Sign in to follow this  
David Guercio

Danny Kaye

44 posts in this topic

We’re all really hoping they have Danny Kaye as Star Of The Month sometime.  Has he ever been Star Of The Month before or will it be a very first time for him?

(No, see, David, "We" is a plural pronoun, it refers to a large group of people besides you.)

He's never been SOTM, but Here's Hoping! :)

41 minutes ago, Fedya said:

We are?

Yes, as in "Me, and my fantasy world".  That's plural.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fedya said:

We are?

Well, I "are" anyway, Fedya.

Ya see, I've always thought of Danny as kind of being like Jerry Lewis, but with REAL talent not only in physical comedy, and yes, over-the-top mugging just like Jerry, but also in the fields of singing and dancing. Danny Kaye was truly a multi-talented guy. Jerry couldn't carry Danny's jock strap, as they say, in the latter two fields.

Also loved how Danny was so adept at linguistic "juggling", so to speak. Jerry wouldn't have been able to pull off Danny's famous quick-talking "Russian Composers" routine in a million years.

(...and so in closing, and yeah sure, maybe comparing Danny with Jerry isn't the best argument in favor of a Danny Kaye SOTM tribute, BUT like I said, I "are" hoping for one to happen in the future, anyway)

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I vaguely recall watching and enjoying The Danny Kaye Show on television as a kid. Should there ever be a SOTM for the comedian it would be lovely if TCM included a revival of a few of his shows.

Kaye truly was multi-talented, though he does get on my nerves, I must admit, when his comedy gets a little too silly for my palate (such as when he indulges in baby talk, for example, or plays a little boy). But he was truly a linguistic king and THE COURT JESTER is one of the great movie spoofs. Kaye's final duel throughout a castle with Basil Rathbone is not only hilarious but an exhilarating athletic demonstration on the part of both participants (and Basil was over 60 when he did this).

And, remember, the vessel with the pestle has the brew that is true!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

And, the pellet with the poison's in the flagon with the dragon.

I agree, sometimes he can be too much. I've seen his films enough times to know in which scenes to go do something in another room.

3 hours ago, TomJH said:

I vaguely recall watching and enjoying The Danny Kaye Show on television as a kid. Should there ever be a SOTM for the comedian it would be lovely if TCM included a revival of a few of his shows.

Kaye truly was multi-talented, though he does get on my nerves, I must admit, when his comedy gets a little too silly for my palate (such as when he indulges in baby talk, for example, or plays a little boy). But he was truly a linguistic king and THE COURT JESTER is one of the great movie spoofs. Kaye's final duel throughout a castle with Basil Rathbone is not only hilarious but an exhilarating athletic demonstration on the part of both participants (and Basil was over 60 when he did this).

I love the Court Jester, I always have a good laugh whenever I see the film. We've talked about this film before, the duel scene between Kaye and Rathbone was hilarious. Each time Kaye changes from bravedo to cowardice and back again, it's priceless. For me, as far as Danny's comedies go, The Court Jester is first rate and my favorite. Wish it was shown more often.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I love the Court Jester, I always have a good laugh whenever I see the film. We've talked about this film before, the duel scene between Kaye and Rathbone was hilarious. Each time Kaye changes from bravedo to cowardice and back again, it's priceless. For me, as far as Danny's comedies go, The Court Jester is first rate and my favorite. Wish it was shown more often.

I haven't seen any other Kaye comedy that I particularly liked but The Court Jester has to rank as a classic. Kaye was truly at a peak when he made this costume adventure satire. And the film benefits immeasurably, as well, with the casting of Basil Rathbone as Ravenhurst, playing it straight (he leaves the comedy to others) but overdoing his villainy just enough to let us know he's poking fun at his own costume villains from the 1930s.

I wonder if either Power or Flynn saw this film and how they may have responded to it.

Danny+Kaye+and+Basil+Rathbone+-+The+Cour

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I haven't seen any other Kaye comedy that I particularly liked but The Court Jester has to rank as a classic.

