Sign in to follow this  
Stephen444

Disappointed to see the commentary by Woody Allen on TCM

39 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

On Bergman films???

Certainly not.  This has nothing to do with Bergman. I'm not comparing Mia Farrow's qualifications to talk about Bergman films to Woody Allen's.  I'm sure Allen is well qualified to do the commentary but I personally don't want to hear it.  That's just my opinion and I will continue to turn it off when it comes on.  Granted he made some nice films in the early years like Radio Days and Hannah and Her Sisters but I personally cannot bring myself to watch any of his films again.  

• Confused 2

43 minutes ago, Stephen444 said:

Certainly not.  This has nothing to do with Bergman. I'm not comparing Mia Farrow's qualifications to talk about Bergman films to Woody Allen's.  I'm sure Allen is well qualified to do the commentary but I personally don't want to hear it.  That's just my opinion and I will continue to turn it off when it comes on.  Granted he made some nice films in the early years like Radio Days and Hannah and Her Sisters but I personally cannot bring myself to watch any of his films again.  

So then who should they get to talk about Bergman's movies? The point of the bumper is to promote the lineup of Bergman films on Liv Ullman day. I see lots of "I... I... I.." Other people watch the channel besides you.

20 hours ago, vidorisking said:

I'm offended that they picked a guy that wasn't funny. I think most folks who find Woody funny are obligated by some comic pledge or something to find him funny or else they have to turn in their comedy membership card. He does lame Jewish humor that was later perfected by Jerry Seinfeld. If you get a kick out of Alan Sherman's Hello Mudda song you probably laugh at Woody.

This just proves the point of the subjective nature of comedy.  Personally, I found nothing funny about Seinfeld except possibly his looks.  And my opinion of his "show about nothing" is that it was just that---  nothing.

But too, as funny as I thought Allen has been, he did wear out that "tsk-ing" exasperated stammering bit after several flicks.  And some of my favorites are ones he wasn't even IN, but did write and direct---  RADIO DAYS... PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO... SWEET AND LOWDOWN.... MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and of course... WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

While I wouldn't pay to see a Woody Allen film (as it would contribute to his nest egg), I don't have a problem watching one of his films if it pops up on TCM as it's part of my cable. Does anyone know if he's narrating this documentary? Or only the filler they are showing between films the past few days?. If so, I'll still watch it, though I'd prefer it be someone else.....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

While I wouldn't pay to see a Woody Allen film (as it would contribute to his nest egg), I don't have a problem watching one of his films if it pops up on TCM as it's part of my cable. Does anyone know if he's narrating this documentary? Or only the filler they are showing between films the past few days?. If so, I'll still watch it, though I'd prefer it be someone else.....

What documentary? The Liv & Ingmar doc? IMDb doesn't list Allen as having any participation in Liv & Ingmar.

I don't know that I'd invite Woody over for dinner. But, if he has some insights on film making, I would want to hear it.

I'm sure that there are personalities that the OP loves that I probably detest. That's all a part of living in a free society. When people have freedom of choice, often we aren't going to agree with the choices of others.

And I really don't like to see anyone prevented from participating in something when they haven't been convicted of anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Sepiatone said:

But too, as funny as I thought Allen has been, he did wear out that "tsk-ing" exasperated stammering bit after several flicks.  And some of my favorites are ones he wasn't even IN, but did write and direct---  RADIO DAYS... PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO... SWEET AND LOWDOWN.... MIDNIGHT IN PARIS and of course... WHAT'S UP TIGER LILY.

Although, of course, "What's Up, Tiger Lily?" wasn't technically "his"--That was Henry J. Saperstein's idea, back when UPA had US rights for all Toho-Godzilla dubs, had the notion to dub the funny Japanese spy film, and hired the new flavor-of-the-week from that hit "Pussycat" film every 60's comedy producer wanted to get his hands on.

Still, a good remnant of Woody's "non-sequitur" humor from the Bananas/Take the Money & Run days, which we wouldn't see again after the Bergman phase until "Zelig".

• Like 1

ERIC

ZELIG was impressive in some ways as it did receive a huge write-up/rave in MODERN PHOTOGRAPHY magazine when it came out.  It seems(to me) that it sort of pioneered the tricks used in the cinematography of FORREST GUMP that caught people's fancies.  And of course( as often) first seen used in music videos and TV commercials.  ;) 

Sepiatone

On 8/11/2019 at 10:01 PM, Stephen444 said:

My wife told me that this commentary about Bergman films had been on but I had not seen it until tonight.  I would much rather see commentary by Mia Farrow.  Don't know if  she has ever been a host on TCM but I question TCM's judgement.  I don't appreciate nor am I interested in seeing Woody Allen.  

My wife and I agree on not liking Woody Allen as an actor and definitely not as a commentator as in the above documentary.  My wife likes some of his movies where he produced and/or directed, but I don't like any of them.

Has nothing to do with his personal life, beliefs, etc.  

27 minutes ago, TheCid said:

My wife and I agree on not liking Woody Allen as an actor and definitely not as a commentator as in the above documentary.  My wife likes some of his movies where he produced and/or directed, but I don't like any of them.

Has nothing to do with his personal life, beliefs, etc.  

What did you dislike about Allen as a commentator in the documentary?

I found him to be very knowledgeable on the subject and thus informative.

• Thanks 1

Woody Allen is not even in the Liv Ullman and Ingmar Bergman documentary. A decades old, 3 minute bumper of Allen discussing Bergman's films is being shown as a commercial and that is why the OP is upset.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Woody Allen is not even in the Liv Ullman and Ingmar Bergman documentary. A decades old, 3 minute bumper of Allen discussing Bergman's films is being shown as a commercial and that is why the OP is upset.

Well I found Allen's infomercial to be informative.