TopBilled

Should General Discussions focus only on older films?

63 posts in this topic

I notice that we are seeing a proliferation of recent threads in this forum about new films. Of course new films could turn out to be classics (in the future). But typically what's appearing in movie theaters or for the first time on Netflix, that is not what TCM broadcasts. 

Doesn't it seem like there should be a separate section to discuss new films?

It's like we're starting to move away from studio era discussions about Bette Davis and Clark Gable, because the emphasis is now on billion dollar blockbusters and the latest special effects or the current crop of Oscar nominees.

What are everyone's thoughts on this?

• Like 1

This is a movie discussion forum and TCM is not a Studio era only channel. The Lost Horizon musical was just on and it is certainly not from the studio era. People want to discuss both Studio era and newer films. If you want to make a thread about a specific actor, film, studio, etc. you are free to do so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

This is a movie discussion forum and TCM is not a Studio era only channel. The Lost Horizon musical was just on and it is certainly not from the studio era. People want to discuss both Studio era and newer films. If you want to make a thread about a specific actor, film, studio, etc. you are free to do so.

But don't you think discussions about studio era films and stars are getting lost on the General Discussions forum? Or do we still have plenty of that going on?

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Thanks. But don't you think discussions about studio era films and stars are getting lost on the General Discussions forum? Or do we still have plenty of that going on?

On the first page alone, I see a Cry Havoc thread, I just Watched (usually discussion of 30s - 50s films), Best director of 1939 and Brief Encounter. 

Just now, Gershwin fan said:

On the first page alone, I see a Cry Havoc thread, I just Watched (usually discussion of 30s - 50s films), Best director of 1939 and Brief Encounter. 

But there are a lot of threads now (that seem more like entertainment news) that discuss only new releases.

This is not about what people can or cannot post here...it's about maybe creating an area on the message boards where threads about newer films might best be placed. That is all. 

12 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

But there are a lot of threads now (that seem more like entertainment news) that discuss only new releases.

This is not about what people can or cannot post here...it's about maybe creating an area on the message boards where threads about newer films might best be placed. That is all. 

I see a bunch of threads discussing older films alongside newer ones. If you want yet another subforum like the other ones which are virtually dead and get maybe two replies a month then have at it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

But don't you think discussions about studio era films and stars are getting lost on the General Discussions forum? Or do we still have plenty of that going on?

31 days of Oscar goes up to date no?

It's not so much getting lost but "Time" marches on. Classics include films from the late 60s and 70's now. That generation may want to discuss their Classics also. Have them afforded the same reverence. TCM has got to adapt and go with the flow a bit and still retain what they have in the vault but add the next chronological classics to the mix.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I seldom look at the other sections. Moving threads outside of General Discussions could make them harder to find. I do think General Discussions could use subcategories the way TCM Programs does. I was one who wanted the "Scrapbooks" all in one place. Maybe General Discussions is getting too general. We would need the cooperation of the moderators to make changes.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What is an older film to a 18 year old?

Probably something that was made before they were born..?

No.

I think General says it all and many people (myself included) think that applies to most entertainment, including TV.

As for the sub-forums, I almost forgot they were there.  Never look at them.

Probably something that was made before they were born..?

Was trying to make a point, films i.e. "Jurassic Park" is OLD to the last generation but is it suitable for TCM.

"Lets Dance" and "Saturday Night Fever" are equally ancient to them.

1 minute ago, hamradio said:

Was trying to make a point, films i.e. "Jurassic Park" is OLD to the last generation but is it suitable for TCM.

I see.

Also, I think your point alludes to why studios remake films like THE LION KING so these properties can be "new" again for a younger generation who may not want to watch the older versions.

2 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

I see.

Also, I think your point alludes to why studios remake films like THE LION KING so these properties can be "new" again for a younger generation who may not want to watch the older versions.

It's sad old school animation are frowned upon to the younger generation vs CGI.

Remake "Snow White", hope not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am one who has never looked at any of the many subforums.  To me, there are too many already and I'm not someone who jumps from place to place.   As has been noted, General fits everything and most days I find a thread or new with new topics I'm interested in.  

If the topic is labeled, for example, "Films of 2019", what's the problem?  Don't open it up if you don't want to read about "Films of 2019."

• Like 1

I am a little fruity. I sort my bookmarks alphabetically, with folders.

On the down side to subcategories, people are likely to post in the wrong place, which already happens.

The thread "Why do some classic movie fans bash newer films?" is now on page five. This thread might be a distant cousin.<grin>*

* I have nothing but trouble with emojis on my tablet.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, hamradio said:

What is an older film to a 18 year old?

??

