Sign in to follow this  
CinemaInternational

Peter Fonda (1940-2019)

43 posts in this topic

Often it felt like he was overshadowed by his more famous father and sister, then by his equally famous daughter. But he was certainly a very talented individual.

One of his most played films on cable seems to be WANDA NEVADA (1979), in which a 13 year old Brooke Shields is his "love interest."

Rest in peace.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TopBilled said:

Often it felt like he was overshadowed by his more famous father and sister, then by his equally famous daughter. But he was certainly a very talented individual.

One of his most played films on cable seems to be WANDA NEVADA (1979), in which a 13 year old Brooke Shields is his "love interest."

Rest in peace.

Yea,  Wanda Nevada is played a lot on cable.   I don't think that film would be made today.    

• Thanks 1

Someone wrote a very amusing review for WANDA NEVADA on the IMDb:

I watched this movie in Livingston, Montana when it came out in the local theatre. There were a few rather rowdy folks behind me in an otherwise pretty empty house and they were being a bit noisier than I liked. After a few pointed stares and shushes as the movie started I got PO'D and turned around and flat told them to "shut the Hell up!" It was with some chagrin that about two minutes later I recognized Peter Fonda on screen as the guy sitting behind me...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, CinemaInternational said:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/peter-fonda-dies-symbol-of-a-generation-in-easy-rider-was-79-1202670129/

Brilliant in Ulee's Gold and the icon for a generation with Easy Rider. Son of Henry, Brother to Jane, father to Bridget.

Wow! "Icon for a generation" certainly describes Peter Fonda, alright. As a 17 year old in 1969 and already being into motorcycling at that age, seeing Easy Rider on the big screen for the first time will always be a fresh memory to me.

peter-fonda-s-easy-rider-harley-will-be- 

All my buddies I rode with back then would have killed to have had his "Captain America" bike, AND to have been as cool as he portrayed his Wyatt character to be in this film.

(...R.I.P., Peter)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

His early film appearances were noteworthy.

He had a delicacy that was most attractive and refreshing.

Later on, he decided to toughen up the image.

But I could never forget him in the one with Jean Seberg and Warren Beatty.

Peter+Fonda+&+Jean+Seberg.jpg

RIP, Peter.

• Like 1

Just now, rayban said:

His early film appearances were noteworthy.

He had a delicacy that was most attractive and refreshing.

Later on, he decided to toughen up the image.

But I could never forget him in the one with Jean Seberg and Warren Beatty.

RIP, Peter.

Lilith! Oh yes, he was exceptional in that. That whole film was very underrated. Quite risque for 1964. Warren Beatty, that might be his finest performance, and Jean Seburg was at her best too. Also really early appearances from Gene Hackman, Jessica Walter, and Olympia Dukakis (unbilled). Would be nice if it turned up on TCM someday.

• Like 2

Most will mention his turns in Easy Rider and Ulee's Gold, and he was perfect in both films, but I also liked him in his early "sensitive guy" role in Lilith, his first iconic biker movie The Wild Angels, his directorial debut on The Hired Hand, 70's exploitation classics Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry and Race with the Devil, an obscure but fun genre film from the 1980's named Dance of the Dwarfs aka Jungle Heat, and his late-career turn as an ex-hippie villain in The Limey.

Peter+Fonda+&+Jean+Seberg.jpg

Wild-Angels2.jpg

1158067_orig.jpg

51Wu-ZoQpEL._SX385_.jpg

race-with-the-devil-15.jpg

5855-4318.jpg

MV5BMTIzNDI3MzQ1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTky

• Like 9

He was quite memorable in a 1964 episode of "The Alfred Hitchcock Hour" that was titled "The Return of Verge Likens".

Return+of+Verge+Likens.1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And we must not forget the Jane and Peter Fonda segment from "Spirits of the Dead" (1968) that was titled, "Metzengerstein" - 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfjao0f8-RRNoiznKGb7D

598c655b7b5acfb5229b649c35e86907.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, rayban said:

And we must not forget the Jane and Peter Fonda segment from "Spirits of the Dead" (1968) that was titled, "Metzengerstein" - 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfjao0f8-RRNoiznKGb7D

598c655b7b5acfb5229b649c35e86907.jpg

A really good film. Peter is the "virtuous" antipode to Jane's cruel baroness who torments everyone. I really like that one.

• Like 1

I feel Jane's pain.   Just placed my brother's ashes over the ocean in Seal Beach CA yesterday;   this is the place he wanted since it was where we fished as teens.

• Like 6

Just learned about his passing on NBC4.  RIP

Jane, Henry and Peter during the 1950's

7d199466d4b77d59cb5f9cc814f7fc39.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

https://deadline.com/2019/08/peter-fonda-dies-symbol-of-a-generation-in-easy-rider-was-79-1202670129/

Brilliant in Ulee's Gold and the icon for a generation with Easy Rider. Son of Henry, Brother to Jane, father to Bridget.

His sole acting shot of course was Ulee, but lost to Nicholson in As Good as It Gets-(my Alternate Oscar though that year went to Duvall's astonishing work in The Apostle)

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Would be nice if it turned up on TCM someday.

Lilith has aired on TCM at least once. I know, because I saw it. I think it was when Gene Hackman was SOTM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Peter Fonda was a guy who was always around in my movie-viewing life, but I just haven't seen a ton of his movies. Here's all that I have seen. You can tell I would easily go 10 years between Fonda viewings. No offense. He certainly followed his own muse and had a very long career.

1963 Tammy and the Doctor (Universal)
1964 Lilith (Columbia)
1966 Wild Angels (AIP)
1967 The Trip (AIP)
1969 Easy Rider (Columbia)
1981 The Cannonball Run (20th Century Fox)
1996 Escape from L.A. (Paramount)
2007 Ghost Rider (Columbia)
2007 Wild Hogs (Touchstone)

• Like 1

As others have stated he will probably be best remembered for "Easy Rider" and "Ulee's Gold" (he came closest to channeling his father here). I have long been searching for "Two People" a 1973 Robert Wise film co starrring Lindsay Wagner, I hope it becomes available.

A trivia note-he had inspired John Lennon to write the lyrics for the Beatles' song "She Said She Said. While on an LSD trip with Lennon, Fonda kept saying "I know what it's like to be dead".

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Peter Fonda was a guy who was always around in my movie-viewing life, but I just haven't seen a ton of his movies. Here's all that I have seen. You can tell I would easily go 10 years between Fonda viewings. No offense. He certainly followed his own muse and had a very long career.

1964 Lilith (Columbia)
1966 Wild Angels (AIP)
1967 The Trip (AIP)

He had a memorable nude scene in "The Trip".

p7754_i_h12_ac.jpg?d=270x360&q=50

It might be time for a re-evaluation of his work.

"The Young Lovers" aired recently on TCM.

cb42b3b8eb5b06c88fa94ad9c8005494.jpg

15 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

Went to Ulee's Gold upon release in late summer '97 & knew he'd earn an Oscar shot, but had no chance to win a fine movie (***-out of 4)

He & Hopper didn't get along fir decades though

His legendary pop was a heavyweight though

They appeared once together on screen in a 1979 dud (*1/2) Wanda Nevada

• Like 1

11 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

1964 Lilith (Columbia)
1966 Wild Angels (AIP)
1967 The Trip (AIP)

you forgot Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry.

:D