Dr. Somnambula

Comcast moved TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

180 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, GGGGerald said:

I have had SlingTV almost since it began. And its the same price now as it was then. 

Does Sling TV carry offer TCM? I just ran to their website and it wasn't one of the many logos featured. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, laffite said:

I have no idea what kind of service Filmstruck had. I'm just saying that I would stream TCM for $10 a month.

I don't do streaming and it seems you have to subscribe to a lot of separate services to get a full range of offerings.  As for over the air, its good if it works.  I can get 4 NC ETV stations, 4 SC ETV stations and about 8 over "networks."  7 of them show noting but old TV shows and none appeal to me.

I do agree that it would be nice to delete all the sports shows, but doubt that will happen. 

My comment on sports fans subsidizing TCM fans to some degree was in reference to cable and similar where people are locked in to Tiers and not able to select specific "networks."  By having all the sports fans sign up for cable, they subsidize the very limited number of people who watch TCM.

Incidentally, I have no liking for sports and never watch any of them.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:13 PM, GGGGerald said:

That's how the cable companies do it, put all the good channels on a higher tier to squeeze more money out of their customers. To make up for all the customers they are losing.

SlingTV charges and extra $5 for TCM but, I only pay a total of $35 so I don't mind.

As I understand it, TCM insisted that Comcast move them to a more expensive package as they are charging the cable companies more to carry TCM.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that TCM doesn't have commercials so they have to charge the cable companie more in order to stay on the air?

1 hour ago, filmnoirguy said:

As I understand it, TCM insisted that Comcast move them to a more expensive package as they are charging the cable companies more to carry TCM.  Maybe it has something to do with the fact that TCM doesn't have commercials so they have to charge the cable companie more in order to stay on the air?

I get that they want more money for TCM. 

After looking into Sling I found that they don't include local channels but TCM is available. The cheaper package of Sling only allows you to watch it on one device, whether that's a phone, laptop or TV. The other package lets you watch on more devices & it's more expensive.

18 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

Yeah, I was waiting for Ghidorah, the Three-headed Monster and I lose tcm before I can see it.

Yeah, I tuned in for that too and instead I saw Comcast, the Three-headed Monster (TV, Internet, & Voice) on my screen telling me to subscribe.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, JasonLeeIsAGod said:

I get that they want more money for TCM. 

After looking into Sling I found that they don't include local channels but TCM is available. The cheaper package of Sling only allows you to watch it on one device, whether that's a phone, laptop or TV. The other package lets you watch on more devices & it's more expensive.

There's a reason why its so cheap. :lol:.

I use an OTA antenna for locals. I've noticed that even the cable companies don't include "all" the locals. Here in LA there are new channels popping up regularly. I tell my friends who have DirecTV and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

Frankly, I'd rather have control over my locals. But, that's me.

3 hours ago, mariaki said:

Does Sling TV carry offer TCM? I just ran to their website and it wasn't one of the many logos featured. 

Its part of the Hollywood Package for $5 more.

I'm not recommending SlingTV. I'm just telling of my experience. Each person has to look at what's important to them. SlingTV is cheap and has what I want to watch.. As the former poster posted, SlingTV doesn't come with local channels.

to NIPKOWDISC

Last night's schedule:

Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
Invasion of Astro-Monster (1965)
<gap>
Son of Godzilla (1967)
(P) Destroy All Monsters (1969)
Ghoulies (1985)

Did anyone watch during the "gap" to see what was actually broadcast? 

They actually showed Hot Spell in 3D,but not in Canada due to  rights issues  TCM Canada showed the EXTENDED Dracula aka Horror of Dracula with the e😂xtra 30 seconds ending i think it was also a premiere....

😂

1 hour ago, GGGGerald said:

There's a reason why its so cheap. :lol:.

I use an OTA antenna for locals. I've noticed that even the cable companies don't include "all" the locals. Here in LA there are new channels popping up regularly. I tell my friends who have DirecTV and they have no clue what I'm talking about.

Frankly, I'd rather have control over my locals. But, that's me.

As a Directv subscriber, I knew there had to be some counterpoint somewhere to this whole situation.

3 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

As a Directv subscriber, I knew there had to be some counterpoint somewhere to this whole situation.

There's pros and cons to all things. I was at a family members home once and somehow the show Laugh In came up in conversation. And it just happened to be on at that moment. Yet, they had no access to that channel.

Too each their own. I just hope you all can get the service that fulfills your needs.

I'll try to  call. I'm not adding a sports package to get TCM. This is another dumb corporate decision at Comcast. And they don't get why cable is taking a hit.

5 minutes ago, GGGGerald said:

There's pros and cons to all things. I was at a family members home once and somehow the show Laugh In came up in conversation. And it just happened to be on at that moment. Yet, they had no access to that channel.

