TopBilled

Should General Discussions focus only on older films?

64 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

For some, 1969 is too current.

That's the other argument: Where is the borderline between older films and newer films ? Another of those arguments that will rage on and on. And that, in my opinion, could be discussed on this page also.

How true. Ben M. can be quoted as saying 30s/40s/50s are TCM's bread and butter. 1969 is not too current for me. Maybe 1989. Someone younger than I will say 1999, etc.

These days "oldies" music (in contrast) seems to be the 80s.

7 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

How true. Ben M. can be quoted as saying 30s/40s/50s are TCM's bread and butter. 1969 is not too current for me. Maybe 1989. Someone younger than I will say 1999, etc.

Maybe because trends in pop music change more rapidly. Movies do not "date" as quickly as songs..? Just a theory.

As with any anything else that happens around here, this thread will eventually run its course.  There are those who will either stick around or get burned out on it, and others (like myself) who couldn't care less about what the status quo here might be, as talking about it just contributes to the noise level.

42 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

Just the other day, I was on Facebook (I use that just for friends and family), and apparently a person had criticized some classic film. So many negative comments came afterwards, he came back on to apologize and promise never to post there again. I was almost inclined to invite him to this site.

Here, people give the whole spectrum of opinions on films, stars, etc... I personally like it that way. Someone criticizing your favorite film gives you the opening to tell how great you think the film is. And let the readers make up their own minds.

Because we all know, just because its black and white doesn't make it good. On Facebook, you would think every old film is a masterpiece.

General Discussions provides a central location to see what's going on. One place we all can share opinions and get the widest views. As many have posted, this is the only page they view.

Never had a Facebook account.  Apparently I have been missing out on some higher level thinking, or whatever nuggets of wisdom may remain after all the censorship.

"just because its black and white doesn't make it good": No, not all the time.  I'd exclude some later independent movies, foreign films, and modern-day movies where historical revisionists portray the classic era in B&W.  On the other hand retain a small handfull of modern "art-house" movies intended to be "bad" - as in The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra.

• Like 1

I think we should only discuss movies released on the third week of April, 1937. And maybe the week before and after. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

As with any anything else that happens around here, this thread will eventually run its course.  There are those who will either stick around or get burned out on it, and others (like myself) who couldn't care less about what the status quo here might be, as talking about it just contributes to the noise level.

You obviously cared enough to post on this thread. LOL

• Haha 1

Just now, MovieCollectorOH said:

I also forgot to mention, pack mentality.

Not sure what that means. 

Every now and then we have meta-cognitive threads that help us look at posting patterns, or rather, at what topics seem to be most on people's minds. Nothing wrong with that, if we don't get too personal about it.

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.07.15 PM.png

Some of the newer movies being released are not what TCM pushes as Classic.

So I think some of the discussions on this forum are going from Turner Classic Movies to just plain Turner Movies.

As one of the people most likely to post about newer films around here, I obviously have no problem with it being done in General Discussions. That being said, I understand why this topic may have been prompted. One of us usually starts a thread for each year as we come to it (Mr.6666 started the "Films of 2019" thread), and I try to keep most of my new movie related posting in those threads. I'll also mention something in the "I Just Watched" thread if I just watched a new (or any other) film. And I may start a thread for a specific new or upcoming movie if I think it will be of particular interest to classic movie fans, such as the Nightmare Alley remake, or others who started threads about Once Upon a Tim in Hollywood or Stan & Ollie or Hail, Caesar! when that came out. However, a day or two ago, there were maybe a half-dozen threads on the front page about new films or trends in the business, including several of JakeHolman's tweet threads. I can see why that may have seemed a bit much. He already has a "Hollywood & Entertainment" thread in the Off-Topics for his tweets, so I'm not sure what that was all about in the General Discussions.

But I think it was just an anomaly that so many were on the first page at once, and more than likely, things will go back to being 95% classic movie around here.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, TheCid said:

1969 is 50 years ago.  While I would not like to see this site dominated by discussions about movies made in the past 10 years, anything else would see to be appropriate.

