NipkowDisc

you will not hear the word 'damn' on MOVIES!

30 posts in this topic

this is really stupid. any movie with the word damn in it the word is dubbed out and you hear only silence for that second.

nobody considers that word inappropriate anymore. how dumb can this channel be?  it is completely asinine to run prints of movies where 'damn' is dubbed out and by dubbing out such a commonly heard word unnecessarily affects a film's overall dramatic impact.

so if movies! shows something where someone says hot dam! are you're gonna hear is hot.

:lol:

the first movie I watched when I noticed this idiocy was HUD. first thing I said to myself was "they dubbed THAT out? ****?"

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

this is really stupid. any movie with the word damn in it the word is dubbed out and you hear only silence for that second.

nobody considers that word inappropriate anymore. how dumb can this channel be?  it is completely asinine to run prints of movies where the word is dubbed out and by dubbing out such a commonly heard word unnecessarily affects a film's overall dramatic impact.

so if movies! shows something where someone says hot dam! are you're gonna hear is hot.

I've noticed that MeTV censors words in shows in the same manner. Things that were acceptable on broadcast television 50, 40, or 30 years ago, but are now deemed too offensive. "Damn" is one, various ethnic names (that would get censored here), a term for mentally challenged people that is also censored here, and the use of "Jesus" and "Jesus Christ" as expletives, I've noticed all being censored with that "moment of silence" you mention. There have been others but I can't recall them at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

how can they ever show Damn the Defiant!? I guess it's okay because you don't hear the film title.

:)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends upon the channel / network.  Can expect editing in family oriented programming i.e. the mentioned MeTV and INSP.  More likely you're just noticing.

metv4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, we had a discussion about a year or two ago concerning one of the Film Noir that was shown on some other movie channel where they actually blurred out the breast of a woman on a statue. It was either done to the Crack Up! or The Dark Corner if I remember right, but it may be another film entirely.

The scene has two cops commenting on the statue, I can't it all (the dialog) but one cop states "that's art!"

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I've noticed that MeTV censors words in shows in the same manner. Things that were acceptable on broadcast television 50, 40, or 30 years ago, but are now deemed too offensive. "Damn" is one, various ethnic names (that would get censored here), a term for mentally challenged people that is also censored here, and the use of "Jesus" and "Jesus Christ" as expletives, I've noticed all being censored with that "moment of silence" you mention. There have been others but I can't recall them at the moment.

I noticed on a broadcast of Chicago on the THIS channel, they edited the line "single, my azz" to "single, my eye." Instead of leaving the scene blank, they edit the dialogue. In Aidan Quinn's Crusoe, they also edited out the sacrifice scene and the "I have no one to sell you to!" scene.

hqdefault.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed that on Movies! too.  And doesn't surprise me either, people these days getting so touchy lately. And too, in times past, when you'd expect more of it, I recall as a kid, seeing the movie  THE PROUD AND THE BRAVE('56) with MICKEY ROONEY and WENDELL COREY,  but the station had a print of the film but with a different title, which was THE BRAVE AND THE DAMNED.  And I remember as a kid being surprised the station would show a movie with a "swear word" in the title!  :o  :D 

But years later, when home video became big business, I discovered it's original( maybe) title was different, as was a favorite of mine,which for years I knew by the title THE BIG CARNIVAL was originally called ACE IN THE HOLE.  

But take heart, NIP....  if any of those movies to which you refer show up on IFC(Independent Film Channel) you'll NOT hear that word, or any other expletives chopped out.  ;)

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I've noticed that on Movies! too.  And doesn't surprise me either, people these days getting so touchy lately. And too, in times past, when you'd expect more of it, I recall as a kid, seeing the movie  THE PROUD AND THE BRAVE('56) with MICKEY ROONEY and WENDELL COREY,  but the station had a print of the film but with a different title, which was THE BRAVE AND THE DAMNED.  And I remember as a kid being surprised the station would show a movie with a "swear word" in the title!  :o  :D

Sepiatone

And it was released as The Bold and the Brave, too.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Censorship can get ridiculous at times. I remember watching some biblical epic produced by some church group that had the Roman Legionaries wearing all their regular armor and accouterments but with one minor change. They were all wearing underneath it all, flesh colored union suits. I turned the channel, lol.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You CAN say "damn" on television...However, you can't say G.D.  Perhaps this might have caused the confusion.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

this is really stupid. any movie with the word damn in it the word is dubbed out and you hear only silence for that second.

nobody considers that word inappropriate anymore. how dumb can this channel be?  it is completely asinine to run prints of movies where 'damn' is dubbed out and by dubbing out such a commonly heard word unnecessarily affects a film's overall dramatic impact.

so if movies! shows something where someone says hot dam! are you're gonna hear is hot.