Too each their own. I just hope you all can get the service that fulfills your needs.

I also have a regular digital antenna which works fine, if you are talking about subchannels...  There is the question about Directv policies, but no news yet.  For now that wonderful polystyrene-coated dish (or whatever the hell they made it from) still pulls in TCM.

One of my local sports talk radio stations did an interesting thing where several show hosts recorded themselves asking their kids, all post-millennials, I guess, all born after 2000, how many different channels they could name, maybe a half dozen kids total. What was interesting was every single child immediately had to ask his or her parent what a "channel" was. The word was not part of their vocabulary. A couple of them said you mean like the Disney Channel? And we all know how many zillions of channels there are now. And I think the best any kid did was still in the single digits. Most of them could only name about three, and usually they were all part of the same family, like different Disney channels. A very small sample size, but it indicates to me kids don't watch TV anymore. They watch YouTube, maybe stream "Friends" or "The Office" on Netflix (shows that are over, but it's new to them), and that's about it. Otherwise, they're texting each other. The Disney Channel or Nickleodeon being about the only exceptions. Some of the PBS cartoons for the really young. There is no more aimlessly flipping around the TV like I used to do before I had Internet at home.

So, I don't know what cable has planned for the future. But unless they can get YouTube off the Internet and on to cable, I think they're in trouble. I don't know how much kids even watch these sports that every one here seems to have disdain for. Baseball's the only sport I care about, but it has the oldest demographic of any of them. Football dominates. Basketball does all right. But I don't know that the kids really watch games live on TV. Maybe they catch the highlights on YouTube. Also, I think more people by far catch the Car Karaoke and Jimmy Fallon playing ping-pong with a celebrity and the latest SNL sketch later on YouTube or other services than on their initial TV airing. On Demand is a pretty nice feature, if you can afford it, I suppose.

Mine was removed a bit later than most of your's. It was removed earlier today and I was going to watch In the Mood for Love on TCM on Demand too. :( I wish they would at least leave us that option if they have to take the channel. Really though I try to find films for free online (usually through Mega service if I can). In this day, there are many options available to find films where you don't even have to pay a cent.

FYI- On Friday with no notice Xfinity Concast moved TCM to a higher tier charging $10.00 more month to watch TCM!☹️

22 hours ago, JasonLeeIsAGod said:

Sadly Sir Graves Ghastly is no longer on this earthly plane. He died in 2007. But he was an original! Count Gore started in the early 70s & ended in the late 80s (cable killed our TV vampire).

Count Gore is Dick Dysel. He was, for a while, our Bozo the Clown & also our afternoon kid's show host Capt. 20, but his first love is & has always been Count Gore.

He'll be hosting a showing of "The Exorcist" at the AFI Theatre in Silver Spring, MD on Oct. 26. He's still around & he.is.awesome. because he's "mine". I watched him daily as a kid then every Saturday nite with my father.

The first time I met him was a horror con that was hosting Christopher Lee. I didn't know he was going to be there but when I came around a corner & saw him I almost cried. I totally fangirled over him. He was the guy that introduced me to horror in general & I told him how grateful I was that he was there & still working & interacting with us fans.

"Sir Graves" replaced a popular late night/Saturday matinee horror movie host, "Morgus the Magnificent" by the early '70's.   Detroit had one BOZO( the clown, as politicians that fit that description were plentiful  ;)  ) Who, after several years, changed his costume and VIOLA! He became OOPSY the Clown. Children's TV hosts were plentiful in the late '60's(and before) and here in Detroit we were also able to get many CANADIAN children's TV shows and hosts.  Two that tickled me( as I saw them due to a 13 year younger than I kid sister) was THE FRIENDLY GIANT("look up....look WAY-y-y-y up!") and a weird dude that went by the moniker "Mr. Dressup".  My sister loved 'em, but I got my Mom to do a "spit take" with her coffee one morning when I asked, "Mr. DRESSUP?  Isn't that what they called the guy down the street who was always wearing his wife's clothes?"  ;) 

Sepiatone

Interesting thing I learned about Bozo was that he was sort of a franchise. If you had a Bozo show you were supposed to do certain things. Our Bozo, Mr. Dyzel, decided to do his own thing & I don't think they liked it. 

They wanted more sketches & gags & he did games & things like that instead.

They had a land-the-ball-in-the-bucket game & I think there were 10 buckets with different degrees of prizes listed on cards. No kid had ever hit #10, UNTIL ONE KID DID. There was no real prize in it so when the kid hit it he vamped for a few minutes & moved on. The kid did get a prize though I can't recall what it was.

Much like kids today, the Horror Hosts have moved to the internet. There's plenty still there & they're still active. You can find most of them at horror cons too & this time of year they're everywhere.

