Sign in to follow this  
JakeHolman

Should Netflix be worried about Apple's new $6B streaming service?

17 posts in this topic

Netflix should be worried of their lack of a library of interesting films. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Apple is worried about the Disney price point. Apple wanted to price their service at $15/mo. And that's now considered high.

When November comes, people are going to have to cobble together whatever combination of services suits their needs. And that should worry all of those companies. Especially Netflix , which is losing so much content to their future rivals.

4 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I would have to agree. It seems Netflix is devoted to comedians and true crime. Which is nice but, not for me.

On 8/21/2019 at 11:33 AM, cigarjoe said:

Yeah but Netflix has Mindhunter. That is good enough for me.

11 hours ago, Gershwin fan said:

Yeah but Netflix has Mindhunter. That is good enough for me.

Coincidentally, I was watching that the other day.😁

how many streaming services am i going to have to subscribe to

• Thanks 1

Netflix has a good amount of things I'm interested in, but not enough. The home page alone is completely overcrowded with all of their original series/movies. Am I the only one who's sick of seeing sub-par movies/shows?

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

Netflix has a good amount of things I'm interested in, but not enough. The home page alone is completely overcrowded with all of their original series/movies. Am I the only one who's sick of seeing sub-par movies/shows?

The problem may be that we don't all agree on what are sub-par movies and shows. People rave about stuff all the time that I'm left underwhelmed with when I finally get around to watching them. Conversely, I'll be impressed with something I see, but then the general consensus seems to be that said film/show was terrible.

That being said, I can't say that I've been that impressed with any Netflix original, outside of a movie or two.

Is there anyone around here who is interested in the Apple streaming service? I haven't seen anyone on any other site say that they are, but that's a limited range.

24 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

People in my life are saying the same things. You are not alone.

28 minutes ago, NickAndNora34 said:

how many streaming services am i going to have to subscribe to

We have to choose from:

• Acorn TV Price: $5 per month or $50 per year.

• Amazon Prime Video Price: $119 per year or $13 per month

• AT&T WatchTV Price: Free for AT&T Unlimited and Unlimited Premium wireless subscribers, $15 per month for everyone else.

• BritBox Price: $7 a month, or $70 annually

• CBS All Access Price: $6 per month with ads or $10 per month ad-free.

• The Criterion Channel Price: $11 per month or $100 for an annual subscription.

• DC Universe $8 per month or $75 for a yearly subscription.

• ESPN+ Price: $5 per month or $50 per year for the basic service.

• HBO Now Price: $15 per month.

• Hulu Price: $6 per month with ads or $12 per month without ads.

• Netflix Price: $9 per month

• Showtime Price: $11 per month

• Starz Price: $9 per month.

• Apple TV+  “weighing” a price of $9.99 per month
  • Discovery/BBC likely to cost somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 per month.
  • Disney+  $7 per month, or $70 if paid annually

• HBO Max

• NBCUniversal

And that's not a total list.

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

And that's not a total list.

Yes, but very well done. The $9 Netflix is for SD. To me, that is lame. $13 for HD. UHD is $16.

There are numerous live services as well. Many cost just like cable or satellite.

I stay with cable because streaming would not save me much and some channels don't stream.

I don't pity Netflix. They killed the DVD rental store.

From what I've gathered, HBO Now and DC Universe will be rolled into HBO Max when that gets going.

Hulu is now owned by Disney, and will be connected to/rolled into Disney+. Hulu will continue to operate, as that will be the dumping place for any R-rated Fox material. Disney+ will have nothing above a PG-13 rating. ESPN will also be rolled into Disney+.

Amazon Prime already offers the option to sign up for "channels" through their system, including many of the pay-TV streaming channels listed above (Showtime, BritBox, Cinemax, etc.).

So it's slowly going to consolidate.

The free with commercials market is growing like a weed. I think free is becoming competitive. My cable box now includes XUMO and Pluto TV. The Flex service through Comcast, a streaming only box for Internet customers, starts off with many freebies.

Netflix kinda has their eggs in one basket. That could hurt. Someone may buy their streaming business, putting them back where they started.

4 minutes ago, The Keeper said:

The Flex service through Comcast, a streaming only box for Internet customers, starts off with many freebies.

I hadn't heard of this. That may be something I'm interested in looking in to.

12 hours ago, The Keeper said:

These big corporations are so money driven, they just run to wherever the market points. 

12 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

So it's slowly going to consolidate.

No, it's very quickly consolidating. The big bucks run to the next "thing" and try to be the dominant winner- like a dog pile on the rabbit.

