Dr. Somnambula

Comcast moving TCM to Sports/Entertainment Package

118 posts in this topic

My current statement shows TCM SD/HD is moving to their Sports and Entertainment Package on October 10th. I have read where this is happening in other areas beside mine. For me, this is an extra $10/month. I can downgrade my package and save at least that much. It just means yet another annoying phone call to Comcast.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's how the cable companies do it, put all the good channels on a higher tier to squeeze more money out of their customers. To make up for all the customers they are losing.

SlingTV charges and extra $5 for TCM but, I only pay a total of $35 so I don't mind.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a reminder. Comcast is relocating TCM. (10/10)

I don't cut the cord as I watch too many channels that require an antenna, which I can't use.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my cable system put the kibosh on it today.

moved it to a non-basic package.

this is tcm's fault!

they shoulda put Hot Spell on for me.

I hope they're satisfied.

:angry:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't you know it. A colorized 3-D version of Hot Spell is on the November schedule.

Damn.

  • Haha 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Wouldn't you know it. A colorized 3-D version of Hot Spell is on the November schedule.

Damn.

ROFL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noticed today that TCM is missing on Comcast here in the Boston Metro-West area (Massachusetts).  Their website claims the channel is still in our lineup, but it isn't playing.   

As this is the most important channel for me personally, I was wondering if something has happened on TCM's end before I call Comcast about it.  Just in case there is some sort of outage.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, JD401 said:

Noticed today that TCM is missing on Comcast here in the Boston Metro-West area (Massachusetts).  Their website claims the channel is still in our lineup, but it isn't playing.   

As this is the most important channel for me personally, I was wondering if something has happened on TCM's end before I call Comcast about it.  Just in case there is some sort of outage.  

In my case Comcast is supposed to be moving TCM to a Sports/Entertainment Package today, but it hasn't happened yet. The Comcast website says TCM is still in my Preferred tier. If they have made a change, you should get a message that the channel is not in your package. In my case CMT is in that same Sports Package.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Took TCM away here in SW Florida. They want us to pay $10.00 a month more.  TCM is one of the few channels I consistently watch, most of cable is junk. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JD401 said:

Noticed today that TCM is missing on Comcast here in the Boston Metro-West area (Massachusetts).  Their website claims the channel is still in our lineup, but it isn't playing.   

As this is the most important channel for me personally, I was wondering if something has happened on TCM's end before I call Comcast about it.  Just in case there is some sort of outage.  

I'm not getting it either. doan know whether it has been dropped or what.

I'm down here in snookiland.

:D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, NipkowDisc said:

I'm not getting it either. doan know whether it has been dropped or what.

I'm down here in snookiland.

:D

 

Same thing happened last night in Pittsburgh.  TCM "disappeared" around 1 AM.  Calls this AM to Comcast first said:  "Yes, you still have it on your package" which then changed to:  "No, you would have to upgrade to get TCM and pay more $$ for cable" which contains 90% junk I never watch. Long story short, after hours on the phone with a Comcast rep, we have TCM once again but switched things around so we are actually paying less after "negotiating" a new Comcast package. I hate cable and if it weren't for the fact that our streaming channels (Netflix, Amazon Prime) are such a pain in the A** (half the time they load, the other half the time the don't) I would be cable cutting. The Comcast rep told me that mine was her 10th call this AM ****ing about the loss of TCM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NipkowDisc said:

my cable system put the kibosh on it today.

moved it to a non-basic package.

this is tcm's fault!

they shoulda put Hot Spell on for me.

I hope they're satisfied.

:angry:

 

I get where you're coming from.  After being a loyal cable customer from the inception of pay television, I returned my cable box, remote, and some wires to my local cable company office on Wednesday.  At the first of this month, the company had a channel shake up in which it took off several channels (which naturally, I liked watching) and replaced them with stations I couldn't stomach.  So, I have no television programs to watch.  Any content I want to enjoy will come on my desktop.  How long before I go with a competing company?  I don't know.  The thought of saving $125 a month is rather appealing to me.  If I can make it through the college football bowl season without tearing up the house, I'll be fine!  Maybe!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

nip has been asking for Hot Spell to be shown for years. I'm sure he saw the humor in the post.

It's like the Fifty Foot Woman and model-picture thing, that's supposed to be a "running gag", only-he-knows-why.

Let's just say Nip has always been one of our most colorful posters on the whole, ahem, spectrum.   

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Maybe TCM could show this in place of Hot Spell.

1_f.jpg

;)

Why should TCM have to run another movie? Why can't they finally air HOT SPELL? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, midwestan said:

So, I have no television programs to watch.  Any content I want to enjoy will come on my desktop.  How long before I go with a competing company?  I don't know.  The thought of saving $125 a month is rather appealing to me.  If I can make it through the college football bowl season without tearing up the house, I'll be fine!  Maybe!

It is my understanding that all content available on a desktop is available also on a television using a Roku. Most can be done simply by choosing the content provider from the Roku menu. There is the option also to transfer any streaming media or content such as movies stored on the hard drive of a desktop to a Roku using special apps created for that purpose. I believe that: Plex is one of these but I have no direct knowledge because we do not have such a need.

I highly recommend Roku to any who have cut the cord or are considering it. Roku devices currently cost from twenty to one-hundred dollars. There is no subscription fee or other recurring fees for using a Roku and there are many, many content providers which do not charge subscriptions. I will suggest buying the highest-priced one because it can use a wired connection while all of the others are limited to WiFi. 

