schabelf

TCM showed movie in wrong format

16 posts in this topic

I just watched Woman times Seven which I had recorded a few days ago. This was supposedly the first time TCM had shown this film. I wonder why, with TCM's reputation for showing films uncut and unadulterated, they showed this film in pan and scan 1.37:1 when the correct aspect ratio is 1.85:1. Especially since the film is available on DVD in the correct aspect ratio.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

The copy they showed was probably cheaper to rent.

You said this recently about another movie. I think you said "cheapie." It was When Tomorrow Comes if I recall.

Should this become a habit, some may go looking elsewhere. My cable provider (Comcast) is moving TCM to an add-on package. It will be easy to take or leave.

It will also make it easier to track TCM subscriber count.

<You know, just sayin'.>

You've been talking about BritBox, which impressed me. I'd like to see BritBox and Acorn TV come together.

• Thanks 1

TCM has also shown 1957's A Hatful of Rain in pan & scan even though Fox Movies (or whatever they call themselves now) has shown it in letterbox.

There have been other films post-wide screen era that have appeared in pan-and-scan prints on TCM before.... I think that film The Oscar (1966) was pan and scan, as was a showing of 1963's Take Her She's Mine.

7 hours ago, The Keeper said:

You said this recently about another movie. I think you said "cheapie." It was When Tomorrow Comes if I recall.

Should this become a habit, some may go looking elsewhere. My cable provider (Comcast) is moving TCM to an add-on package. It will be easy to take or leave.

It will also make it easier to track TCM subscriber count.

<You know, just sayin'.>

You've been talking about BritBox, which impressed me. I'd like to see BritBox and Acorn TV come together.

It is no more a habit for TCM to show movies out of true aspect ratio now than it has ever been.  Not knowing how TCM gets its movies, or what they know is in any particular 'print' they get, it's impossible (for me) to say why we end up with them here and there.  All I can say is that if you are ready to give up on TCM due to wrong aspect ratios, then you have high standards.  So high, they will eliminate a lot of movie watching for you for the sake of a few miscalls.  

1 hour ago, slaytonf said:

It is no more a habit for TCM to show movies out of true aspect ratio now than it has ever been.  Not knowing how TCM gets its movies, or what they know is in any particular 'print' they get, it's impossible (for me) to say why we end up with them here and there.  All I can say is that if you are ready to give up on TCM due to wrong aspect ratios, then you have high standards.  So high, they will eliminate a lot of movie watching for you for the sake of a few miscalls.  

I've had ongoing audio issues with all things digital TV. So by comparison, I expect TCM to do better than "cheap." If I want cheap, there is plenty for free. Aspect ratios have been totally messed up ever since digital. I've been nothing short of furious with digital TV for about 12 years now. I've been paying $10/month for only TCM for a long time. My money just might be better spent for better quality.

12 hours ago, TopBilled said:

The copy they showed was probably cheaper to rent.

"there's your answer" -lee j. cobb, twelve angry men

:D

• Haha 1

Are you positive the broadcast is incorrect aspect ratio? Most televisions have an "aspect ratio" button where you can easily change the image shown on your screen.

For example, if you notice people's heads cut off the top of your screen, you need to change your TV's a/r to "normal" instead of "zoom".

I pop back & forth between screen a/r all the time - so many early films are "normal" square, while many 60's and later movies are "widescreen".

I also prefer my TV's "theater mode" screen setting for black & white films instead of "standard". It makes the blacks & whites much less harsh and more sepia toned, easier on old folks eyes.

Since apparently nobody listens, reporting these issues here is like a black hole.

5 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Are you positive the broadcast is incorrect aspect ratio?

Yes.

In my case I use a "dumb" system to record the HD feed directly to HD  (No SD equipment in the signal chain.  My recording equipment is not capable of making these types of corrective aspect ratio adjustments for the recording.)  What I record is what airs.  I can correct it later on with a computer though.

So at least for me the most common of these aspect ratio errors on their HD feed is a 4:3 (1.35:1 academy) filling up most or all of the HD 16:9 ratio.  That is, the correct height but way too wide - making everyone look fat. 