I don't know.  Hell, I don't even know what an older film is to AN 18 year old!  ;)

But to the question originated in this thread's title:  "Should General Discussions focus only on older films?"

Well then, it wouldn't be GENERAL discussions then, would it?   B)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I see Classic Film as a concept rather than anything concrete. Its like most of art in that its subjective.

There are films like the latest Tarantino film that hark back to a Hollywood of yesteryear. There are interesting remakes of older films being made all the time, limited series on older films, series on classic stars etc...

I think discussing classic film in with newer releases helps to keep the movies relevant and vibrant. It gives a person a reason to watch "the original".

When you place limitations in, you also limit the audience. I have seen message board whither away by doing that. You always want new blood, new ideas, new perspectives to be a part of the experience.

Even if its to complain that "TCM plays too many new movies !"  :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Well, one of the films that is new is being discussed is set in 1969 and features tons of references to films made around that time. And I feel we are all a bit interested in what studios are up to, and other things. (I know I was pleased as punch to find a site with old Siskel and Ebert shows from the late 70s early 80s and was tempted to share some here) We might be a classic film board, but I don't feel we need to stop at a certain time. If something truly astonishes us, we should talk about it. Doesn't matter the era. And I also feel that some of the more recent post-studio system decades (70s, 80s, 90s) are an era most of us are familiar with and I feel that many hold a soft spot for those times.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TopBilled said:

But don't you think discussions about studio era films and stars are getting lost on the General Discussions forum?

General Discussions means just that: discussions of movies in general.

And if the discussions fit the topic but tick off the moral scolds, so much the better.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, The Keeper said:

I seldom look at the other sections. Moving threads outside of General Discussions could make them harder to find.

I'm the same way. I spend 95 per cent of my time on here in General Discussions. If I want to start a thread about one of the stars in SUTS, I don't want to come back a day later and find it's been moved off GD and onto SUTS thread specifically (which I think has happened at least once). That's exhausting to me and makes navigating this site way more work than I want. Same thing with SOTMs or 31 Days, etc. If you specifically want to go post on those topic-specific threads, fine, but I think we should be able to talk about them here was well.

So my vote is a very emphatic no to the idea of moving threads about more modern films off of GD. I couldn't possibly be more opposed to the idea.

I'm with SEWHITE in this as I too, don't spend too much time elsewhere on these boards.  I might wander occasionally to "Off-topic chit-chat", but any threads I'm interested in over there get lost or pushed many pages back by all the incessant long running( and "dead horse beaten to hamburger") political threads or DB's moronic video clip trolling.  I might post something there every now and then, and more often in the "forgotten Oldies" thread.  

When I first joined, I tried posting an inquiry in the "Games and Trivia" page( a trivia type query about a specific "urban legend") but the only responder thought I was starting a new game, posted an unconnected to subject reply, followed by "next".  :wacko:  I haven't been back since. 

As for moving threads, I don't recall it ever happening to me, but there are times (in life as well as here) when a topic might resemble another, but not necessarily BE another one, and really had no call to have it moved.  But, when Mods can eliminate, delete or otherwise do as they wish to posts for reasons they, and they ALONE find some reason to( like editing for "language" when really they just overreacted to something not really an expletive of any kind) I guess it's just something to endure.  Like "witnesses" knocking on your door early Saturday mornings.

Sepiatone

20 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Well, one of the films that is new is being discussed is set in 1969 and features tons of references to films made around that time. And I feel we are all a bit interested in what studios are up to, and other things.

For some, 1969 is too current.

That's the other argument: Where is the borderline between older films and newer films ? Another of those arguments that will rage on and on. And that, in my opinion, could be discussed on this page also.

• Thanks 1

Just the other day, I was on Facebook (I use that just for friends and family), and apparently a person had criticized some classic film. So many negative comments came afterwards, he came back on to apologize and promise never to post there again. I was almost inclined to invite him to this site.

Here, people give the whole spectrum of opinions on films, stars, etc... I personally like it that way. Someone criticizing your favorite film gives you the opening to tell how great you think the film is. And let the readers make up their own minds.

Because we all know, just because its black and white doesn't make it good. On Facebook, you would think every old film is a masterpiece.

General Discussions provides a central location to see what's going on. One place we all can share opinions and get the widest views. As many have posted, this is the only page they view.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

For some, 1969 is too current.

That's the other argument: Where is the borderline between older films and newer films ? Another of those arguments that will rage on and on. And that, in my opinion, could be discussed on this page also.

1969 is 50 years ago.  While I would not like to see this site dominated by discussions about movies made in the past 10 years, anything else would see to be appropriate.

• Like 1