Sign in to follow this  
Gershwin fan

The Liv and Ingmar documentary

11 posts in this topic

I liked this one a lot. A very close intimate look into the lives of Bergman and Ullmann and it holds nothing back. In many scenes, Liv clearly tries to hold back tears when thinking about how much she misses Bergman and how much they fought while also recollecting the happier times they had together. With segments titled "rage" and "loneliness" the documentary did not gloss over their fighting. There was also a bit of self-deprecating humor from Liv Ullmann on Lost Horizon and being compared to Greta Garbo going to Hollywood - "I did what Garbo never did. I bankrupted two studios." :lol: :lol:  This was an interesting one and I'm glad it was shown.

MV5BMjMwMDYyNjc5N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwOTYy

• Like 3

I really enjoyed it, too. It couldn't have been easy to share private letters with the world.  Liv is a tremendous lady. In addition to her talent,  I find her sense of humor endearing and her unembellished beauty (meant as a compliment) refreshing to look it.

11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

I liked this one a lot. A very close intimate look into the lives of Bergman and Ullmann and it holds nothing back. In many scenes, Liv clearly tries to hold back tears when thinking about how much she misses Bergman and how much they fought while also recollecting the happier times they had together. With segments titled "rage" and "loneliness" the documentary did not gloss over their fighting. There was also a bit of self-deprecating humor from Liv Ullmann on Lost Horizon and being compared to Greta Garbo going to Hollywood - "I did what Garbo never did. I bankrupted two studios." :lol: :lol:  This was an interesting one and I'm glad it was shown.

I saw most of the first half, missed some of the second half, I am hoping it would be On Demand so I can see the rest of it.

The beginning was beautifully filmed and Ullmann's monologues are at times hypnotic, the whole thing was affecting me just like a Bergman film. I constantly focus on her beautiful, blue sad eyes.

Wonderful documentary! I was sorry to see it end. Was hoping for more information on how they worked together on their films, but what was covered was great. I'd forgotten how funny Liv was/is. Not at all like the roles she played in Bergman films. Although she's aged, she still has those laser like blue eyes that bore right into the camera. She must be close to 80 now. I really miss those days when they worked together. And all the other foreign film directors at their peak. Who do we have now??? You rarely see foreign films even booked in the U.S. anymore. :(

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sagebrush said:

I really enjoyed it, too. It couldn't have been easy to share private letters with the world.  Liv is a tremendous lady. In addition to her talent,  I find her sense of humor endearing and her unembellished beauty (meant as a compliment) refreshing to look it.

Definitely agree about the private letters and diaries. You could see the emotion in her eyes as they were read. I also agree that she is a very beautiful woman. :) 

abdication2.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I saw most of the first half, missed some of the second half, I am hoping it would be On Demand so I can see the rest of it.

It's up On Demand right now by the way. The second half is very good but a bit sad seeing her describe their tumultuous affair and ups and downs.

• Thanks 1

Being a big fan of both Bergman and Ullmann, I thoroughly enjoyed this film.  I have always found Ullmann to be a captivating presence, in addition to being a brilliant actress.  In interviews, she seems so light-hearted and charming that it hardly seems the same woman who has given life to such complex, sometimes agonizing characters in so many of Bergman’s dark masterpieces.  I, too, would have liked her to go into a little more detail on her particular acting process and if it was different with Bergman than with other directors.  On a superficial note, she looked great—older, yes, but still beautiful.  If only Hollywood actresses of her generation would allow themselves to age so naturally.

• Like 1

Okay a bit off topic but ya know, years ago one of my teachers looked exactly like Liv Ullmann, I kid you not. Imagine the picture on the right but with brunette hair. She was also one of the kindest people I've ever met.

MV5BZTUyNzZlOTItYWU0Mi00MTNlLThjYTYtMGI4

Wonderful documentary. While watching I felt like I was living in a Bergman film, like walking through the house of depression in "Cries and Whispers" which instead of death throes was relationship pain, or was in "Persona" with Ingmar's other females interacting with Liv, or even "Winter Light" where instead of a loss of faith, Liv was suffering from a loss of love perhaps for Ingmar. Very moving revelations about their relationship which one can see parodied perhaps in some of his films.