spence

Who Has Gone to any of the TCM Fathom Events, or Plan to?

26 posts in this topic

had to bring this up  mainly because I hoe to go to and for the first time  1962's 7 time Oscar sweeper in beginning of September and for my birthday(55 on November 8th) absolutely must see *The Godfather, Part II (l974) unfortunately I missed out on THE DUKE in True Grit, never saw one of his 154 starring roles in the theatre either?  My first choice woulda been The Searchers and The Quiet Man myself though  I've had the good fortune since about 1982 at age 17 to be able to go & see some classic heavyweights too  in no special order

citizen kane

*GWTW 3 times

it's a wonderful life

rebel without a cause

*West Side Story

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Vertigo

Rear Window

Apocalypse-Redux

Wizard of 0z

Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Public Enemy

and a couple more td

so who's seen a few of these, or plans to check out remaining for this yr 2019, or in the future  my sin of omission everytime somewhere has *The Godfather" I miss it

thanks

(*-always indicates an OSCAR *(AMPAS) winner) Again, still having to write, deal with a dislocated shoulder, it occurred end of May  I feel like John J. McCreedy in Bad Day at Black Rock very often

Reason I bring this up is because I fully intend to go & finally see on the silver-screen the 1962 epic masterpiece and 7 time *Academy Award sweeper *Lawrence of Arabia  very inception of next month  and then for my 55th birthday I hope and plan to go see 1974's *The Godfather, Part II-(though for love or money cannot ever seem to be able to find playing down here anyway my A #1 all-time favorite motion picture in 1972's *The Godfather? I talk to moviebuffs that have though

& missed out on *The Duke's 1969 *Oscar winning turn on True Grit, never as yet got to see one of his in a theatre, first choices though woulda been  The Searchers and or The Quiet Man myself

Have been lucky enough to view some heavyweight classics in a theatre since 1982 at age 17 in no special order>

*GWTW and 3 times!

*Casablanca

Kane

Treasure of the Sierra Madre-(though these idiot at that theatre actually chopped full scenes out!?)

The Public Enemy

It's a Wonderful Life

Apocalypse Now-Redux

Vertigo

Rear window

Guess Who's Coming to Dinner

Rebel Without a Cause

*West Side Story

Wizard of 0z

and a couple more

so please let us know if you've seen any of these annual tcm fathom events or plan to

& my personal WISH-LISDT-(top 5 only)>

*GFI,  Captains Courageous, Black Rock, Some Came Running, Splendor in the Grass or Inside Daisy Clover

THANX

Just now, cigarjoe said:

How many fathoms down did the event go?

If it was far, that would be a lot to fathom.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

How many fathoms down did the event go?

welp, the show approx.-(lifted from my own Walls-of-Fame) approx. 14 per year annually

• Thanks 1

I love going to these events. It always seems to be a mixture of ages and that's great. Sometimes, I look around at the audience members before the films start and wonder if any of them are posters here!

I'm looking forward to September's film, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA! This film holds kind of a silly family tradition:

Upon it's 25 year anniversary in 1987, my mom, my sister and I went to see it every weekend day until it wasn't showing anymore. I think the final count was 8 showings, and it's such a loooong film! We were lucky to live in a city with so many movie theaters. 😃

• Like 1

I'm so glad that Fathom continues to show classic movies each month.  It really is a different experience watching these films on the big screen.  "Lawrence of Arabia" is a big sweeping epic that should be seen on the big screen.  Seeing the twister from "Wizard of Oz" or Raymond Burr lumbering towards James Stewart in "Rear Window" really is much exciting than just seeing it on TV.    Some titles are more appealing that others.  This year it seems like they have about half that are newer classics like "Alien", "Field of Dreams", "Shawshank Redemption".  Our movie theater chain in town will periodically show classic movies too and for a lot less than Fathom charges,  

I think I went to just about every one in 2017 and some last year as well. My local AMC theater runs all of them, I think. However, I got on their A-List program last year. You can see 12 movies every month for $20, and it's supposed to apply to all the movies they show, regardless of whether it's in IMAX or 3-D or what. However, when I tried to use my A-List membership to get into To Kill a Mockingbird for free, I was told A-List doesn't apply to the TCM/Fathom Events. I've gotten very used to coming to my theater and not having to get out my wallet, and suddenly found out I was going to have to pay $12 or whatever. So I didn't go in. I was kinda bummed out by that and haven't been to any of those screening since.

Last night was a one-night only Fathom Events screening of Woodstock: the Director's Cut that I seriously considered attending but ultimately didn't. I don't know if that was a TCM presentation.

• Like 1

My local movie theater has started to show studio era and later films on Sundays and Wednesdays.

Coming up are South Pacific, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Maltese Falcon, and The Big Lebowski. 

