LawrenceA

November 2019 schedule is up

76 posts in this topic

Looks like I stand corrected about Beyond the Forest. I swear there had been discussion about there being rights issues on here before. Sorry that I missed it during its run on Amazon Prime. Perhaps it will return.

41 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yes, Beyond the Forest was available to stream on Amazon Prime for a long time. In fact, for a while you could buy a digital copy of the film from them for $1.99. Not rent, but buy. It has also been available on YouTube on and off for the past few years.

Thank you Lawrence for verifying that. Much appreciated!

2 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I must have missed this thread.  It was posted the day before my birthday though, I was camping that day. No reception. 

On 8/15/2019 at 4:14 PM, Hibi said:

Death on the Nile is Paramount, but TCM has shown it in the past. Too bad. :( Great cast.

Actually, Paramount lost the rights toDeath on the Nile; they are now with StudioCanal. it is a great cast. Angela Lansbury steals her scenes, Ustinov and David Niven shine, Mia Farrow, Maggie Smith and Bette excel. I think its even better than Orient Express. Now could StudioCanal also give us the mirror Crack'd? It was Liz Taylor's last big role (and she was very good) and Kim Novak clearly was enjoying herself as a catty movie star, running off with all of her scenes and stealing the show.

21 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

Actually, Paramount lost the rights toDeath on the Nile; they are now with StudioCanal. it is a great cast. Angela Lansbury steals her scenes, Ustinov and David Niven shine, Mia Farrow, Maggie Smith and Bette excel. I think its even better than Orient Express. Now could StudioCanal also give us the mirror Crack'd? It was Liz Taylor's last big role (and she was very good) and Kim Novak clearly was enjoying herself as a catty movie star, running off with all of her scenes and stealing the show.

THE MIRROR CRACK'D is currently on Britbox as part of its Summer Christie series. I've watched it a few times lately, it's a lot of fun.

I think it was originally produced by EMI Films.

• Thanks 1

Just now, TopBilled said:

THE MIRROR CRACK'D is currently on Britbox as part of its Summer Christie series. I've watched it a few times lately, it's a lot of fun.

I think it was originally produced by EMI Films.

That it was. It's very short American theatre run was from the ill-fated AFD, the company started by ITC's Lord Lew Grade. The studio hit it big with The Muppet Movie and had a critical hit with Inside Moves, but was mostly saddled with things like Raise the Titanic, Saturn 3, The Jazz Singer, and Can't Stop the Music. They ended after only two or three years in early 1981. The movies (either from ITC or EMI) that might have saved their hide were put out at Universal: On Golden Pond, The Great Muppet Caper,  Frances, Sophie's Choice, Cross Creek, and Tender Mercies.

• Thanks 1

The titles for November 3rd primetime have finally been added to the schedule.

THE BIG SLEEP (1946) and CHINATOWN (1974).

And they will be presented by Guest Programmer Edward Norton.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2019 at 3:15 PM, Hibi said:

JOAN BENNETT! Who is STILL waiting for her SOTM.........:(

That's what you get (Bette Davis) when you let newbie film fans vote. Sadly, they don't even know who Joan Bennett is.

• Like 2

I think that those of us posting overestimate the general public's knowledge of classic film stars.

I suspect only those with some iconic image are generally known like Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, perhaps Chaplin or John Wayne.  Maybe Davis and Crawford are kept alive by popular culture.

The biggest stars of the the 30s, 40s and 50s are probably unidentifiable by most.

I recall a discussion a few years back when Loretta Young couldn't be identified by the panel of Jeopardy competitors.  I imagine that the same would be true for Greer Garson, Jennifer Jones, Rosalind Russell and countless others.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

That's what you get (Bette Davis) when you let newbie film fans vote. Sadly, they don't even know who Joan Bennett is.

Sad, but true.....

On 10/6/2019 at 1:52 PM, TopBilled said:

The titles for November 3rd primetime have finally been added to the schedule.

THE BIG SLEEP (1946) and CHINATOWN (1974).

And they will be presented by Guest Programmer Edward Norton.

I guess they'll be promoting his new movie coming out......

11 hours ago, Hibi said:

I guess they'll be promoting his new movie coming out......

Oh, I didn't even realize he had a new film in the works.

Well, son of a gun, so he does. Motherless Brooklyn, which he not only stars in but also directed and co-wrote, coming out in November.

