TheCid

Replace SUTS with WUTS

17 posts in this topic

My wife commented on today's Humphrey Bogart lineup and that it would be nice if it was raining or an otherwise dreary day.  Then you could have a good excuse to vegetate and watch movies all day.  We have most of them and have seen all of them, but still good movies.

So maybe have Winter Under the Stars in January or February?

Actually I have never liked SUTS as I prefer a variety of "stars" as well as of movies during each day.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

My wife commented on today's Humphrey Bogart lineup and that it would be nice if it was raining or an otherwise dreary day.  Then you could have a good excuse to vegetate and watch movies all day.  We have most of them and have seen all of them, but still good movies.

So maybe have Winter Under the Stars in January or February?

Actually I have never liked SUTS as I prefer a variety of "stars" as well as of movies during each day.

They couldn't do it in February, as everyone's favorite 31 Days of Oscar would have to go away, and no one wants that😨

• Haha 8

Too bad we can't choose TWO or more of those response emoticons...  I'd have added the "like" one too.

And so too....

How about NUTS?( "Nights Under the Stars") for YEAR 'ROUND recognition? ;)

Sepiatone

14 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

They couldn't do it in February, as everyone's favorite 31 Days of Oscar would have to go away, and no one wants that😨

I much prefer SUTS over Oscars anyway.  It doesn't bother me to have one day dedicated to one star, I treat the schedule the same as any other month and record the films that interest me.  I may have planned a "party" (if you can call it that, the guest list consists of myself, my husband, my sister and my parents) revolving around Errol Flynn day next Saturday.  Errol Flynn day just happens to be on the same day as the local wine festival 4 blocks from my house.  I'm holding an "Errol Flynn Wine Party" consisting of attending the wine festival and watching Flynn's films on TCM.  Lol.

I don't watch TCM all day so I don't burn out on any particular person.  I actually like when someone is featured whom I enjoy because it resolves the issue of "what am I going to watch tonight?" Because it's either going to be classic film or me catching up on my re-watching of Beverly Hills, 90210. Lol. 

The Oscar month is boring, because there are only a finite set of films that can be selected each year.  It's pretty much the same films every year, just organized differently. I usually only record a handful of films at that time--mostly of the "classics I haven't gotten around to watching yet" variety.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I much prefer SUTS over Oscars anyway.  It doesn't bother me to have one day dedicated to one star, I treat the schedule the same as any other month and record the films that interest me.  I may have planned a "party" (if you can call it that, the guest list consists of myself, my husband, my sister and my parents) revolving around Errol Flynn day next Saturday.  Errol Flynn day just happens to be on the same day as the local wine festival 4 blocks from my house.  I'm holding an "Errol Flynn Wine Party" consisting of attending the wine festival and watching Flynn's films on TCM.  Lol.

I don't watch TCM all day so I don't burn out on any particular person.  I actually like when someone is featured whom I enjoy because it resolves the issue of "what am I going to watch tonight?" Because it's either going to be classic film or me catching up on my re-watching of Beverly Hills, 90210. Lol. 

The Oscar month is boring, because there are only a finite set of films that can be selected each year.  It's pretty much the same films every year, just organized differently. I usually only record a handful of films at that time--mostly of the "classics I haven't gotten around to watching yet" variety.

"Errol Flynn Wine Party" - I love it!

Yeah, I think the issue with SUTS mainly rests with those people who only watch TCM regularly. It doesn't bother me, even if there are days (like Red Skelton day) when nothing is shown that I'm interested in.

• Like 4

I much prefer the idea of Winter Under the Stars taking the place of Oscar month, if only because I've seen most of the Oscar films already (have seen 274 out of the 320 films they aired this February). Under the Stars gives more variety. If they do start holding it in the winter though, how about a full day of Buggs Bunny, as in WUTS Up Doc?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

They should do this only if it's Russian and Swedish films from 10 pm - 4 am to really set the mood.  OK, a few Canadian films, plus With Byrd at the South Pole, Ice Station Zebra, and Slap Shot.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

I much prefer the idea of Winter Under the Stars taking the place of Oscar month, if only because I've seen most of the Oscar films already (have seen 274 out of the 320 films they aired this February). Under the Stars gives more variety. If they do start holding it in the winter though, how about a full day of Buggs Bunny, as in WUTS Up Doc?

Bugs Bunny Day. What a great idea!!!

Agree wholeheartedly with Winter Under The Stars!! (also agree Oscars theme is too narrow)

Winter in Syracuse/Drearycuse/Siberacuse- the weather conditions encourage epic movie watching. Instead of Flar-ida", I winter in India" because there's nothing like cuddling up with a down blanket and watching a 3 hour Bollywood with a big bowl of Tandoori during a blizzard.

The-Hand-Wave.gif

• Like 2

Well with Feb out and Dec out (for holiday films and year end tributes) that leaves only Jan.. I'm afraid we are stuck with SUTS. I don't think TCM is going to change it. In some ways I prefer SUTS as I'm busier in summer and I dont watch TCM that much, while in winter I watch more often and would be stuck with WUTS. I don't really care much for the stars all day concept as most of the time its stars whose films are shown throughout the year that I'm not interested in watching again.......

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

It may be more appropriate to have cocaine  present to put on the tip of.... :unsure: well..........  NEVER MIND! :rolleyes:  :D 

Sepiatone

On 8/11/2019 at 2:01 PM, LawrenceA said:

Couldn't be more appropriate!!!

14 hours ago, nakano said:

Errol  was crazy about Sauternes a very good French dessert wine

Sorry, I'm a snob;  there is no such thing as a good dessert wine.

(stick with a fine port).

I’m not a fan of dessert wine either—way too sweet. 

Im on board with a very dry champagne however. 

On 8/11/2019 at 8:15 PM, karlofffan said:

They should do this only if it's Russian and Swedish films from 10 pm - 4 am to really set the mood.  OK, a few Canadian films, plus With Byrd at the South Pole, Ice Station Zebra, and Slap Shot.

10 pm- 4 am would also be the perfect time to show Hour of the Wolf. 1 am is "Vargtimmen" after all. :lol: 

Hour-of-the-Wolf-3.jpg