Before I joined, I read a few threads to get an idea of how discussion on this board worked and I remember reading a thread where someone didn't want TCM to play anything made after 1960! :o Limiting discussion based on year really seems a bit arbitrary. I think most who have interest in joining this forum will naturally gravitate towards discussions of certain stars, studios, movie years, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

Before I joined, I read a few threads to get an idea of how discussion on this board worked and I remember reading a thread where someone didn't want TCM to play anything made after 1960! :o Limiting discussion based on year really seems a bit arbitrary. I think most who have interest in joining this forum will naturally gravitate towards discussions of certain stars, studios, movie years, etc.

Any mention of pre-1960 movies was met with a lot of resistance for a very long time on here. I used to read a lot of flame wars about it before I started posting, and there was still some of that going on a little bit when I started. However, most of the more strident people in that regard have gone, either quitting the site, or shuffling off this mortal coil. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Screen Shot 2019-08-15 at 2.07.15 PM.png

Some of the newer movies being released are not what TCM pushes as Classic.

So I think some of the discussions on this forum are going from Turner Classic Movies to just plain Turner Movies.

"Classic" is an arbitrary distinction. What is "classic" to you may not be to someone else and vice versa. It is not Turner Studio Era Movies.

"Classic" is an arbitrary distinction. What is "classic" to you may not be to someone else and vice versa. It is not Turner Studio Era Movies.

Again you might be making things personal. We're not discussing what I think is classic or what you or anyone else thinks is classic. We're discussing what TCM defines as classic.

I honestly don't think TCM will be airing anything from 2019 or 2020 until at least 2025. So these new films being released are not yet classic, by TCM's terms.

As for studio era movies, I think we can all agree that not everything produced in the 30s, 40s or 50s is classic...many of those films have not stood the test of time. That's another discussion.

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Again you might be making things personal. We're not discussing what I think is classic or what you or anyone else thinks is classic. We're discussing what TCM defines as classic.

I honestly don't think TCM will be airing anything from 2019 or 2020 until at least 2025. So these new films being released are not yet classic, by TCM's terms.

As for studio era movies, I think we can all agree that not everything produced in the 30s, 40s or 50s is classic...many of those films have not stood the test of time. That's another discussion.

TCM has aired movies from the 2010s before. Le Havre, Love Among the Ruins, Human Voice. A few others too that I can't recall right now. They even aired a documentary about Bergman from 2012 yesterday.

TCM has aired movies from the 2010s before. Le Havre, Love Among the Ruins, Human Voice. A few others too that I can't recall right now. They even aired a documentary about Bergman from 2012 yesterday.

Hugo and The king's Speech too.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yes, but I don't think we have seen anything newer than five years aired on TCM. And even then, it will likely be just one or two special Oscar-winning titles they can premiere in February. Anything that wins an Oscar this year would probably not reach TCM's airwaves until 2025. So technically it's just a movie that hasn't been designated as "classic" yet by TCM.

43 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

As one of the people most likely to post about newer films around here, I obviously have no problem with it being done in General Discussions. That being said, I understand why this topic may have been prompted. One of us usually starts a thread for each year as we come to it (Mr.6666 started the "Films of 2019" thread), and I try to keep most of my new movie related posting in those threads. I'll also mention something in the "I Just Watched" thread if I just watched a new (or any other) film. And I may start a thread for a specific new or upcoming movie if I think it will be of particular interest to classic movie fans, such as the Nightmare Alley remake, or others who started threads about Once Upon a Tim in Hollywood or Stan & Ollie or Hail, Caesar! when that came out. However, a day or two ago, there were maybe a half-dozen threads on the front page about new films or trends in the business, including several of JakeHolman's tweet threads. I can see why that may have seemed a bit much. He already has a "Hollywood & Entertainment" thread in the Off-Topics for his tweets, so I'm not sure what that was all about in the General Discussions.