This kind of makes me think of Saturday Night Live. Anyone remember when the guest hosts would be Milton Berle or Ralph Nader because ... well, because they were available? This year, Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy both made their first appearances on the show in years (well, Murphy's hasn't happened yet; it's in December); conveniently, both also had projects they wanted to promote coming out at the same time. Same think with the late-night talks shows. I feel like Shelly Winters or Bob Hope would hang out with Johnny Carson just because they liked doing it. But now you rarely see an actor on a talk show unless they have a new movie or TV show (or new season of that show) coming out that same week. Oh, they're happy to tell amusing anecdotes and chat about this or that, but right at the end, you have to play a clip from their new project. That's capitalism, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

This kind of makes me think of Saturday Night Live. Anyone remember when the guest hosts would be Milton Berle or Ralph Nader because ... well, because they were available? This year, Adam Sandler and Eddie Murphy both made their first appearances on the show in years (well, Murphy's hasn't happened yet; it's in December); conveniently, both also had projects they wanted to promote coming out at the same time. Same think with the late-night talks shows. I feel like Shelly Winters or Bob Hope would hang out with Johnny Carson just because they liked doing it. But now you rarely see an actor on a talk show unless they have a new movie or TV show (or new season of that show) coming out that same week. Oh, they're happy to tell amusing anecdotes and chat about this or that, but right at the end, you have to play a clip from their new project. That's capitalism, I guess.

It may have seemed that way, but they were promoting something. If not a soon-to-be released project (movie, book, TV show, live appearance, album, etc.), then they were promoting themselves, getting their names and faces back into the public consciousness, and hopefully getting more and better offers. 

Sometimes they were doing a favor for the host or producer by filling in for someone else who was expected to appear but didn't. You still see that today, with celebs who live close to the filming locales showing up to fill a spot that someone else dropped out of for whatever reason. The only difference is now they'll often tell the audience that was the case, whereas in the old days they'd play it like everything was going as planned.

• Thanks 2

14 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Oh, I didn't even realize he had a new film in the works.

Yep. Quid pro quo. LOL. Saw a commercial for it a week ago.

Not to lay it all on Norton, I believe the second part of the much-beloved Julie Andrews' memoirs are coming out and will no doubt be mentioned on her upcoming TCM appearance.

I figured BEYOND THE FOREST wouldn’t be available for long so I bought it and I can still access it. Somewhere around I have my TCM taped version along with the legit VHS release but this is the one I will reference most often. Bette is way too old for the part and looks ridiculous but she’s still lots of fun to watch and the movie is no stinkeroo. 

• Like 3

On 10/21/2019 at 7:51 AM, Roy Cronin said:

I recall a discussion a few years back when Loretta Young couldn't be identified by the panel of Jeopardy competitors.  I imagine that the same would be true for Greer Garson, Jennifer Jones, Rosalind Russell and countless others.

I remember one of the saddest mornings I ever had watching TV was earlier this year when they had an Oscar trivia quiz on nomination morning, and Greer Garson was presumed to be a man....

• Sad 2

On 10/21/2019 at 6:38 AM, TikiSoo said:

So, I guess it's pointless to tell newbie film fans Joan Bennett was Constance Bennett's kid sister, right?  😮

• Haha 1

I like Bette Davis, so this SOTM is good.

Dennis Miller is funny, so I'm looking forward to his Friday nights.

On 10/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, TikiSoo said:

They may know Joan Bennett more from the original Dark Shadows an then it's later repeats on cable.

On 10/27/2019 at 6:57 PM, CinemaInternational said:

I remember one of the saddest mornings I ever had watching TV was earlier this year when they had an Oscar trivia quiz on nomination morning, and Greer Garson was presumed to be a man....

Confused for Rosey Grier maybe? :D

Finally compiled my list of what to catch in November. I'm intrigued by 

11/6 IMAGE MAKERS (a new documentary about cinematography?)
11/8 THE BIG PICTURE (don't have high hopes for this Chris Guest movie concerning Hollywood, but want to see it anyway)
11/14 THE TALL TARGET (intriguing plot of protecting Lincoln from assassination)

I recommend CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS '67 on the 4th. Don't remember what it was about, but remember enjoying it. (I have memory issues)
Love the moody spirit fantasy WOMAN IN WHITE '48 check it out if you've never seen it.

Really like the short & sweet Bette Davis precodes on the 5th. Her spotlight days are the same old chestnuts, but gives you a chance to see any you may have missed. They're all worth watching if only for Davis' typically juicy performances.

Also really like the 25th fun grouping of excellent evil prison & hospital crime dramas-good job TCM Programmers!