My first taste of Danny Kaye in feature films (exclusive of his old TV variety program, that is) came courtesy of an old afternoon television matinee movie series in L.A. when I was a teenager back in '60s. The film I caught was Wonder Man (1945).

The Oscar winning special effects help tell the story of a shy and retiring bookworm who's visited by the ghost of his murdered twin brother, a night club entertainer who runs afoul of gangsters.

(...and another very entertaining movie of Danny's, I always thought)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I love Danny Kaye.  I haven't seen very many of his films however.  He's one of the best parts about White Christmas and shows off both his comedic and dancing skills.  I also loved him in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  I thought that that film was excellent.

Off screen, Kaye did a lot of charity work and was apparently also a gourmet Chinese food chef, to the point where he was teaching classes. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I haven't seen any other Kaye comedy that I particularly liked but The Court Jester has to rank as a classic. Kaye was truly at a peak when he made this costume adventure satire. And the film benefits immeasurably, as well, with the casting of Basil Rathbone as Ravenhurst, playing it straight (he leaves the comedy to others) but overdoing his villainy just enough to let us know he's poking fun at his own costume villains from the 1930s.

I wonder if either Power or Flynn saw this film and how they may have responded to it.

Danny+Kaye+and+Basil+Rathbone+-+The+Cour

I'm sure Power and Flynn both had a great sense of humor and probably both loved the film. From what I've read, Rathbone was very impressed with Danny's ability with a sword. Kaye had only studied fencing for a couple of weeks before he had to fence with Basil. Power and Flynn would be equally impressed by that, is my guess :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I love Danny Kaye.  I haven't seen very many of his films however.  He's one of the best parts about White Christmas and shows off both his comedic and dancing skills.  I also loved him in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty.  I thought that that film was excellent.

Off screen, Kaye did a lot of charity work and was apparently also a gourmet Chinese food chef, to the point where he was teaching classes. 

I'm also a fan of the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Danny was great in it and it's a very enjoyable film. He was known as a great humanitarian, worked for UNICEF on behalf of children around the world. I have a lot of respect for all Danny Kaye accomplished in his lifetime.

I've read that Danny Kaye was Bob Hope's and Humphrey Bogart's favorite comedian.

edited by me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Another 2 films that I'm fond of starring Danny Kaye are Hans Christian Anderson, it's such a sweet, charming film and Danny's versions of the beautiful songs in the film are great. Another film that shows Danny could do drama was The Five Pennies, the Red Nichols biopic. A very touching film.

While I do agree he could overdue it sometimes, I think he was a great talent.

• Like 3

OK---

First off, the OP might have been speaking for a group of friends, thus the "we're all".  

And so, as a long time fan of Kaye's, I wouldn't mind the SOTM consideration either.  I'm happy with any Danny Kaye flick, but my particular favorites are...

THE SECRET LIFE OF WALTER MITTY ( and 'cause I loved the Thurber story as a kid, not seeing the movie until I was 14)

A SONG IS BORN( and just above "Ball Of Fire", it's source)

HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN(although the real Hans looked more like GEORGE ARLISS as Disraeli)

WONDER MAN

THE INSPECTOR GENERAL  and....

THE FIVE PENNIES. 

THE COURT JESTER, although I like it, isn't among my top favorites.

I remember a PBS broadcast in the '70's of Kaye conducting an orchestra( can't recall which) as a comedic show benefiting a charity.  At the end a "scroll" was began that listed the various charities he worked for and received awards for working with.  At it's beginning, I took the opportunity for a bathroom break.  THEN went into the kitchen for a coffee refill.  When I returned to the show, the "scroll" was still going and continued for several more minutes!  :o

And who remembers HARVEY KORMAN from Kaye's early '60's variety TV show?  :D 

Sepiatone

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm also a fan of the Secret Life of Walter Mitty. Danny was great in it and it's a very enjoyable film. He was known as a great humanitarian, worked for UNICEF on behalf of children around the world. I have a lot of respect for all Danny Kaye accomplished in his lifetime.