On the HD feed, a 4:3 film should be surrounded by padding on both sides, effectively making it a native 16:9 image, a natural fit for 16:9 HD TVs, with the 4:3 film shown in the middle at the correct aspect ratio.  Leave out that padding on the HD feed, or put the wrong padding in, and you have aspect ratio issues.

Most recently I recorded Two For The Seasaw with Robert Mitchum and Shirley MacLaine.  That is originally a 2.35:1 widescreen film, but was broadcast at a bit wider AR than that.  Possibly 2.55:1.  Too much padding on the top and bottom of the picture.  I didn't bother with the specifics for this oddball, I just adjusted it by increasing the height of the picture by eye in the video editor until it looked about right.

Most televisions have an "aspect ratio" button where you can easily change the image shown on your screen.

Plenty on the forums still aren't able to use the controls on their TVs to correct this.  Considering some of the posters who report these types of issues, I am more inclined to say that, rather than multiple cases of technical ineptitude, their TVs are not capable of fixing it.

For example, if you notice people's heads cut off the top of your screen, you need to change your TV's a/r to "normal" instead of "zoom".

"Normal" to "Stretch", or "Stretch-to-fit", would actually change the AR.  

"Zoom" should be the exact same AR as "Normal", just uniformly enlarged (same ratio).

• Like 1

I never change the settings on my TV or cable box. There is normal or zoom. Nothing else.

A funny thing, M*A*S*H, on MeTV, is widescreen. I have also seen The Waltons in widescreen, perhaps on one of the Hallmark Channels. I was not aware of either program being filmed that way. Picture appears normal.

As for the suggestion I'd dump TCM for such a simple reason is not so. If I were to take on Acorn TV, BritBox, or Disney+, TCM would have to go.

I'm not alone. On a cord cutters site, many who want Disney+, are planning to reduce something else.

Hmm...  Moved to the wrong forum, but maybe somebody from TCM will see it here.  Though now hardly anyone else will, except the sleepless and perpetually bored.

1 hour ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Hmm...  Moved to the wrong forum, but maybe somebody from TCM will see it here.  Though now hardly anyone else will, except the sleepless and perpetually bored.

I don't get enough sleep!

20 hours ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Most recently I recorded Two For The Seasaw with Robert Mitchum and Shirley MacLaine.

Avoided a/r issues by duping a library copy.

Another "new" TV shocker- TVs no longer COME WITH REMOTES. First they got rid of all the buttons on the actual set in case your remote breaks/gets lost. NOW they've simply eliminated the remotes thinking just everyone streams and uses Alexa/Siri whatever the spoken flavor of the month....

I had to buy my 90 y/o Mom a new TV last week, mostly due to remote unit malfunction. (the TV wasn't so hot either) There were very few choices available with remote units included!

1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

Avoided a/r issues by duping a library copy.

Another "new" TV shocker- TVs no longer COME WITH REMOTES. First they got rid of all the buttons on the actual set in case your remote breaks/gets lost. NOW they've simply eliminated the remotes thinking just everyone streams and uses Alexa/Siri whatever the spoken flavor of the month....

I had to buy my 90 y/o Mom a new TV last week, mostly due to remote unit malfunction. (the TV wasn't so hot either) There were very few choices available with remote units included!

Yikes...  Voice activated TVs without real remotes.  That's nuttier than I would have imagined.  What happens when you get a TV commercial for that TV, showing happy people using it.

This puzzles me. I have not been to a bricks and mortar in years, but in looking at TVs on the Internet, they seem to have remotes. For years now, you need the remote from the cable or satellite company to change channels. I have a remote for my TV, and only use it to change settings. The cable remote does everything else.

If you purchase a Roku of Amazon Fire TV, the remotes don't have channel buttons. You use navigation keys. I can't get excited over voice commands.

You've a good daughter TikiSoo. These days TVs may not have the quality they use to. American brand names are no longer American.

I am curious about the Panavision style TVs. What do the other aspect ratios look like? I watch a decent amount of older shows not in widescreen. Then again, imagine Ben-Hur taking up the entire screen!