:lol:

the first movie I watched when I noticed this idiocy was HUD. first thing I said to myself was "they dubbed THAT out? ****?"

 

And, so, like you've only noticed that now?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Censorship can get ridiculous at times. I remember watching some biblical epic produced by some church group that had the Roman Legionaries wearing all their regular armor and accouterments but with one minor change. They were all wearing underneath it all, flesh colored union suits. I turned the channel, lol.  

MAN!  I'm trying hard to remember what I was watching and what channel it was on( and it was only just within the first five years of this century!) But there was a scene in the movie in which a little 3 or 4 year old girl was running around a backyard in the summertime shirtless, and the station blurred out where her breasts would grow 10 years later:rolleyes:

And around the same time, former "Late, Late Show" host CRAIG FERGUSON was doing a bit with a hand puppet at his desk, and it was supposed to be some kind of "nasty rabbit" sort of thing.  Well, at one point, with the camera doing a close-up of the puppet, but you could hear Craig supplying the puppet's dialog, and by the "bleep!" you knew Craig let out an expletive, but what cracked me up was that the station pixelated the puppet's mouth!  :D 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 12:24 PM, cigarjoe said:

Lol, we had a discussion about a year or two ago concerning one of the Film Noir that was shown on some other movie channel where they actually blurred out the breast of a woman on a statue. It was either done to the Crack Up! or The Dark Corner if I remember right, but it may be another film entirely.

The scene has two cops commenting on the statue, I can't it all (the dialog) but one cop states "that's art!"

Get this, CJ...I saw a tv transmission of Bunuel's "L'Age d'Or" once where they blurred out the naughty bits [as John Cleese might say] of the statues, yet left in the scene with, was it Lya Lys, shall we say, nibbling on the statue's toes.

I mean really, this is the swallow a gnat, choke at a camel, rule apparently.

Not that I personally found the marble munching offensive, just so you know...

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 8:36 AM, NipkowDisc said:

this is really stupid. any movie with the word damn in it the word is dubbed out and you hear only silence for that second.

nobody considers that word inappropriate anymore. how dumb can this channel be?  it is completely asinine to run prints of movies where 'damn' is dubbed out and by dubbing out such a commonly heard word unnecessarily affects a film's overall dramatic impact.

so if movies! shows something where someone says hot dam! are you're gonna hear is hot.

:lol:

the first movie I watched when I noticed this idiocy was HUD. first thing I said to myself was "they dubbed THAT out? ****?"

 

It was your old buddy W Bush who had the FCC clamp down on content airing on the "people's airwaves". I would think you to be in favor of keeping the airwaves "family friendly".

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before GW, early 1990s, the FCC relaxed rules for radio, between Midnight and 6 AM.

I enjoy TCM for many reasons, including limited profanity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

It was your old buddy W Bush who had the FCC clamp down on content airing on the "people's airwaves". I would think you to be in favor of keeping the airwaves "family friendly".

I watched Dog Day Afternoon every time it was shown on HBO back in 1975.

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/15/2019 at 11:40 AM, LawrenceA said:

I've noticed that MeTV censors words in shows in the same manner. Things that were acceptable on broadcast television 50, 40, or 30 years ago, but are now deemed too offensive. "Damn" is one, various ethnic names (that would get censored here), a term for mentally challenged people that is also censored here, and the use of "Jesus" and "Jesus Christ" as expletives, I've noticed all being censored with that "moment of silence" you mention. There have been others but I can't recall them at the moment.

