drive By Night was also on TCM but in the middle of the night Sunday!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

You're Welcome Sepia, wish I had known you wanted to see All Thru The Night. It was just on TCM this past Sunday morning and Speedy, They Drive By Night was also on TCM but in the middle of the night Sunday!

Thank you Lav! I think I have both films.  I will need to find my copy of All Through the Night and place it on top of my ever growing stack of films to watch.  

Has anybody here seen Kraft Salutes Disneyland’s 25th Anniversary from 1980?  Hosted by Danny Kaye?  If not.  I highly recommend it.  That’s how I knew who he was and I have really loved him ever since and he was really wonderful as host and he did a really wonderful job too.  You could watch it on YouTube.  It’s from when it was on The Disney Channel as part of Vault Disney.  I hope you all love it and I need Danny Kaye as SOTM.  Everybody head on over to the Star Of The Month board and check out my request.

Thank you.

22 minutes ago, David Guercio said:

Has anybody here seen Kraft Salutes Disneyland’s 25th Anniversary from 1980?  Hosted by Danny Kaye?  If not.  I highly recommend it.  That’s how I knew who he was and I have really loved him ever since and he was really wonderful as host and he did a really wonderful job too.  You could watch it on YouTube.  It’s from when it was on The Disney Channel as part of Vault Disney.  I hope you all love it and I need Danny Kaye as SOTM.  Everybody head on over to the Star Of The Month board and check out my request.

Thank you.

I haven't seen a Disneyland tribute, but Danny Kaye's 1982 video celebrating the opening of EPCOT at Disney World, was definitely...something.  It even features a very young Drew Barrymore.

6 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I dislike Danny Kaye but have requested this title based on your recommendation.

I too am not much of a Kaye fan, but I liked The Court Jester.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I know this was directed at Tiki, but I responded to this anyway, re: The Court Jester. I have The Inspector General recorded. 

Apparently there's a big run on Danny Kaye movies at my library.  Every single Kaye film has a million holds on it. Maybe I'll look through Amazon for The Court Jester

With all this discussion about Kaye, I've been wanting to watch White Christmas. Too early? I think I watched it like 5 times last holiday season, but I waited at least until after Halloween. 

I'm not cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs over Danny Kaye, but I do enjoy him in "White Christmas".  As a genre, musicals aren't really my bag, but if I were pressed to pick 5 favorites, "White Christmas" would be one of them.  The dancing by Kaye and Vera-Ellen is excellent, and just about every song in it is memorable.  The best things, happen while you're dancing....

12 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I dislike Danny Kaye but have requested this title based on your recommendation.

The Court Jester (1955) is great precisely because his usual shtick is kept to a minimum (due to what cause I cannot say).  As a result, we get to see Kaye's other considerable abilities in dialog, and characterization.  The dialog is brilliant, deft, hilarious.  And it's delightfully delivered by a cast of pros who know their stuff.  Witness:  Glynis Johns, Basil Rathbone, Angela Lansbury, Cecil Parker, and Mildred Natwick.  Add to this also a lot of fine songs by Sammy Cahn and Sylvia Fine:

"I had a little bow, and I learned to shoot.

I had a little horn, and I learned to toot.

Now I can shoot and toot, ain't I cute?"---(how did that get by the censors?)

There's a lot more than the famous pellet-with-the-poison scene.  I'm tempted to post a couple of links to clips with them, but I don't want to deprive you of the pleasure seeing them in the movie.  

Come to think of it, I was wondering what I was going to watch tonight. . . .

• Like 3

10 hours ago, slaytonf said:

Now I can shoot and toot, ain't I cute?"---(how did that get by the censors?)

Haha that reminds me of another howler line in a movie song (what movie?) where the song is about being yourself and the singer says, "Some like to pitch, while other like to catch" or something to that effect. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:43 PM, slaytonf said:

The Court Jester (1955) is great precisely because his usual shtick is kept to a minimum (due to what cause I cannot say).  As a result, we get to see Kaye's other considerable abilities in dialog, and characterization.  The dialog is brilliant, deft, hilarious.  And it's delightfully delivered by a cast of pros who know their stuff.  

There's a lot more than the famous pellet-with-the-poison scene.  I'm tempted to post a couple of links to clips with them, but I don't want to deprive you of the pleasure seeing them in the movie.  

John Landis covered it neatly, if giving away unsatisfying hints of the good stuff, on Trailers From Hell:

(Particularly the climax:  "All of a sudden, looks like George Pal directed the movie!" 😄 )

1 minute ago, David Guercio said:

How did Danny Kaye die and what did he die from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Kaye#Death

Kaye died of heart failure on March 3, 1987, aged 76, brought on by internal bleeding and complications of hepatitis C. Kaye had quadruple bypass heart surgery in February 1983; he contracted hepatitis C from a blood transfusion.

The Five Pennies Poster

Been waiting a couple decades for TCM to air “The Five Pennies” (1959) but apparently it isn’t going to happen – such a shame.  :unsure:

Until recently, his TV show was in reruns. He did a skit with Clint Eastwood and Fess Parker that was really funny and one in color with Fred Gwynne in full Herman Munster costume. I liked the show more than his films.

I liked the movies before his TV variety show.  Saw many of them before the TV show came about.  I remember that Eastwood/Parker skit.  He did a couple of good ones too with BUDDY EBSEN when Ebsen was a guest.  And too, it's when I became a sort of HARVEY KORMAN fan, and was delighted to see him return to TV on THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW. 

Not only was(still am) I a fan of Kaye's movies, but too, grew in admiration of him due to his tireless involvement with various humanitarian charities.  I remember a PBS telecast of Danny Kaye conducting a symphony orchestra( the New Yourk symphony I think) and at the end of the show a scroll listing the charities he worked with and the awards he received for his work with them began.  I watched it for about three or four minutes, got up and went to take a leak,and when I came back, the scroll was STILL running and went on for about FIVE MINUTES MORE! :o 

Now some here can, if they wish, debate or argue on whether or not Danny Kaye was a "great" talent or performer.  But, there's NO debating his being a great HUMAN BEING.

Sepiatone

• Like 3