Athos

Actors You Would Have Liked To See Play Bond?

53 posts in this topic

I'm glad somebody mentioned timothy Dalton because he gets no respect for playing bond and I think he deserved a few more shots at it. when he's behind the wheel of his car I've always liked the cool way he says 'optional extras'.

:)

Image result for timothy dalton 007 license to kill

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

My choice would have been:

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.21.31 PM.jpeg

Stanley Baker

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.39.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.39.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.40.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.41.09 PM.png

I was thinking Stanley baker too.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I was thinking Stanley baker too.

Yes. I was surprised he hadn't been mentioned yet.

Here's a good clip with Stanley Baker. He was an exceptional actor...tough but also tender when the scene called for it:

If Patrick McGoohan had played Bond, and the movies were more like The Ipcress File, and they were directed by Otto Preminger they would...have been very different from the Bond movies we know.  There wouldn't be so many of them.  But I suspect my late mother would have liked them much more.  She couldn't stand Bond.

Cary Grant was infinitely cooler than any Bond.

Idea for a great Bond actor:  Catherine Deneuve. 

9 hours ago, skimpole said:

Cary Grant was infinitely cooler than any Bond.

I had read that Grant agreed to do the role for 1 film but turned it down because he did not want to sign on for a series of films. He was getting old and grey by the time of "Dr No", though "Charade" gives a idea how he would be as Bond. He does a great fight scene with hook handed George Kennedy (he would have been an excellent Bond villain). 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Maybe a young Richard Harris?

Image result for young richard harris

Not a bad suggestion here, Peebs. Yeah, I can see this.

(...my only question here being: Would James Bond ever actually find a cake that's been left out in the rain and with its sweet green icing flowing down?...oh, no)

;)

• Haha 3

best-peter-finch-movies-u1?w=817&h=427&f

"I'm as mad as hell...that nobody has mentioned MY name in this thing yet! I could have maybe played Bond in my younger days TOO, you know!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

.my only question here being: Would James Bond ever actually find a cake that's been left out in the rain and with its sweet green icing flowing down?...oh, no)

I was thinking more "This Sporting Life" Richard Harris not MacArthur Park Richard Harris.😉

(...I don't think that I can take it/'Cause it took so long to bake it/And I'll never have that recipe again...)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Bernard Cribbins

:D

Image result for bernard cribbins

OH, you mean the guy they used to call "The British Jay Leno"???

(...naaaah, sorry Nip...I'm just not seein' it here with this guy) ;)

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Richard Todd would have been good also.

Image result for Richard Todd actor

Good suggestion. He's one of my favorites.

I'm not sure he would be a great Bond, but I thought Matt Damon as Jason Bourne was fantastic. Obviously, Bourne and Bond were very different characters. Still I wish they would do more Bourne films. 

I've read they're actually thinking of retiring Bond as 007 and introducing a new female 007 at MI-6. I'm not sure that will go over well with many of us older fans of James Bond. I guess it's a creative way to keep the franchise alive for the next generation of movie goers.

I'm still trying to think of who I would like to play Bond when Daniel Craig hangs up his Walther PPK.

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'm not sure he would be a great Bond, but I thought Matt Damon as Jason Bourne was fantastic. Obviously, Bourne and Bond were very different characters. Still I wish they would do more Bourne films

Have you seen any of the Mission Impossible movies?  The first few aren't so great but once the series gets rolling (from Ghost Protocol forward) they are a lot of fun with great bad guys and impressive action.  Cruise is making two more, reportedly.  Fun movies to see on the big screen.

I wouldn't mind if they just found an unknown actor to take over Bond, if they found the right person.  I don't believe that they'll hand over the franchise to a female Bond.  I think there may be a female agent but not a replacement for Bond.  

18 hours ago, TopBilled said:

My choice would have been:

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.21.31 PM.jpeg

Stanley Baker

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.39.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.39.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.40.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-18 at 8.41.09 PM.png

Baker was actually shortlisted for the first Bond movie. But that's the face of a man who drinks beer, not a martini made to exacting standards.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Baker was actually shortlisted for the first Bond movie. But that's the face of a man who drinks beer, not a martini made to exacting standards.

Don't agree with that assessment (obviously). A man who drinks beer is not going to be posing in front of a Rolls Royce. I think he was a man who drank beer AND martinis. In fact, I think he would have been a much more versatile Bond than some of the ones we did have over the years.

The main reason I "shortlisted" him is because I think he has a much more potent form of masculinity than Moore and Brosnan (and I like Moore and Brosnan very much). But I feel Bond needs to be able to get down and dirty every once in a while. Some of the Bonds have been a bit effete. At his core, Bond is not just a spy-- he's a warrior.

Did anybody see my request for a Bond Spotlight on the Friday Night Spotlight board?  I am so excited about this too.  Because my wish and request actually came true.  This will be so fantastic.  I know he didn’t actually have an accent.  But after seeing the part in Alfred Hitchcock’s North By Northwest where Carey Grant is looking up at the house and listening to the people’s conversation.  Like he’s investigating the situation?  I think he would have been a really cool James Bond too.  Carey Grant actually reminds me of Sir Sean Connery’s James Bond.  His hairstyle and if the last Bond would have been Daniel Creag’s last one?  I think Hugh Jackman would have been a great one too.  I thought about Arnold S.  But I’m not sure.  He’s a really wonderful actor though.  Isn’t he and I’m glad Daniel Creag is coming back.

On 8/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, Athos said:

This is a tougher one to picture I think because we all have an image of Reed as Bill Sikes or Athos in The Three Musketeers.

I think of Oliver Reed like this:

I forgot to mention that I am also a really huge Carey Grant fan.  That’s also one of the reasons why I also would have wanted him to play James Bond after seeing him in that part of Alfred Hitchcock’s North By Northwest I was talking about.