But I think it was just an anomaly that so many were on the first page at once, and more than likely, things will go back to being 95% classic movie around here.  

If that is what he is upset about then that is different. Those posts are essentially just spam anyways. No real discussion or anything. If the Korean bots shilling foot cream or whatever qualify as spam then the others should too.

I do support having categories inside General Discussions. CinemaInternational's Scrapbook threads are great. A Newbie will never see them without looking hard.

Just now, The Keeper said:

I do support having categories inside General Discussions. CinemaInternational's Scrapbook threads are great. A Newbie will never see them without looking hard.

I have started an outside blog with the posts, but I have yet to add some of the most recent UA posts.....

hollywoodhistoryinpictures.wordpress.com/blog-feed/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Never had a Facebook account.  Apparently I have been missing out on some higher level thinking,

I only use that for finding out if a cousin had a baby, someone's birthday, or some relative is feeling sick. Stuff like that.

1 hour ago, The Keeper said:

There are those who feel TCM should only show films from those three decades. They seem to forget the channel is "broadcast" no "narrowcast". I'd rather open it up to good movies from whenever they were produced.

And I may start a thread for a specific new or upcoming movie if I think it will be of particular interest to classic movie fans, such as the Nightmare Alley remake, or others who started threads about Once Upon a Tim in Hollywood or Stan & Ollie or Hail, Caesar! when that came out.

This is what some people forget all about. Classic films are very much alive today. Notice how many series on various streaming channels and PBS that are set in this era. Classic films put an image on the screen that people are still in love with today. I personally know young people who think people actually lived that way back then. And wish to live this way today. Seeing the crowds at the TCM Film Festival proves that.

Why not discuss new things going on with classic films ? Remember, this is universal. All around the world, people watch these films subtitled or dubbed. We have a medium to post with others who also like classic film from wherever you might be. We have this in common. And this page is basically the meeting place.

3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Maybe because trends in pop music change more rapidly. Movies do not "date" as quickly as songs..? Just a theory.

For what it's worth (and ironically the very title of a 1966 Buffalo Springfield hit recording which is still as relevant today as it was in 1966), I don't think your theory holds water, TB!  ;)

9 minutes ago, Dargo said:

For what it's worth (and ironically the very title of a 1966 Buffalo Springfield hit recording which is still as relevant today as it was in 1966), I don't think your theory holds water, TB!  ;)

Thanks Darg. On my way home from work, I usually listen to LiveXLive/Slacker radio on my phone. They have different channels by decade. So recently I was listening to a channel called 90s #1s. If you don't like the song, you can press skip. There were a lot of songs that didn't seem to hold up, where I pressed skip. And these were the chart toppers of that era. The production values on many of the tunes did seem dated.

So I think it depends which era we're discussing, and which artists/producers we're looking at. I guess that applies to music and to movies.

Incidentally a #1 tune I heard on that channel that did not seem dated, that felt classic was: Phil Collins' Another Day in Paradise. That composition holds up tremendously well.

• Like 1

"General" should mean exactly that. Discussions about films or film related topic from any era. If people want more on older films, just write more of them.  

Like it or not, over the past 25 years TCM has broadened  the range of what it shows so the discussions should be open to every era. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Keeper said:

There was no oldies station in my relatively small town while I was growing up. The first I ever heard one was when I was in college, and I had a brief period where I was enamored with it, and it was pretty much all I listened to. This was the late '80s, and at that time, oldies meant the '60s. Already by the late '80s, they had stopped playing '50s music on the radio anywhere around where I lived.

Today, my local oldies station switches between a '70s song and an '80s song and repeats that format 24/7. They don't play '60s music ever. Maybe once in a blue moon, the classic rock station will play something from '68 or '69 (Doors/Hendrix/very late Beatles/the Who/the Stones/Led Zeppelin's first two albums), but they would never go any earlier than that. They're 99 per cent '70s and '80s. You have to go to satellite radio to hear that.

• Like 1