JakeHolman

Carol Lynley, ‘The Poseidon Adventure’ Star, Dies at 77

86 posts in this topic

I think Delores Hart could've had a good career if she hadn't become a nun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

I feel bad, I was badmouthing her recently on the Just Watched thread, I think, about Return to Peyton Place. And it's super weird they are showing Bunny on Sunday. I hadn't heard about Blue Denim. I will record that as I only saw it once many years ago. She never really got out of the 60s starlet rut of so many 60s young actresses they put in fluff movies (The Pleasure Seekers; Under the Yum Yum Tree, etc.) Poseidon was her main claim to fame.

I hated Under the Yum Yum Tree. Jack Lemmon's character is such a creep--probably one of the worst characters he's ever played.

I was already planning on recording Bunny Lake is Missing.  I haven't seen Return to Peyton Place. I haven't seen The Pleasure Seekers either.  I may also record Blue Denim

2 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Yvette Mimieux

Yvette Mimieux didn't have the career I think she could have, but apparently she and her husband (who sounds like a very wealthy businessman) own a big beach resort in Mexico (I think in Cabo?). I didn't know until recently that Mimieux was married to Stanley Donen. 

9 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I hated Under the Yum Yum Tree. Jack Lemmon's character is such a creep--probably one of the worst characters he's ever played.

I was already planning on recording Bunny Lake is Missing.  I haven't seen Return to Peyton Place. I haven't seen The Pleasure Seekers either.  I may also record Blue Denim

The Pleasure Seekers shows up fairly often on Fox Movie Channel.

3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Yvette Mimieux

Say it FIVE TIMES, FAST.

(Not because it's hard, because it's FUN!)

Also drives cats crazy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

The Pleasure Seekers shows up fairly often on Fox Movie Channel.

I don't have Fox Movie Channel.  It's available, but I don't have that package.  I may be able to find it at the library. 

3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Say it FIVE TIMES, FAST.

Also drives cats crazy.

Yvette Mimieux is a great name. "Yvette" isn't a name you hear very often. 

How is Yvette's last name pronounced? Mim-oh? Mim-i-oh? Meem-oh? Meem-i-oh?

Yvette has a very interesting look.  I believe she's of French and Mexican heritage?

With the mention of Paula Prentiss, Dolores Hart and Mimieux, I think I'll need to watch Where the Boys Are tonight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't know the story of what happened to Yvette.  The name just came to me as belonging in the previously mentioned group.  Whether she found happiness elsewhere, got typecast and disappointed, had opportunities fizzle out or just said "acting is a ridiculous profession" , looking at you Diane Varsi, squanderer of possibilities (speaking of Peyton Place.)

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Say it FIVE TIMES, FAST.

Also drives cats crazy.

Speaking of pets, dogs always get a strange, kind of sad look in their eye if you bring up the name Sugarpuss O'Shea. (the Barbara Stanwyck character in Ball of Fire) They never fail to look at you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I don't have Fox Movie Channel.  It's available, but I don't have that package.  I may be able to find it at the library. 

Fox's movie channel repeats so very often, but its still a good way to pick up on maybe 20-25 Fox films that it otherwise costs a bit to see.

4 hours ago, Roy Cronin said:

Yvette Mimieux

I just like saying her name... But I have to do it with a French accent that sounds like Charles Boyer! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CinemaInternational said:

One who i feel never really had her due was Paula Prentiss. She had a few notable parts in the 70s (Stepford Wives and Parallax View, a risque cameo in Catch-22), but as talented as she was, she never was able to get the career she deserved.

Totally agree.  I think Paula Prentiss was enormously talented.  She brought something special to every film she was in.  She was on a roll there for a while but then seemingly disappeared.  A real shame.  She had "Old Hollywood" star quality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I feel bad, I was badmouthing her recently on the Just Watched thread, I think, about Return to Peyton Place. 

Not to speak ill of the dead but she was execrable in "Return To Peyton Place," a film I had fortunately never seen until last month during Mary Astor Day.  Though Lynley's character is the focal point of the movie her speaking in a non-stop monotone  --  "IT-IS-NOT-A-CLUB-LEWIS. IT-IS-A-SECRET-SOCIETY-LEWIS" etc. etc. etc. pretty much made me hit the Mute button every time she appeared on the screen. I vaguely remember her being slightly less wooden in other stuff . . . maybe.

4 hours ago, lydecker said:

Totally agree.  I think Paula Prentiss was enormously talented.  She brought something special to every film she was in.  She was on a roll there for a while but then seemingly disappeared.  A real shame.  She had "Old Hollywood" star quality.

Prentiss has such a unique voice.  I first saw Prentiss in Where the Boys Are and I thought that her voice didn't match her face.  But the more I see of Prentiss, the more I like her and the more I find her voice appealing and endearing.  She is so pretty in a girl next door, attainable way.  I thought she made a great pairing with Jim Hutton.  I loved her in Stepford Wives. "Joanna! I thought we were friends!" 