I've read that Danny Kaye was Bob Hope's and Humphrey Bogart's favorite comedian.

edited by me

I wish that Danny Kaye and Humphrey Bogart were in a film together.  I think a Bogart comedy would be interesting. Or a dramatic Kaye film.

• Like 1

In his autobiography In and Out Of Character Basil Rathbone wrote the following about Danny Kaye:

In The Court Jester we had to fight a duel together with saber. I don't much care for saber but I had had instruction in this weapon during my long association with all manner of swords. Our instructor was Ralph Faulkner, a very well known swordsman on the Coast who had specialized in saber. After a couple of weeks of instruction Danny Kaye could completely outfight me! Even granting the difference in our ages, Danny's reflexes were incredibly fast, and nothing had to be shown or explained to him a second time.

I was talking to him about this once and he told me (in effect) that his mind worked like a camera that took perfect pictures and he had a very keen sense of mime that could immediately translate the still picture into movement. Hear or see anything just once and he could imitate it without the slightest effort.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Well, I long thought of SABRINA as laughable, so maybe you're right.  ;) 

Sepiatone

Danny Kaye was certainly an amazing talent. I wish I could stand to watch his movies.

• Haha 3

Bogart was in a few comedies;   Stand-In with Leslie Howard and Joan Blondell,  We're No Angels with Aldo Ray,  Peter Ustinov and Joan Bennett and Sabrina (a rom-com).

Oh,  and there is also the must-see 1938 Swing Your Lady.    A musical comedy no less!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Bogart was in a few comedies;   Stand-In with Leslie Howard and Joan Blondell,  We're No Angels with Aldo Ray,  Peter Ustinov and Joan Bennett and Sabrina (a rom-com).

Oh,  and there is also the must-see 1938 Swing Your Lady.    A musical comedy no less!

Bogart did a great comic masquerade as the fey, know-it-all customer looking for information in the book store in The Big Sleep. I chuckle every time I see it. As he entered the shop he quickly repositioned his hat and put on glasses and he was instantly a new character.

I'm hot and cold in regard to Danny Kaye.  The Kaye Thompson-esque "Choreography" number from White Christmas is one of my all-time favorite musical numbers, but a lot of his broad comic delivery was better suited to the stage than to film. And I never bought him as the skirt-chaser he was sometimes cast as. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2019 at 11:16 AM, lavenderblue19 said:

I love the Court Jester, I always have a good laugh whenever I see the film.

I dislike Danny Kaye but have requested this title based on your recommendation. While also disliking Jerry Lewis and Red Skelton, revisiting them has helped me gain better appreciation for their style of humor. 

Danny Kaye was mentioned in Madeline Kahn's biography- her first Broadway role was in TWO BY TWO where Kaye was the star. Apparently he was unhappy with the script and ad-libbed lines, often getting a big laugh at the expense of his colleagues while leaving them in the lurch for lines. Everyone put up with him because he was the big draw.

Kaye's unusual memorial is a bronze bench with bas relief figural images of the unique things he loved in life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

I dislike Danny Kaye but have requested this title based on your recommendation. While also disliking Jerry Lewis and Red Skelton, revisiting them has helped me gain better appreciation for their style of humor. 

Danny Kaye was mentioned in Madeline Kahn's biography- her first Broadway role was in TWO BY TWO where Kaye was the star. Apparently he was unhappy with the script and ad-libbed lines, often getting a big laugh at the expense of his colleagues while leaving them in the lurch for lines. Everyone put up with him because he was the big draw.

Kaye's unusual memorial is a bronze bench with bas relief figural images of the unique things he loved in life.

The Kahn story doesn't really surprise me. And by that late point in his career he should have been "professional" enough to know how badly he was compromising his fellow actors. Big talents and big egos so often go hand-in-hand.