Sign in to follow this  
yanceycravat

Thank You TCM for the new What A Characters

21 posts in this topic

In the past few weeks I've seen two What A Character installments that are new to me so I assume are new productions; Jessie Ralph and Mildred Natwick. I hope there will be more to come!

Below is a list I've compiled. Please let me know if there are any missing.

What A Character - Beulah Bondi
What A Character - Conrad Veidt
What A Character - Edna Mae Oliver
What A Character - Eugene Pallette
What A Character - Eve Arden
What A Character - Frank McHugh
What A Character - Guy Kibbee
What A Character - Hattie McDaniel
What A Character - Jessie Ralph
What A Character - Marjorie Main
What A Character - Mary Wickes
What A Character - Mildred Natwick
What A Character - Rags Ragland
What A Character - SZ Sakall
What A Character - William Demarest
What A Character - William Frawley

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I thought some other choices might be:

Franklin Pangborn

Eric Blore

Allan Jenkins

Margaret Hamilton

Elizabeth Patterson

Edward Everett Horton

Aline MacMahon

• Like 4

7 hours ago, yanceycravat said:

In the past few weeks I've seen two What A Character installments that are new to me so I assume are new productions; Jessie Ralph and Mildred Natwick. I hope there will be more to come!

I hope you're right about TCM re-instating What A Character.  It was one of my favorite short features on the channel.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lydecker said:

I hope you're right about TCM re-instating What A Character.  It was one of my favorite short features on the channel.

Was this series created by TCM or is this an 'old' series that TCM is broadcasting?  (e.g. something created decades ago).

5 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Was this series created by TCM or is this an 'old' series that TCM is broadcasting?  (e.g. something created decades ago).

It looks like it was made by TCM.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It was either internally produced by TCM or commissioned by them back in the day.  If Mildred Natwick and Jesse Ralph are among the ones recently seen I am pretty sure they have to be new.  The ones from the original series that I remember are:  Edna May Oliver, Beulah Bondi, Guy Kibbee, Eugene Pallette, S.Z Sakall, William Demarest and William Frawley. 

Incidentally, the older ones , tended to be narrated by memorable supporting players of films of the 90s and/or now... James Cromwell did quite a few (Guy Kibbee, Sz Sakall, William Demerest). Bonnie hunt did Marjorie Main and Edna May Oliver. Joan Cusack did Beulah Bondi.

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

Incidentally, the older ones , tended to be narrated by memorable supporting players of films of the 90s and/or now... James Cromwell did quite a few (Guy Kibbee, Sz Sakall, William Demerest). Bonnie hunt did Marjorie Main and Edna May Oliver. Joan Cusack did Beulah Bondi.

I knew Joan Cusack did Beulah Bondi (no mistaking that voice) but I didn't realize James Cromwell did some of the others. (Duh  --  Now that I know it I can totally hear his voice doing the voice-overs.)

I’d like to see TCM produce a new letterbox promo where we have a new director (who is alive) talk about how he gets the “heebie jeebies” when he thinks of Ben Hur not letterboxed.

• Haha 2

I caught the Mildred Natwick one entirely by accident a couple of days ago. I don't know if it's one of the new ones, but it was new to me. I had no idea she was the prostitute in Long Voyage Home! And The Maltese Bippy looks like it might be fun.

12 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

And The Maltese Bippy looks like it might be fun.

Don't bet the farm on that.

Yancey, many thanks for starting this thread. And add Edward Everett Horton and Aline MacMahon to the list of character actors who should be included.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/25/2019 at 1:00 AM, yanceycravat said:

There was a Red Buttons short, narrated by Michael Richards.

1 hour ago, Brrrcold said:

There was a Red Buttons short, narrated by Michael Richards.

That was a Red Skelton not a Red Buttons.  That falls under the heading of what used to be known as STAR STORIES. Now they are under "TCM Original Productions".

• Thanks 1

I happened upon the Mildred Natwick one this past wknd. I think it was on the tail end of a movie I'd recorded during the week that I watched over the wknd.

45 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

That was a Red Skelton not a Red Buttons.  That falls under the heading of what used to be known as STAR STORIES. Now they are under "TCM Original Productions".

Weren't those the pieces TCM did back in the day for the Star of the Month?

25 minutes ago, Fedya said:

Weren't those the pieces TCM did back in the day for the Star of the Month?

I think so and I think it is a real shame that TCM no longer does pieces for each SOTM and each SUTS designee.  How lazy/cheap can they be???

Glad to hear that the great Mildred Natwick and Jessie Ralph have been added to the "What a Character" line-up, which is a very enjoyable featurette.  I'm looking forward to seeing them.

In addition to the excellent additions that other folks have suggested, I'd recommend also including Edward Brophy, Charlie Grapewin, and Nat Pendleton.  (Nat's background -- Columbia student, Olympic medalist -- provides a particularly interesting contrast to the characters he often played.)

There are undoubtedly other outstanding character actors who also deserve the recognition!

• Like 2

Glad you mentioned Nat Pendleton, I am a big fan of his! I would also put into the same category with Nat, ”Slapsie” Maxie Rosenbloom and Mike Mazurki. These three guys were definitely “characters”.

3 hours ago, BingFan said:

In addition to the excellent additions that other folks have suggested, I'd recommend also including Edward Brophy, Charlie Grapewin, and Nat Pendleton.  (Nat's background -- Columbia student, Olympic medalist -- provides a particularly interesting contrast to the characters he often played.)

There are undoubtedly other outstanding character actors who also deserve the recognition!

Thanks for mentioning Edward Brophy and Nat Pendleton.  I love those guys and was astonished when I found out Nat attended Columbia University.  (DUH, IT'S WHAT'S CALLED ACTING, LYDECKER.  HE ONLY PLAYS A DOPE.) I'd also add Allen Jenkins to that list of deserving character actors who should get a "What A Character" segment.  These guys worked forever (long after the studio system disappeared) and segued to TV with ease and added more credits to their wonderful careers. The character actors are the best!

• Like 2