I think this will evolve for the independent, niche providers to emerge for awhile. Until the dominators buy up all competition, like Disney has.

I was excited MrTiki subscribed to Netflix. I used to be able to see hard to find classic and a few very obscure films when they dealt in disks. Streaming is hugely disappointing. I watched a few episodes of some recommended shows, but wasn't impressed at all. What happened to their classic titles?

We, the classic film fans are not "mainstream" by any means, so none of the giant corps are "worried" at all.

There's enough non thinking consumers out there evident by the plethora of chain restaurants serving prepackaged food like Cracker Barrel, Olive Garden & Golden Corral Buffet.

hqdefault.jpg

17 hours ago, The Keeper said:

That depends on what you think "the DVD rental store" IS:  

The reason we have this current issue-laden Millennial demonization of the very act of renting physical movies from some location as "Ho ho...Blockbuster Video!  SO 90's!  Let's dig out our Alanis Morrissette CD's for irony, and rent Lethal Weapon IV!" is because in most areas, for a late-90's/early-00's generation growing up, Blockbuster, and its tacky highway-supermarket merchandising of inconvenient overpriced rentals with high cineplex-like overhead was literally the only game in town.  That's how Netflix-By-Mail DID kill Blockbuster, may it rest in pieces. 

In the city college-districts and their suburbs, though, local chains did most of the business (before psychological dependency on Netflix-by-mail killed those too), since most Blockbusters were too big and overbuilt to be on Main Street except in the chain-flagship districts.  When I went to college in Boston, VideoSmith was the local chain of choice in the college-towns and suburbs, with small book-nook rentals and a habit of stocking the classics and smaller titles.  (We also had a Tower Records, where the first floor had a rare-title rental that staggered description 😮 , but what happened to them is another story.)

It created a culture-war Blockbuster vs. Mom-&-Pop debate among disk fans of whether a "Video rental" should be a library of past classics to browse, or, like digital tried to be, a studio-sycophantic second-run theater service where you grab your bucks and run to watch "Godzilla: King of the Monsters" three months later if you missed it in theaters.  We know whose side BB was on, but Netflix-by-mail appealed more to the mom-&-pop La-z-boy cineaste that liked to browse the back catalog.

16 hours ago, The Keeper said:

The free with commercials market is growing like a weed. I think free is becoming competitive. My cable box now includes XUMO and Pluto TV. The Flex service through Comcast, a streaming only box for Internet customers, starts off with many freebies.

Most of the Free-with-ads services--for obvious reasons--can't afford to show much, and the selection tends to be the Greatest Hits of Public Domain.

That's how PlutoTV started out (with a little help from Shout Factory), but now that Viacom has become its parent company, their Paramount movies and Viacom cable reruns have livened up the programming considerably.  It's actually become my first-click service when I turn on the TV, since the "random" programming satisfies the ancient DNA memory of the old 80's-90's cable viewer that used to sit down, grab his remote and click channels to see "what was on".  There's still a need for free no-obligation Random broadcast programming, ever since our culture adopted an "A la carte" system where you only watched the movies and shows you'd heard of, without being exposed to anything new.

Now, if any of the other big houses started taking their programming to free-with-ads, we'd see some healthy competition, but with PlutoTV as the biggest/only kid on the block, they get first choice at the PD Paramount, Columbia, Warner and MGM/UA Orphans.

4 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

These big corporations are so money driven, they just run to wherever the market points. 

No, it's very quickly consolidating. The big bucks run to the next "thing" and try to be the dominant winner- like a dog pile on the rabbit.

I cannot believe that "Dogpile on the rabbit!" has now entered our culture as a meme-worthy Thing:  😅

But yes, they won't consolidate:  Each new service doesn't quite understand that Netflix, no matter how far it sinks into "Standup and true crime", will still have the generational legendary association with The One Service That Provides Everything, and wonder why the attempt to replicate the Magic Formula isn't working for them.  (It even had their own corporate NAME on the service, and all!)

Like the last Digital-VOD Gold Rush, some will fall, some will merge, some will change their names/motif, but only a very few will be brave enough to drop out before the herd is culled.  Audiences don't want "a new service", they want the New Netflix that they entrusted their blind faith to when they dropped cable, and Disney+ or HBOMax has big shoes to fill taking that role.  Shame about the others, though.

3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Very true. Out here, San Francisco's KFOG is coming to an end. A beloved (different) Rock FM. Owned by a big radio broadcasting corporation. It will simulcast a sports AM station.

• Sad 1