JakeHolman

Carol Lynley, ‘The Poseidon Adventure’ Star, Dies at 77

86 posts in this topic

I enjoyed her performances in these films:

BLUE DENIM (1959)
RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE (1961)
UNDER THE YUM YUM TREE (1963)
THE SMUGGLERS (1968)

And she's excellent in a 1968 episode of The Big Valley playing Lee Majors' love interest.

I am not familiar with Carol Lynley. I am sorry to hear that she has passed. I think TCM already had a prime time schedule devoted to her within the upcoming week. I cannot help but feel like I jinxed poor Miss Lynley by setting up “Bunny Lake is Missing” to record on my DVR. 

she sure looked fantastic as dud stella stevens-(reportedy has dementia) & Pamela Sue Martin in those "HOT PANTS" had all three looking sexy, know that's not pc garbage, but I like a *John (The Duke) Wayne-(l907-l979) go by my own pace & not with the current flow!?

Is hat 3 stars now by the way?

She was such a fresh face when she appeared in Disney's Light in the Forest (1958) with James MacArthur, which would be a great candidate for the From the Disney Vault series. Blue Denim would probably be considered her "breakout" role, but Fox tended to just plug her into generic ingenue roles even though she was capable of better. She had a lighthearted, playful quality which I really liked.

R.I.P. seen some of her films The Night Stalker with Darren McGavin I like a lot.

THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE is one of my favorite childhood films. In 1982, ten years after it came out, I had the pleasure of meeting Carol Lynley when they filmed an episode of the short-lived tv show, BAKER'S DOZEN at my university. I couldn't believe I actually got to meet someone who was in THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE.

RIP Ms. Lynley, there's got to be a morning after...

• Like 2

Are the TCM programmers psychic?  Carol Lynley is featured in two films this coming Sunday evening (Sept. 8th) - Bunny Lake is Missing (1965) and Blue Denim (1959).

2 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

Are the TCM programmers psychic?  Carol Lynley is featured in two films this coming Sunday evening (Sept. 8th) - Bunny Lake is Missing (1965) and Blue Denim (1959).

I'm guessing there will be some sort of disclaimer before each showing.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yanceycravat said:

I'm guessing there will be some sort of disclaimer before each showing.

I hope my comment doesn't come off as being disrespectful.  I just wanted to point out the coincidence for something that was planned a long time ago.  I'm sure they will add some note before the regular introductions.

TCM just showed Return To Peyton Place last week starring Carol Lynley. Very sad, she was such a lovely, sweet looking actress.

RIP Carol Lynley

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

I hope my comment doesn't come off as being disrespectful.  I just wanted to point out the coincidence for something that was planned a long time ago.  I'm sure they will add some note before the regular introductions.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The wrap-arounds for most films on TCM are shot well in advance of the pictures that are aired.  I would be willing to bet that most of the wraps for the October schedule are finished, with work possibly beginning on shows that will air in November being done now.

Sorry to hear, my first movie star crush. I would seek out every film, TV appearance she was in the 1970s. 

"The Poseidon Adventure" is one of my favorites, though it is an ensemble piece, so much of the cast is gone now.

She had played the Robert Walker role in the remake of "Strangers On A Train" called 'Once You Kiss A Stranger" she was pretty good but the movie was awful. In a TV anthology show, (I can't recall if it was "Night Gallery" or "Tales Of The Unexpected"), she also played a murderer in a twist ending. 

She played some standard girl friend roles in good TV movies like "The Night Stalker" and "The Elevator" (James Farentino played a claustrophobic thief).

• Like 1

I feel bad, I was badmouthing her recently on the Just Watched thread, I think, about Return to Peyton Place. And it's super weird they are showing Bunny on Sunday. I hadn't heard about Blue Denim. I will record that as I only saw it once many years ago. She never really got out of the 60s starlet rut of so many 60s young actresses they put in fluff movies (The Pleasure Seekers; Under the Yum Yum Tree, etc.) Poseidon was her main claim to fame.

22 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that.  The wrap-arounds for most films on TCM are shot well in advance of the pictures that are aired.  I would be willing to bet that most of the wraps for the October schedule are finished, with work possibly beginning on shows that will air in November being done now.

I'm sure the intros/outros were long ago recorded, but they could add some kind of disclaimer title card without having to record any new speeches.

22 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Sorry to hear, my first movie star crush. I would seek out every film, TV appearance she was in the 1970s. 

"The Poseidon Adventure" is one of my favorites, though it is an ensemble piece, so much of the cast is gone now.

She had played the Robert Walker role in the remake of "Strangers On A Train" called 'Once You Kiss A Stranger" she was pretty good but the movie was awful. In a TV anthology show, (I can't recall if it was "Night Gallery" or "Tales Of The Unexpected"), she also played a murderer in a twist ending. 

She played some standard girl friend roles in good TV movies like "The Night Stalker" and "The Elevator" (James Farentino played a claustrophobic thief).

Yes, Once You Kiss A Stranger WAS awful! I remember it playing one week in theaters. Instead of tennis, it took place on a golf course. (FORE!) Talk about boring. I caught in on tv not too long ago (was it on TCM? I can't remember).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'm sure the intros/outros were long ago recorded, but they could add some kind of disclaimer title card without having to record any new speeches.

I'm sure that's what they'll probably do. I know they did that after Doris Day died and they were showing one of her movies (before her tribute day). I think it was Glass Bottom Boat.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, Once You Kiss A Stranger WAS awful! I remember it playing one week in theaters. Instead of tennis, it took place on a golf course. (FORE!) Talk about boring. I caught in on tv not too long ago (was it on TCM? I can't remember).

Yes, it aired on TCM within the last year or so on the late shift....

10 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'm sure that's what they'll probably do. I know they did that after Doris Day died and they were showing one of her movies (before her tribute day). I think it was Glass Bottom Boat.

That's right. It was Glass Bottom Boat.

29 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I feel bad, I was badmouthing her recently on the Just Watched thread, I think, about Return to Peyton Place. And it's super weird they are showing Bunny on Sunday. I hadn't heard about Blue Denim. I will record that as I only saw it once many years ago. She never really got out of the 60s starlet rut of so many 60s young actresses they put in fluff movies (The Pleasure Seekers; Under the Yum Yum Tree, etc.) Poseidon was her main claim to fame.

A lot of actresses did indeed get stuck in that rut. Her Pleasure Seekers co-star Ann-Margret and Jane Fonda were pretty much the only ones to emerge from that, and in both cases it was because of gritty parts in C*a*r*n*a*l Knowledge and They Shoot Horses Don't They....

Thanks, I thought it was TCM. I remember recording it. (Stranger). Yes, there's a long list. Stefanie Powers; Pamela Tiffin; Connie Stevens, etc.. Some had success in tv or other venues later on. Others just vanished.

Just now, Hibi said:

Thanks, I thought it was TCM. I remember recording it. (Stranger). Yes, there's a long list. Stefanie Powers; Pamela Tiffin; Connie Stevens, etc.. Some had success in tv or other venues later on. Others just vanished.

One who i feel never really had her due was Paula Prentiss. She had a few notable parts in the 70s (Stepford Wives and Parallax View, a risque cameo in Catch-22), but as talented as she was, she never was able to get the career she deserved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CinemaInternational said:

One who i feel never really had her due was Paula Prentiss. She had a few notable parts in the 70s (Stepford Wives and Parallax View, a risque cameo in Catch-22), but as talented as she was, she never was able to get the career she deserved.

Yeah, that's true. She deserved better. She did have that He and She series with her husband, but it only lasted one season.

1 hour ago, Roy Cronin said:

Yvette Mimieux

YUP!