I just pick and choose the events that I want to see, not all of them are part of the TCM Big Screen Classics series.  So far, I think I've seen:

Singin' in the Rain

Casablanca

The Maltese Falcon

On the Waterfront

All About Eve

North By Northwest

Rear Window

Some Like it Hot

The Princess Bride

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Philadelphia Story

Vertigo

Sunset Boulevard

White Christmas

This year I've seen:

The Wizard of Oz

To Kill a Mockingbird

Not a TCM event, but this year I also watched The Muppet Movie, Kiki's Delivery Service and I Love Lucy: A Celebration.  I am planning on going to Meet Me in St. Louis at the end of the year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Not a TCM event, but this year I also watched The Muppet Movie, Kiki's Delivery Service and I Love Lucy: A Celebration.  I am planning on going to Meet Me in St. Louis at the end of the year.

No My Neighbor Totoro? Or the Friends 25th anniversary thing?

Looking at the Fathom website, I'd go to Lawrence of ArabiaStar Trek: The Motion PictureAlienThe Godfather Part IISpirited Away, and Princess Mononoke. Alas, there are no Fathom-participating theaters around here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I think I went to just about every one in 2017 and some last year as well. My local AMC theater runs all of them, I think. However, I got on their A-List program last year. You can see 12 movies every month for $20, and it's supposed to apply to all the movies they show, regardless of whether it's in IMAX or 3-D or what. However, when I tried to use my A-List membership to get into To Kill a Mockingbird for free, I was told A-List doesn't apply to the TCM/Fathom Events. I've gotten very used to coming to my theater and not having to get out my wallet, and suddenly found out I was going to have to pay $12 or whatever. So I didn't go in. I was kinda bummed out by that and haven't been to any of those screening since.

Last night was a one-night only Fathom Events screening of Woodstock: the Director's Cut that I seriously considered attending but ultimately didn't. I don't know if that was a TCM presentation.

about a year back I read that some school was now picking on the classic calling it rascist too, luckily never heard another word though

Just now, spence said:

about a year back I read that some school was now picking on the classic calling it rascist too, luckily never heard another word though

my mum actually went to the real Woodstock, at age 24

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

Looking at the Fathom website, I'd go to Lawrence of ArabiaStar Trek: The Motion PictureAlienThe Godfather Part IISpirited Away, and Princess Mononoke. Alas, there are no Fathom-participating theaters around here.

sadly even the local theatre mgr told me he already got to go to the first *GFI & I have yet to be able to do so, anywhere

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I just pick and choose the events that I want to see, not all of them are part of the TCM Big Screen Classics series.  So far, I think I've seen:

Singin' in the Rain

Casablanca

The Maltese Falcon

On the Waterfront

All About Eve

North By Northwest

Rear Window

Some Like it Hot

The Princess Bride

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

The Philadelphia Story

Vertigo

Sunset Boulevard

White Christmas

This year I've seen:

The Wizard of Oz

To Kill a Mockingbird

have any top 3 favs

6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

I doan go to theaters to see movies already on TV.

:D

excellent avatar of Lee (Hector) Marvin in black rock, among my top 3-5 I'd most want to see in a theater and strangely only 81 minutes  Lee always said the did that superb pic as if in real life and the sequence where Tracy walks down to the motel opening the door with 1 arm & says something  stunned Lee because he didn't know he was that good

• Like 1

How do most rate *GFIII (l990) ($67m.) vs the others or in it's own right?

kinda strange don't think they have shown or Mr. Osborne's A #1  A Place in the Sun yet, or have they?

4 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

I think My Neighbor Totoro isn’t (wasn't?) showing at a good time. I don’t need to see “Friends” in the theater. I watched it when it was new and for a million years in syndication, I’m good. 

I saw Princess Mononoke in the theater a couple years ago. I also saw Ponyo and The Secret World of Arrietty. I think I’ve also seen Howl’s Moving Castle in the theater. 

There aren’t anymore films in the TCM series that I want to see—maybe Shawshank Redemption, but that’s it. You couldn’t pay me to sit through Godfather II again. I don’t want to pay theater money to sleep. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, spence said:

kinda strange don't think they have shown or Mr. Osborne's A #1  A Place in the Sun yet, or have they?

I don’t believe they have. TCM seems to choose these films based on an anniversary and/or product they’re promoting. 

2 hours ago, spence said:

have any top 3 favs

Out of my list, 

Rear Window

Casablanca

White Christmas

if I can include my non-TCM Fathom events, I Love Lucy is #1. 

Im waiting for them to show The Long, Long Trailer. 

I went to the Dracula (1931) double feature (the English-language and Spanish-language versions) several years ago. It was really fascinating to see the two versions back-to-back. But Carlos Villarías' performance doesn't come near to Lugosi's performance in the title role (he doesn't own the role to the degree Lugosi does).

More recently I saw the Fathom Events presentation of The Treasure of the Sierra Madre. It wasn't very well attended, but at least the crowd looked diverse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I don’t believe they have. TCM seems to choose these films based on an anniversary and/or product they’re promoting. 

thanks speedracer,  his over his top 4 GP picks were>  A Place in the Sun-(just rewatched it last week, haunting, so much so the late Sydney Pollack talked about being haunted for days after first seeing it), Singin' In the Rain, Sunset Blvd and Random Harvest

His hero was the underrated William Holden and Gene Tierney of the ladies