Some of these new game-show stations are also censoring out content from very old T.V. game shows.  E.g. the other night I was watching The Match Game and a word was censored out.    I know because the word was part of the question.    The first time Rayburn said the question and I heard 'air',  I just felt it was a broadcast glitch.   But he always says the questions more then once and the second time I again,  heard 'air'.     

Based on the question I believe the word was related to an ethnic group.   I.e. a term used for a subset of people that was OK back then,,,  but not today.

PS:   I have pointed out how MOVIES censor content with the most strange example being in The Dark Corner (the Mark Stevens,  Lucy Ball,  Clifton Webb noir).   At the end is an Italian statue and the breast were blocked-out.    I believe it was a Donatello statue which means those breast were OK to view over 400 years ago!.    This bugs me as much as it does Nipkow because TCM doesn't show Hot-Spell! 

  

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I watched Dog Day Afternoon every time it was shown on HBO back in 1975.

:D

HBO is not the people's airwaves.

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Some of these new game-show stations are also censoring out content from very old T.V. game shows.  E.g. the other night I was watching The Match Game and a word was censored out.    I know because the word was part of the question.    The first time Rayburn said the question and I heard 'air',  I just felt it was a broadcast glitch.   But he always says the questions more then once and the second time I again,  heard 'air'.     

Based on the question I believe the word was related to an ethnic group.   I.e. a term used for a subset of people that was OK back then,,,  but not today.

PS:   I have pointed out how MOVIES censor content with the most strange example being in The Dark Corner (the Mark Stevens,  Lucy Ball,  Clifton Webb noir).   At the end is an Italian statue and the breast were blocked-out.    I believe it was a Donatello statue which means those breast were OK to view over 400 years ago!.    This bugs me as much as it does Nipkow because TCM doesn't show Hot-Spell! 

  

The 70's were much more loose than today. We have gotten very conservative and sensitive to every little word,phrase or insinuation. Everybody is offended. That's probably why I like shows like Match Game, they didn't give a care.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

HBO is not the people's airwaves.

The 70's were much more loose than today. We have gotten very conservative and sensitive to every little word,phrase or insinuation. Everybody is offended. That's probably why I like shows like Match Game, they didn't give a care.

LOL

OR a damn! ;)

(...funny though Gerald, 'cause as I remember, even back in the '70s The Newlywed Game still had Bob Eubanks using the euphemism "making whoopee" instead of "having sex")

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

PS:   I have pointed out how MOVIES censor content with the most strange example being in The Dark Corner (the Mark Stevens,  Lucy Ball,  Clifton Webb noir).   At the end is an Italian statue and the breast were blocked-out.    I believe it was a Donatello statue which means those breast were OK to view over 400 years ago!.    This bugs me as much as it does Nipkow because TCM doesn't show Hot-Spell! 

  

I knew I was discussing the above with someone, know I know who. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1) These digital subchannels are broadcast via the public airwaves and therefore subject to FCC regulations. (TCM and other cable channels are exempt from those regulations.)

2) These networks' Standards and Practices departments appear to exercise even more stringent policies. This may be done in order to not offend "viewers of a certain age" and/or the advertisers looking to sell their products to these audiences.

3) I still think it was pointless for Movies! to air All That Jazz, given the number of obscenities that had to be bleeped and bare breasts that had to be blurred.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

1) These digital subchannels are broadcast via the public airwaves and therefore subject to FCC regulations. (TCM and other cable channels are exempt from those regulations.)

 

And as MOVIES! is seen on both "public airwaves" and cable, the cable stations too, get the censored presentations on MOVIES!.  And many "cable" stations (TNT, TBS, USA, etc.  Except for  IFC also censor nudity and profanity.  

And as(on my cable service) TCM is included with it's "basic" package, no extra "premium" fee as with HBO etc. , I'm not sure if "over the air" digital services offer it and as TCM also doesn't censor much content(if any) from movies, how the other services handle it. 

Sepiatone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do think the censorship has to do with playing it safe and not losing advertising dollars. I wonder if DVR/streaming has anything to do with stations becoming more conservative, even at night. Like, 20 years ago if you weren't up past 10pm, you didn't get to see that show. But now anyone, including kids, can record/watch anything at any hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us