Some college football games can be watched for free. https://blog.roku.com/college-football-the-roku-channel

College football games in other sectors require subscribing to a service. https://blog.roku.com/college-football

We currently subscribe to two services: CBS All Access ($5.99 per month) and Amazon Prime Video ($8.99 per month as a standalone product separate from their free shipping and other Amazon Prime benefits). Those are the total costs with no taxes or other fees. CBC-AA allows us to watch live broadcast in our area as well as a large library of past and current programs. Amazon Prime has a large library of past programs. I have watched now all seasons of: Monk and Eureka and am nearly finished with Columbo. There are sixteen other programs currently in my 'wishlist' and those are only what I found during my first casual perusal of what is available.

It does slightly go against my grain to subscribe to even those two services when there is so much available at no cost but the cost is still a small fraction of what cable television service cost and which did not bring such variety.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, midwestan said:

I get where you're coming from.  After being a loyal cable customer from the inception of pay television, I returned my cable box, remote, and some wires to my local cable company office on Wednesday.  At the first of this month, the company had a channel shake up in which it took off several channels (which naturally, I liked watching) and replaced them with stations I couldn't stomach.  So, I have no television programs to watch.  Any content I want to enjoy will come on my desktop.  How long before I go with a competing company?  I don't know.  The thought of saving $125 a month is rather appealing to me.  If I can make it through the college football bowl season without tearing up the house, I'll be fine!  Maybe!

What are the channels that you "can't stomach"? Just curious, but if it's an issue, don't feel compelled to respond.

I sympathize with everyone out there in TV land who had their TCM move to a higher tier/different package. I didn't have that issue, as TCM has always been on a higher tier with my Comcast (previously Time-Warner) cable. I have always paid extra for TCM, and most if not all of the additional channels in that package are not anything that I watch, being mostly sports channels (Golf channel, some racing channels, a couple of outdoors/hunting/fishing channels, etc.). I've considered dropping that tier, or even cable altogether, but I haven't yet. There are no viable competitors here, either. Even the dish TV providers are a no go due to the topography. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

What are the channels that you "can't stomach"? Just curious, but if it's an issue, don't feel compelled to respond.

I sympathize with everyone out there in TV land who had their TCM move to a higher tier/different package. I didn't have that issue, as TCM has always been on a higher tier with my Comcast (previously Time-Warner) cable. I have always paid extra for TCM, and most if not all of the additional channels in that package are not anything that I watch, being mostly sports channels (Golf channel, some racing channels, a couple of outdoors/hunting/fishing channels, etc.). I've considered dropping that tier, or even cable altogether, but I haven't yet. There are no viable competitors here, either. Even the dish TV providers are a no go due to the topography. 

My cord was cut FOR me, when I moved to an new apartment and discovered there was no possible furniture arrangement where I could have the cable jack and TV on the same side of the room without cutting off access to one of the doorways.  But it was no loss, as I'd only had basic channels, and hadn't watched them regularly, outside of PBS, in more than a year.  Even the HD network affiliates thirty miles away I couldn't watch, since our topography similarly can't get air signals, and Comcast--in their generosity to specially package-price things we already know about, like landline phone and wi-fi--had moved all the HD network affiliates to their $99-150/mo. Digital Tier.  The minimum access level where the premium channels can be rented for an additional charge, including, yep, you guessed it.

Now I not only get by on Netflix, Amazon and PlutoTV, I also get by on "artificial TCM":  I wait to hear what everyone else is watching, and then I go next door to the library and look it up on disk.  😁

(If TCM had a private Amazon streaming sub-channel, like Showtime or Britbox, I might deign to pay extra for that, but Warner Don't Play That Game.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Comcast moved this to a Sports & Entertainment package that would cost $10 more than the high-tiered Digital Preferred package.  The S&E package includes 34 channels.  20 of these channels can already be had with Digital Starter and/or Digital Preferred leaving only 14 unique channels to the S&E package.  There really is only one entertainment channel that is Country Music Television (CMT).  There are two reality channels - Military History and Crime and Investigation.  The rest are sports including NFL Redzone.  I could never understand why they moved CMT to this some long time back, as they still enable you to get their music channel.

 

Why was CMT relegated it?  It has Last Man Standing reruns and the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders reality show plus whatever else.  I believe they once had Dukes of Hazard.  It's strange.  I have no interest in sports or the reality channels. 

 

Despite some nitpicks I have with TCM such as the longer you watch, the more frustrated you tend get with what they can't, or choose not, to put on, I will miss it, as I won't pay more just to get it.  It's been a depressing day having lost a long time staple in my TV viewing and at a time when I've long wanted them to air Godzilla and friends (still...no Gamera?).

 

I would really love to know the justification for this package, let alone moving channels like TCM to it.  Why pay $10 for most of the channels you get otherwise, if subscribing to the others, and only three odd, if not pointless channels, not including TCM?  Why doesn't Comcast just raise the cost of Digital Preferred a couple of bucks, if that's the issue?  Is Time-Warner responsible for this move, as suggested by another?  Why?  it really feels like a scam of some kind.

 

Next week I'll be downgrading to Digital Starter.  I can't totally get rid of cable just yet and may wait for the streaming circus dust to settle, if I do.  Instead of gaining $10, Comcast will lose nearly $20.  i am a little surprised more people are not upset over this, particularly when this move posted on this forum some while back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

New Members:

Register Here

Learn more about the new message boards:

FAQ

Having problems?

Contact Us