Honestly, I watch a lot of stuff later on Youtube, the net or I just DVR it so I can skip any commercials. There don't seem to be many "water cooler" shows any more. The last I remember for me was "Lost." Now it's "Masked Singer" but even now I DVR it & try to catch the singing bits on Youtube the next morning if I don't see it all.

22 hours ago, TheCid said:

I don't do streaming and it seems you have to subscribe to a lot of separate services to get a full range of offerings. 

It is often necessary to subscribe to several services because most free sources specialize in the type of content which they offer. I do not know how it is with other platforms but there are channels on Roku which offer only horror movies and others which offer only rom-coms and others which offer only classic television western programs and so on. "Subscribing" to these channels consists of pressing a button so that they are available from your home page.

Paying for subscriptions is necessary only for those services which carry modern movies and current television programs and sports.

• Thanks 1

My Wife and I are both 80 yrs old and Television is our only entertainment and we dont watch the same things.  But like all Providers, we had to get a "so-called" 220 channel plan (about 50 of them are music that we never use) on Comcast just to get the 40 to 50 channels that we watch, and TCM is/was a mainstay for us to watch the old movies.  Comcast has taken that away and NOT reduced our monthly premium. Our account on Xfinity still shows we have a 220 channel plan. 

Here is their reasoning quoted from Xfinity website:    
"Viewership of TCM is low, as over 90% of our customers watch less than two movies per month. Given this and contractual limitations on offering TCM a la carte, we decided to move TCM to the Sports Entertainment Package, which will help us manage programming costs that are passed on to our customers while continuing to make the channel available to those who want to watch it."

My answer to that:  The viewership at our house of the other 170-180 channels we have in our plan is ZERO%

All the providers make customers pay for what they dont want or need, and then Comcast takes away ONE that we do want.....and wont reduce our monthly cost.

What they are doing makes no sense, to contract with us for a set 220 channel plan, then change the plan , and still make us pay the same amount a month....In no way, is that Fair!!...and might/should be illegal.

It's long overdue for the TV providers to be forced to offer Cafeteria plans and let customers only pay for the channels they want to watch.

11 hours ago, mot925 said:

FYI- On Friday with no notice Xfinity Concast moved TCM to a higher tier charging $10.00 more month to watch TCM!☹️

You should have been notified in the Additional information section on the last page of your statement. That is how I found out and started this thread on August 23rd.

(I will probably cave and add the $10 package.)

8 minutes ago, SirMack said:

All the providers make customers pay for what they dont want or need, and then Comcast takes away ONE that we do want.....and wont reduce our monthly cost.

I went through this same argument a few years ago when TCM was moved to the Sports/Entertainment package in my area. I told them that if I was no longer going to have access to it, and didn't even receive any "replacement channels", shouldn't my bill go down in cost? They really didn't have an answer for that and I ended up with the upgraded package to get TCM again.

13 minutes ago, SirMack said:

It's long overdue for the TV providers to be forced to offer Cafeteria plans and let customers only pay for the channels they want to watch.

I Agree!

Just got off the phone with Xfinity/Comcast. First thing I heard, "If you're calling about Turner Classic Movies, press 1."

I got to a Rep. who was happy enough to remove the Digital Preferred package. If I added the Sports and Entertainment package now, I could have a free month.

So TCM is back with a credit. Nobody watches TCM, my eye!!!

That is what was said about FilmStruck. They were wrong there too.

For over 20 years, my mom (a heart patient) has put up with the stress of renegotiating contracts with Comcast. She was so distraught by the last round that I took over - and I understood her frustration after struggling with a string of unreliable Comcast reps. Now that Comcast has removed OUR FAVORITE MOVIE CHANNEL, TCM (with 3/4 of our contract remaining), we wish we'd switched to a streaming service. After this contract is up, we intend to ditch Comcast / Xfinity.

42 minutes ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

That is what was said about FilmStruck. They were wrong there too.

No, FilmStruck was sank because Warner wanted to be greedy and tribalistic about their Archive film catalog, once they had eyes on expanding their subscription services.

This was because Comcast wanted to be...well, okay, you may have a point.

(And welcome to all our new single-digit posters who showed up to add their Comcast-victim stories--I take it this thread has found its way to GoogleNews?)  :)

17 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

But unless they can get YouTube off the Internet and on to cable, I think they're in trouble.

Not sure if this point has been addressed on subsequent posts, but to mention that Cox Cable in San Diego offers youtube with a cable subscription. It is not complete access though. It may be only Youtube Television, a feature I see advertised on the usual youtube you get with a computer. I don't have it myself but I know a couple of people who do have it. You don't pay extra, it just comes with cable. But as indicated, I think it is limited access but still quite cool when I saw it on a friend's set. My understanding you don't have direct access to the Internet with this, but some part of the youtube is available, pumped through the cable line.

• Thanks 1