spence

Is Citizen Kane the greatest ever made?

35 posts in this topic

TTst that know me my personal favorite movies are *The Godfather (l90l-90) Trilogy (l992 non theatrical version) & all know TCM obviously still cannot broadcast them?

So, my candidate for thee single finest film I've ever seen is of course CITIZEN KANE (l94l RKO Radio)  it's astonishing creative in every way to start with. & *0rson's performance must rank among the finest ever! (*Coop won instead in Sergeant York actually a picture *Ford thought was better then his)

However he made early enemies with WR Hearst concerning ROSEBUD, a very pvt matter to say the least  Plus, to many NY actors are in it.

So when it came to the Academy (AMPAS) Awards it did earn 9 nominations, but the looming Hearst loomed over the Oscars & it only took home Best Writing Gold  Where is the Hollywood beloved & magificent How Green was My Valley (Fox) swept 5.

They even (RKO brass) went so far as t lock him out of the studio, so he could not finish 1942' Magnificent Amnbersons (RKO Radio) Then editor *R. Wise tacked on a happy ending instead & they musta cut 40 minutes down to 88

1 hour ago, LawrenceA said:

No.

well whats your vote

There is no such thing as the 'greatest'.   (well,  except in the minds of a certain now-deceased boxer and a President).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yep, I'VE always thought it was the greatest movie ever made.

Well, the greatest movie ever made about a sled, anyway.

And so if you're REALLY into sleds and you always thought that 1953 flick Freddy Gets His Flexible Flyer was good, then Citizen Kane should REALLY float your boat!!!

(...err, I mean sled I suppose...although of course, sleds don't float like boats do, huh...sorry, bad metaphor there, but YOU know what I mean!)

• Like 1

thanks to all and I know wat he means greatest vs favorite

like c. courageous or bad day at black rick are among my too 5 favs but have no illusions they are superior i a   kane, c. courageous or black rock,  dumbo (l94l Disney/RKO version)  but don't have illusions the are superior to likes of a kane, godfather, vertigo

7 hours ago, hamradio said:

How about 'the most magnificent movie" ever? 

MV5BYjUyZWZkM2UtMzYxYy00ZmQ3LWFmZTQtOGE2

and still biggest hit adjusted   think it only cost 23 cents for a ticket in 1838

11 hours ago, hamradio said:

How about 'the most magnificent movie" ever? 

MV5BYjUyZWZkM2UtMzYxYy00ZmQ3LWFmZTQtOGE2

Really?    The story about a spoiled brat and her love of a rather weak man forms the basis of the greatest movie ever?

To Each His Own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is no "greatest" film.  That is highly subjective. The Godfather films are supposed to be among the "greatest" of all time. For me, they are incredibly boring and dull and I don't wish to see any of them ever again.

I do like Citizen Kane, but it's not something that I would need to watch all the time.

In my opinion, The Long, Long Trailer is the greatest movie of all time, because it's my favorite.

• Like 2

I'm pretty sure it was scientifically established that the Greatest Movie of All Time is The Disorderly Orderly (1964). If you disagree, then you don't understand science.

Disorderly+orderly+00.jpg

• Haha 3

58 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Really?    The story about a spoiled brat and her love of a rather weak man forms the basis of the greatest movie ever?

To Each His Own. 

Like how the GWTW poster was done...hot burning passionate love. :D

All I can say is that KANE is one of my favorites, and too I suppose what makes it "great" to many are it's innovations of cinematography and story telling.  Movie making changed a lot after that and the possibilities  and accomplishments in cinematography and editing vastly improved too. 

If it's the "greatest" anything, I'd say it's the greatest directorial debut.  ;)  

Sepiatone

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Like how the GWTW poster was done...hot burning passionate love. :D

In the film it is rape.

• Haha 1

I'm surprised some group of crackpots, like the ones that tried it with BEN-HUR, didn't come forward and claim KANE's last word "Rosebud" was his deathbed declaration of his latent homosexuality!  :wacko:  ;)

Sepiatone

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There is much that is great about CK.  The strong visual sense, including the (for then, rare) use of ceiled sets.  Masterful use of deep focus.  Great lighting.  Strong performances, most notably by the star.