Oddly, I'd been aware of Lynley since my childhood, since I'd seen a TV-edited version of The Poseidon Adventure and her appearances on The Love Boat and Fantasy Island. She made a strong impression on me because of her slightly odd mouth and smile and her histrionics. I sort of wondered if she was troubled in real life because she always seemed on the verge of losing it on screen. But maybe that's just how good an actress she was.

But I never really saw that much of her after that. Thanks to TCM and DVDs, I've seen her since in Return to Peyton PlaceUnder the Yum Yum Tree, Shock Treatment and Bunny Lake is Missing. I'm sorry she never broke out into big-time leading lady roles like some of her contemporaries. I would watch a collection of her various ingenue roles if they all fell into my lap, but seeing as they were almost all from Fox, I'm not likely to see a ton of them on TCM.

I don't want to say I "like", but I was impressed by how utterly dependent she seemed to be on kindly Red Buttons in The Poseidon Adventure. In the hashtag MeToo era, we probably won't see any more big-budget blockbusters where a female is so helpless and dependent upon a man. It looks weird in retrospect. As a kid watching it on TV, I secretly hoped the two characters would marry sometime after the movie. As a jaded and bitter adolescent who had learned something about what females desire, I figured she would probably leave him for some horse's arse rich handsome jock. Cough, cough, ahem, excuse me.

• Like 1

I always enjoy seeing paula's sister ann prentiss as the cool stewardess in the out-of-towners.

I read she went nuts.

Image result for ann prentiss actress

Kolchak never did find her again after he was forced to leave las vegas over that vampire business.

:)

Image result for carol lynley the night stalker

On 9/6/2019 at 12:45 AM, speedracer5 said:

I am not familiar with Carol Lynley. I am sorry to hear that she has passed. I think TCM already had a prime time schedule devoted to her within the upcoming week. I cannot help but feel like I jinxed poor Miss Lynley by setting up “Bunny Lake is Missing” to record on my DVR. 

At one time she was considered to be on a competitive level with Sandra Dee, both started out as child models in New York.

But her career never reached star status.

"Blue Denim" was a much-talked-about controversial film in its day, 1959.

• Like 1

Hackman's powerful performance here was always underrated!? Especially his demise,etc

Now all say Stella Stevens has been locked up dye to Alzheimers   She's not very old either, *J. Woodward (l930-) is yet another & much older  However Rita Hayworth (l9l8-87) contracted that awful disease early

Gotta feeling *gene may comeback tough, not *Nicholson or *Connery though? *Pesci obviously has & *Penn insists he's done with acting

20 hours ago, lydecker said:

There’s a fascinating book called ALTERNATE OSCARS, It came out in, I think 1992. The author gives best picture, best actor, and best actress Oscars to who he thinks deserved it in  all the years They had been given up until then.

I have to say I agree with about 90% of his choices, but an odd one he makes is that in 1964 he picks PAULA PRENTISS in MANS FAVORITE SPORT? 

That movie came on TCM a few years back and I trIED to make it through, because it’s also directed by Howard Hawks, but I have to be honest, I was unimpressed.

Lois Chiles,  very much alive, requests that her name cease being mentioned vis a vis acting prowess.

She knows what happened to Carol Lynley.

• Like 1

Bunny Lake Is Missing is the movie I think of when I hear Lynley's name. I had forgotten about her being in The Poseidon Adventure, but I wasn't too impressed with that movie, either. I watched Blue Denim in the last year or two. It's worth seeing for being a time capsule of the time, but it's not very memorable, and of course not nearly as scandalous as the hype at the time implied. Other movies with Lynley that I've seen include The Last SunetUnder the Yum Yum TreeThe CardinalShock TreatmentThe Pleasure SeekersThe Shuttered RoomShadow on the Land (TV movie), Once You Kiss a StrangerThe Night Stalker (TV movie), Beware! The BlobThe Elevator (TV movie), The Four DeucesFlood! (TV movie), The Shape of Things to ComeVigilante, and Howling VI: The Freaks. Not much to celebrate, but some choice B-movie stuff later on.

BTW, I don't know who it is that mentions how awful Lois Chiles was in Death On the Nile, but I finally watched that movie a couple of days ago, and I have to agree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 8TH IN PRIME TIME (IS THIS A COINCIDENCE?!)

Yes, that was scheduled a few months ago, so it's a bizarre coincidence.

• Thanks 1

DID THIS SCHEDULE that beforehand or what?

again- I really liked BUNNY LAKE the one time I saw it, and while I think LYNLEY was limited as an actress, she works in the part quite well if you assume (quite right) that there is something a little "off" about her and her brother.