But as others have duly noted, there probably is no such thing as "the great film."  It's all subjective. And it's generational. And it's based on available technology.

Finally, for a film to be "great," at least to me, it has to touch me emotionally.  Kane doesn't do that.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

I'm surprised some group of crackpots, like the ones that tried it with BEN-HUR, didn't come forward and claim KANE's last word "Rosebud" was his deathbed declaration of his latent homosexuality!  :wacko:  ;)

Sepiatone

Nope, it has by now become fairly known exactly what "ROSEBUD"

but on here I may get into trouble & certainly do not want that friends

In short it had all to do with Hearst girlfriend/actress Marion Davis (l897-0l96l) pvt parts ok 

now people know why he was so darn furious Even *0rson yrs later in the early '80's admitted such  it was just a nickname WR gave her on that pt of her anatomy, & he caught wind of it somewhere & was obviously relentless

The duos first nasty encounter was when *Orson was invited to the legendary Hearst Castle (still all intact, for now anyway) think it was *H. Mankiewicz with him?-(TRIVIA: our very own Ben's granddaddy by the way) & at a fancy dinner WR & *Welles got into a fight over bullfighting, which WR detested. Welp, at only 24-25 *Orson never let up from that argument)

On 8/21/2019 at 10:51 AM, jamesjazzguitar said:

To Each His Own. 

tojamesjazzguitar, did you cite the 1946 *Olivia de Havilland(l9l6-) *Oscar winner? & typically of todsays pc era

The Adjusted for Inflation Highest Grossing Motion Picture Ever Made *GWTW (l939 Selznick/MGM) is now facing backlash over rascism big-time!  They seem to look around at things and pick on them, don't they  About a year back they started on To Kill a Mockingbird (l962) of all things? 

8 minutes ago, spence said:

tojamesjazzguitar, did you cite the 1946 *Olivia de Havilland(l9l6-) *Oscar winner? & typically of todsays pc era

Yes,  I typed this to look like the title of that Olivia movie.   Not because I believe it is the greatest film,  but to see if anyone would notice.     Bravo.

I don't understand the 'typically of today's PC era' comment.    Is the film viewed negatively today for how it dealt with an unmarried women having a child?     To me the film is very frank and open,  given when it was made.

A never ending debate. A good debate but a debate with no winners or losers. There does not have to be a winner or a loser. Asking such a question is a lot like asking who was the greatest human being of the 20th Century, or the greatest event of the 20th century, and the list can go on and on for miles and miles, with no end is sight.

The easiest way to do this is to be honest about your choices and over time whether it be short or long, one can change their minds about what they consider best, great, most liked, most revered, favorite and so on.

It is so subjective.

My own personal favorite of all time...

A 1938 film featuring grown men in green tights...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

My own personal favorite of all time...

A 1938 film featuring grown men in green tights...

Ah yes...Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars.

mars.jpg?w=584

• Haha 5

35 minutes ago, fxreyman said:

Asking such a question is a lot like asking who was the greatest human being of the 20th Century, or the greatest event of the 20th century

That's easy - the greatest human being of the 20th Century was Tim Jenkins (1922-1996) of 1483 County Rd 5, Longville, Minnesota. The greatest event of the 20th Century was the opening of the Office Depot in Lincoln, Nebraska in April of 2003.

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

30 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

That's easy - the greatest human being of the 20th Century was Tim Jenkins (1922-1996) of 1483 County Rd 5, Longville, Minnesota. The greatest event of the 20th Century was the opening of the Office Depot in Lincoln, Nebraska in April of 2003.

Ah yes, Tim Jenkins.

To this very day, mankind has never been able to fully thank him for his accidental invention of the frozen Kool-Aid Popsicle, and after that one fateful Longville Minnesota January day when he forgetfully left his glass of the stuff out on his veranda overnight.

Nope, never would've happen if he had lived in warmer climes.

And so from all of us here, thank you Tim Jenkins, wherever you are. You are NOT forgotten!

(...and unlike that aforementioned glass of Kool-Aid)

• Haha 2